Mafia Universe Championships Season 9–Representative Voting

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Mafia Universe Championships Season 9–Representative Voting

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:18 am

Post by Prism »

Mafia Universe Championships Season 9 – Representative Voting

The community has decided participate in an invitational tournament hosted by another website, Mafia Universe! We’ll be sending a representative decided by you, the community, to compete in a series of games against the top players from a variety of other mafia-playing communities. We will also be electing a backup representative in case the primary representative is unable to compete for any reason.

All games will be 3v12 Mountainous taking place on the Mafia Universe forums. Deadlines and activity rules are generally shortened, with most games utilizing 48 hour day phases and 24 hour night phases. Keep this in mind when placing your votes!

We encourage you to keep a holistic view when voting. Do you believe that a player will serve as a good representative — in behavior, in style, in skill, in enthusiasm — for the MafiaScum community to another website?

Nominees

1. catboi (petapan)
2. Datisi
3. Lukewarm
4. MariaR
5. MathBlade

All nominees were previously selected by the community in this earlier thread.

Voting Procedure

In order to determine the representative and backup representative to the Mafia Universe Championship, we’ll be utilizing a version of ranked choice voting. Simply rank your preferred nominees using the list given above. You are free to rank as many or as few candidates as you like, but please rank each candidate only once. Nominees are eligible to vote and may rank themselves at any position.

Please submit your ballot by posting it here, or by privately PMing myself with AniX cc'd.
Revisions to your ballot will be accepted up until the deadline, which is in (expired on 2022-04-19 12:00:39).

An example ballot can be found below:

1. zoraster
2. Kison
3. borkjerfkin

This voter has zoraster as their first-choice of representative, Kison as their second-choice of representative, and borkjerfkin as their third-choice.

Detailed Voting Procedure

Spoiler:
The election will be decided using a modified version of Instant-runoff voting. The number of first-choice votes for each nominee will be tallied. If a single nominee earns a majority of the votes, that nominee will win the vote and become the site’s representative. If no majority has been reached, the nominee with the fewest first-place votes will be eliminated from consideration, and their votes will be re-distributed to each voter’s second choice nominee. Ballots will be counted again and the process will repeat until a winner is decided.

In the event of any ties, the eliminated nominee will be decided by comparing all tied nominees' Tournament-style Borda count, calculated before the very first nominee elimination (Primarily a time-saving measure by only having to calculate this number once). The tied nominee with the lowest Borda count will be eliminated. In the event this process still results in a tie, all tied nominees will be eliminated simultaneously if possible. In the event this would eliminate all nominees, AniX will serve as the deciding vote to eliminate a nominee with input from other members of the modteam.

When the first representative is decided, this process will repeat from scratch with the first round’s winner removed in order to find the backup representative. Borda counts will be revised to reflect the result of the first election. The winning nominee and backup representative will have two days to confirm their acceptance.

Votes for invalid nominees will be removed and ballot rankings will be adjusted accordingly. Duplications and similar ballot errors will be resolved by keeping a nominee’s highest-ranked placing and adjusting the ranking accordingly. A modteam veto of an elected representative or backup representative, or the withdrawal of one of the selected nominees, will result in a recount with the said nominees removed.

You are encouraged to discuss in this thread what makes a nominee your top choice or the site’s best representative. As a general rule, try to avoid using the thread to tear down or disparage nominees. The administration has final approval on the site’s selected representatives. If you have behavioral concerns for any nominee or representative, please PM AniX or any moderator you feel comfortable with in order to share your concerns or story.

As a reminder, please submit your ballot by posting it here, or by privately PMing myself with AniX cc'd. The deadline, which is in (expired on 2022-04-19 12:00:39).
Last edited by Prism on Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:41 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I am not familiar with all of these players so I'm doing a bit of meta diving. This is purely exploratory in my free time to help me vote, and if you're reading this you are encouraged to stop me and provide some examples of these people's best play so I don't have to go find it.

Here's a game I found where Datisi and MathBlade won 3-way lylo for town: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88600
Here's Datisi's private notes thread for that same game, in which he nailed 2/3 scum in his readslist within 48 hours of gamestart: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=88604

Not bad, Datisi, not bad
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:55 am

Post by AniX »

If you still want to have a mod collect private ballots, I'd be willing to step in for T-Bone.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:58 am

Post by Prism »

I'll edit the thread to replace all mentions of T-Bone with you, I've started getting votes sent privately so I'm not going to change the process itself. These will be forwarded to you with the voter cc'd.

Thank you, AniX!
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:49 am

Post by Lukewarm »

Prism, thank you for stepping up an helping facilitate this. Just pmed you and anix my vote!
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:52 am

Post by DkKoba »

1. Gira/Catboi/Petapan - passionate player, very active, extremely strong scumplay, exceptionally strong townplay. With no mechs in play either, he can do what makes him shine best.
2. MariaR - extremely strong player - i only rank this lower than Catboi because of lack of being active on here. Strong familiarity with MU deadlines as well. Very likely to get fearkilled night 1 even.
3. Dannfloor - This guy is for sure a solid pick as well, I have seen their town and scumplay and it can most definitely compete with the Finalist level play.
The other 3 are good picks too but I had to narrow it down and these 3 are the standouts.
Last edited by DkKoba on Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:06 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

1 MathBlade
2 Datisi
3 Dannflor
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:28 pm

Post by Prism »

While it was probably intentional, as a reminder, you can rank any number of candidates. My example ballot was 3 but that is not the limit.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:20 pm

Post by Ythan »

Good luck everyone!
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:34 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

did mena decline?
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:55 am

Post by MathBlade »

If anyone has any questions over meta etc to decide where I should go in your list my PMs are open :)

May the best representative go :)
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:56 am

Post by MathBlade »

Btw I voted and it was tough. Whoever goes will be great!
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:00 am

Post by Prism »

In post 9, OkaPoka wrote:did mena decline?
I didn't see a public decline, and he didn't appear on the list of declines. He might still have privately declined so I can ask Lukewarm.

He did not meet the 2 years without a ban loose guideline from the modteam, but we should still check and make sure no one else got left off.
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:28 pm

Post by Menalque »

I thought it was two noms, so didn’t realise I needed to. However, while I appreciate the thought, there’s no way I could commit to playing and I think the current swathe of candidates would all do a much better job than myself.

Just need to figure out who to vote for now lol
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:30 pm

Post by Prism »

In post 12, Prism wrote:
I didn't see a public decline, and he didn't appear on the list of declines. He might still have privately declined so I can ask Lukewarm.

He did not meet the 2 years without a ban loose guideline from the modteam, but we should still check and make sure no one else got left off.
Following up on this, it looks like he was mistakenly left off of the ballot. I reached out to Menalque apologizing, and offered to add him and PM every voter to do my best to rectify things.

He wound up declining, but thank you for pointing out the oversight, and you have my sincere apology for it.

P-Edit: howdy
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:44 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

no need to apologize lmao
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:58 pm

Post by Prism »

Dannflor has declined, and thus has been removed from the OP.

We'll adjust submitted ballots accordingly when the time comes to count, so no worries about adjusting them yourself.
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:13 pm

Post by DkKoba »

I'm maintaining my votes as is, then.
retired
"1 thing I will give you Dk, I think you are very good at manipulating. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think you [have] this way with yourself. You know what to say and when to say [it]." ~VFP
"Koba doesn't really have a scumrange/townrange, Koba will kill your pet cat to win a game" ~Pooky
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:59 am

Post by Prism »

Reminder that voting closes tonight! Send in your ballot if you haven't already!
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:10 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Shoot I didn't finish meta-ing. Welp.

1. MariaR
2. Datisi
3. MathBlade
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:21 pm

Post by Prism »

Mafia Universe Championships Season 9 – Results

Voting has now closed! Thank you all for nominating players, helping design the process, and as so many Vanilla Townie role PMs say, making full use of your voice and your vote!

I was very pleased with the turnout given all of the organizational challenges. I'm very grateful for the patience, and for trusting me to help make this happen. I did not do this alone.

I first want to thank AniX, who graciously offered their time in adding a layer of accountability and helping count the ballots! Next, I would like to thank Lukewarm for helping organize and assemble the list of nominees. Finally, it is important to remember why this was possible to begin with: I want to thank DkKoba, who first spearheaded the movement to participate. None of this would have been possible without the three of them.

Without further ado, our primary representative to Season 9 of the Mafia Universe Championships is...

Spoiler: Click!
catboi!

Congratulations, you big furball!

In the event our primary representative is unable to compete, another member has the honor of serving as the backup!

Our backup representative is...

Spoiler: Click!
Datisi!

The elected representatives have two days to accept their positions.

Thank you all for voting, and to all of our nominees for being willing to represent the community. For our final representative, I wish you luck and will be cheering for you this summer!

As a reminder, these elected representatives are expected to represent the community well, and thus will be held to a high standard of behavior. Both are subject to final approval or veto by the moderation team. If you have concerns about a candidate's behavioral history, ban history, or ability to serve as a representative of the community, please PM AniX or any moderator you feel comfortable with to share those concerns or stories.

As a final note, for our representatives, please note that by agreeing to represent the community you also agree to transfer exclusive usage rights & ownership of your soul to borkjerfkin in perpetuity, effective immediately.
Last edited by Prism on Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:47 pm

Post by Ythan »

Hell yeah x2
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:08 am

Post by Lukewarm »

Yay!
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:20 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Good luck.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:34 am

Post by Lukewarm »

Thanks Prism for taking charge of this!

Thanks Koba for getting this whole thing started!

Thanks Anix for helping with the voting

Return to “Mafia Discussion”