Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #212 (isolation #0) » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:07 am

Post by Herodotus »

You are a
Quack Psychiatrist
. Each night, you (must/may) target one other player. If that player is a Serial Killer, they become a Vanilla Townie. If that player is any pro-town role, they become a Serial Killer.
If one Serial Killer
you created
targets you for a kill at night, instead you spend the night talking them down. You lose your night choice, that kill is prevented, and the SK becomes a VT (you are told that this happened, but you aren't told who targeted you.)
If more than one SK you created targets you at night, you lose your night choice and die. If you are NK'ed by anyone else, that doesn't cause you to lose your night choice.
You win when you are the last survivor, or the last survivors are you and one SK you created, or nothing can prevent this.
Alt WC:
You win with the town.
(bastard mod note: you could just tell them they're a psychiatrist.)
Alt WC:
You when a Serial Killer you created wins.
The mod needs to decide how to handle the SK's choice on the nights they are created or turned townie. And the role should only be used if the players are comfortable with changing WC's.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #250 (isolation #1) » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:10 am

Post by Herodotus »

You are the
Village Person (Jack of all Trades.)

On each night you must choose one of the following one-shot abilities:
Cop:
Investigate one player. Guaranteed sane.
Chief:
The mod will create a simple letter/letter substitution cipher and send it to you and one player of your choice. This doesn't allow you to night-talk, but you are both allowed to use the code in the thread if you wish.
Cowboy:
Quick draw -- anyone who targets you tonight will be killed.
Construction Worker:
You call this morning?!? The mod will announce in the thread that you "spent all night in the street on a jackhammer, and couldn't have done anything else or heard anyone talking to you."
Biker:
You cannot be targeted that night, as you are out riding.
Soldier:
Kill one player, as a normal vig.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #271 (isolation #2) » Wed May 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Post by Herodotus »

The Fonz wrote:What do people think about:

Wide Net Cop

Name three other players, and i will tell you how many scum there are in that group.

Ed: Just realised that this is game-breaking if the answer is 'none.' Darn.
Two alternatives that would solve the problem:
the result will be "even" or "odd" number of scum among the three, or
the result will be "0-1" or "2-3" scum among the three.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #281 (isolation #3) » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Post by Herodotus »

BridgesAndBaloons wrote: I was thinking more like

Wide net Cop

Each night you send me a different nonconsecutive number of players (not including yourself) greater than 2. If you cannot do this, then you don't have a night action. I will then tell you if the total number of pro-town win conditions in those players is even or odd.

For example, first night sends 4 names (3 town, 1 scum = odd)
second night 6 names (3 Town, 2 scum, 1 survivor = odd)
third night 5 names (4 town, 1 Jester = even)

ect.

This is a role that becomes more and more powerful as the game goes on, obviously.

The reason why I did nonconsecutive is because a player could theoretically pick x players, then x+1 and if the answer changes, that person is confirmed town.
For obvious reasons, I like the even/odd response.

I see nothing wrong with letting a cop spend two nights to investigate one player.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #298 (isolation #4) » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by Herodotus »

egruntz wrote:I made this role up myself. What do you guys think of it?
A good role. Does immunity mean that the player cannot be lynched or killed?

Your location ("Plum hunting!") has me concerned, because everyone knows that Plum is a townie.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #422 (isolation #5) » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Post by Herodotus »

Giving a SK both NK and Investigation Immunity is too good.
Not always.
any suggestions?
You could just make it an X-shot reflexive roleblocker.
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #631 (isolation #6) » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:00 pm

Post by Herodotus »

The Rosmerta role isn't bastard if you tell the player the information in the mod note.

Preventing a vig from hinting at their future targets is 100% pure bastard modding, though. It basically means the player cannot both claim vig and express suspicion of another player. After all, if I said "I'm a vig" and "I believe Kayi is scum" -- that would be a heavy-handed hint that Kayi was going to be my target. Even voting a player is an indication that you're likely to vig them if they aren't lynched.
Just because a majority of a group of people decide it's okay doesn't mean it's not murder. - Cobblerfone
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #637 (isolation #7) » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Post by Herodotus »

Kayi wrote:
UncertainKitten wrote:A more elegant solution would have Trelawny's ability not apply to vig kills. Admittedly that does give her the information of who the vig is shooting. Another one is "don't include a vig", but I assume you've balanced around that a bit.
Now I'm torn between logic and what would seem more like the actual character. I would've wanted her abilities to work in "enemy kills" at least, but included the Vig because of what you said (she'd know who the Vig's kill is.) I guess I'll listen to your last advice and make sure there's no Town-aligned killing roles if I ever plan on using this type of character. Or to make that killing role act at daytime, while her powers only work at night.
Is it a big detriment to the game for trelawny to
maybe
be able to figure out which kills were made by the vig
some of the time
? Often, it's not hard to guess at the start of the next day which kill was performed by the vig, if one knows that there is a vig in the first place. In this case, the player must choose the person the vig kills in order to know the kill was made by a vig, so given random selection, they only have a 1 in N-1 chance of getting this information (where N is the number of living players.)

This would
sort of
allow the player to
semi
-confirm someone's vig claim, but they would have to give up the positive effect of their ability on that night.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #661 (isolation #8) » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Post by Herodotus »

Vi wrote:
Dark Horse wrote:
Cautious Vig:
Each night, you may select one person to kill. If that person is mafia, he/she is shot. If that person is town, however, they vig will not kill that person and can select someone else.

The Cautious Veg wins when all threats to the town have been eliminated.
This role could be balanced... if and only if this role is also in the game.
Naive PGO:
Any Town-aligned player who targets you with any action will be reflexively killed.
And the game was 3-player, night-start.

Dark Horse, do you mean that on each night the CV can keep selecting players until they select a scum? That would let them confirm multiple townies and kill scum every night... maybe I'm misreading.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #669 (isolation #9) » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Post by Herodotus »

The group doesn't necessarily need to be mutually confirmed as town. Giving the Irregulars 2 town and 1 scum members would make it... complicated.
In fact, I think Amished was once a Serial Killer member of a group of cops in a marathon game.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #776 (isolation #10) » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:50 am

Post by Herodotus »

quadz08 wrote:I'm not sure if this really belongs in this thread, but I think it's interesting, at least. It's a modified cult of sorts.

You are the
Virus Carrier
, the sole member of the
Infected
faction.

You will die from a terrible virus at the end of Night 2. Nothing can stop this.

On Night 2, you must choose another player to pass the virus to. As long as you are not killed by something other than the virus, this pass will be successful.

The player who receives the virus becomes a part of the
Infected
faction. They will die two Nights after receiving the virus, and be allowed to pass it to another player, just as you were.

The
Infected
faction will win the game if an
Infected
player is still alive at endgame.

(this was the brainchild of Xylthixlm; I and MrZepher modified it.)
fixed
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #779 (isolation #11) » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Herodotus »

quadz08 wrote:
Herodotus wrote:
quadz08 wrote:(this was the brainchild of Xylthixlm; I and MrZepher modified it.)
fixed
Really? I was unaware of this.
It might have existed even earlier, but see Infection where the mafia group had this ability instead of the ability to kill.
Herodotus
Herodotus
Black Ops
Herodotus
Black Ops
Black Ops

Post Post #811 (isolation #12) » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:21 am

Post by Herodotus »

x_X (town, sk, survivor; super-rare; 4+ players): You can kill with a glance ("x_X [player]"). You act during the day, not at night. Your ability can only be used once. Actions: (day)kill (1 use)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”