Mafia Universe Championships - Let's enter this year

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Mafia Universe Championships - Let's enter this year

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:32 am

Post by DkKoba »

Spoiler: original OP:
Hi!

I'm making this post so I can get the attention of MS admins mainly, but I was looking to push to have Mafiascum participate once again, as I feel that the competition has evolved further from what it was when the support was pulled.

I won't be linking anything due to site rules, but basically another website hosts a yearly competition where mafia communities send 2 representatives, 1 main player and 1 backup, in order to compete over the course of several games.

I have heard over on MU that people tell us that our community's towngame is overall weak, I would like to prove them wrong. Also it would help bring awareness to our community and the niche we provide as no other site has had what we have in terms of flexible posting in games due to the longer deadlines as well as a defined system for balanced closed games.

This is me asking the admin team to A-OK myself facilitating our representation on MU as I am very familiar with the website and its community and how the competition works, having 2 players from my original community, Epicmafia, both be finalists.

Here are some players I would like to preliminarily nominate: MariaR(due to familiarlity with deadlines and their overall play I have seen there, I understand if their lack of participation on this site may be disqualifying for some), CabD, Pookythemagicalbear.

I think these 4, and yes I included myself, primarily due to my own familiarity with the shorter deadlines and ability to participate, are good candidates.

Nominations are typically required by mid-April so yeah :)

Current system: Volunteer, with an Nth

Current nominations with nths:
Not_Mafia
Andante

Current self-nominations awaiting nths:
LLD
Last edited by DkKoba on Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:38 am

Post by DkKoba »

The setup this year is Mountainous 15p, 3v12, which is meta for mountainous on that website.

So keep this in mind.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:32 am

Post by Ircher »

Maybe you should pm zoraster about this directly. I think you would get a faster response that way.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:58 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 2, Ircher wrote:Maybe you should pm zoraster about this directly. I think you would get a faster response that way.
this is something I have, in fact, attempted.
retired
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:00 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I am just asking for the bare minimum to acknowledge something the community might like and give permission because that is legitimately that *only* barrier to this.

I figured making it public would lead to a more likely response such as has been common in the past with other things.
retired
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:38 am

Post by Menalque »

this is a cool idea, Koba

what are the in-game deadlines like?
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:00 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 5, Menalque wrote:this is a cool idea, Koba

what are the in-game deadlines like?
36/12
48/24
72/24

Are qualifier deadlines

I think semis and finals are 72/24

All in hours
retired
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:46 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 0, DkKoba wrote:I have heard over on MU that people tell us that our community's towngame is overall wea
imagine caring about what some rando on the internet thinks.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:47 pm

Post by Ythan »

Go team.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:45 pm

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

I was in the Finals 2 years ago, am I allowed to even play again?
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:46 pm

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

Was it 2 or 3 years now, actually, I forget.

Doesn't matter, same question.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:54 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I think Cabd or Pooky would probably be good representatives for us out of the initial suggestions
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:51 am

Post by Prism »

Uninterested.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:52 am

Post by Prism »

Oh, and I nominate Not_Mafia.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:54 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 13, Prism wrote:Oh, and I nominate Not_Mafia.
You could have just left it at "uninterested".
retired
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:17 am

Post by Prism »

He's a better player than me. Feel free to disagree, but my nomination stands. I won't get into the gutter with you.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:28 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 15, Prism wrote:He's a better player than me. Feel free to disagree, but my nomination stands. I won't get into the gutter with you.
Please do not post in this thread if your intent is to be toxic. It is clear you are using subtle sarcasm and snark to pretend plausible deniabllty.
I know you have issues with holding grudges for >5 years but do not bring this into a thread about the site as a whole where objectivity is asked for.

There is no way you think NM, despite being a fun player to play with - is a good fit for a competition like this and it is immature of you to maintain this.

Thank you.
retired
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:36 am

Post by Menalque »

I think Prism is being sincere fwiw, and N_M is actually really very good if trying

Cabd and pooky would both make sense, so would notty, skitter, and nsg if they were interested. Alyssa too if she’s playing again
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:37 am

Post by Prism »

My response to this thread would have been the same were it from any player onsite. I will not debate this further.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:46 am

Post by DkKoba »

In post 17, Menalque wrote:I think Prism is being sincere fwiw, and N_M is actually really very good if trying

Cabd and pooky would both make sense, so would notty, skitter, and nsg if they were interested. Alyssa too if she’s playing again
This is where i state i also factored in scumplay and scheduling with those excluded names too- but i forgot about alyssa honestly.

Nsg and skitter i dont think would be able to keep up due to how the deadlines are structured - and thats fine thats why they play on here. If they state they have the ability to play thats fine but the backup needs to be 100% someome who isnt at risk of flaking.

I'm surprised people are not thinking MariaR is a good pick - i can link some of her MU games if we get a greenlight. One thing is she has experience with many players who are finalist contenders, and winning *against* them - an important asset.

But yeah - this is not only about townplay even though it is plausible to get a 100% town rand and it not mattering, remember to factor in the other side, players get judged on individual performance.

Spoiler: NM thing
My apologies, I know NM is also good but also from my point of view it looked very much like a mocking tone to insult the competition as well.
Last edited by DkKoba on Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
retired
joqiza
joqiza
Goon
joqiza
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:11 am

Post by joqiza »

In post 9, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:I was in the Finals 2 years ago, am I allowed to even play again?
Ya I think so. Koba can correct me if I'm wrong but I think there have been some entrants who played in multiple seasons.

Hope you guys do end up sending someone it's a fun event!
joqiza
joqiza
Goon
joqiza
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:16 am

Post by joqiza »

Actually just checked and it looks like anyone's eligible except for:

- Season 8 finalists
- Anyone going to rep/backup for another community
- Anyone currently banned
- Champs organizers

according to their general thread
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/them

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:51 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

My 2 cents, which I think you've already said but I want to highlight, is that whoever is chosen really does need to have experience with these kinds of short deadlines. I know that, at least personally, I had a really hard time trying to keep up with 48 hour days and I probably had more free time than a full-time working adult when I was in the game.
I prefer they, thanks :)
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:05 am

Post by skitter30 »

In post 19, DkKoba wrote:Nsg and skitter i dont think would be able to keep up due - and thats fine thats why they play on here.
^
Show
Hiatus once more.

'skitter is fucking terrifying' ~ town-bork about scum-me

'Skitter [was] terrifying to play against ngl' ~ scum-bork about town-me

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

'Skitter you're a spirit animal's spirit animal' ~ slaxx
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:31 am

Post by DkKoba »

I don't think anyone was nominating me at this point but I am going to be representing a different community this year and thus am removing myself from the running as well - however if anyone needs any tips on MU culture or any meta on any players in their games they may consult me if we do get to go :)
retired

Return to “Mafia Discussion”