Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

Yosarian2 wrote:
Tekkactus wrote:I can't tell if DNA Cop is more or less powerful than a regular Cop. I think that's a good thing.
Oh, it's a lot weaker. Especally since it can't find all the mafia members, only ones who have made a kill. Which also means the DNA cop can't really ever clear anyone of being in the mafia, so it dosn't generate confirmed innocents the way a regular cop does. Throw in the added confusion of a possible pro-town vig making some of those kills, and the fact that he won't get any results until at least day 3, the DNA cop is one of the weakest "sane and useful" investigative roles I've seen. At least, that was what I was aiming for.

Edit: Yeah, somestrangeflea, you could also tell the DNA cop that "person A and person B were murdered by the same killer"; that would fit from a flavor point of view, and would add another nice level of subtle information gathering. I like it.
How far back can he go to retrieve DNA off a dead person?

Also is it me or is the best strat to get a lot of samples off of dead folk as the game progresses and hope you're alive end-game?
Tekkactus
Tekkactus
Goon
Tekkactus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Post by Tekkactus »

Fuzzyman wrote:
Tekkactus wrote: You are an
Internet Mason
. You may talk you your allies at night, but you do not know their identities. If you reveal your identity online, you will be raped and murdered by an online predator, so don't. PMs can be sent to the Mod.
How would messages be identity-blocked? forced alt creation? speaking on another forum?
The PMs would be sent to the Mod who would forward them to the appropriate people.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:14 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

shaft.ed wrote:How far back can he go to retrieve DNA off a dead person?
Hmm. I had been thinking that you could only get DNA off of someone who died the night before.
Also is it me or is the best strat to get a lot of samples off of dead folk as the game progresses and hope you're alive end-game?
Well, if you sample a lot of people and then start investigating, then yes, your investigations are more effective, but you also get less of them. Also information earlier is more useful then information later, especally if you have to back up your claim. Besides, if you get the DNA sample of a murder on night 2, it dosn't do you any good if that same killer gets lynched later (especally since you won't ever know that).

Basically, I'm not sure; it's a judgement call.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Tarhalindur
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Tarhalindur
Mod Screw
Mod Screw

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:50 pm

Post by Tarhalindur »

The basic form of an idea I've taken a liking to (note: role assumes a modified Deep South setup, as said modified Deep South format is likely to be the format for my future games):
Welcome to Hypothetical Role Mafia,
PLAYERNAME
. You are a
Lyncher Cult Leader
. Each day, as a Cult Leader, you may recruit a player to join your Cult. They will gain the Cult win condition in addition to their original win condition and may talk to you (but NOT other recruits) at any time.
(Special Actions resolve after all other abilities. Some players may be unrecruitable.)

In addition to your abilities as a Cult Leader, you have the following special ability:

Setup Information
- You know that
PLAYERNAME 2
is unrecruitable.

You win when
PLAYERNAME 2
is lynched, or nothing can prevent the same.
(Should the Cult gain a majority and
PLAYERNAME 2
is still alive, he will automatically be lynched and the Cult will win.)

Please confirm via return PM.
Many interesting variations have come to mind.
User out of ambit.

Error 404: Sanity Not Found
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:47 pm

Post by Lord Gurgi »

Also the DNA cop doesn't have the miller or godfather problem.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
BlakAdder
BlakAdder
Goon
BlakAdder
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:03 am

Post by BlakAdder »

Lord Gurgi wrote:Also the DNA cop doesn't have the miller or godfather problem.
Yes, I was thinking about this, but I'd be afraid of accidentally hitting a vigilante.
Game Record (W-L-T)
Town: 1-2-1
Mafia: 1-2-0
Third-party: 1-0-0
Crazy
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Crazy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:30 pm

Post by Crazy »

BlakAdder wrote:
Lord Gurgi wrote:Also the DNA cop doesn't have the miller or godfather problem.
Yes, I was thinking about this, but I'd be afraid of accidentally hitting a vigilante.
Easy way to fix that...

DNA Cop lies and says he's a real cop and has a guilty on "PLAYER" That person is thus forced to claim. If he doesn't claim vig, then he's screwed.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:51 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Bladesmith
- at night you may target any one player. You will learn if that player has a knife. You win with the town.
Modnotes - gets reading of knife on SK's and Doc's only, like how Gunsmiths can get gun on Mafia, Vig, and sometimes cop.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Septia
Septia
Townie
Septia
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:31 pm

Post by Septia »

You are Drew Carry, individual aligned.

Star of Whose Line Is it Anyway, you use your knowledge of the game to help you survive.

Each day, I will give you a challenge (ex. name of an animal). You will then have to get an audience member (forum member) to answer it. Next day, they will act it out (get a post restriction) based on their answer. Role reveal and be modkilled.

Not sure on win conditions and such. Suggestions?
Trojan Horse
Trojan Horse
Oldest Trick in the Book
Trojan Horse
Oldest Trick in the Book
Oldest Trick in the Book

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:14 pm

Post by Trojan Horse »

"I'll decide at the end whether or not you win. Doesn't really matter; it's just a gag to hold the show together."

Oh wait; you wanted a BEST role idea, not a worst role idea. Never mind. :-)
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:32 pm

Post by Seol »

PokerFace wrote:
Bladesmith
- at night you may target any one player. You will learn if that player has a knife. You win with the town.
Modnotes - gets reading of knife on SK's and Doc's only, like how Gunsmiths can get gun on Mafia, Vig, and sometimes cop.
Not on the Chef?
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Seol wrote:
PokerFace wrote:
Bladesmith
Not on the Chef?
I have never heard of a role called Chef. What's it do? As long as it has a kind of knife I guess the bladsmith would find it.

Also I did not make bladesmith up all by myself, I have seen the role elsewhere, but its very rare.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:04 am

Post by Glork »

The Chef is a super-secret role which nobody has yet encountered. Seol is waiting to use it in the most epic mafia game ever.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:21 am

Post by PokerFace »

Sidekick
- When the game starts choose one of the following town power roles: (Cop, Doc, Vig, Role Blocker, etc)
At night you may check one target player and see if they are the town power role you have chosen to search for. You win with the town. Go lynch the scum!
Modnotes - To add dimension to the role you may add roles that aren't in the setup to the role choice list. You can also mess with its sanity if you wanted to turn this into a worst role. You can also add the condition that should the sidekick die, all players will learn what you chose to search for.

Should the user pick a role in the setup, the user can now effectivly help that player defend from lynches. Should they pick Cop and find a cop, they will know to look for bread crumbs from that player and to support their suspicions during the game.

You could make certain variants of this role like "Cop Finder" suspifically. Should the mafia then later on kill the "Cop Finder", they will now have depth to try and find the cop based on who the finder buddied up too. So esentially the cop finder would be almost a guard to a king. And should the finder have not found the cop or there isn't a cop in the setup, now the mafia will be sent on a bastardize chase for the cop.
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:41 am

Post by Twomz »

Once the sidekick finds the role he's looking for he should be able to bodyguard it imo.

Really messed up if the setup is...

1 GF
1 mafia doc
1 mafia role cop
1 mafia roleblocker

1 cop
1 doc
1 trainee (cop finder)
1 intern (doc finder)
1 deputy
1 nurse
2 townie

Deputy doesn't count as cop until A cop dies, and the mafia cop counts as a cop (same with docs/nurses).
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:55 pm

Post by Twomz »

Suicidal Killer

Each night you may kill another player. You win when you are lynched or nightkilled. You do not count as a member of the town for endgame purposes.
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
MafiaMann
MafiaMann
Goon
MafiaMann
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:37 pm

Post by MafiaMann »

Fuzzyman wrote:
Tekkactus wrote: You are an
Internet Mason
. You may talk you your allies at night, but you do not know their identities. If you reveal your identity online, you will be raped and murdered by an online predator, so don't. PMs can be sent to the Mod.
How would messages be identity-blocked? forced alt creation? speaking on another forum?
I assumed messages went through mod
Why don't they pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as well as prohibition did, in five years Americans would be the smartest race of people on Earth.├óÔé¼
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:46 pm

Post by Thok »

Glork wrote:The Chef is a super-secret role which nobody has yet encountered. Seol is waiting to use it in the most epic mafia game ever.
Isn't a chef a variant role cop that is told what sort of food a player likes to eat? (For example, donuts for a cop.)
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

PokerFace wrote:
Sidekick
- When the game starts choose one of the following town power roles: (Cop, Doc, Vig, Role Blocker, etc)
At night you may check one target player and see if they are the town power role you have chosen to search for. You win with the town. Go lynch the scum!
Modnotes - To add dimension to the role you may add roles that aren't in the setup to the role choice list. You can also mess with its sanity if you wanted to turn this into a worst role. You can also add the condition that should the sidekick die, all players will learn what you chose to search for.

Should the user pick a role in the setup, the user can now effectivly help that player defend from lynches. Should they pick Cop and find a cop, they will know to look for bread crumbs from that player and to support their suspicions during the game.

You could make certain variants of this role like "Cop Finder" suspifically. Should the mafia then later on kill the "Cop Finder", they will now have depth to try and find the cop based on who the finder buddied up too. So esentially the cop finder would be almost a guard to a king. And should the finder have not found the cop or there isn't a cop in the setup, now the mafia will be sent on a bastardize chase for the cop.
I like it. It's an interesting information role that dosn't really affect the balance much but that you'd never want to claim.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:21 pm

Post by Adel »

Thok wrote:
Glork wrote:The Chef is a super-secret role which nobody has yet encountered. Seol is waiting to use it in the most epic mafia game ever.
Isn't a chef a variant role cop that is told what sort of food a player likes to eat? (For example, donuts for a cop.)
no, The Chef is a former Funk singer who can be lovers with any other player he wants to be lovers with.
New Coldness
New Coldness
Goon
New Coldness
Goon
Goon

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Post by New Coldness »

On Adel's recommendation:

You are a COP WITH ANTEROGRADE AMNESIA. You have the ability to investigate one other player per night to determine their allegiance (town, SK, Mafia, Cult, whatever), but there's a problem. See, you have this condition. You can't form new memories. You just forget everything that happens to you. So instead of trying to remember your night results, you write them down on little slips of paper.

There's only one problem, though: you keep forgetting where you put the little slips of paper. See, you have this condition. You can't form new memories. So you keep forgetting where you put the papers.

You may investigate one other player per night to determine their allegiance, but you don't get the results. Upon your death, however, the results will be revealed to the rest of the town.

You don't get the results yourself because of this condition that you have. See, you can't form new memories. So you just keep forgetting the results.

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

...have I told you about your condition yet?
As Town: 2-3
As Scum: 1-0
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:15 am

Post by PokerFace »

Momento was an awesome film.

This role I once posted in worst ideas because its way too powerful. Only way it can loose is via mod kill or a superkill that bipasses protection. I felt like a god when I got this role on irc. Had it for 2 nights and then a tracker caught me killing someone. So I had to
win
by getting lynched. Its too powerful!
Rogue Comando Jester (sk):
You win if you are lynched. You are immune to kills. You kill other players at night. You also win when you are in the final two and there are no other killers.
Abilities: kill
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:54 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Argh. It's Memento, folks. Not Momento.

That said, I like the role idea.
Retired as of October 2014.
thinktank
thinktank
Goon
thinktank
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Post by thinktank »

You are
Tank Townie
. If you would be killed by a night ability, negate that kill, and the person initiating it is killed instead. You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.
Armlx: What has he done to make you think he's scum.
Mizzy: Other than not scumhunt, not post much as of late other than jokes and lurk a bit?

Oman: This is known as "doing a thinktank".
rolandofthewhite
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
rolandofthewhite
F. the White!
F. the White!

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:06 am

Post by rolandofthewhite »

^ Seems rather overpowered. All he'd have to do is claim cop and watch the entire Mafia die throwing themselves at him.
Quiero hacer contigo lo que la primavera hace con los cerezos.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”