Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:25 pm

Post by SensFan »

It loses. I would estimate a 5% chance of that player EVER winning.

edit: To clarify, they need to claim Hated or be lynched prematurely at some point. When they claim Hated, they will be lynched or investigated. On top of that, if a Vig ever targets to kill them, they lose.
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
MBPikamon
MBPikamon
Goon
MBPikamon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:30 pm

Post by MBPikamon »

Fake Mod wrote:
Bob

You are rather common place. In fact, you are so common, people can't tell you apart from others! You are not quite sure if that is good or bad though.

You win when nothing threatens the town.
Mod Note-Only lynches and cop/rolecop investigations work, the rest are redirected randomly to possible targets. They can be redirected back to Bob however. Anything that would affect cop investigations would go through as well.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:55 am

Post by Vi »

Are you sure you didn't miss the other thread as well? If votes->Bob and NKs->Bob get redirected, you have Bob Almighty.
MBPikamon
MBPikamon
Goon
MBPikamon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:26 am

Post by MBPikamon »

Well, to be exact, only Night actions are redirected, and he can still be targeted essentially.
Stats

[b]W/L/T
1/1/0[/b]
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:05 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Hypatia wrote:1. You are the
Mafia Bloodsucker
. Each night you may target a player to weaken them. During the following day, it will take two less votes to lynch them. They will heal during the night and return to their full strength by the following day.

2. You are the
Mafia Bloodsucker
. Each night you may target a player to weaken them. During the following day, it will take one less vote to lynch them. This effect is permanent {or: this effect is permanent while you are alive}. You may target a player more than once.
Problem is that either of those roles means mafia basically auto-wins in lynch or lose.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Cavebear with a toothache
Goon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:33 am

Post by Cavebear with a toothache »

While reading about roles with knowledge of the setup in the Theme Test Market, I thought of this kind-of role cop (doubles as limited fake claim lie detector) variant. Has it been done?

Lazy Psychic Role Diviner

Each night you may ask the mod if a certain role is in the game. The mod responds with how many players with that role, if any, is in the game.
(Variants: start knowing the number of townies/goons/a free question or two; mod provides a (large) list of possible roles to ask about.)
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:44 am

Post by PokerFace »

When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

You are the
abductor

Every night you may PM me the name of a player to abduct. They will be removed from the game (unable to post, vote, any role nullified and will not count for parity) but not killed or alignment revealed,
or
, PM me the name of one player who you have already abducted that will be killed that night and show as killed by you the next daybreak.

If you are ever killed, all of the living players you abducted escape and all return to the game able to vote, post and use any roles as normal.

You win when you are the only remaining player, or nothing can prevent the same from happening.
This is a mix of (visable) Cult recruiter and SK, where the abductor tries to eliminate all the players by taking them out of the game, but not killing them unless they feel it is necessary.

Mafia and town roles can be abducted alike, which opens the game up to more WIFOM of "no kill", but I feel that a vig should be included in this game given how the abductor role works.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:47 am

Post by rolandofthewhite »

I have that on my role list as a Kidnapper, LF. I think the only difference was that the game still continued, but on a smaller level, for those who were kidnapped. They could still choose to lynch by submitting votes for their fellow abductees via PM, and after a lynch (or no lynch), roles could still perform their night choices.
Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos.
Cybele
Cybele
Goon
Cybele
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:57 am

Post by Cybele »

Weep not for me, for I am dead.
Last edited by Cybele on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

rolandofthewhite wrote:I have that on my role list as a Kidnapper, LF. I think the only difference was that the game still continued, but on a smaller level, for those who were kidnapped. They could still choose to lynch by submitting votes for their fellow abductees via PM, and after a lynch (or no lynch), roles could still perform their night choices.
I think the most that should be allowed there is a QT forum for all of them to use
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:30 am

Post by PokerFace »

A Jester with a twist that can actually help the Town or Scum pending who hammers it.
Political Lobbyist
- If you are night killed or if you survive to the end of the game, you loose. You win if you are lynched during the day. You can not self hammer. When you are lynched the game will not end or go directly to night. Insted the next night phase will be skipped and things will proceed directly to the next day. During this next day, the player that hammered you will be King for that day. They will have full decision on who is lynched that day. Not like it will really matter to you since you'll already have won the game for yourself. You can pretty much just sitback, relax, and enjoy the show at that point.
Mod Notes - Lynch the Jester and you get a prize.

To add some zing to the role you could have the Jester's win condition not just based on having them get lynched. You could make some other requirement hindging on the Hammer Droppers further actions or alignment.

Edit: Version 2. Now we have some zing that will actually make things a little dificult for the Jester and any dumb players since it is sometimes rather easy to lynch a Jester
Political Lobbyist
- If you are night killed or if you survive to the end of the game, you loose. You win if you are lynched during the day. You can not self vote or claim your role ever. Should someone call or speculate that you are a Jester before you are lynched, it will take one less vote to lynch them that day. When you are lynched the game will not end or go directly to night. Instead the next night phase will be skipped and things will proceed directly to the next day. During this next day, the player that hammered you will be King for that day. They will have full decision on who is lynched that day. Not like it will really matter to you since you'll already have won the game for yourself. You can pretty much just sitback, relax, and enjoy the show at that point.
Mod Notes - Lynch the Jester and you get a prize.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:40 am

Post by popsofctown »

Here is my idea. It might already exist, or might be stupid, but oh well. I think it's simple enough to include in small games.
It is actually pretty simple, it sounds kind of complicated but a lot of it is from the flavor.
Mafia orphan
You were raised by adopted parents who found you on the street when you were two. They raised you as if you were their own, but they were always disturbed by the tattoo on your back. It depicts a man's body with the legs totally gone, and every other finger cut off. You also have another tattoo, that depicts a family of X members in silhouettes, one of them is clearly you but the rest are indistinguishable.
When [example murder victim] was murdered, his body was found with no legs and every other finger cut off! The news release says the authorities are certain the murder was the result of organized crime. That means surely you must be a long-lost son of a mafia member.
You are allied with the mafia. You do
not
have the usual mafia power of murder. You win when all people in town are dead except for players allied with the mafia, or when nothing can prevent the same. You do not know who the other mafia allied players are, and they don't know that you are their ally either.
Every night, you choose to either 1) steal a DNA sample or 2) send a letter with a photo of your tattoo.
If you decide to steal a DNA sample, you send the moderator a name of a living player. That person is not informed of this action. The mod will return whether or not that player is a member of your mafia team.
If you decide to send a letter with a photo of your tattoo, you send the name of the letter's recipient to the mod. The mod informs that player that you are a Mafia Orphan. If the letter recipient was a member of your mafia family, all members of the mafia receive the same information, and the mod automatically send back your family's jubilant reply, with all their names signed. They also mail you a gun. You lose your former powers (1 and 2) and become the same exact thing as a mafia goon every night onward.
If the letter recipient was not part of your mafia family, you will receive no reply letter. Note that the player would from then on know you are mafia.
Tracing your genealogy and meeting your family is extremely important to you. If all of your X teammates die, you will immediately commit suicide in grief, and instantly lose.
Last edited by popsofctown on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:41 am

Post by wolframnhart »

I kinda like the orphan idea myself ^_^
They tell you never hit a man with a closed fist, but it is on occasion hilarious. - Malcolm Reynolds

Wolf, I fucking hate your face, but still <3 you as a whole. - Starbuck
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Post by popsofctown »

:) thanks.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
TAX
TAX
Goon
TAX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Post by TAX »

Ashamed Lyncher- You are pro-town. If three people you voted to lynch were innocent you hang yourself.
Moses le fou
Moses le fou
Goon
Moses le fou
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:01 pm

Post by Moses le fou »

Ghost - If and when you die, you will haunt the thread. You won't have a vote (because you're dead), but you will still be able to post.
TAX
TAX
Goon
TAX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:13 am

Post by TAX »

@Moses le fou: Will that be for mafia and townies.
^ I believe Socrates once said that.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:51 am

Post by popsofctown »

that kind of goes against a core part of mafia doesn't it?...
"Well, I..."
wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:45 pm

Post by wolframnhart »

Dunno if this has been tried before but what about:
Town Traitor
you hate the town you live in, and everyone in it. Thank goodness the mafia has come to clean the town up! You really want to join the mafia and help them out, but you have no idea who they are. You do know however that the mafia love to do their killing at night, so there are no witnesses, therefore each night you wait, and if any mafia member targets you, you will kill that mafia member to prove yourself worthy, and take over their position in the mafia! (If a RB targets you to be RB'd you do not get to kill them because that would be blocking your ability. If a goon or a GF targets you however, you kill that person and take over being either a goon or a GF, whichever targets you). If you are targeted by a Cop you come up as innocen, as long as you are town, otherwise you will be guilty (unless you become a GF).
You win if the town is eliminated while you are a mafia member. You lose if you are lynched or are not a mafia at end game.
They tell you never hit a man with a closed fist, but it is on occasion hilarious. - Malcolm Reynolds

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:16 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I think "Traitor" is a term used for a different role, one that is pretty much a townie that wins if the mafia wins. This role sounds ok for closed setups, but i think you need to use an unused name. Maybe "Aspiring Mafiosi" or something like that.
"Well, I..."
wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:30 pm

Post by wolframnhart »

popsofctown wrote:I think "Traitor" is a term used for a different role, one that is pretty much a townie that wins if the mafia wins. This role sounds ok for closed setups, but i think you need to use an unused name. Maybe "Aspiring Mafiosi" or something like that.
Good point, that name might work, anyone else have an idea>

BlakAdder
BlakAdder
Goon
BlakAdder
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:48 pm

Post by BlakAdder »

Just looking at the flavor, something like "Hateful Townie" might work.
Game Record (W-L-T)
Town: 1-2-1
Mafia: 1-2-0
Third-party: 1-0-0
wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Post by wolframnhart »

Maybe even "Radical Townie" or something? But in general does the idea sound kinda cool? Mafia tried to off someone, and THEY are offed instead and the guy takes the others place.

BlakAdder
BlakAdder
Goon
BlakAdder
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:14 am

Post by BlakAdder »

I like the idea. Only thing is it might kinda be a shock to the mafia.
Game Record (W-L-T)
Town: 1-2-1
Mafia: 1-2-0
Third-party: 1-0-0

Return to “Mafia Discussion”