Mafia Universe Championships - Let's enter this year

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:19 pm

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 50, AniX wrote:I don't think there is anything wrong with you going "I think this would be a good method of deciding". But when you speak with authority as to how it is going to be run, complete with soliciting and composing the list and setting deadlines, you create the risk of people who otherwise might weigh in with a different method of deciding or different thoughts on how it should be run feeling the decision has already been made. We already see here good faith criticism with how your process works and you arguing back on that criticism. That's great and debate makes the system stronger, but that process gets cut short when you post in the manner you originally did.

Also, it isn't about anyone believing you are going to sabotage. I don't think anyone does. It is simply a matter of creating an environment that is most welcoming to the most amount of voices and someone competing for another team running "tryouts" for this site simply...does not do that. I don't play a ton of sports so this metaphor might get away from me, but even if you trust another coach not to sabotage, you still wouldn't let them set your lineup. You are absolutely a member of this community except in the limited scope of this competition.
This. These are the words I wanted. TY
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:20 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I think you all confused "nominate someone" for "force them to play".

My plan was to contact anyone who received a 2nd nom (which I was going to do now for CabD+Pooky)

Since not every player camps active threads, especially some that are very good nominations.

But sure, if the majority of active people here want to do volunteers I will simply send out a mass PM to people I think would be interested and do well and we can go from there. I will wipe the OP and start from that.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:20 pm

Post by Bell »

Popularity contests do make me sad yes.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:22 pm

In post 52, DkKoba wrote:I think you all confused "nominate someone" for "force them to play".

My plan was to contact anyone who received a 2nd nom (which I was going to do now for CabD+Pooky)

Since not every player camps active threads, especially some that are very good nominations.

But sure, if the majority of active people here want to do volunteers I will simply send out a mass PM to people I think would be interested and do well and we can go from there. I will wipe the OP and start from that.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:23 pm

Oops.

I meant to say that I would prefer a new thread made by the Mod Team with a Sticky on it.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:25 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 52, DkKoba wrote:I think you all confused "nominate someone" for "force them to play".

Speaking as a regular user (that is, you are free to do whatever you want in the end in terms of PMing people), but I think you ought to really consider taking a step back and letting someone else take point on this, especially since volunteers wasn't even a part of the process you originally favored and especially because I think there is going to be a concern that "people you think will be interested" is not a comprehensive list.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:25 pm

Post by Bell »

Veto Koba pool picking.
Why am I here again. I’m starting to feel like I’m shit stirring.

*puts on philosophy hat*
The only moral way to do this is for Kona as a private citizen of the universe to go out there and just PM people representing themselves as a private citizen.
I guess. And if someone else wants to join they can post here and ask since you know the candidate pool idea is also awkward.
…is that dumb?
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:27 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 55, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:Oops.

I meant to say that I would prefer a new thread made by the Mod Team with a Sticky on it.
Why?
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:28 pm

Post by Bell »

I really think I should stop speaking and think more before speaking. I’m being a half-asser.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:29 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 48, Bell wrote:I just want whoever participates to have fun and wants to be there. *points at Andante*
That person looks like they have both.

So like. +1 Andante.
+1N_M as a joke.
I'm not joking about N_M. I think he'd be a great rep if he wants to do it.

I was a little bothered about the way the nomination of N_M was dismissed.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:29 pm

In post 58, DkKoba wrote:

Why?
Because the Mod Team isn't going to be playing, has the official capacity to mail people and have authority and weight behind it without any ethics issues and because they're the ones in the end who have to submit the nominations to MU anyway so I think having them organize the thing sounds like a very good plan.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:29 pm

In post 60, fferyllt wrote:
In post 48, Bell wrote:I just want whoever participates to have fun and wants to be there. *points at Andante*
That person looks like they have both.

So like. +1 Andante.
+1N_M as a joke.
I'm not joking about N_M. I think he'd be a great rep if he wants to do it.

I was a little bothered about the way the nomination of N_M was dismissed.
Same.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:30 pm

Post by fferyllt »

I think Prism would also be a great rep.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:30 pm

Post by Bell »

Why?
Representation. It’s a culture thing.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:31 pm

In post 63, fferyllt wrote:I think Prism would also be a great rep.
Prism declined interest, but I agree.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:32 pm

Post by Bell »

I meant joke as in teasing them. Not joke as in “haha N_M sucks”

I wanna make it very clear that my intention was not to mess with you Koba.
I just think it sounds cool. But that, you know, you shouldn’t run the whole thing, not because you aren’t capable of it, but because it isn’t appropriate you are a player here and you do bring yourself here, it’s very much not “this one is an outsider” so much as “this person is one person who wants to manage representative selection when, you know, they are a member but not a representative” just like one American does not represent murica’

I hope I didn’t step on your feet here.
Last edited by Bell on Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:35 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 61, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:

Why?
Because the Mod Team isn't going to be playing, has the official capacity to mail people and have authority and weight behind it without any ethics issues and because they're the ones in the end who have to submit the nominations to MU anyway so I think having them organize the thing sounds like a very good plan.
I told mods explicitly that I would help organize so they would not have extra work in organizing this, so you should frankly not offload this work to mods just because I am trying to make decisions.
retired
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:39 pm

In post 67, DkKoba wrote:
In post 61, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:

Why?
I told mods explicitly that I would help organize so they would not have extra work in organizing this, so you should frankly not offload this work to mods
just because I am trying to make decisions.
Yeah this is the problem part, and I'm not really comfortable with this idea that this is offloading. Or that you did this just so the mods don't have to do extra work.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:41 pm

Post by Bell »

Makes sense to me, it’s along similar lines as to why I deleted my post about mentioning mods as maybe a better plan because of that exact same line of thinking.

This is very much a what is right versus what is convenient thingy.
Maybe.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:43 pm

Post by AniX »

The decision of the mods to take a hands-off approach was not a resource issue so much as it was a policy determination that we were and are uncomfortable with having too great a hand in the decision-making process here. I am speaking as a mod but not FOR the mod team when I say that if people feel a separate, more formal thread would help facilitate the process rather than hinder it, I don't think that would be objectionable.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:44 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I do not see why you are so against me, when this is simply clerical work and organizing info into 1 place and updating a thread.

I am not someone who is immune to input, as I've already even updated the OP to reflect the requested self nom system(something I feel was something you pushed for your own self interest due to your self nom being inserted and nobody nominating you) - But At the end of the day I am not choosing who goes, I am definitely offering my input and discussion however and you will not silence me as an active player.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:45 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 70, AniX wrote:The decision of the mods to take a hands-off approach was not a resource issue so much as it was a policy determination that we were and are uncomfortable with having too great a hand in the decision-making process here. I am speaking as a mod but not FOR the mod team when I say that if people feel a separate, more formal thread would help facilitate the process rather than hinder it, I don't think that would be objectionable.
There is 1 loud user asking for this, I personally feel I am active enough where I can update things and send stuff out in time, but if more agree with that sentiment I'm going hands off with organization fully so there are no complaints. I won't be silencing my input, however.
retired
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:45 pm

Post by Bell »

The mods are skittles, they represent all the colors of the rainbow. (I’m talking out of my hat).
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:48 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I'm going to consider anyone who has received an Nth or nom in the thread as an Nth for anyone who volunteers if no one is opposed to that, since it doesn't make sense to have to re nth them.
retired
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:49 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

im unable to play mafia on other websites because I would forget to log in

also NM is awesome and should totally rep us cuz if he tries the dude is unstoppable

plus he has that cool new hammer art
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee

Return to “Mafia Discussion”