Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #1000 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:27 am

Post by MattP »

True
SlappyKrust
Leafsnail
Leafsnail
Goon
Leafsnail
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1001 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:54 am

Post by Leafsnail »

In post 999, callforjudgement wrote:I'm of the opinion that it's very hard to be bastard in an Open.

I disagree. Just run a different setup to the one in the OP!
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1002 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 1001, Leafsnail wrote:
In post 999, callforjudgement wrote:I'm of the opinion that it's very hard to be bastard in an Open.

I disagree. Just run a different setup to the one in the OP!

Then it isn't an Open; you just lied when you said it was an Open. (Which is, I agree, pretty bastard.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
orcinus_theoriginal
orcinus_theoriginal
Jack of All Trades
orcinus_theoriginal
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1003 (ISO) » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Post by orcinus_theoriginal »

Hmm.

You are
Adopted

We thought this was the best way to tell you.

You can leave the game now.
We are lazy people on an adventure, flirting with life but too shy to go all the way.
RandomYoshi
RandomYoshi
Goon
RandomYoshi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1004 (ISO) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:59 am

Post by RandomYoshi »

In post 1003, orcinus_theoriginal wrote:Hmm.

You are
Adopted

We thought this was the best way to tell you.

You can leave the game now.

This isn't a good role, though. Imagine that you really want to play a game, but then you get that role PM and are told to leave the game pretty much immediately. That's incredibly unfair. It's a stupid role, and it should never be used, not even in bastard games.
orcinus_theoriginal
orcinus_theoriginal
Jack of All Trades
orcinus_theoriginal
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1005 (ISO) » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:02 am

Post by orcinus_theoriginal »

Oh sorry. I felt this was a great role because the flavor was hilarious. Not really a good game role, no.
We are lazy people on an adventure, flirting with life but too shy to go all the way.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1006 (ISO) » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:41 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Retired as of October 2014.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1007 (ISO) » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:53 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Can we just merge the threads? They're being used for the same purpose anyway. Any new roles which are
actually
good tend to come up in Open Setup Discussion, or in an actual game.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1008 (ISO) » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Nah, the resulting page-shuffle chaos wouldn't be worth it, since they've both been around about the same time.

They're both joke threads anyway... However, editing the first posts with links to the other might not be a bad idea.
Retired as of October 2014.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #1009 (ISO) » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

Just lock one of them/
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Human Destroyer
Human Destroyer
Jack of All Trades
Human Destroyer
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1010 (ISO) » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:49 am

Post by Human Destroyer »

Crazy Bus was a game that admittedly had a couple of flaws (maximum score by driving background, no plot line, bad graphics), it was a game that allowed its players true freedom when they used their imagination (as they should have been taught already by PBS, since no mere child would want to play a Venezuelan Bus Simulator). You could choose several different “crazy” buses, and you could drive wherever you wanted, occasionally warping from one world to the other if you wanted to. The number score had no units because mankind had not created a unit of measurement so immense, so impossible to measure. This crazy bus was crazy fast to those who used their imagination. And the soundtrack reflects this perfectly, taking bits and pieces of the magnificent masterpiece the original song must have been, symbolizing just how fast the Crazy Bus was. Unfortunately, people weren't able to make an imagination investment of that magnitude, and Crazy Bus’s soundtrack was regarded as “Torture Instrument”, “terrible”, “no effort whatsoever”. But, all the recognition to the truly terrible soundtrack has still given it immortality, which is all that is important to the Crazy Bus soundtrack. One day, people will understand it. But in the meantime, it will passed in a passive aggression fashion from child to parent, from employee to employer, from citizen to president. Then one day, perhaps some genius will stumble upon it and be enlightened. Until then, young one, stay terrible.

CRAZY FAST: You just want to drive, man. But occasionally your acceleration gets so fucking quick that you fly around the world and become COMPLETELY INVINCIBLE!! So, PM me the phrase “drive” when you want to begin driving. After you have driven around the world completely, (which takes 72 hours), you will be COMPLETELY INVINCIBLE from all actions for 48 hours. Any actions submitted during your invincible period will not affect you, even if your invincibility wears off before the night phase ends. If you would like to delay your COMPLETELY INVINCIBLE mode, you may pm me “stop driving” whenever you would like and your time will be paused.

I know this is a real role I got in a U-pick but this is still the best role ever
Are you ready for this?
saulres
saulres
Mafia Scum
saulres
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1011 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:32 am

Post by saulres »

You are a
"One-Shot" Remover

Each night you may submit a target. If that target has an X-shot ability, you remove one of their shots (so they become an X-1-shot). If they use their ability on the same night you target them, this ability resolves before they attempt their shot, so if they're a 1-shot they lose it completely. However if they're a 1+-shot then their action goes off as normal, they just have one fewer to use in the future. They will not be made aware of this loss, and you will not be made aware if your attempt was successful.
"SAULRES you are THE man! Fav mod eva, no contest!" - Bert; "Saulres is a fantastic mod, if he is running a game everyone needs to join it." - FuDuzn
Nominated for Paperback Writer Scummie 2013 and 2014!
On permanent
V/LA
Friday afternoons through Saturday nights.
Amb
Amb
Goon
Amb
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1012 (ISO) » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Post by Amb »

Dear _________, you are the human target. You win alone. You win, if all remaining power roles target you simultaneously at night. In the event that no power roles remain alive, and you are still alive - you also win.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1013 (ISO) » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:46 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 1012, Amb wrote:Dear _________, you are the human target. You win alone. You win, if all remaining power roles target you simultaneously at night. In the event that no power roles remain alive, and you are still alive - you also win.
So basically, the goal's to become a lightning rod, and if impossible, revert to survivor?

Seems like it'd be hard, but definitely a cool idea.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Amb
Amb
Goon
Amb
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1014 (ISO) » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:17 am

Post by Amb »

Yes, that's the concept exactly :)
Amb
Amb
Goon
Amb
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1015 (ISO) » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:35 am

Post by Amb »

And you'd probably better hope the cop dies, because if he has already investigated you - he isn't likely to do it a 2nd time!
Sanjay
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Sanjay
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1016 (ISO) » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:47 am

Post by Sanjay »

I really like the idea of a slightly easier survivor, because it's a cool win-condition, but way too hard.
Axxle
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1017 (ISO) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 am

Post by Axxle »

I played against this role offsite and thought it was hilarious:

Role Name: Disguised Neighborizer

Alignment: Mafia. You win when your faction controls half of the Town’s population.

Each night, you may target 1 player. They will be invited to your QT found here: X. The Qt’s title is blank because I need you to tell me a pseudonym for yourself to use. When you confirm this PM, tell me the name of a player in the game other than yourself. I’ll change the QT’s title to that name, and you’ll converse with others under that name.
All players in this QT will be able to converse with each other at night, but not when they are dead or during the day.

Additionally, you may complete the factional kill.
Your Mafia QT is here: X. You can talk to each other as much as you want during the night.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1018 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 am

Post by Venmar »

You are a
Bed

You are a fucking bed. You just want someone to get laid on top of you, so you wait in the darkness every night hoping it comes true.

You win when two scummers of the opposite sex target you during a particular night and have sexy time.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #1019 (ISO) » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:34 pm

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 1018, Venmar wrote:You are a
Bed

You are a fucking bed. You just want someone to get laid on top of you, so you wait in the darkness every night hoping it comes true.

You win when two scummers of the opposite sex target you during a particular night and have sexy time.
I approve of this.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Axxle
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Axxle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1020 (ISO) » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Post by Axxle »

Why is the bed so homophobic?
JacobSavage
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
JacobSavage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1021 (ISO) » Wed May 01, 2013 5:48 am

Post by JacobSavage »

What happens if its more than two ...
"
I don't have an opinion, everything is great.
"

I have a GTKAS!
| Slightly V/LA at the moment
izakthegoomba
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
izakthegoomba
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1022 (ISO) » Wed May 01, 2013 6:42 am

Post by izakthegoomba »

Depends if it's consensual, or if there's cheating involved.
(Mostly) on hiatus until further notice. Planet MafiaScum 2 will be modded by Inspi and JDGA - go check it out!
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1023 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:09 am

Post by mastin2 »

Here's a neat little role idea I cooked up:
You are a
Mafia Negative Utility Role Inventor

Each night, you may target a player. They are given a one-shot negative utility role of your choice. You can only use each invention once. Your inventions are
  • Miller:
    The targeted player will show up as guilty the next time a cop targets them.
  • Suicidally Compulsive:
    The targeted player must take a night action the following night. If they are unable to do so, they will instead shoot themselves.
  • Paranoid Gun Owner:
    The next time the target player is targeted, they will kill the person targeting them.
  • Busdriver:
    The next night, the targeted player will select two players. Actions targeting one of those players will target the other player, and vice-versa.
You win with the mafia.
Some mod notes, to clear up confusion:

-All of these inventions are received during the end of the current night phase, meaning they activate the
following
night phase.

-The miller and PGO are one-target deals. That means if two cops target the millerized player, only the first sees the miller as scum; the second cop would see the miller as town. (Well, assuming the target IS town. :P)
Same deal for the PGO: the first role targeting the player will die, but any additional roles targeting the player will be fine. This is resolved via NAR; in the case of a tie, the person who submitted first will die.

And this only lasts for the night they are targeted. The millerized player will continue to be a millerized player until they
are
investigated by a cop (and it has to be a cop, not a rolecop), and after that (even if it's the same cop), they'll appear normally. (Meaning, these two abilities are not specific to night-after-receiving; they're carried until nullified.)

-The busdriver is technically compulsive, even though it's not called as such.

-The Suicidally Compulsive modifier can act as a delayed second nightkill for the scumteam, if it targets a player who cannot perform a night action during the night they have the invention. (Meaning, it'll auto-kill VTs, and can kill X-shot roles who're out of shots, and also kill Non-Consecutive/Odd/Even roles if they have to use an action during a night they can't actually take an action.)
This suicide will override bulletproofs, however, it will not override protections. (BGs/Doctors can save the player from shooting themselves.) Note that the suicide attempt can also be roleblocked, and this will still use up the negative invention. So, a player can be saved by a BG, Doctor, Roleblocker, or Jailkeeper.

I certainly think it's a neat idea. Might be a bit strong, but certainly has a lot of uses as a mafia role.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1024 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:53 pm

Post by Karnage »

The Forgotten (3rd Party Survivor)
- 3rd Party Commuter but only if they received no votes in the last vote count of the day. You win if you survive to endgame.

i was going to use this for a doctor who themed game on another site for "The Silence".

Return to “Mafia Discussion”