Mod action necessary for repeat flaking

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:05 pm

Post by MathBlade »

I think we should have the game mods pass up to the list mods when someone replaces out.
All replace outs within a 24-48 hour period are a “instance”/event.

Then if you have X events in Y timeframe then either a warning/ban?
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:27 pm

Post by House »

Replace outs are getting equivocated with flaking, but they have nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

With replace outs, at least the mod and other players aren't stuck waiting for days to find out they need to fill the slot.

Flaking is more severe than replace outs because of the time the slot spends in limbo.
The apology that resulted in my indefinite ban:

https://tinyimg.io/i/ZX5Yjhw.png
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:54 pm

Post by Ythan »

Happy cake day!
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:06 pm

Post by House »

In post 27, Ythan wrote:Happy cake day!
Thank you! :D
The apology that resulted in my indefinite ban:

https://tinyimg.io/i/ZX5Yjhw.png
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:21 pm

Post by Micc »

If the main concern is the time it takes to replace a flaking player, then the solution should address that directly.

Encourage and play under game mods who are especially prompt with prods and replacements. Advocate for game mods to use shorter prod lengths or cut down on the allowed time to respond to a prod. Play the game in a way that makes it appealing for players to replace into*. These are things that will speed up the turn around time every time someone flakes.

In contrast, sanctions from a Listmod are only going to do something after a player has already established a pattern of flaking, which will not be often. Sanctions are unlikely to even be an effective way to prevent flaking. If someone is in the process of flaking and they have enough awareness to recognize they might be banned over it, they also have enough awareness to tell their game mod they can't play the game any more.

*not a completely serious suggestion, but appeal matters and players don't usually think about it
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:48 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I would prefer to actually change the prod times to 72 - 48 - 24 and give nudges if other players request it up to 24 hrs prior to an official prod (12 for the third one) but I don’t understand that why the mods aren’t getting that players flaking in lieu of replacing out is the main issue here, not how fast or slow they are to respond to prods and not all game mods are up to speed with the prod times.

My issue is with players who flake and get force replaced when they’re very clearly on MS playing other games. Those players could obviously choose to replace out but force the game mod to essentially babysit them, when it’s blatantly clear that the player has clearly already abandoned that particular game.

Eta: I think a database alerting game mods to serial offenders would be a good thing as well as receiving a warning for flaking in three games concurrently with proof of rl issues and internet not being responsible, which would clearly be the case if that player is posting elsewhere on MS and particularly in other mafia games.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Alyssa The Lamb
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:41 am

Post by Alyssa The Lamb »

No solution is going to work without a direct cultural shift, since that's the only way you can create one that will work in the long term.

Encourage more mods to offer Wisdom of the Players/One/Mod (or start doing it yourself if you mod games and don't already) and make use of them when you see those players joining games you /in for that offer them, maybe even only joining games that offer it in the first place. This will help reduce the amount of times that someone does this if they are a habitual offender.

Ask mods to make changes to their prod rules, and do so yourself if you mod games. Whatever solution would be best is easiest to do at this particular level, since the only effective thing listmods can actually do to help this problem is to either enforce mods having stricter rules on this (which I don't believe is very viable outside of normal games). It also puts the burden on enforcing this onto the everyday player, which is where it really should be in the first place. It's not the listmod team's job to enforce this since it's exceptionally hard to do so from their end accurately and without a lot of dedicated extra work.

Really, the only snag is getting enough people on board to make it enforceable, but it also doesn't rely on adding extra steps and/or rely on people who have many other responsibilities at the same time enforcing it for you.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”