Why is the Mini Theme Queue unpopular?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Why is the Mini Theme Queue unpopular?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:19 am

Post by Ircher »

I think there's something wrong with the mini theme queue. It has moved very slowly over the past several months*, and as of right now, there are no mini theme games active. Two games are currently in signups, but neither seem that close to filling, and the queue also had a mod shortage for quite some time. Why is the queue so unpopular right now? Is it simply the types of games being ran? (I must admit--I have no interest in playing an open cop-type game nor a blitz game right now.) Is it the way it is ran? Discuss.

(* - I checked how many games filled since the start of the year (based on the queue thread), and I counted eight. That's a bit better than I thought, but I counted 17 filled mini normal games and about twelve filled large theme games since the beginning of the year. It's clear to me that the mini theme queue is rather unpopular right now.)
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:52 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Seems to me that the speed of a game filling is pretty much proportional to the popularity of the mod.

My hypothesis is that the mini theme queue is the only one that doesn't have a niche. The micro, normal, and open queues (and the newbie queue, of course) all have special traits that might make someone want to join a game in them without caring much about the game itself. And large theme games generally require so much effort that they're rare, highly advertised, and usually in high demand.

Also, the queue does not make it easy to find information about the games. Large theme games require mods to make their own threads, and they can stock the OP with as much information as they want prospective players to know. It's harder to give that in the mini theme queue because it only has a signup form, and even if you do provide it, it's harder for people to find it.

Plus, as I said, large theme games require a lot of effort; mandatory review, mandatory backup mod, you have to design your own signup thread and prepare for a game that could last months. Some of the unsuccessful/slow-filling games in the mini theme queue seem... not low effort, necessarily (though some of them probably are), but kind of not special, or gimmicky.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:05 am

Post by northsidegal »

i think the two most immediate problems with the mini theme queue are information being hard to find and games not being pulled quick enough. compared to other queues where either you don't really need to know information about a setup when signing up (newbie, normal) or information about setups is relatively easy to find (open, micro, large theme), information about what setups are in-queue is kind of hard to find in the mini theme queue.

so, to put it bluntly, i don't think it's primarily an inherent problem with theme games, i think information is just harder to find in the mini theme queue, and games are left in-queue for probably longer than they should be. it may be the case that, all other things being equal, mini themes would be less popular than other games given the effort and all of that, but i think the
primary
problem right now is one of queue moderation.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:31 pm

Post by mastina »

Another possible factor: in the mini queue you can't just post /in for next; you need to specify which game you're signing up for.

In the Normal queue you just post /in mini or /in large; in the newbie queue there's also a similar thing of just posting /in (at least with the removal of ICs so that everyone is either a newbie or a SE).

The only other queue where you need to specify which game you're /inning for is the Open queue, a queue that is also, historically, one of the slower ones we have and has run into similar problems in the past to the mini theme queue now.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:33 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 3, mastina wrote:The only other queue where you need to specify which game you're /inning for is the Open queue
the micro queue as well
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:41 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

The Micqueue
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:13 pm

Post by Cabd »

When I can run a 14P game and go into signups pretty much at will, or run a 13p game and wait potentially a month or longer for my game to go into signups (in a generic thread) the choice is easy. I have agency in the first case, and none in the second.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:36 pm

Post by Ythan »

Curiosity ego
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:54 pm

Post by DkKoba »

people prefer their themes large
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:14 am

Post by Psyche »

I can think of a lot of reasons why people might not like mini themes, but have a harder time thinking up reasons why interest might be decreasing.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:45 am

Post by fferyllt »

I think the mini theme queue is slower than it used to be. Maybe it's the types of mini themes being designed and run these days? Disorganization could be part of it, too.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:07 am

Post by skitter30 »

I think the fact that games that dont fill in a timely fashion end up staying in the queue for a very long time is part of the problem
Show
Hiatus once more.

'skitter is fucking terrifying' ~ town-bork about scum-me

'Skitter [was] terrifying to play against ngl' ~ scum-bork about town-me

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

'Skitter you're a spirit animal's spirit animal' ~ slaxx
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:08 am

Post by skitter30 »

In post 1, Something_Smart wrote:Some of the unsuccessful/slow-filling games in the mini theme queue seem... not low effort, necessarily (though some of them probably are), but kind of not special, or gimmicky.
And echo this point ^
Show
Hiatus once more.

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:08 am

I think people don't sign up for Mini themes because if you want to play a game immediately, you go sign up for a mini normal. If you want a longer format, you sign up for a large game.
Mini themes aren't as attractive because they aren't as standardized as normals, and moreover they tend to be more flashy and whatnot.

One solution is to intentionally plug the Mini Normal queue until a few Mini themes are released. Another is to just combine the two queues into one, merging the Large Queue threads into one and standardize Large Normals getting their own signup thread.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:09 am

Restructuring the entire queue system would be a challenge, but it could be better longterm.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:58 am

Post by fferyllt »

large normals used to get their own threads. I think the normal queue was combined because the individual LN threads took a long time to fill.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:37 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 13, Jake The Wolfie wrote:One solution is to intentionally plug the Mini Normal queue until a few Mini themes are released. Another is to just combine the two queues into one, merging the Large Queue threads into one and standardize Large Normals getting their own signup thread.
I dont think this would work - the people who would be prevented from playing in a mini normal are not necessarily the people interested in playing a theme. I dont think that doing this would be effective in redirecting the playerbase, i think people would just be frustrated
Show
Hiatus once more.

T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:53 pm

Post by T3 »

tbh I just join the games I think I won't have fun in under alts.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:24 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

A contributor to the information issue rn is that the Mini Theme listmod straight up doesn’t give a fuck about keeping the OP up to date
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:52 pm

In post 18, Gamma Emerald wrote:A contributor to the information issue rn is that the Mini Theme listmod straight up doesn’t give a fuck about keeping the OP up to date
Yeah..

Maybe someone should take their place.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:54 pm

Post by Ythan »

I think there's nicer ways to go about that!
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:09 am

In post 20, Ythan wrote:I think there's nicer ways to go about that!
There are.

Like removing them from being a listmod with notice.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:19 am

Post by Ircher »

Let's keep points constructive here. I think several good ones have already been raised like the information accessibility issue.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:25 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

No anime games in signups
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:04 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 18, Gamma Emerald wrote:A contributor to the information issue rn is that the Mini Theme listmod straight up doesn’t give a fuck about keeping the OP up to date
Can you elaborate (perhaps a bit more politely)? The OP seems largely up-to-date to me (the players are a bit behind, but both games in sign ups are accurate).

Return to “Mafia Discussion”