Stop removing dead players from the scum PT!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:22 am

Post by Guillotina »

In post 22, Jake The Wolfie wrote:
In post 16, Guillotina wrote:That is exactly why dead scum can't have access to both PTs (DVC + Mafia). Is not that I'm worried that they will post to the PT, it's that the dead scum that cheats can stay up to date with the decisions being made by the scum that is still alive and at the same time be getting spoilers in the DVC, then he can advise the scum team with the best course of action via private message. So the best solution is that if you allow the scum stay in the mafia PT, you don't give them access to the DVC and case solved.
So the way to counter that is to use another form of communication, whether it be discord, texting, Telegram, or anything else.

Just get all the Mafia into one separate group chat that the Mod can't control, because the Mod thinks that there's totally no way that the scum can't untraceable communicate outside the site entirely.

If you're so afraid of cheating, then why bother playing in the first place? There are a plethora of methods that the players could use to cheat without being caught. Why try to stop this one method that can be so blatantly spotted and reported as to make it incredibly unlikely? Think like a cheater: How would you go about cheating in the most lazy, effective, and low-risk way possible? This certainly wouldn't make the top 100.
No disrespect. I play the game because i love it and because i can and as a host I reserve the right to host it the way i want to host it to ensure game transparency and is up to the player to accept it and play it, or to not accept it and don't play it. If dead scum wants to keep access to the mafia PT then they can remain UNSPOILED like their mafia teammates. You cannot bake a cake and eat it too.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:27 am

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 16, Guillotina wrote:That is exactly why dead scum can't have access to both PTs (DVC + Mafia). Is not that I'm worried that they will post to the PT, it's that the dead scum that cheats can stay up to date with the decisions being made by the scum that is still alive and at the same time be getting spoilers in the DVC, then he can advise the scum team with the best course of action via private message.
This, of course, is why I only go outside wearing a hard hat. That way, if a meteorite hits me, it won't hurt me as badly.

(Sarcasm translation: dead scum cheating is incredibly rare and ruins the game even if they don't have PT access.)
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:37 am

Post by Ranmaru »

Preventing PT access does not prevent mafia from cheating with dead scum mates in private messages. Town can also cheat by claiming to each other in secret via private message. Can't prevent that if they chose to do that. Anyway I don't think preventing PT access is a good fail safe to avoid cheating. Only to prevent an accidental post like Infinity said.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:44 am

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

In post 25, Guillotina wrote:No disrespect. I play the game because i love it and because i can and as a host I reserve the right to host it the way i want to host it to ensure game transparency and is up to the player to accept it and play it, or to not accept it and don't play it. If dead scum wants to keep access to the mafia PT then they can remain UNSPOILED like their mafia teammates. You cannot bake a cake and eat it too.
You also have a responsibility as a host to facilitate a fun game environment to the best of your ability.

What do you mean by unspoiled? Do you spoil your dead players who are in dead chats regardless of their wishes?
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:57 am

Post by Guillotina »

In post 28, Jake The Wolfie wrote:
In post 25, Guillotina wrote:No disrespect. I play the game because i love it and because i can and as a host I reserve the right to host it the way i want to host it to ensure game transparency and is up to the player to accept it and play it, or to not accept it and don't play it. If dead scum wants to keep access to the mafia PT then they can remain UNSPOILED like their mafia teammates. You cannot bake a cake and eat it too.
You also have a responsibility as a host to facilitate a fun game environment to the best of your ability.

What do you mean by unspoiled? Do you spoil your dead players who are in dead chats regardless of their wishes?
To the best of my ability yes, but dont forget we run games because that is our fun, it is not fun for me to run a game that players will 100% love and i will hate, the fun HAS to go both ways.

My DVCs are unspoiled, with an extra spoiled private chat that dead players can request access to, the problem is that once one of them chooses to be spoiled the rest will follow, becoming spoiled and a lot of players find not having the option to get spoilers unfun so there is the dilemma.
Guillotina
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Guillotina
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:04 am

Post by Guillotina »

In post 26, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 16, Guillotina wrote:That is exactly why dead scum can't have access to both PTs (DVC + Mafia). Is not that I'm worried that they will post to the PT, it's that the dead scum that cheats can stay up to date with the decisions being made by the scum that is still alive and at the same time be getting spoilers in the DVC, then he can advise the scum team with the best course of action via private message.
This, of course, is why I only go outside wearing a hard hat. That way, if a meteorite hits me, it won't hurt me as badly.

(Sarcasm translation: dead scum cheating is incredibly rare and ruins the game even if they don't have PT access.)
I get it. You require 100% trust from the host to give you access to both the scum chat and dead chat, in order to play games. Even if it is trust that you have not earnt.
Scum cheating is not very rare, ive know of players who have held conversations outside of their PTs twice this year, the worse part is that they are not even newbies, they are game veterans who think they can get away with it because of seniority.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:31 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 24, Jake The Wolfie wrote:
In post 23, Infinity 324 wrote:The best argument for removing access is so that people don't post in the PT by accident, but saying that the player can't post when they die should be sufficient
So why don't we lock the players out of the main thread when they die?
Because people are less likely to mess up there, also it's not physically possible unless you made game threads private which would be incredibly dumb

I don't think people should lose scum pt access when they die
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:34 am

Post by Ythan »

In post 30, Guillotina wrote:I get it. You require 100% trust from the host to give you access to both the scum chat and dead chat, in order to play games. Even if it is trust that you have not earnt.
Scum cheating is not very rare, ive know of players who have held conversations outside of their PTs twice this year, the worse part is that they are not even newbies, they are game veterans who think they can get away with it because of seniority.
And I'm sure you reported it?
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:06 pm

In post 31, Infinity 324 wrote:Because people are less likely to mess up there, also it's not physically possible unless you made game threads private which would be incredibly dumb
With enough hounding of the administrators, we could do it.

Come to think of it, why don't we just ask them to make a view-only mode for threads?
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:00 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

Let them fully complete the upgrade to the php version number we're on first.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:45 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 33, Jake The Wolfie wrote:
In post 31, Infinity 324 wrote:Because people are less likely to mess up there, also it's not physically possible unless you made game threads private which would be incredibly dumb

Come to think of it, why don't we just ask them to make a view-only mode for threads?
People have real lives that don't involve writing code for free on a website so that people can play games
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:48 am

In post 35, Infinity 324 wrote:
In post 33, Jake The Wolfie wrote:

People have real lives that don't involve writing code for free on a website so that people can play games
That's a weird way to misconstrue what I said into "I demand the Admins to do this and if they don't then we'll just move to a different mafia site."
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:53 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

No I'm just saying hounding the mods doesn't just mean things get done for you
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2021 8:17 am

Post by Titus »

I lock players out when I mod because I have seen too much cheating. Usually it's town who cheat in dead chat but I'm a bit jaded.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2021 8:33 am

Could you explain, Titus?
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2021 11:23 am

Post by Titus »

In post 39, Jake The Wolfie wrote:Could you explain, Titus?
Sure. I've seen people with multiple accounts cheat. One would be in a spoiled dead thread and relay that information to another account. There was a ban for it publicly on this forum. Math and I were putting on a pretty good scum game but an unkillable conftown just "knew" the answers with no rational and kept doing it in several games. I had a similar instance on another site. So as a general rule if you have access to a dead PT, all your other PTs get shut off if I can.

Edit: Here's the ban.

viewtopic.php?p=11032242&f=1#p11032242
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2021 6:51 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 3, Guillotina wrote:I do it because i don't trust anybody to not cheat.

That said, what I've been doing is that if you die, you either keep access to the scum pt but do not gain access to the DVC

or

You lose access to the Scum PT and gain access to the DVC.

I don't know if that is possible here though.
this seems logical
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu May 06, 2021 7:04 am

In post 40, Titus wrote:
In post 39, Jake The Wolfie wrote:Could you explain, Titus?
Sure. I've seen people with multiple accounts cheat. One would be in a spoiled dead thread and relay that information to another account. There was a ban for it publicly on this forum. Math and I were putting on a pretty good scum game but an unkillable conftown just "knew" the answers with no rational and kept doing it in several games. I had a similar instance on another site. So as a general rule if you have access to a dead PT, all your other PTs get shut off if I can.

Edit: Here's the ban.

viewtopic.php?p=11032242&f=1#p11032242
After thinking this over, this has nothing to do with a scum player (or any player with assumed access to a PT) cheating via posting in their PT while dead, even if you have an unspoiled dead chat, because multi-accounting means that as long as your spectator chat is spoiled, your game could potentially be ruined. Even if the multi-accounting player isn't in any PTs, if their alt is spoiled in the spectator chat, they too will be spoiled. It doesn't matter if they are locked out of all chats, or if their account gets deleted after they die, etc etc. because they already got the information from their alt getting it from the spectator chat.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue May 11, 2021 4:32 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

a) Players cheating by communicating while dead can be a problem, but b) shutting off dead scum's access to their scumchat will not fix this problem. So I can't see a reason not to allow dead scum access to the scum thread (even at the same time as the dead thread).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”