Term Replacement: Lovers and S* Bombers [CW: Self-Harm]

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:00 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 148, samantha97 wrote:
In post 142, TemporalLich wrote:Because of stereotypes and prejudice.

It's a common stereotype for Muslims to be portrayed as SD-Bombers, and it's an extremely damaging one.
I think implicit in connecting that stereotype of muslims to the role is itself engaging in it

no actual muslim would look at that role and see it as relating to themselves

I'm not gonna comment more on it though, I will leave you with a cute duck

Since I am not a Muslim, I won’t argue this, instead I will argue, that if there was an actual current mafia scum role that had any negative stereotypes/associatives to my specific ethnicity, I would definitely have a problem with it and leave it at that. :]
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:07 am

Post by Ythan »

In post 148, samantha97 wrote:no actual muslim would look at that role and see it as relating to themselves
Wow that's so fucking dumb and wrong lol
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:08 am

Post by Ythan »

You gonna post shit like that and then whine about anyone else making assumptions get the fuck outta here lol
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:12 am

Post by Guillotina »

In post 142, TemporalLich wrote:
In post 135, samantha97 wrote:more importantly why a muslim themselves would feel related to a suicide bomber role
Because of stereotypes and prejudice.

It's a common stereotype for Muslims to be portrayed as SD-Bombers, and it's an extremely damaging one.
Then it's our duty not to contribute feeding the prejudice starting with not changing terms because they might offend a religious group when they don't and shouldn't. I have several Muslim friends and when they hear anything about suicide bombing or bombing in general they don't assume it was a fellow Muslim that did it, why should we?

They don't feel guilty about it either, because a religion has nothing to do with violent tendencies of an individual? True Muslims not the extremists killing in the name of God are pacifists, so us employing suicide bombers is not offensive to them, what is offensive to them is people assuming that the term suicide bomber will offend them.
It's the implied link between a suicide bomber and a Muslim that offends them. Using suicide bomber out of that context is completely fine to them because SD-Bombers have been around since powder was invented by the Chinese.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:29 am

Post by Ythan »

In post 151, Ythan wrote:
In post 148, samantha97 wrote:no actual muslim would look at that role and see it as relating to themselves
Wow that's so fucking dumb and wrong lol
In post 152, Ythan wrote:You gonna post shit like that and then whine about anyone else making assumptions get the fuck outta here lol
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:40 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Two people had differing intuitions based on differing experiences. Both assumed their intuition was more valid than the other's.

Conflict ensued.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:40 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 153, Guillotina wrote:
In post 135, samantha97 wrote:more importantly why a muslim themselves would feel related to a suicide bomber role

Then it's our duty not to contribute feeding the prejudice starting with not changing terms because they might offend a religious group when they don't and shouldn't. I have several Muslim friends and when they hear anything about suicide bombing or bombing in general they don't assume it was a fellow Muslim that did it, why should we?

They don't feel guilty about it either, because a religion has nothing to do with violent tendencies of an individual? True Muslims not the extremists killing in the name of God are pacifists, so us employing suicide bombers is not offensive to them, what is offensive to them is people assuming that the term suicide bomber will offend them.
It's the implied link between a suicide bomber and a Muslim that offends them. Using suicide bomber out of that context is completely fine to them because SD-Bombers have been around since powder was invented by the Chinese.
In post 146, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:

+1

I actually know a Muslim actor/writer/director who experienced harassment and profiling a few years ago at a Canadian airport.
Thanks for that history lesson. :lol:
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:01 am

Post by Papa Zito »

It looks like the decision to change the role name was already made so the purpose of this thread is served. If you guys want to continue this conversation please to do so in a more appropriate area of the site.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”