post in this thread to get criticism[read post 0]

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:42 pm

Post by Bell »

In post 122, unwnd wrote:Do one for me as well Bell (town or scum). I value your input
Sure.

As town:
1. I'm not 100% certain but I feel like you're somewhat susceptible to being buddied. I suspect you like being town read and that this can bleed into or effect your reads somewhat. I think being able to differentiate between people trying to get on your good side and people trying to read you while being cordial might be in order. But this advice needs to be a lot more detailed and nuanced. I would simply think about what your needs are in a game and not advertising what those needs are as people will inevitably try to fulfill them in an attempt to get on your good side.
2. I think your effort in solving is great. But I think you need to somewhat narrow your list of variables that you should be willing to use when hunting. Rather, I think you need to find reliable, consistent scum tells that go beyond pattern recognition, spontaneously generated ideas or/and methods to sort. I feel like you don't have a system. This can be tricky tho, there aren't a lot of reliable scum tells and it's difficult to prove. I only really have a few statistically sound variables and everything else is pretty much me betting X or Y wouldn't do this but would do that/or being spontaneous with an opinion. It's a weakness I'm thinking about working on.
3. I think your communication skills are above average, this might paradoxically make it easier to sort you. I think you're a pleasure to work with as town and I think you try to create a positive play environment and that's a good thing.
4. Just general advice, don't over commit yourself. It's important for the enjoyment of yourself and others playing that you schedule yourself appropriately with wiggle room available.

As scum:
I don't have any advice for your scum game as I've never witnessed it. I suspect a simple flaw might be that you don't like being scum and might not be able to fake emulate your town game.

There's always more but eh.
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:52 pm

Post by unwnd »

I actually quite enjoy being scum and consider it to be my stronger suit, but I thought your advice was appropriate, and I will keep it documented. I appreciate it a ton
Stop
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:58 pm

Post by Menalque »

In post 116, Krazy wrote:Damn Mena you don't have to rub it in so hard, I have some variety
In post 117, Shirou wrote:
In post 116, Krazy wrote:Damn Mena you don't have to rub it in so hard, I have some variety
Sorry guys, posted in the wrong account
>.>
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:58 pm

Post by Menalque »

I would be interested in feedback from Bell, too
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:43 pm

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

In post 105, Maestro wrote:Same, and maybe linked games - I think ppl who've known me on-site for awhile know I flake out on the regular too... happy to offer you feedback on some of my own "triggers" for various reasons I've flaked at times.
Here are some of my games:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=84852
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=84012 (note: hydra)
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=83106
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=82166
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=77839
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:14 pm

Post by Bell »

In post 128, Menalque wrote:I would be interested in feedback from Bell, too
Town:
1. You're weak to certain types of aTe. Acknowledge it, try to figure out if it's scum saying it. I would refrain from using ethical tells or line crossing tells or "they wouldn't say X as scum, would they?" type aTe arguments for town reading those people in particular.
2. You self acknowledge that your ability to scum read folk accurately is just okay. You need to sharpen that package of tools to differentiate between town and scum. Even something like getting a better grasp on the mechanics of a game might help you to better locate scum or town. You've mentioned the importance of focusing on what scum do rather than what you think scum do. The natural progression of this is to test whether you've interpreted what scum do, but town won't into practice.
3. Your own conduct needs to be divorced from the conduct of others insofar as you treat them. If they're disrespectful, treat them respectfully anyway. Mafia is political, but emotional restraint is also an important skill to exercise. Do not escalate arguments. I don't know what your motivation or what you enjoy most about mafia is. But I think focusing on your enjoyment of positive aspects of mafia while reducing or minimizing negative aspects would make for more enjoyable playing. People tend to get bored if you don't raise to their bait.
4. I think you're pretty good at convincing people to eliminate people you think are mafia.
5. I think you're pretty good at being hard to eliminate as town.

Scum: I don't recall you ever rolling scum in our games. I have no idea how to spot your scum game.

There's plenty of additional things but I'm not confident talking about it as I'm not really qualified to give advice.
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:57 am

Post by Menalque »

Thanks, Bell, appreciated!
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:23 pm

Post by Bell »

Happy to, happy cake day, but like I said.
Take it with a grain of salt.

The only real advice in this game for scum hunters is find and gather real data and find empirical scum tells through testing.

I'm not sure what the real advice would be for scum play since it's a bit tricky because the, 'do whatever you need to do to get people to trust you' only works once.
Raya36
Raya36
Mafia Scum
Raya36
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:42 pm

Post by Raya36 »

I'd love any advice/criticism on my play if anyone wants to. I've been trying a little harder to be better as town and especially as scum lately. My most recent scum game was a huge step up from my past scum games but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”