Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:29 am

Post by Vi »

You are the
Bomb Squad Recruit.
Explosives are fun, stopping murder is morally right, and so you can use the supplies you "acquire" at the office to become a
n
hero! :D

Each night, you may target someone (yourself included) and go to their house. Doing so will let you learn if anyone else went to that house - in other words, if anyone targeted your target. If you get a positive result, you will be told everyone who targeted your target. You may then choose to flee the house or attempt to set up a time bomb. Of course, you're not actually going to blow up the house; it's just a threat... but you can't seem to keep track of which wire to cut for each bomb to defuse it! If you set up the bomb, the Moderator will PM you back with the option to cut the red wire or the blue wire. (The Moderator will decide which wire is "correct" randomly.) If you cut the correct wire, you will block all actions that would have been performed on your target. If you cut the incorrect wire, you, your target, and everyone who targeted your target that night will die.

You are, of course, allied to the Town and win with them.
In case it's not clear, this role is a Watcher that can take a gamble based on who is doing the Night Action to either block the action or cause a nasty multikill that night.

Actually, this might be better if the Bomb Squad Recruit didn't kill himself on a failed block attempt. I'm not sure.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:29 am

Post by Korts »

EDIT: I've made a seperate thread for this, it probably doesn't exactly belong here (yet).
scumchat never die
flashstorm
flashstorm
Goon
flashstorm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:45 pm

Post by flashstorm »

You are an
Overprotective Vig
. During the pregame, you will send me a list of X players currently playing in the game. Also, each night, you must send me a name not on that list, and you must tell me if you want to kill that player or not. If any player on the list you sent is nightkilled that night, you will kill the player you choose despite if you wanted to or not. Otherwise, you will not kill if you choose not to. You win with the town.
Tombolo
Tombolo
Goon
Tombolo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Post by Tombolo »

thinktank wrote:You are
Tank Townie
. If you would be killed by a night ability, negate that kill, and the person initiating it is killed instead. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.
I just did something kinda like this as an SK variant. My version automatically did this instead of his NK choice where applicable, but it only worked once a night.
##NL imo
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:59 pm

Post by Korts »

Why play mafia at all when you have a Tank Townie around? This role would be very hard to lose with.
scumchat never die
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:23 am

Post by kuribo »

Yosarian2 wrote:You are a DNA TESTING COP.

Each night, you can either examine a murder scene to attempt to find DNA evidence of the killer, or you can attempt to get a DNA sample off a person in the town to see if it matches up with any of the murders you have a record of.

For example, if Seol dies night 1, then on night 2 you can investigate his body to get a DNA sample of his killer. Night 3, you can either investigate someone who's alive (and you will either get a result of "The killer of Seol" or "Not the killer of Seol"), or you can investigate the murder scene of someone who was killed on night 2.

You win with the town.
That should totally become a standard role.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:17 pm

Post by PokerFace »

NEW
Decoy (Weak Bodyguard)
- at night you may target any one player. If that player chooses to kill someone, then you will become their target and die. If your target is selected to be nked by one or more killers, only you will die instead. You win with the town. Go lynch the scum!
Modnotes - A weak doc dies if it protects scum and succeeds in protecting its target otherwise. It learns if its target is scum and protects them. This role works along simular principles except it is more like a bodyguard who will die pending on its target killing or being killed.

I see a weak doc as as more investigative then protective and this role i see as much more protective since it stops outgoing and ingoing kills while being able to guard goons the don't send kills without harm. Vigs will hit you too.

Revised
Bladesmith (Knife Finder)
- at night you may target any one player. You will learn if that player has a knife. You win with the town.
Modnotes - gets reading of knife on SK's, Caterers (chefs), and Docs only. The role works simular to Gunsmiths that can get gun on Mafia, Vig, and sometimes cop.

Sidekick ("Role" Finder)
- When the game starts choose one of the following town-aligned power roles:
"Cop, Doc, Vig, Role Blocker, etc"
At night you may check one target player and see if they are the town-aligned power role you have chosen to search for. You win with the town. Go lynch the scum!
Modnotes - To add dimension to the role you may add roles that aren't in the setup to the role choice list. You can also mess with its sanity if you wanted to turn this into a worst role. You can also add the condition that should the sidekick die, all players will learn what it chose to search for.

Should the user pick a role in the setup, the user can now effectivly help that player defend from lynches. Should they pick Cop and find a cop, they will know to look for bread crumbs from that player and to support their suspicions during the game. The role effectivly can only learn one innocent on there pre-chosen search target.

You could make certain variants of this role like "Cop Finder" suspifically if you wanted to auto-determine what they search for, based on game balance. And should the mafia then later on kill the "Cop" Finder, they will now have depth to try and find the cop based on who the finder buddied up to. So esentially the cop finder would be almost a guard to a king in AITP. And should the finder have not found the cop or there isn't a cop in the setup, now the mafia will be sent on a bastardize chase for the cop.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:31 am

Post by PokerFace »

Expert Witness
- Matlock, Perry Mason, My cousin Vinny, they all ocasionally had one that would tip things in another players favor and get another person charged with murder. Once during the game you may use the following skill during twighlight only. You will change the days lynch target to someone else of your choosing. That's right, you will have full authority over who gets lynched instead of someone else. BUT there is a catch. The person you choose must have a different alignment then the person really getting lynched. You can not use this skill to save yourself, and the rest of the town will be told you are the one who changed the lynch target. They will not be told what role or alignment you have when the skill is used. You win with the town. Go lynch the scum!
Modnotes - This skill can win the game for the town, should the scum quick lynch a townie and begin to brag before the mod calls it game over. However it is possible for you to take a mafioso that is being lynched and substitute them with an inocent townie. Let's see them try explaining that one during the next day!

Bribed Witness
- You are scum with ______. You love money. Money is good. And you therefore have the power to save one of your scum buddies from being lynched and instead get any other player not in your faction lynched. You can only use this skill once during twighlight. You can not use this skill to save yourself, and the rest of the town will be told you are the one who changed the lynch target. They will not be told what role or alignment you have when the skill is used. You win with your scum faction when you obtain majority over the town or when nothing can be done to prevent this. Kick some ass!
Modnotes - This skill can seal the deal and win the game for the scum, should they bus, and their scum buddy admits to being scum followed by a self vote or hammer. However should they spare their scum buddy outside of lylo, I forsee both of them getting lynched over the next couple of days. Let's see if they can possibly avoid that.

I wonder how these roles would play out in a situation involving multiple scum groups. I forsee some level of choas evolving from one mafioso getting switched with one from an entirely different scum group. Both a bribed and expert witness could do that.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Tekkactus
Tekkactus
Goon
Tekkactus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:26 am

Post by Tekkactus »

What would happen if the Expert Witness attempted to shift the lynch from one townie to another? Would the action fail?
"Witty quote."
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:08 am

Post by PokerFace »

Yes, it would fail. I designed it like that on purpose simply so the "However" parts of my mod notes would be possible. They are two roles with big pay offs that can screw you over during the next day should you spare a mafioso and lynch a townie instead. They're basically the govenor role with a bus driver and cop twist.
flashstorm
flashstorm
Goon
flashstorm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:51 am

Post by flashstorm »

You are the
Hacker
. Each night, you may pm the mod the name of any player, and you will recieve information from the Mod about that player's internet surfing habits. However, because you're always up so late on the computer, you often sleep in and always miss the beginning of the day. Thus, if you post before there have been 50 posts in a day, you will be modkilled.

You win with the town.
Modnotes: Divide townies into two groups. Group 1 Townies and cops have similar surfing habits, being general interest sites and Youtube. Group 2 Townies and Goons also have similar surfing habits, in that they like violent websites. Masons and roleblockers are fans of social websites. SKs and GF's don't surf. Insert additional roles as needed.

You are the
Digital Crime Unit Worker
. Lucky you, you are a member of the Mafia who has infiltrated the Digital Crime Unit, and can use your wieseled power for the good of your faction. Your parters are : _____________.

You know there is a hacker among your midsts. Each night you may investigate, or confinscate another player's computer. If you choose to research, you will recieve a clue about the identity of the Hacker. If you choose to confinscate a computer, you will send the name of a currently alive player and will be told if that player was the Hacker or not. If you catch the Hacker, he will be unable to use his hacking ability anymore. Once you catch the Hacker, or the Hacker dies, you will be fired and downgraded to a Mafia Goon.

You win when the town is dead, or nothing can prevent this from occuring.
Modnotes: Players who have had their computer confinscated will give a result of "No surfing habits" to the Hacker. If the Hacker is caught, he is sent a PM informing him that his computer was confinscated and thus is now no more than a Vanilla Townie. However, he's still used to his posting habits and thus must still wait for the 50 posts. Clues given should be vague, but still slightly informative.
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:21 am

Post by Twomz »

You are the
Mafia Sabotager
. Each night you do not preform the kill you may send me the name of a player. You will sabotage that players ability if they have one. For example you will plant fake evidence at the scene if you target the cop, switching the result of their investigation; you will switch the medication in the doctors needles, making them kill their patient; you will put blank rounds in a vigilantes gun making their target run away and hide (roleblock) rather than kill them. Your role has no effect on townies. You win with your partners <Bob> and <Billy Bob> when you equal or exceed the number of nonmafia players in the game.

You are
Rambo
. You are aligned with the town. On one night of your choosing in the game, you may send me a list with any number of players on it and they will all die (unless protected or whatever). The town loses if you are the last player alive. And if you kill more protown players than scum, you commit suicide.
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:35 am

Post by PokerFace »

PokerFace wrote:Yes, it would fail. I designed it like that on purpose simply so the "However" parts of my mod notes would be possible. They are two roles with big pay offs that can screw you over during the next day should you spare a mafioso and lynch a townie instead. They're basically the govenor role with a bus driver and cop twist.
My original design of the role should include some more description to get my point across better

Revisions

PokerFace wrote:
Expert Witness
- Matlock, Perry Mason, My cousin Vinny, they all ocasionally had one that would tip things in another players favor and get another person charged with murder.
You can only use the following skill during twighlight. Once you Sucessfully switch a lynch, you will loose this skill completly and be unable to switch another lynch ever again.
You will change the days lynch target to someone else of your choosing. That's right, you will have full authority over who gets lynched instead of someone else. BUT there is a catch. The person you choose must have a different alignment then the person really getting lynched. You can not use this skill to save yourself, and the rest of the town will be told you are the one who changed the lynch target. They will not be told what role or alignment you have when the skill is used. You win with the town. Go lynch the scum!
Modnotes - This skill can win the game for the town, should the scum quick lynch a townie and begin to brag before the mod calls it game over. However it is possible for you to take a mafioso that is being lynched and substitute them with an inocent townie. Let's see them try explaining that one during the next day!

Bribed Witness
- You are scum with ______. You love money. Money is good. And you therefore have the power to save one of your scum buddies from being lynched and instead get any other player not in your faction lynched.
You can only use the following skill during twighlight. Once you Sucessfully switch a lynch, you will loose this skill completly and be unable to switch another lynch ever again.
You can not use this skill to save yourself, and the rest of the town will be told you are the one who changed the lynch target. They will not be told what role or alignment you have when the skill is used. You win with your scum faction when you obtain majority over the town or when nothing can be done to prevent this. Kick some ass!
Modnotes - This skill can seal the deal and win the game for the scum, should they bus, and their scum buddy admits to being scum followed by a self vote or hammer. However should they spare their scum buddy outside of lylo, I forsee both of them getting lynched over the next couple of days. Let's see if they can possibly avoid that.

I wonder how these roles would play out in a situation involving multiple scum groups. I forsee some level of choas evolving from one mafioso getting switched with one from an entirely different scum group. Both a bribed and expert witness could do that.
Read the underlined additions for they do fully what I intend for them to do now. And the expert witness kicks more ass powerwise for the town. Yet the chance you'll switch a scum with a townie will increase the more times you try the skill. Perhaps its too powerful so maybe one shot is more desired, but it is more choatic like this.
flashstorm
flashstorm
Goon
flashstorm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:44 am

Post by flashstorm »

Twomz wrote:You are
Rambo
. You are aligned with the town. On one night of your choosing in the game, you may send me a list with any number of players on it and they will all die (unless protected or whatever). The town loses if you are the last player alive. And if you kill more protown players than scum, you commit suicide.
This fails. Assuming a large game, the Rambo player simply picks the towniest player after day 1, and kills everyone but that person and him/herself. Statistically, he has a much better chance of keeping a townie anyway, and this result gets skewed in favor of the town anyway based on town 1 play.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:19 am

Post by PokerFace »

Let's Mess with Trackers and Watchers time!

We know how these roles become new roles when their predecessors go down.
Deputy (or Retired Cop)
- Should there be a cop in play and they die, you will become a cop and be able to investigate one person each night learning if they are mafia.
Nurse
- Should there be a doc in play and they die, you will become a doc and be able to protect one person each night from dieing to 1 kill.
Miller
- Will show up as guilty or scum to all Cop investigations
But Consider these:

Peeping Tom
- Should there be a watcher in play and they die, you will become a watcher and be able to watch one person each night learning who targets them.
Patsy
- Should there be a tracker in play and they die, you will become a watcher and be able to track one person each night learning who targets them
Grave Digger
- Miller Variant that will be seen as targeting any and all players that died during the previous night, by trackers and watchers.
And now some Mafia aligned Roles:

Mafia Undertaker
- Framer Variant that can makes it look like his target killed each player that died last night. He can choose any player each night.
Mafia Ninja
- Mafia Goon who can't be seen by trackers or watchers whenever he kills or somehow uses another action.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:32 am

Post by PokerFace »

Now let's mess with the sanity of Trackers and Watchers!

A Tracker or Watcher that always gets a No Result is Blind or
Naive Tracker or Watcher

A Tracker or Watcher that saw a random result would be
Random Trackers or Watchers

A Tracker that sees
people that performed actions last night
target no one
AND see people that did not perform actions last night
target random people, would be an
Insane Tracker

A Watcher that sees
everyone that didn't use an action last night
target their watchee would be an
Insane Watcher

Tracker that always gets their trackee going to each player that died last night would be
Paranoid Tracker
. If nobody dies the paranoid tracker sees his trackee targetting the paranoid tracker.

Watcher that always gets everyone as going to their target would be
Paranoid Watcher
pacman281292
pacman281292
Mafia Scum
pacman281292
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:44 am

Post by pacman281292 »

PokerFace wrote:
Now let's mess with the sanity of Trackers and Watchers!

A Tracker or Watcher that always gets a No Result is Blind or
Naive Tracker or Watcher

A Tracker or Watcher that saw a random result would be
Random Trackers or Watchers

A Tracker that sees
people that performed actions last night
target no one
AND see people that did not perform actions last night
target random people, would be an
Insane Tracker

A Watcher that sees
everyone that didn't use an action last night
target their watchee would be an
Insane Watcher

Tracker that always gets their trackee going to each player that died last night would be
Paranoid Tracker
. If nobody dies the paranoid tracker sees his trackee targetting the paranoid tracker.

Watcher that always gets everyone as going to their target would be
Paranoid Watcher
Random Watcher-Tracker is a really bad role. And confusing. The screwed-up trackers are good, but the screwed-up watchers will find out easily their sanity.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:03 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Hypatia
Hypatia
Goon
Hypatia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:55 am

Post by Hypatia »

1. You are the
Mafia Bloodsucker
. Each night you may target a player to weaken them. During the following day, it will take two less votes to lynch them. They will heal during the night and return to their full strength by the following day.

2. You are the
Mafia Bloodsucker
. Each night you may target a player to weaken them. During the following day, it will take one less vote to lynch them. This effect is permanent {or: this effect is permanent while you are alive}. You may target a player more than once.

3. You are the
Leech Doctor
. Each night you may target a player to attach your leeches to them. If they are attacked by a killer, they will be saved by the power of leeches. Unfortunately they will be weak from bloodloss the next day, and will require two fewer votes to lynch than they normally would. Fortunately they will heal those two votes during the next night and return to normal. However, if you target them the next night, you will interfere with their healing process and they will be down a total of four votes, and so on.
dahill1
dahill1
bagel
dahill1
bagel
bagel

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:21 am

Post by dahill1 »

Hypatia wrote:3. You are the
Leech Doctor
. Each night you may target a player to attach your leeches to them. If they are attacked by a killer, they will be saved by the power of leeches. Unfortunately they will be weak from bloodloss the next day, and will require two fewer votes to lynch than they normally would. Fortunately they will heal those two votes during the next night and return to normal. However, if you target them the next night, you will interfere with their healing process and they will be down a total of four votes, and so on.
i like this one except i think it should only be 1 less vote, and that they aren't cumulative
Tomato
Tomato
Goon
Tomato
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:31 pm

Post by Tomato »

Those roles are ridiculously broken. Why not just give scum a triple voter...
MafiascumZuFaul (11:27:19 PM): what is the difference between chuck norris and god?
weedragonaut (11:27:39 PM): one is an overused meme on the internet and the other is an overused meme in real life?
Hypatia
Hypatia
Goon
Hypatia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:26 am

Post by Hypatia »

Tomato wrote:Those roles are ridiculously broken. Why not just give scum a triple voter...
Well why not? Although a double voter would probably be better--after all the Politician or vote-stealer is not a new role. I'm definitely in favor of breaking the "DV=Townie" meta.

I'm not saying they aren't powerful and wouldn't have to be carefully balanced.
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:26 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

You are the
Night Kill Immune Hated Miller Survivor.

You take 1 less vote to lynch, show up as guilty to investigations, are immune to night kills (hurr durr durr), and win when the game ends and you're still alive.

If you wanna spice this up put this role in a Dethy-type game.
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:14 pm

Post by SensFan »

Alduskkel wrote:You are the
Night Kill Immune Hated Miller Survivor.

You take 1 less vote to lynch, show up as guilty to investigations, are immune to night kills (hurr durr durr), and win when the game ends and you're still alive.

If you wanna spice this up put this role in a Dethy-type game.
I believe you are looking for this thread.
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
Alduskkel
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Alduskkel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Post by Alduskkel »

What's wrong with it?
CLICK HERE FOR THE ALDUSKKEL APPRECIATION PAGE
"i've only known aldus for four and a half months but if anything happened to him i would kill everyone in this room and then myself" -Datisi, March 28 2020

Return to “Mafia Discussion”