Just a tip

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Just a tip

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:06 pm

Post by Alisae »

I wrote this while I'm stoned and its a grumbled mess of garbage

I have found that removing yourself from the game, just sitting back and letting things play out, is the best course of strategy when it comes to reading players as well as the gamestate. If you can identify what you think scum are going to want to actually do, then your job is easy: Just look for the players and their actions during the course of the current day phase and just try to think if their actions align with what scum actually want to do during the day phase.

To win as scum, you have to cross the finish line. Crossing the finish line is very hard for me, either because I'm bad or I just get bad RNG. I have no idea and tbh I don't exactly care anymore?

Anyhow, you have to cross the finish line to win as scum, so as town we can try to identify how each player would cross the finish line as scum. This gets easier and easier the longer the game gets. Scum players also get lazy as keeping up the charade, so if you approach each day phase with an open mind and throwing everything you know from the previous day phase out the window, you might find notice something you might have not have noticed previously.

Either way, to me townhunting is a lot easier than scumhunting. Progressively throughout the game, townies will naturally be town. Only Town has the desire to be right. If you can identify these moments and identify moments that can only come from town, then it's easy to just get a bunch of townreads and eventually sus out who scum are because you identified who town are.

Fair warning though,
The truth is, once you play against scumplayers like Pooky and LLD, who basically make the game of Mafia seem like nothing makes sense and make it seem like not even robots can perfect this game, you'll realize that this shit is really fucking arbitrary. You think you know what's going on, but then suddenly you don't.

Luckily for the average player, most scumplayers aren't Pooky or LLD, and seeing a talent like those nowadays that is excited to play the alignment is rare. Most people don't even like the alignment.

As long as you're a villager and you try to chase after the robots, you'll be fine.

At the end of the day.
Villagers want to be right on scum.
Scum want to kill villagers.

I implore an individual to try to just, remove yourself from the game. Let the other players in the game just do their thing. Take a backseat for a couple days, observe as much as possible, and think a game through this lens. You'll find as you get more and more information the longer and longer the mafia game goes on, and as you understand more and more of what is actually happening inside the mafia game, who likes/dislikes who, how many votes you need to kill a player, and as you try to figure out who are the players who want to be right one by one, you'll have good reads.

Oh
also you should probably trust players more. If you let players just do their thing, you'll be able to read them better than you would have if you just put them on blast because you don't want to sort any other slots or do something else. If that player is doing something that is actually scum indictive (keep an eye out for tricks), you should be able to do it. Or you realize that the player does just want to be right at the end of the day and that they're a villager.

Who knows.
GTKAS
| here.
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:11 pm

Post by Cook »

wiki it
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:33 am

Post by Micc »

I agree with all of this
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:09 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 1, Cook wrote:wiki it
yeah this would be a good wiki article, though in current state it's kinda rough around the edges
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:59 am

Post by Cook »

working on it
Cults With Guns //

Inventor of 3d20 //
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:27 am

Post by Cook »

Cults With Guns //

Inventor of 3d20 //
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:36 am

Post by Ythan »

Getting to be a big fan of Cook.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:45 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

I went in and categorized as both Views *and* Play articles, since it's kinda a mix of both. Do correct me if this is wrong.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:36 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 0, Alisae wrote:also you should probably trust players more. If you let players just do their thing, you'll be able to read them better than you would have if you just put them on blast because you don't want to sort any other slots or do something else. If that player is doing something that is actually scum indictive (keep an eye out for tricks), you should be able to do it. Or you realize that the player does just want to be right at the end of the day and that they're a villager.
Alyssa The Lamb
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:38 am

Post by Alyssa The Lamb »

Good post
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:50 am

Post by DkKoba »

true bc my spec chat solves are always better than my in game solves
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:51 am

Post by DkKoba »

but also my trust of other townies extends as far as I need to read them and then i shut down on reads i think are egregiously wrong D:
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky

Return to “Mafia Discussion”