Newbie Queue - Health/Status in 2020

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:12 pm

Post by Cabd »

This is me volunteering to maintain a post of that sort ready to go that is visible only to people in the newbie moderator's hidden group btw.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami
Pronoun: ze/zir

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:16 pm

Post by Noraa »

:O me like
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Come play Guess that Scummer OR ELSE
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:20 pm

Post by the worst »

This makes me want to mod newbie games!! How exciting.
In post 3, Isis wrote:Is the last thing meant for newbies playing their second game onsite together? Or clusters of players with off-site experience playing a game together?
Independent of setup control, quasi-invitational newbie setups would be a big change.
This is tickling my brain in a good way.
I think one of the reasons I dove into MS so heavily was because at the end of my first game, the "dude who replaced after we killed the IC and basically played IC" advertised an open game he was running which was currently in signups. when giving feedback as an SE/IC in games, back in the day I used to try and take the dive and tell players if I thought they felt like, comfortable or experienced enough that they'd probably get a kick out of non-newbie games.

Even so, I think there are certain personalities which tend to avoid newbie games and there are definitely some newer players who can benefit from more exposure to other newbies.

I'm sorta waxing poetic. I think advertising non-newbie games is a great idea. Also agree a quasi-invitational for players with e.g. <5 games onsite + a small handful of generally well-regarded experienced players could be amazing.

edit:
In post 18, notscience wrote:I mean yeah SEs can do the same. I try to when I do it, I just feel like you also get some SEs who don’t care about that newbie retention or teaching and it goes south.
At risk of sounding cynical, I don't think people who are disinterested in teaching/newbie retention are a good fit for the SE role. :P
I also definitely think the "teaching" connotation of the IC role is better spread across multiple SE slots (I remember the "IC died n1, what do we do" vibe from the old days and... my poor brain)

edit again:
In post 23, Ircher wrote:I'm pretty sure the rule says that newbie mods have to check in at least once per day. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to post every day, but in most cases, they will have to anyway.
This is a reasonable take - sometimes (e.g. slow-moving but intense ELo/whatever where nobody is voting) vote counts every 12-24 hours can get cluttery, but regularly checking the thread is an absolute must.
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:03 am

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 25, Cabd wrote:This is me volunteering to maintain a post of that sort ready to go that is visible only to people in the newbie moderator's hidden group btw.
Welcome to the hidden group.
<(") | (")>
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:18 am

Post by Cabd »

Posted it in the old-new-again group so I can maintain it up to date, but public feedback on all my points is still welcome here~
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:29 am

Post by OkaPoka »

is a dead SE allowed to invite a dead newbie to sign up with them in a game elsewhere (in the dead thread) if the game is still ongoing?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:46 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 30, OkaPoka wrote:is a dead SE allowed to invite a dead newbie to sign up with them in a game elsewhere (in the dead thread) if the game is still ongoing?
I wouldn't see why not, if the players are both dead in the newbie game and the game the invite is for is in signups.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by Isis »

In post 30, OkaPoka wrote:is a dead SE allowed to invite a dead newbie to sign up with them in a game elsewhere (in the dead thread) if the game is still ongoing?
Yes
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “Mafia Discussion”