Trust tells

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
WhemeStar
WhemeStar
Survivor
WhemeStar
Survivor
Survivor

Trust tells

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:33 am

Post by WhemeStar »

Sorry if this has been explained before but I couldn’t find anything and I’m bad at Mafia.

What is a trust tell? From what I can tell there’s no difference in a trust tell and metaing a player. Am I missing something?
Im a dog that quacks
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:09 pm

Post by Gypyx »

a trust tell is when a player voluntarily keeps up a pattern that he's aware of as town, and uses it to justify a townread on him just ny the sole existance of that tell

basically, a trust tell combined these 3 points :
voluntary
alignement indicative
and pointing it out

hope that helps
bottom text
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:10 pm

Post by Gypyx »

difference from meta is that it's also done in the purpose of getting tr'd, while meta "just happens to be"
bottom text
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by Cabd »

From the wiki:
A trust tell fits both of the following criteria:

The player insists that they only do this behavior as a certain alignment, and never as any other alignment.
The player, over the course of multiple games, only does this behavior as a certain alignment, and never as any other alignment.

The first criterion on its own may be a lie, but may still be punishable as a trust tell in the making, depending on the severity (see also the rule on promises). The second criterion is a meta tell. There is a blurry line at a player knowing that they only perform some behavior as a given alignment and the player actively advertising it for personal gain - typically this activity is punishable when the latter occurs.
and
Trust tells are banned sitewide at mafiascum.net for these reasons:

They constitute an out-of-game influence in the game. For instance, the red text of truth (i.e. all text in red is guaranteed to be true to the player's knowledge) is a construct outside the game used for personal meta purposes.
They degrade the quality of the game and are tedious to deal with. For instance, establishing a meta of always self-hammering when placed at E-1 as scum means that the optimal play is to always run that player to E-1 at the start of every game.

Players found to use trust tells will be forcibly replaced and banned from signing up for new games for a length of time.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
WhemeStar
WhemeStar
Survivor
WhemeStar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:10 pm

Post by WhemeStar »

Ohhh I think I just understood it now

Trust tell is a player saying they are town because they do the same thing every time they are town
Im a dog that quacks

Return to “Mafia Discussion”