Blending Role Madness & Haunted Mansion

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
astronomyfortwo
astronomyfortwo
Townie
astronomyfortwo
Townie
Townie

Blending Role Madness & Haunted Mansion

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:52 pm

Post by astronomyfortwo »

To start off, I'm new to the forums but not to Mafia. I play on a Discord server where games are usually themed/flavor-heavy, large (30-40 players, with some approaching 60), and with closed setups that are probably considered role madness. For an average game, there's usually 4-5 mafia, a cult, an SK, an ASS (anti-social survivor, steals the win), one or two social survivors, an invig (town/survivor vigilante that can only target inactive players), and 20 or so town players; every town player has a power role, w/ some being more powerful and some being negative utility. Day and night phases vary in length, but tend to be roughly 4 to 8 hours long around midgame. Many games have some sort of day event to spice things up.

I'm currently setting up a game for this server, and while doing research for mechanics and such on the mafiascum wiki and forums, I learned about the Haunted Mansion mish-mash games. As the flavor for my game has it taking place at a mansion, I pretty quickly got hooked onto the concept of incorporating HM mechanics into a RM game. But I have no idea how that would work!

Current plan is to have a 2- or 3-part night phase: dusk, midnight?, and dawn. Dusk and dawn are movement/explore phases, and every night a player may explore during either phase. Manipulative and protective actions (eg. roleblocker, jailor, doctor) are accounted for before dusk exploration; kills are accounted for at midnight (but not announced); communicative and investigative actions are accounted for after dawn exploration. Factions with a group chat can only have one player explore per night; I'm planning to have one member of the Mafia be able to kill during the exploration phase but I have some kinks to work out with that. Aside from that, so far I've only planned out movement/exploration for being a way to receive items.

Does this seem like a reasonable setup? What could I do to improve it? Have there been any games like this either here or elsewhere that I could use as reference?
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:32 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

There’s been a mafia game on here that was run with Betrayal at House on the Hill theming, maybe that would help for ideas of how to implement what you have in mind? I might link it if you want
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
astronomyfortwo
astronomyfortwo
Townie
astronomyfortwo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:35 am

Post by astronomyfortwo »

In post 1, Gamma Emerald wrote:There’s been a mafia game on here that was run with Betrayal at House on the Hill theming, maybe that would help for ideas of how to implement what you have in mind? I might link it if you want
found + checking it out now, thank you!
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:32 am

Post by lilith2013 »

That was my game! happy to discuss ideas and be a sounding board if you’d like.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”