Trust tells

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
WhemeStar
WhemeStar
Survivor
WhemeStar
Survivor
Survivor

Trust tells

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:33 am

Post by WhemeStar »

Sorry if this has been explained before but I couldn’t find anything and I’m bad at Mafia.

What is a trust tell? From what I can tell there’s no difference in a trust tell and metaing a player. Am I missing something?
Im a dog that quacks
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:09 pm

Post by Gypyx »

a trust tell is when a player voluntarily keeps up a pattern that he's aware of as town, and uses it to justify a townread on him just ny the sole existance of that tell

basically, a trust tell combined these 3 points :
voluntary
alignement indicative
and pointing it out

hope that helps
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (10/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:10 pm

Post by Gypyx »

difference from meta is that it's also done in the purpose of getting tr'd, while meta "just happens to be"
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (10/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by Cabd »

From the wiki:
A trust tell fits both of the following criteria:

The player insists that they only do this behavior as a certain alignment, and never as any other alignment.
The player, over the course of multiple games, only does this behavior as a certain alignment, and never as any other alignment.

The first criterion on its own may be a lie, but may still be punishable as a trust tell in the making, depending on the severity (see also the rule on promises). The second criterion is a meta tell. There is a blurry line at a player knowing that they only perform some behavior as a given alignment and the player actively advertising it for personal gain - typically this activity is punishable when the latter occurs.
and
Trust tells are banned sitewide at mafiascum.net for these reasons:

They constitute an out-of-game influence in the game. For instance, the red text of truth (i.e. all text in red is guaranteed to be true to the player's knowledge) is a construct outside the game used for personal meta purposes.
They degrade the quality of the game and are tedious to deal with. For instance, establishing a meta of always self-hammering when placed at E-1 as scum means that the optimal play is to always run that player to E-1 at the start of every game.

Players found to use trust tells will be forcibly replaced and banned from signing up for new games for a length of time.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
WhemeStar
WhemeStar
Survivor
WhemeStar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:10 pm

Post by WhemeStar »

Ohhh I think I just understood it now

Trust tell is a player saying they are town because they do the same thing every time they are town
Im a dog that quacks

Return to “Mafia Discussion”