How to maintain stable interest in mafia?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

How to maintain stable interest in mafia?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:35 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

This is mostly a “me” problem but I also think it’s possible this could end up useful to others whose brains work like mine.

I have an issue where I cannot keep a stable enough interest in mafia to play for long periods of time. What it really boils down to is a lack of a core motivator to play. Does anyone have advice for how to be invested in mafia and stay invested, rather than experiencing spikes of interest and disinterest?
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:39 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

Play fewer games and spread them out with breaks in between. I don't think it's possible to continuously play multiple games without getting burnt out. The game is too emotionally draining imo.
GTKAMURDERCAT

Retired from playing, find me on discord
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:41 pm

Post by Ircher »

Yeah, playing tons of games continuously just doesn't work out well. One thing you could try is rotating between playing and modding games. Modding is a much more relaxing experience since there isn't as much hinging on you being "right" or so.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:46 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Modding also poses a bit of a problem tbh, which makes it not really relaxing for me
I heavily dislike watching people being dense/illogical when it creates needless drama. That has gotten in the way of my past two modding attempts. It’s not just a mafia-based feeling, it affects me when I’m watching TV shows (most common in sitcoms).

But yeah the game limitation seems sensible
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:02 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I think it boils down to if you enjoy mafia at it's core. I try to make sure that when I join a mafia game, it's one that will interest me. (In terms of mechanics, theme, and playerlist) For example you won't see me joining a multi-ball game, I don't like those at all. If I'm in one then it's by mistake. I wouldn't enjoy a game that's entirely toxic as well. So I think as long as you make sure that you pick a game that you think the quality will be average or higher, that might help. Of course it depends on if you enjoy Mafia at it's core again. I also try to stick to one mafia game at a time so I have more attention to give to it, but sometimes I slip.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:59 pm

Post by Ythan »

Only play if you want to.

Also feel like I haven't seen you in a minute glad you're still around alternate Gamma.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:14 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

Target games with shorter deadlines and/or mechanics that will result in shorter games. Unfortunately the latter isn't really possible in closed games, but you could target smaller playerlist games as those tend to be faster games as well.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”