Zero Tolerance for Toxicity in TM

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Zero Tolerance for Toxicity in TM

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:28 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I think the mods need to have a much stronger policy wrt to toxicity in Team Mafia. I have literally been waiting MONTHS to make this thread and now finally I can.

My TM game was basically hell because the TPTB didn’t have the authority to enforce far stricter toxicity guidelines then is typical for non-TM games.

Why does this matter? Because in a non-TM situation, I would have 100% replaced out rather than continue to subject myself to the non-stop toxic shitfest that was my game. I didn’t because I loved my team and didn’t want to desert them due to certain player(s) making my life hell in that game.

It is grossly unfair to force players to choose between pretty much sacrificing their mental health and deserting their team. Because there is no way I could have replaced out and still be a part of my team. I don’t ever have to make that choice in a non-TM game, which is why next year, toxicity rules for 2022 TM need to be much much stricter. No one should ever feel forced into a decision between deserting a team you adore and being forced to endure extreme blatant ongoing toxicity. It totally isn’t fair to the players who are forced to endure it because they don’t want to desert their teams.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:44 am

Post by Ranmaru »

Looking at page 132 of your game, seems less toxic then you think it is. I think you had an emotional reaction to scum frustration. Which, was certainly hurtful to your own feelings, and I can see you care about how he feels when it comes to playing together. Yet, he is not wrong, playstyles clash. There are some people that don't like playing with me due to playstyle. There are some people I don't want to play with again, due to playstyle. I just move on. I think you did over-react to his fake paranoia, which was his main point, alongside some AtE from him, that was also personal. Yet it was civil at the same time. I'm going to guess that it wouldn't really be grounds for moderation unless the rules prevent anything personal being brought into the game. I think in the moment of being hurt, you were acting irrationally.

If moderators had ruled in favor of nothing personal being brought in, and no insults at all, then you would also be at fault for accusing him of being scum or playing stupid, the latter part of that phrase being the issue. I used to say things like 'man you're being dumb' myself so it's not only you, I've done it in the past. Yet I've seen some mafia sites moderate to the extent of no insults at all, and if that's the way moderation goes, I'm fine with that because I'd rather play in a game where the player list is comfortable rather then defying the rules simply for wanting to say 'this is ridiculous' in a different manner. Rather, I'd rather play in a game with no toxicity rather then one that has slight toxicity, but I've been in games where people literally yelled and cussed at each other and was more horrible then the situation I just had seen you were in. Yet this doesn't invalidate your own feelings, but maybe you need to step back and re-read that interaction and try to see from his perspective in reference to your playstyle and how it affects him. (Also vice versa, he should see how his playstyle affects you as well, it goes both ways)

Looking at page 95 and the interactions between Ico and Flavor I can see slightly more toxicity from the both of them. I think Flavor was also over reacting to Ico but also seems more akin to appeal to emotion as well. I think Flavor calling his push super trash surface level was going too far though. (I also see him doing that more than once) Also just seems like something scum does when there are holes in their play that are being questioned and they try to hush that up by reacting emotionally in hopes of not having to seriously answer to that. I think this would fall more into the grounds for moderation, a warning at that point.

So I think this is more of an overall thing rather then a 'only in TM' thing. In the end I think that if we are to strengthen rules on toxicity, that means no insults at all, not even calling someone being dumb. If it comes to that, I'm fine with that, because the game is fun without that. Then you only have to respond to game content with game content. I guess this depends on how the moderators feel and how far they want to go with this.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:04 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I’m not just referring to me, as extremely hurtful and unfair as that was, it was the personal insults that literally went on for pages and pages. There should be a zero tolerance policy for personal attacks on other people’s character.

Anyway, the point of this thread, is I believe TM games need to be held to a higher standard than regular games because you cannot leave the game without also leaving your team. And that I feel was the extremely unfair position I was faced with - specifically due to over the top levels ridiculous levels of toxicity.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:45 am

Post by Ythan »

I can get behind the sentiment of TM being held to a higher standard. Might have resulted in my own replacement but worse things have happened.
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:26 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

That game was such a meme.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:27 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

I actually felt like shit for most of the time playing it, and it was SUCH a relief having it finally end.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:33 pm

Post by Ythan »

In post 5, NorwegianboyEE wrote:I actually felt like shit for most of the time playing it, and it was SUCH a relief having it finally end.
This sounds like our game.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:34 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 6, Ythan wrote:
In post 5, NorwegianboyEE wrote:I actually felt like shit for most of the time playing it, and it was SUCH a relief having it finally end.
I was having fun until after the AGar elimination and it sank in to have the dawning realization: "our game's not over...and there's the very real chance it won't be over any time soon". It was at that moment that I pretty much had my heart sink into despair and realize I didn't have it in me to truly solve the game because it was just...so, so, so long, so, so, so much work, and I didn't feel like I had it in me. (Thus my relief at being the final nightkill.)
Morning Tweet
Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Morning Tweet
She
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:41 pm

Post by Morning Tweet »

In post 6, Ythan wrote:
hey wait a minute, that sounds like our game! Granted, i was feeling those things mostly vicariously
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:59 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 8, Morning Tweet wrote:
In post 6, Ythan wrote:
hey wait a minute, that sounds like our game! Granted, i was feeling those things mostly vicariously
I really enjoyed last year’s game.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”