Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #361 (isolation #0) » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 am

Post by Amished »

It's like there's a mod note wincon for you: "If a group you don't know exist, or even that you're part of (and you are part of it) gains controlling majority in a game, you win!"

You are a threat to the town in the normal sense of a town wincon; so ideally you should be trying to lynch yourself with your standard (believed accurate) town wincon. However, your wincon changed because you're now part of the threat to the town; and you don't want to yourself lynched, as well as an unknown number of unknown players.

I think this role is a terrible idea; only suitable for bastard mod games. Changing wincon without notification is lying to the player AT A BARE MINIMUM.
I'm going on a crusade to put more thought into my posts.

No, my name is not "Ed."
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #364 (isolation #1) » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:41 am

Post by Amished »

@EMP: The way I read the hypnotist role is basically a cult recruiter without the night-talk or knowledge of who else is in your group. If you get hypnotized as town, you're not gonna be associatively scummy due to not knowing who else is in your group.

For example: You're a townie in a closed large setup. 25 players, 5 scum, something like that. The first 5 days you can be the best townie on the face of the earth, finding all the scum due to getting 1 the first day and then getting the rest due to association. Assuming hypnotist is just as good as you by finding townies that stay alive you then start in a 15 player game; 5 "scum" that have no idea that they're scum, the only informed minority there is 1 person that you get 2 mislynches before half the town randomly wins by being hypnotized and not knowing it.

I see it more balanced if, like Zorblag said, only the hypnotist wins; where I was looking at it that everyone hypnotized wins (which is more logical, the hypnotist wins, you're under the hypnotist so that you win as well). If only the hypnotist wins then you're looking for an SK that doesn't kill but has a similar effect on town numbers with regards to lylo.

No, my name is not "Ed."
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #366 (isolation #2) » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:15 am

Post by Amished »

Then it's still like a hidden SK for lylo situations. As long as you're hypnotized, you're effectively working towards two distinct and exclusive win conditions. At least with cults, you know what you're working towards and against; while hypnotized people are just looking for one person; and they have no idea (based on can hypnotize scum/pr or not) if they're close to lylo or not.

I just disagree with the way that you can be working towards something (being hypnotized and not knowing it, furthering anti-town wincon) while playing your normal game and not *wanting* to work towards what you're effectively doing (trying to stay alive since you're pro-town, but staying alive helps you lose). I'm not a fan of the duality there.

No, my name is not "Ed."
Amished
Amished
Mafia Scum
Amished
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #368 (isolation #3) » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:24 am

Post by Amished »

I still see it as an SK that can't deal with scum/fake-claim Vig. The town will still hunt for you, effectively know that you're there and need to deal with you; and you have ties to other people that you don't want lynched making you more vulnerable.

No, my name is not "Ed."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”