Stop removing dead players from the scum PT!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Stop removing dead players from the scum PT!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:10 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Nothing annoys me more than the moderator of a game completely removing my access to a scum PT when i die.
Why can’t the game hosts just have a little bit of faith in the dead players? If i die then i know it, i won’t post anymore, i don’t need to be forced outside of the topic. Let me observe what my team is doing and keep up to the game. Removing the possibility to keep observing is STUPID!

This has been an open letter to all game hosts to STOP removing a dead scum player’s access to the scum PT.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:21 am

Post by Ythan »

On one hand, I can still read and believe I technically could post in the main thread of a game I'm dead in so sure.

On the other hand, scum topics are secret so nah.
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:23 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 1, Ythan wrote:On the other hand, scum topics are secret so nah.
Then explain the inconsistency of half the games i'm in not removing dead scum players ability to observe the scum PT while the other half does. Actually the ratio is probably more like 3/4 does allow observing and 1/4 does not. Which increases my annoyance because it seems to be accepted by 80% of game mods while a low 20% go through the hassle of removing it when i just want to know what my team is thinking while at the same time observing the main thread.
There is no purpose in keeping it hidden because: "scum PT are supposed to be secret", why does that even matter when the dead player in question already knows who the scum are and has most likely contributed heavily to the thread already?
Last edited by NorwegianboyEE on Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:30 am

Post by Guillotina »

I do it because i don't trust anybody to not cheat.

That said, what I've been doing is that if you die, you either keep access to the scum pt but do not gain access to the DVC

or

You lose access to the Scum PT and gain access to the DVC.

I don't know if that is possible here though.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:36 am

Post by Ythan »

NorwegianboyEE wrote:
Spoiler:
In post 1, Ythan wrote:On the other hand, scum topics are secret so nah.
Then explain the inconsistency of half the games i'm in not removing dead scum players ability to observe the scum PT while the other half does. Actually the ratio is probably more like 3/4 does allow observing and 1/4 does not. Which increases my annoyance because it seems to be accepted by 80% of game mods while a low 20% go through the hassle of removing it when i just want to know what my team is thinking while at the same time observing the main thread.
There is no purpose in keeping it hidden because: "scum PT are supposed to be secret", why does that even matter when the dead player in question already knows who the scum are and has most likely contributed heavily to the thread already?
Agreed.
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:38 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Yeah anti-cheat is probably the best counter-argument here.
But i raise you the statistics. How often does a scum player "cheat" by posting again in the scum PT? And how much of an advantage does that give really? If a player has already decided to cheat, there are a myriad of illegal ways they can achieve their agenda that completely bypasses the scum PT. They can just send a PM for gods sake, that's what most of the players that have been banned for have been doing anyway. It's better to just place your faith in the players moral integrity and will to keep the game pure, blocking access to scum PT does nothing to remedy cheating other than make the lives of the majority of honest players worse for the sake of nothing.

- Bunno
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:11 am

Post by Something_Smart »

I mean, at least here, you literally can't stop cheating. They can always send PM's. And I'd certainly prefer that someone who's willing to cheat do it somewhere I can see, so that they can actually be punished for it.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:20 am

Post by fferyllt »

I don't remove dead players from the scum pt, unless some hypothetical game mechanic involving dead players would require it. Depending on the reason for the modkill, I would remove a modkilled scum player.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:28 am

Post by Ircher »

Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:54 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Wow, 3 years later and the problem is still not solved.

Just allow PT access kids.

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:59 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 6, Something_Smart wrote:I mean, at least here, you literally can't stop cheating. They can always send PM's. And I'd certainly prefer that someone who's willing to cheat do it somewhere I can see, so that they can actually be punished for it.
Discord, Pm's, you name it.
Obviously restricting PT access isn't going to do anything to stop cheaters

- Bunno
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:06 am

Post by Ythan »

I do think this should probably be at the mods' discretion but there's nothing wrong with making this probably consensus opinion known to those mods.
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:08 am

Post by skitter30 »

I hate being removed from the scum pt upon dying
Show
Hiatus once more.

'skitter is fucking terrifying' ~ town-bork about scum-me

'Skitter [was] terrifying to play against ngl' ~ scum-bork about town-me

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

'Skitter you're a spirit animal's spirit animal' ~ slaxx
samantha97
samantha97
Mafia Scum
samantha97
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:52 am

Post by samantha97 »

I have no idea how this forum works but it'd be nice to have read permissions separate from write, if they aren't
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:54 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

Best way to avoid getting removed: Don't die!

I would only remove those that have replaced out if i were to mod again.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:16 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 13, samantha97 wrote:I have no idea how this forum works but it'd be nice to have read permissions separate from write, if they aren't
That would be nice.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:16 pm

Post by Guillotina »

In post 5, NorwegianboyEE wrote:Yeah anti-cheat is probably the best counter-argument here.
But i raise you the statistics. How often does a scum player "cheat" by posting again in the scum PT? And how much of an advantage does that give really? If a player has already decided to cheat, there are a myriad of illegal ways they can achieve their agenda that completely bypasses the scum PT. They can just send a PM for gods sake, that's what most of the players that have been banned for have been doing anyway. It's better to just place your faith in the players moral integrity and will to keep the game pure, blocking access to scum PT does nothing to remedy cheating other than make the lives of the majority of honest players worse for the sake of nothing.
That is exactly why dead scum can't have access to both PTs (DVC + Mafia). Is not that I'm worried that they will post to the PT, it's that the dead scum that cheats can stay up to date with the decisions being made by the scum that is still alive and at the same time be getting spoilers in the DVC, then he can advise the scum team with the best course of action via private message. So the best solution is that if you allow the scum stay in the mafia PT, you don't give them access to the DVC and case solved.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:19 pm

Post by Ythan »

If you really wanna solve that problem you have to die in real life whenyou die in game.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:20 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 17, Ythan wrote:If you really wanna solve that problem you have to die in real life whenyou die in game.
Mods?
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:24 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

I actually had this gameshow in my mind where 13 people would be tossed into an enclosed prison and told to vote out a person to die in real life and it would be like a normal mafia game but completely twisted and mafia could shoot a sleeping person in the head during the "night" and etc.

- Bunno
samantha97
samantha97
Mafia Scum
samantha97
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:45 pm

Post by samantha97 »

In post 16, Guillotina wrote:So the best solution is that if you allow the scum stay in the mafia PT, you don't give them access to the DVC and case solved.
ya keeping mafia out of dead chat is ideal so that the only form of cheating that can happen is 1 mafia outing the rest, regardless of mafia pt access
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:13 am

Post by Menalque »

Why does it matter if the cheating is effective or not, the game is still utterly compromised and nobody can win if that happens anyway

So it’s not really a good argument for removing access
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:04 am

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

In post 16, Guillotina wrote:That is exactly why dead scum can't have access to both PTs (DVC + Mafia). Is not that I'm worried that they will post to the PT, it's that the dead scum that cheats can stay up to date with the decisions being made by the scum that is still alive and at the same time be getting spoilers in the DVC, then he can advise the scum team with the best course of action via private message. So the best solution is that if you allow the scum stay in the mafia PT, you don't give them access to the DVC and case solved.
So the way to counter that is to use another form of communication, whether it be discord, texting, Telegram, or anything else.

Just get all the Mafia into one separate group chat that the Mod can't control, because the Mod thinks that there's totally no way that the scum can't untraceable communicate outside the site entirely.

If you're so afraid of cheating, then why bother playing in the first place? There are a plethora of methods that the players could use to cheat without being caught. Why try to stop this one method that can be so blatantly spotted and reported as to make it incredibly unlikely? Think like a cheater: How would you go about cheating in the most lazy, effective, and low-risk way possible? This certainly wouldn't make the top 100.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:58 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

The best argument for removing access is so that people don't post in the PT by accident, but saying that the player can't post when they die should be sufficient
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:08 am

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

In post 23, Infinity 324 wrote:The best argument for removing access is so that people don't post in the PT by accident, but saying that the player can't post when they die should be sufficient
So why don't we lock the players out of the main thread when they die?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”