Mod action necessary for repeat flaking

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Mod action necessary for repeat flaking

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:16 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

This thread seems to never ever get made, so before yet another one complaining about replace outs happens again, why aren’t more people penalized for doing this unless rl or actual internet issues are to blame?

This is the official policy of MU, why not on MS?
Last edited by Nancy Drew 39 on Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:28 am

Post by T3 »

I don't think there is an official policy but when stuff like that happens action is usually taken. [from what I've seen]
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:33 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 1, T3 wrote:I don't think there is an official policy but when stuff like that happens action is usually taken. [from what I've seen]
My point is it should be because far more games go to shit as a result of repeat flaking than replace outs. When a slot is left for days in games with no prods/replacements/no action of any kind on either the part of the player or game mod, it absolutely hurts the game and is extremely unfair to the players who signed up to play and are actively trying to play, so something ought to be done about that.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:03 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I would probably end up on the wrong end of that sort of rule if it existed, idk if I'm gonna have another point where I straight up cannot play and fail to effectively pull myself but it's certainly possible unless I can somehow basically cut out all things from my life that aren't mafia (which just ain't happening)
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:19 pm

Post by Ircher »

+1 though I don't think it's really a big issue on MS. We have flakers, but most are one and gone.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:14 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

In post 0, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:This is the official policy of MU, why not on MS?
You See, Mafia Universe is fundamentally crappy, so we are taking preventative steps to avoid becoming them. One of them is by by unofficially punishing moderators.

I don't see any reason for this to not become official policy. I guess no one has ever brought it up before.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:53 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 0, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:This thread seems to never ever get made, so before yet another one complaining about replace outs happens again, why aren’t more people penalized for doing this unless rl or actual internet issues are to blame?

If we penalized ppl for flaking then who'd be left to play?!? :lol:

I agree with you in the sense serial flakes should be punished but it might be seen as some kind of invasion of privacy or something if we start asking people why they flaked.

but I think this is mostly self-resolving? Like I'm pretty sure Yume ate a site bam or something.

It's not nearly as common as it used to be (or maybe it still is) but mods can and would deny entry to serial flakes.

but the newest fad is if you get prodded 3 times in a game you are force replaced so like maybe we should make a thing where if you are force replaced 3 times you get like a month ban or something and then 3 bans for flaking you get a year.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:01 am

Post by Something_Smart »

As someone who never flakes out of games, I'm obviously biased, but I do feel that it's a commitment that can be reasonably upheld. Barring extreme circumstances, you should be able to at least notify the mod if you will no longer have time to play.

I think a penalty for flaking out of games would be pretty reasonable, though I don't know if it would actually help anything, because it's really hard for me to understand why someone would flake out at all (unless they're a new player who completely forgot about the site).
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:21 am

Post by lilith2013 »

We do penalize people for excessive flaking or replacing out - if you search the ban thread for "replacing," there are several results detailing restrictions we have placed on users for excessive replacing out in the past. unfortunately we are not omniscient and have to rely somewhat on reports of this occurring in order to be aware of a large pattern emerging. on my end, I try to keep an eye on the replacement request queue for any names coming up a lot, which is admittedly not a perfect proxy; as far as I'm aware, there aren't any players in recent history who would be penalized for excessive replacement. if you see people flaking out or replacing out of games repeatedly, then please report it so we can take appropriate action.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:52 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 6, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 0, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:This thread seems to never ever get made, so before yet another one complaining about replace outs happens again, why aren’t more people penalized for doing this unless rl or actual internet issues are to blame?

If we penalized ppl for flaking then who'd be left to play?!? :lol:

I agree with you in the sense serial flakes should be punished but it might be seen as some kind of invasion of privacy or something if we start asking people why they flaked.

but I think this is mostly self-resolving? Like I'm pretty sure Yume ate a site bam or something.

It's not nearly as common as it used to be (or maybe it still is) but mods can and would deny entry to serial flakes.

but the newest fad is if you get prodded 3 times in a game you are force replaced so like maybe we should make a thing where if you are force replaced 3 times you get like a month ban or something and then 3 bans for flaking you get a year.
Yes but unfortunately not all game mods are always on top of this and even when they are. it’s extremely annoying to have to wait for a player - who has a prior history of doing this in past games, drag the game out - which deprives the rest of the playerlist valuable info about their slot. This is particularly problematic in smaller games with less players.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:58 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 7, Something_Smart wrote:As someone who never flakes out of games, I'm obviously biased, but I do feel that it's a commitment that can be reasonably upheld. Barring extreme circumstances, you should be able to at least notify the mod if you will no longer have time to play.

I think a penalty for flaking out of games would be pretty reasonable, though I don't know if it would actually help anything, because it's really hard for me to understand why someone would flake out at all (unless they're a new player who completely forgot about the site).
Well, it would deter serial flakers, which is whom I’m most concerned about. Exactly! I don’t think I’ve ever flaked once on this site unless it literally involved internet or rl issues that could not be helped and even then I did my due diligence in trying to keep the game mod apprised of that. I have flaked on another site - not MU because of extreme formatting frustrations but that obviously isn’t a problem for me on this site.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:02 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 8, lilith2013 wrote:We do penalize people for excessive flaking or replacing out - if you search the ban thread for "replacing," there are several results detailing restrictions we have placed on users for excessive replacing out in the past. unfortunately we are not omniscient and have to rely somewhat on reports of this occurring in order to be aware of a large pattern emerging. on my end, I try to keep an eye on the replacement request queue for any names coming up a lot, which is admittedly not a perfect proxy; as far as I'm aware, there aren't any players in recent history who would be penalized for excessive replacement. if you see people flaking out or replacing out of games repeatedly, then please report it so we can take appropriate action.
Yes excessive replacing out can also be a problem as well but I view excessive serial flaking as essentially extremely disrespectful to both the game mod and other players and if you’re onsite and literally ignore three subsequent prods, you clearly don’t want to be in said game anyway, so why not just let the mod know and spare them from having to go through all that? Perhaps a database of players who do either excessively might possibly be worth looking in to?
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:02 pm

Post by Ythan »

No strong feelings one way or the other but interested to see how people feel.
House
House
Survivor
House
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:25 pm

Post by House »

When flaking becomes habitual, it should be an actionable offense. It is incredibly disrespectful not just to the game mod, but also the players to just ditch one game after another.

Who wants to share a player list with someone who can't show the slightest modicum of courtesy so the moderator can minimize the time that slot is vacant? I don't.
The apology that resulted in my indefinite ban:

https://tinyimg.io/i/ZX5Yjhw.png
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:11 am

Post by T-Bone »

Excessive replacing out whether by choice or by force is against the rules and has been enforced. But we are not omniscient and it takes the cooperation of the community to help identify if there is someone really doing that. The worst monitors the replacements queue and has an easy line to the rest of us if he notices.

No one has been banned for it in recent memory cause no one has done it in recent memory lol
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:55 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 14, T-Bone wrote:Excessive replacing out whether by choice or by force is against the rules and has been enforced. But we are not omniscient and it takes the cooperation of the community to help identify if there is someone really doing that. The worst monitors the replacements queue and has an easy line to the rest of us if he notices.

No one has been banned for it in recent memory cause no one has done it in recent memory lol
In post 13, House wrote:When flaking becomes habitual, it should be an actionable offense. It is incredibly disrespectful not just to the game mod, but also the players to just ditch one game after another.

Who wants to share a player list with someone who can't show the slightest modicum of courtesy so the moderator can minimize the time that slot is vacant? I don't.
+1

@mods, this thread is specifically about the problem of excessive or serial flaking, replacing out of games is not the actual topic of this discussion, because a slot doesn’t remain vacant in that case.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:28 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Someone flaking would be replaced, yeah? So the effect would be the same.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:37 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 16, T-Bone wrote:Someone flaking would be replaced, yeah? So the effect would be the same.
Only after having received three prods.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:15 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 16, T-Bone wrote:Someone flaking would be replaced, yeah? So the effect would be the same.
Yes, but the moderators seem to treat flaking as the same severity as a normal replace out. This thread is advocating for there to be a distinction between the two with unannounced flaking having more severe consequences than replacing with notice.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:03 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 18, Ircher wrote:
Yes, but the moderators seem to treat flaking as the same severity as a normal replace out. This thread is advocating for there to be a distinction between the two with unannounced flaking having more severe consequences than replacing with notice.
+1

Well, especially in the case of frequent serial flaking anyway. It really really hurts games when a slot relains vacant for too long. This situation can almost potentially break a game if more than one player at a time is doing this concurrently.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:05 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

I flaked out of my verrrrrrry first game back in like 2018 or 2019. Came back two years later... would have sucked to be punished for it, but I agree that serial flakers should be first warned, then banned if they continue.
If u dont elim me today, you are Minecrafters
~Vasex
When i open this game, and starting read, i immediatly close it because i starting strongly consider self last townie alive and others are just jesters.
~Enchant
redtea
redtea
they/them
Mafia Scum
redtea
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:40 am

Post by redtea »

I think a rule as a deterrent might not be a bad idea? Like nero said, flake three times and get a ban.

I know I've had issues of serial flaking in the past, so a rule that makes you think more about what you can reasonably take on might be good. I had a lot of trouble gauging that + my level of social/general anxiety at the time made contacting mods to be replaced out difficult for me, and a hard and fast rule like that might've made me think more about if I could really take on a game, or pushed me to contact the mod for a replacement.

I don't know how well it'd work but maybe it's worth trying.
*Old account here
redtea
redtea
they/them
Mafia Scum
redtea
they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:41 am

Post by redtea »

maybe the number of flakes allowed after a ban decreases- two flakes and a ban next time.

But I suppose at that point you might have to have some kind of formal system in place to keep track of all that
*Old account here
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:04 am

Post by lilith2013 »

Game mods are already able to prod and force replace basically at will, and it’s unlikely that listmods would become aware of someone flaking before game mods so it doesn’t seem very reasonable at the individual game level to depend on listmods for action. Game mods are the first line of defense, essentially.

I don’t really think that we need to or should treat flaking out differently than someone being replaced out. First, what constitutes “flaking” is very subjective - is it X days without posting? Then the game mod’s ability to force replace and excessive replacement penalties should cover this. Is it making fewer than X posts within Y days? What if those posts are full of content? Then is it fewer than X posts with content within Y days? What do we consider to be valid content? It’s much more straightforward to determine that someone has been excessively replaced than to try to make a value judgment on whether or not they have met the criteria of flaking, and because of that I think excessive replacements is, although not perfect, fine as a proxy for flaking. If someone has flaked out of games and is being penalized for excessive replaceouts, how much harsher is the penalty supposed to be or how would the penalty be substantially different to such an extent that we need to consider flaking as an entirely different offense from excessive replacements? And why should someone’s personal circumstances change the severity of the penalty?

Finally, I haven’t seen any reports about a player flaking in my time so far. So it doesn’t really matter what discussion we’re having about flaking if no one is reporting it.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:09 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I’m not aware that flaking is even reportable at this time? With all due respect, the entire point of what I and other people are arguing is that they would prefer a player replace out before needing to undergo 3 prods if they really don’t intend to continue with the game. I’m not concerned with players who miss prods for good faith reasons but still intend to continue the game. What my issue is with players who opt out of games by flaking in lieu of replacing out, so I think penalizing serial replacing out actually worsens the problem and encourages flaking, which is clearly much much more destabilizing to any ongoing game.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”