Twilight should be standardized.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:41 pm

Post by Gypyx »

What if peoples don't notice that it's twilight?

Also pagetop
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (4/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:28 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

*shrug*
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:38 pm

Post by Isis »

Gamma emeralds rule is good apart from the administrability concerns
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

can you put that into common english pls? Not trying to be rude, it's just "administrability" confuses me greatly
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:23 am

Post by Ircher »

Isis means it is hard to execute that rule in peactice. "Oh, I didn't know it was Twilight" and similar issues that crop up.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:57 am

Post by Isis »

What Ircher said. For a Micro perhaps you could just run with it
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:01 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

iirc the mods just delete posts that run afoul of that
If you think that's bad, then I kinda agree, but like they also deleted posts I made where I hardcore slipped as partners with someone for game integrity, so like, the culture just differs a good amount
tbh I'll actually inquire with some of the folks ther on how they handle it because I really don't remember atm
<Embrace The Void>

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:10 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Okay the answer was they would delete the offending posts, but if someone was deliberately breaking the rule they would get punished
<Embrace The Void>

Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:56 am

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

If you delete the posts, then some people will gain an unfair advantage if they saw the posts before deletion.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:24 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I think common sense would say to not bring those posts up. Beyond that it’s up to the player who saw it on how much they want to rely on it. If you know for sure someone is scum for their posts, you don’t have to cite those posts in order to get them limmed, but what you can do is make the best case you can with the assurance you’re current from those posts. That’s also how I try to turn cop results into legitimately valid reads when I play that role, I use my alignment check and I build a case for the alignment I got.
<Embrace The Void>

Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:06 pm

Post by Guillotina »

In post 23, Jake The Wolfie wrote:Twilight is a consequence of the mod not being able to be online 24/7.
This should be the only reason twilight exists in my opinion.

Why, because twilight is considered "out of character", meaning once a day is over, the game is over until the night phase starts. Using twilight as part of the game leads to potentially breaking the game. If someone is majority yeeted and twilight starts, that player has no reason to lie anymore right? That is what people would believe anyway, I would believe it. So it creates some sort of extra advantage for the faction that lost a member, since that player has nothing to lose anymore, he can just be honest (if the player is town) or he can manipulate town with the notion of a lie that looks like a truth (if the player is mafia) and break the fictitious mafia 4th wall, the bubble and based on this more interactions can be generated that otherwise would not take place if posting during twilight was not allowed.

It's a big mess imo.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:14 pm

In post 34, Gamma Emerald wrote:I think common sense would say to not bring those posts up.
It's not about quoting posts that no longer exists, it's the fact that you're deleting posts which may have potentially swayed the people who didn't see it in the way that it swayed the people that it did see. It would be like expecting yourself be treated as an IC when that information is only revealed to a random subset of the players.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:10 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

That’s just tough luck, and at that point you have to use honor system I think
I had a time where I accidentally stumbled upon a normal review thread for a game I was in, I found out there were some scum in the PRs, but partly for game integrity and partly to try to stay in myself I kept my lips zipped on that
I could have tried to angle for a motion based on it but iirc my WIM that game + my lifespan never let me
<Embrace The Void>

Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:34 pm

In post 37, Gamma Emerald wrote:That’s just tough luck, and at that point you have to use honor system I think
Honor system my ass. We're talking about subconscious decision making. I'm not qualified to talk about psychology, but I believe that you can't just use the honor system to convince your subconscious to not take into account what it clearly saw from other people to determine if someone is more or less scummy.
Gamma Emerald wrote:I had a time where I accidentally stumbled upon a normal review thread for a game I was in, I found out there were some scum in the PRs, but partly for game integrity and partly to try to stay in myself I kept my lips zipped on that
I would squabble that you should have asked to be replaced out, but I don't see anything in the Forum Rules and Guidelines that say that you can't do that, so
shrug

Also that's interesting, I thought that those threads were usually private threads, not to be released?
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:38 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I have no idea how I was able to see it looking back, but all I know is I saw the setup as it was when it was first put into review and from that I saw that one of the claims was a scum claiming their actual role
And like, obviously it will subconsciously affect you but people also read into replace-outs despite that being frowned upon. I think it’s in that tier of “frowned upon but hard to enforce”
<Embrace The Void>

Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:41 pm

With replacements, the loss of it affecting the subconscious is outweighed by the gain in either the game burden being lifted off of someone or a toxic player being removed. (There may be more, but I don't have a 3rd most common example)
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:34 pm

Post by PokerFace »

In post 3, MURDERCAT wrote:I do think it's an interesting idea, but it could really hurt scum, e.g. if they self hammer and town has 24 hours to coordinate PRs after
In post 5, MURDERCAT wrote:
In post 4, Ramcius wrote:Also, don't be a dipshit and don't wait for a hammer, when you on chopping block to give reads or whatever else you want to say before you're relegated to dead thread
I wish more people did this but players getting miselimmed usually have not acted in their best interest or the best interest of town
I agree with these. If I hammer as scum, I want night regardless of who is being eliminated.

BTW have we ever looked into code that would auto lock a thread when a hammer dropped? Obviously not have this code give a reveal since no code is prefect, but having it able to lock the thread might be good.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”