Mafia Universe Championships - Let's enter this year

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:38 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

i have no opinion other than getting all the nominees to play a tournament of x vs y games, b01, double elimination to find the ultimate god gamer
Alyssa The Lamb
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:20 am

Post by Alyssa The Lamb »

In post 17, Menalque wrote:I think Prism is being sincere fwiw, and N_M is actually really very good if trying

Cabd and pooky would both make sense, so would notty, skitter, and nsg if they were interested. Alyssa too if she’s playing again
I'm back in retirement
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:31 pm

Post by DkKoba »

Alright since we have the greenlight, I'm going to help facilitate this and keep track. I will make this a nomination + 2nd system for initial pool and then I will help narrow it down.

If you do not wish to play and perceive yourself as a potential nominee, please state in the thread so you can be removed.

If you have ANY questions about this, feel free to ask! I have been an on and off user on MU for about 1.5 years now, and as well have played with many of the former finalists in games across sites.

I will gather up the previous noms and compile them but my revised nom list from me is:

Hectic
MariaR
CabD
Pookythemagicalbear
Nancy Drew 39
Petapan/Catboi/Gira

If I didn't list your name, either I have not seen any games from you in the past year that I think would be good enough to stand out past round 1, you have already declined in this thread, or I believe you unlikely to be able to play due to your play schedule on the site itself.

Generally - if you are not known on the site, they will need to see you stand out in a way - so if you are generally a quiet player it may not be the place for you. Also people will post a LOT sometimes, especially some of the more potent champs reps from the scarier communities.

I'm double checking when the deadline is for reps but lets make the deadline for nominations... about 1 week from now:

[deadline]1 week[/deadline]

That should be plenty of time to narrow down our pool.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:35 pm

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

Given you're representing another site, Koba, I don't know if I feel all that comfortable with you being the one to organize or make decisions on shortlists. Like, don't you have a vested interest given you'll be playing in who you play with?

Doubly since you're not representing this community.

I feel like the way to do this is to ask people who might want to have their name in the ring volunteer, and if more than 2 people volunteer we can have people talk about it/decide and worst case scenario if we must, have some kind of poll.

But I'm not super happy with the limited scope of your decisions of who you think is good enough, doubly when you're slated to be playing this season and representing outside our community.

So let's put out a request for volunteers, how about we start there?
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:35 pm

Post by DkKoba »

(expired on 2022-03-29 21:37:24)
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:41 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I mean regardless of if i help or not I'm going to be running to another community I support(Epicmafia) and give them the nom's meta so it really doesn't matter since I'm not choosing anyone myself, just helping organize. (I also will be providing meta for the noms I do know so don't worry it works both ways).

Not seeing your point, I just was the one who was primarily *pushing* MS to actually be in this year pretty hard publicly.

I just like the communities I belong to and don't try to use that to gain an advantage for myself like that, I'm honorable :P
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:43 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 17, Menalque wrote:I think Prism is being sincere fwiw, and N_M is actually really very good if trying

Cabd and pooky would both make sense, so would notty, skitter, and nsg if they were interested. Alyssa too if she’s playing again
In post 11, Gamma Emerald wrote:I think Cabd or Pooky would probably be good representatives for us out of the initial suggestions
So far, CabD and Pooky have 3 votes and are nominated to be the nomination.

We also need a backup as well btw.

Feel free to nominate or nth anyone you see fit, except people who have declined to enter.

People who have actively declined so far: Prism, Skitter30
retired
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:46 pm

My point is that "pushing to get MS to send nominees" and "shortlisting and having a weighted hand in who those nominees are" is two different things and had you only done one we wouldn't be having this conversation right now but you set yourself up as an expert and authority, made claims and choices with that authority, trampled on someone giving a nomination you didn't agree with and are more or less putting a timer on making the choices with what it seems is like your control and purview.

None of this is okay. You did your job. MS will send 2 nominees to MU champs. I would like it if as a person nominated to play somewhere else (and also apparently doing similar outreach elsewhere) if you recused yourself from discussions and nominations and let things go from here.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:47 pm

In post 32, DkKoba wrote:

In post 11, Gamma Emerald wrote:I think Cabd or Pooky would probably be good representatives for us out of the initial suggestions
So far, CabD and Pooky have 3 votes and are nominated to be the nomination.

We also need a backup as well btw.

Feel free to nominate or nth anyone you see fit, except people who have declined to enter.

People who have actively declined so far: Prism, Skitter30

N_M also has 2 nominations. Please stop what you are doing here.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:47 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I am a part of this community and I respectfully reject that notion, thank you.
retired
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:01 pm

Post by fferyllt »

I second Prism's nomination of not_mafia.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:02 pm

Post by AniX »

To be clear, while users are welcome to suggest ways of deciding a nominee, this is a sitewide event where all of mafiascum is represented and the entire userbase should be involved in agreeing to and deciding upon that method before it is instituted.

Also, speaking as a regular user who will be represented and not a mod and not reflecting any determination, decision, or opinion of the moderation team, I do echo LLD's concern, Koba, that I don't know how valuable or reflective of community sentiment a method devised by single user competing for another team, drawn from a list composed by a single user competing for another team, run and with terms and deadlines set by a single user competing for another team is. I think it is certainly a fine method of deciding and one I think the user base could certainly decide will reflect the opinon of the user base. But I think you ought to hold off on creating a deadline until the user base has weighed in.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:03 pm

In post 36, fferyllt wrote:I second Prism's nomination of not_mafia.
I third Prism's nomination of Not_Mafia.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:05 pm

Post by DkKoba »

well the thread has been up for a week, I have posted it in the discord, and there is literally a deadline for submissions, so sure, I can remove the deadline if people are so sensitive to it.

The point is to gather a nomination pool that is easy to create and then go into a further, longer term, stage of eliminating them.

Also please stop making the fact I am competing for another community a point because it literally does not mean I will sabotage MS. You are implying that it will by making it a point.
retired
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:08 pm

In post 39, DkKoba wrote:well the thread has been up for a week, I have posted it in the discord, and there is literally a deadline for submissions, so sure, I can remove the deadline if people are so sensitive to it.

The point is to gather a nomination pool that is easy to create and then go into a further, longer term, stage of eliminating them.

Also please stop making the fact I am competing for another community a point because it literally does not mean I will sabotage MS. You are implying that it will by making it a point.
And we are saying that we are uncomfortable with you unilaterally making that decision on how we go about this in GENERAL and even more uncomfortable with the ethics of the situation given you are slated to be playing and we don't care if you think we're implying you'd sabotage us or not, but rather that being in that situation to begin with is the uncomfortable bit.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:09 pm

Post by Bell »

Shouldn’t the people in question be asked first before voting on them.
Andante
Andante
She
Survivor
Andante
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:10 pm

Post by Andante »

I'm not sure how well known I am here, but I'd be down to play (only if yall would want me to though!! it's ok if no) I'm not sure who all is interested, and I don't want people to feel forced to have to do it cause like, yeah those deadlines are crazy different to MS deadlines, someone used to MS, then gets thrown in a 12/12 game? ehhh but yeah, figured I'd at least throw my name out there. I haven't done 48/24 in a while, but like, that's the kind of forum maf I come from, but if someone else wants to do it, go for it!! but I'm not gonna voice for/against someone who hasn't even said they'd want to, but if people want me to... I'd be so happy to rep MS!!! wooooooo!!
(Also, I won't be crushed if people don't want me to... I understand.. I promise I'll give my best those games though!!)
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:11 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 41, Bell wrote:Shouldn’t the people in question be asked first before voting on them.
they are free to decline the nomination.

Not_Mafia has expressed disdain of MU in games I have played with him so I very much expect he will decline here.
retired
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:12 pm

In post 41, Bell wrote:Shouldn’t the people in question be asked first before voting on them.
This would be my preference too. I think we should seek volunteers who WANT to play, then nominate/vote/discuss among those excited participants.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:12 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 42, Andante wrote:I'm not sure how well known I am here, but I'd be down to play (only if yall would want me to though!! it's ok if no) I'm not sure who all is interested, and I don't want people to feel forced to have to do it cause like, yeah those deadlines are crazy different to MS deadlines, someone used to MS, then gets thrown in a 12/12 game? ehhh but yeah, figured I'd at least throw my name out there. I haven't done 48/24 in a while, but like, that's the kind of forum maf I come from, but if someone else wants to do it, go for it!! but I'm not gonna voice for/against someone who hasn't even said they'd want to, but if people want me to... I'd be so happy to rep MS!!! wooooooo!!
(Also, I won't be crushed if people don't want me to... I understand.. I promise I'll give my best those games though!!)
i didnt know if you wanted to play or would be able to, but I nominate Andante too, she also has been amazing on MU
retired
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:12 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 42, Andante wrote:I'm not sure how well known I am here, but I'd be down to play (only if yall would want me to though!! it's ok if no) I'm not sure who all is interested, and I don't want people to feel forced to have to do it cause like, yeah those deadlines are crazy different to MS deadlines, someone used to MS, then gets thrown in a 12/12 game? ehhh but yeah, figured I'd at least throw my name out there. I haven't done 48/24 in a while, but like, that's the kind of forum maf I come from, but if someone else wants to do it, go for it!! but I'm not gonna voice for/against someone who hasn't even said they'd want to, but if people want me to... I'd be so happy to rep MS!!! wooooooo!!
I think you would make a good candidate.

I like the ask for volunteers --> vote method.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:16 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 44, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:
This would be my preference too. I think we should seek volunteers who WANT to play, then nominate/vote/discuss among those excited participants.
What is wrong with having an opt-out system? Genuinely curious since being nominated =/= forced to play.

I am simply copying the system that literally every other community I have seen uses, and works.

It would take extra time to do that, plus also it would feel disappointing to nominate yourself to play and literally no one votes for you, don't you think?
retired
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:16 pm

Post by Bell »

I just want whoever participates to have fun and wants to be there. *points at Andante*
That person looks like they have both.

So like. +1 Andante.
+1N_M as a joke.
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:17 pm

Post by Bell »

Peer pressure is meh. I know the player’s we nom are adults and all, but it feels more feel good to go with volunteers than cyberwarriorx6.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:18 pm

Post by AniX »

I don't think there is anything wrong with you going "I think this would be a good method of deciding". But when you speak with authority as to how it is going to be run, complete with soliciting and composing the list and setting deadlines, you create the risk of people who otherwise might weigh in with a different method of deciding or different thoughts on how it should be run feeling the decision has already been made. We already see here good faith criticism with how your process works and you arguing back on that criticism. That's great and debate makes the system stronger, but that process gets cut short when you post in the manner you originally did.

Also, it isn't about anyone believing you are going to sabotage. I don't think anyone does. It is simply a matter of creating an environment that is most welcoming to the most amount of voices and someone competing for another team running "tryouts" for this site simply...does not do that. I don't play a ton of sports so this metaphor might get away from me, but even if you trust another coach not to sabotage, you still wouldn't let them set your lineup. You are absolutely a member of this community except in the limited scope of this competition where you are openly engaging in it for a different site.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN

Return to “Mafia Discussion”