How to meme without getting modkilled (a player's guide)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

How to meme without getting modkilled (a player's guide)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:05 pm

Post by Hopkirk »

How to meme without getting modkilled

Have you ever wanted to make memey posts in a game of mafia but were too worried that posting them would make everyone in the game hate you, force the moderator to modkill you, cause the other players to hunt you down in real life to kidnap your family and smash your windows, and just generally ruin your life? I can’t do anything to stop people breaking your windows, but I can at least give you a bit of guidance on how to meme without getting modkilled. That’s why I made this thread entitled ‘How to meme without getting modkilled’ to serve as a guide to how you can meme without getting modkilled.

Why do people get modkilled? Is it because the mods don’t like them, bad luck, or just natural causes? For years people didn't know. Most games ended with an unfortunate modkill in Lylo (what they called Lelo in the old days) leaving most of the players confused and unsatisfied. Fortunately, the admins decided to take pity on us and provide some guidance. I've examined this guidance, along with common warnings present in standard rulesets, and provided a thorough explanation of how these rules might affect your memery. If you get modkilled now, you'll know there’s a reason for it in addition to the mod not liking you. Please note, I deny any culpability for people misinterpreting any of my suggestions.
Do not bring outside influences into the game - this includes threats, bribes, wagers, promises, "trust tells", alliances, etc. Using knowledge from previous games is perfectly acceptable, but try not to carry grudges from one game to another.
The cannier reader will have already noticed that rule doesn’t actually prevent threats, blackmail, and vaguely menacing statements made while wielding sharp implements, it just redirects those threats to the mod. Sure, they might modkill you, but if your blackmail is good enough then you can probably persuade them otherwise. In practice, this rule basically means if you want to threaten another player you just need to threaten the mod as well.

Trust tells are a bit trickier to deal with. Sometimes the quality of your memeing might be influenced by your alignment. If you repeatedly mention that you don’t meme as scum then don’t meme then you’re at danger of being modkilled for trust tells, even if what you said was all part of a meta-meme where the commentary on your memeing was itself the meme and you would have done it even if you rolled town too. I recommend dumping around fifty memes in the first ten pages to make sure you’re safe.

Carrying over grudges from previous games is entirely naturally and you shouldn’t feel bad to admit to those urges. If you intent to post a series of high quality memes and you spot someone in the game who doesn’t find your memeing funny then you might want to consider faking a guilty cop check on them. Best case scenario, they flip scum and you reap in the towncred. Best case scenario, they flip scum and everyone assumes you were just memeing and they’ll probably just townlock you for it since they’re afraid to admit they didn’t get it. I said best case twice there because there’s literally no downside. You got rid of someone who wouldn’t enjoy your memery in favour of keeping someone who does in the game; you probably even solved the game at the same time. You’re pretty great you know that?
This is a game. Have fun, and keep the game fun for other people. This might be the most important rule.
Personally, I’m a little disappointed at how little this rule is actually enforced in practice. You see it in pretty much every game and yet I’ve never actually seen someone modkilled because the mod didn’t think they were having enough fun. It’s enough to make you wonder if your mod really wants you to have fun or is just putting that one in there because it’s expected. I don’t know about you, but if I got modkilled halfway through a nice little heated toxic 1v1 because the mod thought I wasn’t enjoying it then I’d feel touched to see how much they cared.
The following is a list of outlawed shenanigans:
Using invisible text, codes, cryptography, etc.
Editing your posts (if you have the power to do so)
Insulting other players
Quoting any PTs you may have access to
Sometimes we all get that urge to edit our posts to add some encoded burns we enjoyed hearing in our quicktopics, but did you know this might put you at danger of getting modkilled? These four are normally grouped together, so realistically as long as we’re only breaking one of them at once we should probably get off with just a warning. Like I always say, make sure you’re only breaking one law at a time, and make sure that law isn’t tax evasion.
Do not attempt to play the same game under more than one name.
If you want to do any coordinated memery then find someone else to do it with. Not only do you avoid the modkill and siteban that comes from breaking this rule, you’ll probably make some amazing friends who’ll stick with you until they realize a lifelong vendetta would be ‘hilarious’ and ‘good memes’.

‘But Hopkirk’ you might be saying, ‘everyone on the site hates me because I’ve been following your advice and now I can’t find anyone who’ll associate with me, let alone agree to coordinate memes with me.’ First off, fuck you. My advice is amazing. You just interpreted it wrong. That’s why you got sitebanned, not because my advice was ‘deeply questionable’ and ‘a reason we want to have a talk with you about what’s appropriate to post in mafia discussion’. I even specifically denied any culpability for people misinterpreting my advice. Maybe you should have read it more carefully. Yeah, I put some effort into this guide, and you didn’t even bother to read it? Wow. Maybe you’re the bad guy here.
Do not talk outside the game thread about an ongoing game except where explicitly allowed to do so by your role/moderator.
Pretty clear cut. Coordinate any memeing within the thread or your scum QT. Try to avoid exclusively coordinating memes when you have a scum QT to coordinate them in as otherwise people will start catching on and voting you off before you can finish coordinating your memes.

As a side note, it’s always worth jokingly asking your mod something like ‘you don’t mind if I talk about the thread with my stepsister right lol?’ The mod will probably assume you’re memeing, especially if you have a reputation as a memer. Remember, it’s not that hard to make a strong town player your stepsister if you’re willing to ruin a couple of marriages and/or partially an orphan. Getting adopting is technically an option, but arguably going too far just for a mafia game. I’d probably stick to just making a couple of people’s parents disappear, then making the survivors into a couple (of people). That’s far more reasonable.
Do not quote communications with the moderator (in particular, your role PM). Paraphrasing is usually ok.
This is one you absolutely don’t want to do because, presumably, the mod knows what they’ve said to you. It’s really hard to sell the standard defence of ‘I didn’t actually read those communications; I just typed the exact same thing independently of you word for word. We are vibing so hard we must be soul mates! Please never leave me.’ This is really the only viable defence, and it basically never works, so I’d generally recommend you avoid quoting your role pm wherever possible.
Do not post in the game after you are dead or replaced. Some moderators do allow contentless "Bah!" posts, but you should never reveal information once you are dead.
You may have noticed that this doesn’t carry the exception, ‘except where explicitly allowed to by your role’. If your moderator tells you that you’ve become a ‘tree stump’ then
don’t fall for it.
Yes, you can still get modkilled after you die. That's why you should never do wacky rulebreaking stuff after you die then sarcastically ask 'what are you gonna do, modkill me?' The answer to this of course is 'yes', they can modkill you and you'll look ridiculous.

This rule also cleverly covers the scenario where you have the perfect idea for a hilariously appropriate alt halfway through the game. If you want to sub out to sub in under that different account, you should make sure that you don’t tell anyone. I recommend making up an excuse such as ‘I accidently quoted my role pm in person to three people who weren’t the game mod, and I only do that as town who isn’t having fun.’
Play to win the game.
Over my first five games on the site my winrate dipped below 50% and I was terrified someone was going to notice. Obviously at that point I was arguably bad enough at the game that I was signing up to games where I couldn’t in good faith say that my presence would increase my presence would be a benefit to my alignment. Fortunately in my sixth game on site somebody told me to ‘git gud’ and it motivated me to improve enough that I’m no longer in danger. If you’re bad enough that mods have started modkilling you just for signing up please consider this me telling you to ‘get good’ (I’ve updated the somewhat antiquated grammar of the original advice). I hope it can do the same things for you that it did for me.

As a side note, this can be a fairly difficult rule to deal with if you legitimately
aren’t playing to win the game
. I recommend claiming that you wouldn’t be having fun if you weren’t acting the way you were, you were concerned about getting modkilled for not having fun if you weren’t having fun and pointing out that getting modkilled would give worse EVs than whatever wacky strategy you were going with.

If you’re still reading then you’re now pretty much immune to modkills or can at least stretch out and proposed modkill into a decades long legal battle, by the end of which the game will be a distant memory.

I hope the guide’s been interesting thusfar, but in case it hasn’t I’ll end it with an interesting thought. Sometimes it’s worth considering if you really should be weaseling your way out of the consequences of your actions. Sure, you can avoid the modkill and meme as much as you want, but at what cost? Maybe it could make the game less fun for other players if you repeatedly violate the rules for your own, presumably sick, satisfaction. Is that something you really want to do? After all, per the standard rules, if you stop them from having fun they’re in danger of getting modkilled.
There's no reaching. I've become enlightened.
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:19 pm

Post by Krazy »

Probably the only guide on site people should accept at face value without question
vote conspiracy
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:30 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

If anyone is interested in meme critiques, link a game or two and say you want your memes to be critiqued.
GTKAMURDERCAT

Retired from playing, find me on discord
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 pm

Post by Hectic »

What's the best way to bait someone you think is scum or just don't like into getting modkilled?

I once asked someone to post their role PM to me but they used standard international shipping, so it arrived after the game was over anyway.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:53 pm

Post by Ircher »

8/10 guide.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [In Signups: 7/9]
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:06 am

Post by Gypyx »

could you make a mod guide to meming? my players always somehow manage to execute me for reasons of being unfunny

also, what's your opinion on using sign language to bypass the rule of "no talking about the game outside of the game?"
bottom text
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:35 am

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 3, Hectic wrote:What's the best way to bait someone you think is scum or just don't like into getting modkilled?

I once asked someone to post their role PM to me but they used standard international shipping, so it arrived after the game was over anyway.
If you don't think they've read this guide then just shoot them a message about the game then report them to the mod for talking about the game outside of the thread. You'll be able to avoid the modkill with Hop's handy hints, but they'll just die. Alternatively go for a toxic 1v1 with someone who doesn't enjoy them.
In post 5, Gypyx wrote:could you make a mod guide to meming? my players always somehow manage to execute me for reasons of being unfunny

also, what's your opinion on using sign language to bypass the rule of "no talking about the game outside of the game?"
I was planning on a guide for moderators if this guide tipped the balance too far in the player's power. I'm thinking something along the lines of 'How to modkill memers: the mods strike back' as a provisional title.

As someone who cares about our blind memebers, I consider sign language a completely valid language that absolutely counts as talking. Semaphores on the other hand are completely fine.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:42 am

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 2, MURDERCAT wrote:If anyone is interested in meme critiques, link a game or two and say you want your memes to be critiqued.
ooh I'll take you up on this one, I want my memes to be critiqued.

In this game I started off memeing and caught some suspicion for it, then stopped memeing and caught some suspicion for it, then memed some more and caught some suspicion for it, then got miskilled by town: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84709

In this game I was part of 'Ban Hydras', started off memeing, caught some suspicion for it, and got shot by a town vig who later claimed they thought we were town but just wanted us to stop memeing: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84589

In this game I popped in to post a picture of someone's cat and caught some suspicion for it: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=84566&start=150

In this game I started off memeing and didn't really catch any suspicion for it which was a weird experience: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=84991

In this game I posted a guide to memeing without getting modkilled. I haven't currently caught any suspicion for it, but it's ongoing so i'll give myself a quick warning for discussing it, then dispute my warning to cleverly avoid the modkill: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85601
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:01 am

Post by T-Bone »

As a Listmod on this site, I have no choice but to Modkill Hopkirk
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:11 am

Post by Hopkirk »

Ha, I predicted this and gave myself a one-shot modkill proof. You'd need at least two Listmods to modkill me.
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:25 am

Post by Gypyx »

hey t-bone if you make me listmod i'll kill hopkirk for u
bottom text
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:39 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

ego
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:14 pm

Post by Ythan »

Just have sublime memes and nobody will even think about whether you're out of line.
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:58 pm

Post by Cook »

In post 12, Ythan wrote:Just have sublime memes and nobody will even think about whether you're out of line.
If you had better time you'd be writing neat rhymes.
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:27 pm

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

Strange that the site meta is to allow players to switch alts in the middle of games. I was pretty much crucified for being against it.
Mafia Record: Town 4-3 Mafia 0-1 Third Party 1-0 Total 5-4
"NPOM you can do apparently whatever the fuck you want this game." - Alduskkel

Wiki: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... owerOverMe
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:29 pm

Post by Ythan »

It seems like a fairly inconsequential issue. I've seen one player in one game protest it, based on isos.
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:58 pm

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

Hopkirk doesn't seem to agree.
Mafia Record: Town 4-3 Mafia 0-1 Third Party 1-0 Total 5-4
"NPOM you can do apparently whatever the fuck you want this game." - Alduskkel

Wiki: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... owerOverMe
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:10 pm

Post by Ythan »

Different people have different priorities idk.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:41 pm

Post by Hopkirk »

I just naturally assumed it was banned. I should probably check that threatening physical violence actually isn't allowed
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:42 pm

Post by Hopkirk »

awwwww
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:38 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

One question:

What if the mod has secret hidden rules that they'll use to kill me (because mods are frauds anyway)
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:51 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 0, Hopkirk wrote:If you want to do any coordinated memery then find someone else to do it with.
This is an ovaltine-certified take
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:44 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

This thread deserves a scummie.

:lol:
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:46 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

What happens if you report yourself?
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:39 am

Post by Cook »

In post 23, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:What happens if you report yourself?
nobody can stop you if you report yourself because the mods only have two ears and with the energy you'll put in to that report you'll occupy both at the same time
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//

Return to “Mafia Discussion”