Mafia Normal Project: Role + Modifer Mod/Player FAQ

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Mafia Normal Project: Role + Modifer Mod/Player FAQ

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:07 pm

Post by DkKoba »

Hey! So in a recent game I made a mod error relating to a modifier that works differently in Normal games than other mafia games - and also a few other past questions and stuff came to mind in terms of Things That Are Not Clear about roles/modifiers in Normal games.

I'd like to compile a list of questions/answers to these so that people who are new to normals/modding normals might have a guide that helps(or even people experienced in both who are unsure about an obscure facet of normal games!)

I have created a google document to keep track of all this
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ubD ... sp=sharing

Post your own questions/answers or obscure role/modifier info you feel might be unclear to others!

Also any role/modifier that works differently than expected in other places!

(also with this we can help create standardized role PM formats that include this info that is important.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:09 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I will start - Can a multitasking commuter role that includes a visiting role utilize it's commute *and* its ability?

Does a neighborizer start with their own PT open to write in, so say if they were to die N1, the person they neighborize sees all their notes?
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:56 pm

Post by Ircher »

I have quite a few things about backup interactions saved for reference purposes: 1) Backups do not inherit modifiers (except Universal Backups which DO inherit modifiers) 2) Universal Backups always flip both initial and inherited roles and 3) An X-Shot Backup starts with that many shots; they do not inherit the remaining shots from the original player. On the other hand, universal backups DO inherit remaining shots.
Last edited by Ircher on Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:11 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 2, Ircher wrote:I have quite a few things about backup interactions saved for reference purposes: 1) Backups do not inherit modifiers 2) Universal Backups always flip both initial and inherited roles and 3) An X-Shot Backup starts with that many shots; they do not inherit the remaining shots from the original player. On the other hand, universal backups DO inherit remaining shots.
This is extremely helpful thank you!!
retired
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:56 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

think of it like this:

Backup is a
modifier
, it modifies the attached role to be only usable when a role of that type exists. If a 1-shot Loyal Doctor dies, a Nurse (special name for a Backup Doctor) gains a now ungated and non-Loyal Doctor ability. A 1-shot Nurse has a 1-shot ability even if the Doctor already used a shot.

Universal Backup is a
passive role
, it can receive modifiers that make sense for passive roles but it will inherit the modifiers (and used shots!) from the role that died. If a 1-shot Doctor that is depleted dies, the UB will be depleted. I'd assume an Even Night UB that inherits an ungated Cop can start cop checking on even and odd nights.

A UB related question: Is there a non-random way to resolve a UB inheritance when multiple players that a UB can inherit from die during the Night?

Extreme minutia: Would a Backup UB become able to inherit a role when a UB inherits a role?
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:59 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I'd also like to point out that a Bodyguard doesn't redirect kills, but merely dies from a successful protect.

Also BG + Doctor is an unbreakable circle protect (if the Doctor gets targeted, the BG takes the bullet but then gets healed, if the BG gets targeted the BG gets healed), and I'd personally resolve a BG + BG circle protect as the BG that wasn't targeted by the kill dying (I think this is how Reasonable Action Resolution resolves it? - it cuts off infinite loops by disallowing the same exact reason to appear more than once in action resolution).
time will end
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:16 pm

Post by Cook »

ego

activated turns passives into active abilities

loyal is an active ability only modifier

ergo

activated loyal neighbor

how does it work
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:23 pm

Post by lendunistus »

In post 1, DkKoba wrote:Does a neighborizer start with their own PT open to write in, so say if they were to die N1, the person they neighborize sees all their notes?
a neighborizer DOES start with their own PT that they can post to and neighborization resolves before kills according to NAR, so if they were to die N1 but still target someone, that someone could still read their notes
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:29 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

is a backup joat legal
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:24 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 4, TemporalLich wrote:A UB related question: Is there a non-random way to resolve a UB inheritance when multiple players that a UB can inherit from die during the Night?
You shouldn't be resolving actions randomly in a normal. (This is why compulsive is normalized as it is.) Anyway, the setup designer is supposed to (during the review process) specify some sort of priority system to resolve this.
In post 8, OkaPoka wrote:is a backup joat legal
I don't see why something like Backup JOAT (Cop, Doctor, Vigilante) wouldn't be, but if you mean a generic backup JOAT that inherits any kind of JOAT, the answer would be no.
Last edited by Ircher on Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:27 am

Post by DkKoba »

Itd be funnier if they just became a joat
retired
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:39 am

Post by Cook »

the way you'd probably do it is JOAT (Backup Cop, Backup Doctor, Backup Vigilante) if you want them to have multiple x-shots
Your friendly neighborhood chef and baker. LONG LIVE THE CHEFHAT REBELLION!
Cults With Guns //
"ya true if you don't play mafia you are probably winning" – Alisae

Inventor of 3d20 //
Successful Rebellion Leader//
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:59 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I think using NAR to break ties for UB seems like a “sensible” option
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:25 pm

Post by Ythan »

Good thread ego
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:08 pm

Post by implosion »

This is a good thread; I will say that there are many situations in normal games that aren't really possible to resolve without some amount of ambiguity/having to just pick an interpretation. Some answers in no particular order:
In post 6, Cook wrote:activated loyal neighbor

how does it work
There are certain semantic rules around how some modifiers can be applied that aren't explicitly stated anywhere, but they follow sort of "obvious" english syntax rules.

"activated" here is being applied to "neighbor", but the "activated" modifier can only be applied to passives that it makes sense to activate. Neighbor does not, because "activating" a neighbor modifier doesn't make sense; the only thing it could mean is to add or revoke access to the neighbor topic, but the status of "neighbor" applies during the day and night phases, not during action resolution as other activated roles (like bulleptoof or ascetic) do. So it doesn't make sense, the only roles you can apply "activated" to are those that have some role within action resolution. *technically* neighbor does have a role during action resolution (for e.g. PT cops) but I think I'd rule this as not allowed.

"loyal" similarly has semantics: it can only be applied to roles that target a player. Ergo, a loyal activated bulletproof is not a legal role, because activated bulletproof is not a role that can target a player.

I'm not certain on neighborizer; I believe they don't start with access to a PT and that it's created upon successful neighborization, because it's an active role and not a passive one. But another NRG member might disagree with me here.
OkaPoka wrote:is a backup joat legal
"Backup Jack of All Trades" is not a legal role, because "Jack of all trades" is not a legal role and "backup" has the semantics that described. "Backup Jack of All Trades (Tracker, Watcher)" is definitely a legal role, but I believe it would only activate when a Jack of all Trades (Tracker, Watcher) dies, rather than any JoAT at all. So basically what Ircher said. While I'm on the subject, note the difference between a loyal backup doctor (if any doctor dies, they become a loyal doctor) and a backup loyal doctor (if any loyal doctor dies, they become a loyal doctor. This would include e.g. a loyal 1-shot doctor). You can think of there as being hidden parentheses, e.g. loyal (backup doctor) vs backup (loyal doctor).

The standard for UB in setups where it's possible for multiple players to die simultaneously is currently that the setup designer specifies an order for those roles to be inherited. It's not perfect.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:21 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

Activated Neighbor would make the most sense if it were to activate for the next cycle (if you activate N1, you have Neighbor access D2 and N2) imo.

Disclaimer: I am using Theme logic and should not be considered someone who knows how Normals work. I ran a Normal with a 1-shot Ascetic and a different Normal with a Neighbor Enabler

I am pretty sure this would not work in a Normal but that's the way I'd expect an Activated Neighbor to work.
time will end
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:57 pm

Post by implosion »

Yeah, I agree both that that’s what it would do and that it doesn’t make sense for it to be that way in normals, hence thinking it’s not a valid normal role.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:42 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 5, TemporalLich wrote:Also BG + Doctor is an unbreakable circle protect (if the Doctor gets targeted, the BG takes the bullet but then gets healed, if the BG gets targeted the BG gets healed), and I'd personally resolve a BG + BG circle protect as the BG that wasn't targeted by the kill dying (I think this is how Reasonable Action Resolution resolves it? - it cuts off infinite loops by disallowing the same exact reason to appear more than once in action resolution).
Actually, there isn't any protective loops, assuming competent wording when writing role PMs (semantics are IMPORTANT in role PMs!)--if you think there is, that's mod error.

A bodyguard can be worded as something along the lines of, "if your target were to be nightkilled, you will prevent them from being killed. If you successfully protect them, you will die." Instantly, this breaks a BG-BG loop. (It also breaks the BG-rolestopper loop, too. And is a component in breaking the BG-Doctor loop.)

A doctor can be worded as something along the lines of, "you will protect your target from one nightkill attempt". Instantly, this wording breaks a BG-Doctor loop. Because a bodyguard, as you said, is not a redirect role. A bodyguard protecting a player is not being directly shot at. Ergo, any attempts to protect the bodyguard from a direct shot will not save the bodyguard from being killed when the bodyguard successfully protects.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:00 am

Post by TemporalLich »

BG death is a standard death though? I used the wording "Each night, you may protect another player from a single kill, however you will die if you successfully protect against a kill." in my last Normal for a BG. Note the intentional lack of the word "unavoidably". BG death can be protected against, and that setup also had a Roaming Doctor (which would allow the circle protect to work only once).

As for rolestopper + BG I would assume that is also a circle protect but someone could nitpick that to not be a circle protect (likely with the reasoning of "bodyguard death isn't technically an ability") and it's better if Bodyguard worked consistently imo.
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:13 am

Post by TemporalLich »

If you're going to say that BG death is unavoidable, please consider how that would affect a Multitasking Bodyguard Commuter or a Combined Bodyguard Commuter - the latter would not be effectively the same thing as a Combined Doctor Commuter if BG death is unavoidable.
time will end
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:38 am

Post by DkKoba »

Ok - what does a gunsmith see when checking:
Mafia Combined Doctor Cop
Mafia Traitor Cop

also - can a multitasking commuter cop commute and check someone the same night? (Theoretical role, i know itd never exist
retired
ChaosOmega
ChaosOmega
Mafia Scum
ChaosOmega
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:44 am

Post by ChaosOmega »

In post 20, DkKoba wrote:Ok - what does a gunsmith see when checking:
Mafia Combined Doctor Cop
Mafia Traitor Cop

also - can a multitasking commuter cop commute and check someone the same night? (Theoretical role, i know itd never exist
A gunsmith would get a positive result from both. Gunsmith sees a gun on cops, and they are both cops.

I would say no to the 2nd one. The Wiki says "The Commuter is a role that "leaves Town" each Night, thus making them ineligible to be targeted by Night actions. By extension, they cannot use any other Night actions they may have."
Is it any wonder things seem so awry? We swim in a sea of confusion and don't have to think to survive, so nobody listens!
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:46 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 18, TemporalLich wrote:BG death is a standard death though?
It
can
be if you word it that way.
It
shouldn't
be, if you want to word it the smart way which actually breaks the loop.

Which, again, is why semantics in a role is important.
In post 19, TemporalLich wrote:If you're going to say that BG death is unavoidable, please consider how that would affect a Multitasking Bodyguard Commuter or a Combined Bodyguard Commuter - the latter would not be effectively the same thing as a Combined Doctor Commuter if BG death is unavoidable.
A multitasking/combined bodyguard-commuter would be untargetable by any and all actions when commuting, but still serve as a protective role, and upon successfully protecting, would die.

Commuting doesn't protect against death; it protects against the players trying to kill them. Important distinction. A commuting role could still die if they were, for instance, Weak and a combined/multitasking Weak role that targeted scum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:48 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 20, DkKoba wrote:also - can a multitasking commuter cop commute and check someone the same night? (Theoretical role, i know itd never exist
By virtue of being multitasking, explicitly so, yes.

Would it ever pass review?

Explicitly not, for obvious reasons.

So it's the kind of theoretical interaction that is theoretically legal by the rules but which a reviewer will 100% always veto.

That said, a multitasking commuter + some other role not busted by virtue of being able to commute every night? Very well
could
pass review, and would in fact be able to both commute and act.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:28 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

anyone who wants to include Combined Bodyguard Commuter (please don't make this an ungated role)
in a theme
could just insert the operating word "unavoidable" to actually make it work the way it should.

Since the greylist is gone, that is not possible with the Normal Bodyguard, which is treated as a normal death that can be protected from (this is implicit on the wiki page, especially with the intro using the same word in "However, if the protected player is supposed to be
killed
, the Bodyguard is
killed
instead ("taking the bullet" for them, as it were)." (emphasis added))
time will end

Return to “Mafia Discussion”