Roles names: Mafiascum's problematic support of child murder

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Roles names: Mafiascum's problematic support of child murder

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:16 am

Post by Hopkirk »

There’s been a lot of talk about renaming some of the more problematic roles recently and I thought it would be valuable to weigh in with some of my thoughts on the matter. If you find it useful then no thanks required, just feel free to pay me back by not murdering any children (this request might sound odd, but it'll make sense later).

Conspiracy Theorist
– Why are conspiracy theorists being given meaningful action results like ‘alien/not alien’? We should not be supporting outlandish conspiracy theories by acting like they’re legitimate. Honestly, I don’t see how the mods overlooked this and I can only conclude this choice of naming was picked by the mods as part of something a lot more sinister.

Hated
– More because it’s confusing than anything else. I can’t even begin to count the number of PMs telling me ‘you are hated’ followed by me frantically wondering if I’d forgotten about a game I’d signed up for.

Enabler
– Now I should preface this by admitting that I’m something of an enabler. If someone I know is trying to kick a habit, then I’ll give them the thing they want. Apparently, that’s wrong. I tried to quit, but Flopz is an enabler-enabler and I’ve started to fall back into old negative patterns of behaviour. It would probably help troubled souls like myself if we changed this to something more positive like ‘supporter’. There’s not really a good reason to ever use negative terms like
enabler

Nurse
–How about we just change this to one to ‘
Malpractice Enabler
’. I once killed a doctor who was operating on me and the nurse immediately tried to inject me with some sedative that I’m positive they weren’t qualified to administer. Don’t worry, I wasn’t convicted.

Cop
– First off, ew cops. Secondly, this is unrealistic. Cops ask the mods for information on people’s identities and the mod gives it to them. That’s not remotely how real police work goes (there’s a lot more paperwork). Replace it with something like ‘High-Priest’ or 'High Level Cleric' to both remove the problematic name and to better reflect the actual mechanics of asking for and receiving information from a higher power.

Voyeur
– If it would be against the site rules to explicitly explain what a role name means then maybe we shouldn’t be using it as a role name.

Bulletproof
– Used to make sense until the meta-shifted towards knifecrime in London. Replacing this with ‘knifeproof’ would be one step to addressing the anachronistic nature of this site, but it’s still ridiculously outdated. I’m honestly astounded that in 2021 Mafiascum has a Twitter but not a Tik Tok.

War Crime Enthusiast
– Why is this even a role lol.

Innocent Child
– Change this to ‘Innocent Middle-aged Person’. Unlike most people on this site, I’m going to make the bold move of announcing that
I don’t support murdering children
. We all know that an innocent child is going to die shortly after they are confirmed, which leaves us in the uncomfortable position of knowing a kid is about to die and being unable to stop it. Then we have to start thinking about the other ways we’re essentially killing kids. Most people would agree it would be morally horrifying not to save a drowning child because it would ruin your $100 coat, so £100 is a reasonable cost to save a child’s life. Extending the principle, not spending all of your money (or even $100) helping starving children/against malaria/helping children escape war zones is the same is murdering children. Pretty horrible to think about how much evil you’re personally willing to cope with so you could get those new clothes. Now I don’t know about you, but I come here to play mafia, not to think.

Paranoid Gun Owner
– Where to start. Making light of mental health conditions, using guns instead of knives, and implicitly reinforcing the problematic concept of ‘ownership’ - a core cause of modern social division. I know ‘Enthusiastic Knife Renter’ doesn’t have the same ring to it, but rings are a scam perpetuated by the diamond industry anyway and they use child slaves. As a side note, I'm against enslaving kids almost as much as I'm against murdering them.

Mason
– Honestly if you’re still using this one at this point, you’re completely irredeemable. Another one of the kid killing roles… and killing kids doesn’t even scratch the surface of their atrocities that my grandfather would be more than happy to explain in detail if he were still around. If you use masons in your game without considering the impact it has on your players, then you’re an objectively terrible person.

Cult
– This role just recruits people, it isn’t actually a cult. It's more of a rural commune in rural America. I’m incredibly offended that people keep referring to it as a ‘cult.’ You can leave whenever you want, just like Mafiascum.

Hero
– Having a role that puts a positive spin on murdering the king is pretty concerning. You can tell this is an American site from those underlying regicidal sentiments. It’s okay for now, but if you ever change the ‘King’ role to ‘Queen’ then there won’t be another warning.

Babysitter
– Seriously what is it with this site and murdering children? Swap this with bodyguard because then if a bodyguard dies then it sense that their charge does too, but if a babysitter dies they take the kill instead of the target (implied to be a baby) like the current bodyguard does, and we’re not implying the deaths of any kids.

Compulsive Childkiller
– … ok I’m done.
There's no reaching. I've become enlightened.
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:24 am

Post by Hectic »

Can we get a tactical ban in here?

I'm offended you haven't included Serial Killer on this list. As one myself, and being very well respected in the community, it's kind of outrageous SKs on mafiascum have to kill EVERYONE else to win. That's stupid, we only do this as a hobby, we're not trying to exterminate all lifeforms
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:26 am

Post by Ythan »

Hmmmmmmmmmm ego
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 am

Post by Hectic »

@Hopkirk:
I see you lurking and currently online. I want another name for SKs
Hopkirk
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Hopkirk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:41 am

Post by Hopkirk »

In post 1, Hectic wrote:Can we get a tactical ban in here?

I'm offended you haven't included Serial Killer on this list. As one myself, and being very well respected in the community, it's kind of outrageous SKs on mafiascum have to kill EVERYONE else to win. That's stupid, we only do this as a hobby, we're not trying to exterminate all lifeforms
Most serial killers I've seen only have to kill players currently in the game to win. With close to 25k people on site (or 23k if we discount your alts i guess) that feels pretty reasonable outside of a large.

Pedit
here's a few suggestions:

- Homicide detective enabler
- Chosen slayer (Samira carry)
- A person or thing that kills- consisting of, forming part of, or taking place in a series
- Flexible Vigilante
- Consecutive execute-ive
- Still not as bad as Flopz
- I prefer knives because guns are too impersonal quoter
- Iterated eliminator
- Tryhard Killer
- Copycat inspirer
There's no reaching. I've become enlightened.
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:47 am

Post by Hectic »

I'm gonna go with chosen slayer
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:01 pm

Post by Pine »

Mafia Discussion is held to a higher standard than other parts of the site. We are open to rebranding role with problematic names or implications, but this is not the place for concern trolling.

The Listmods and DiscMod team
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare

Return to “Mafia Discussion”