What Do You Deem Scummy?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:37 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Neither AtE nor omgus voting is necessarily scum indicative. Many people do it as either alignment. If they ONLY rely on that and fail to also use valid reasoning, then and only then, might it be a possible scumtell.

I’d be a millionaire if I counted the times a player was pushed based off this reasoning that was nai. The only times I probably don’t get upset at being pushed is probably if I’m jester.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:18 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 23, Irrelephant11 wrote:
Voting for town is obviously not proof someone is scum, but voting for town sure is something scum do. Otherwise VCA wouldn't mean anything. I guess I should specify that I'm talking specifically about votes that actually participate in an end-of-day elimination.

I just think scum voting town overlooks that town has pretty decent odds of voting other town. If you're looking for a good scumtell look for someone trying to blend in and look pro-town without actually committing votes throughout a game. VCA isn't completely useless but you do need to understand how vote distribution works and a lot of scumteams split their votes on and off wagon. (Or at least they did in my time.)
In post 23, Irrelephant11 wrote:I agree that unreasonableness isn't inherently scummy, e.g. when it comes from someone I'm playing with for the first time. But the rest of my sentence was intended to mean "if I know someone to be 8/10 reasonable usually, and they're being 3/10 reasonable with me, that's a scum tell" - because it means they probably have motive to not see things my way. Sometimes this leads to accidental PR hunting.
With meta to back I can agree. I've learned from experience though sadly that a lot of town doesn't play reasonable.
In post 23, Irrelephant11 wrote:I don't think AtE from the person being wagoned is necessarily scummy (depends on context, possibly NAI). But I do think scum are more likely than town to use AtE in all other scenarios (e.g. to push someone else, to affect the gamestate, to try to discredit someone leading conversation, etc).
ATE in other scenarios I can see being scummy actually yes.
ItalianoVD
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:34 am

Post by ItalianoVD »

-I generally find the lack of logic scummy. When you aren't thinking or misreading/misrepresenting words I'm gonna think you're trying to purposely confuse.

-Being too agreeable and not willing to ruffle any feathers especially after having multiple flips.

-Really thought out readslist on Day 1, especially within the first 5-7 pages.

-Voting for me. Especially, in a way that is not meant to sort or if I haven't played or done anything scummy.
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:19 pm

Post by Alianna »

Being in my townbin is scummy.
I townread Alianna.

Post #1000s Collected: 23
On hiatus from playing mafia.
Frogsterking
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Frogsterking
He/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:01 am

Post by Frogsterking »

I look for clusters of tells which appear together. I think early D1 and D2 are the best times to pick up on AI content, especially against weaker players, though AI content can happen anytime.

Examples of clusters:
__

Parallel communication (information compiled together into larger posts rather than spread across a series of smaller posts.)
+
Monologuing (rather than engaging with other players in a back and forth.)
__

Lurking
+
Making excuses for not being able to post reads.
+
Referencing notes you've taken and not sharing them.
__

Low signal:noise ratio, for example taking way too many words to explain a really simple concept, like a concept is a derived construct in this instance...
Still talking about abstraction...
VOTE: frog
If you're confused then you read this tell correctly.
+
An emphasis in writing on reasons to scumread or townread other players rather than actual reads on other players.
__

Really hedgey and cagey takes, lots of uncertainty and contradictory statements within the same post.
"You know that player said this thing that's pretty scummy and worth thinking about...but I could also definitely see them saying that as town. Oh gee, a lot to think about here. I'm going to have to reread."
+
Trying to discredit players who are putting a lot of effort into game solving.
__

There are certain miscellaneous things which happen a lot and can [
sometimes
be done poorly enough by the scum player it's a scum tell:

• I think there are
    certain kinds
    of reads lists posts that are really scummy.

I think high post count shit post slots are really scummy
    sometimes

I think claiming under pressure in a way which contradicts your previous play is extremely scummy.

I think some players have divergent town and scum metas and you can explain logically with examples from past games and it's pretty reliable
    for the rest of that game only.

Asking completely pointless questions that go nowhere is sometimes scummy.

I just read and agree with the tell Italiano pointed out about being overly accommodating.
I want to warn the important thing with all of the tells is having very specific examples of when to apply them and when not to apply them. I believe we need to be overtrained and encounter the situations in practice far more times than necessary than it took to "understand" the tells before we will actually be able to go "oh yeah this is scummy" in a game and we're not just throwing darts.
Bruce: Terry. I've been thinking about something you once told me... and you were wrong. It's not Batman that makes you worthwhile; it's the other way around. Never tell yourself anything different.
Terry: ...Thanks.
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:46 pm

Post by T3 »

In post 27, ItalianoVD wrote:-I generally find the lack of logic scummy. When you aren't thinking or misreading/misrepresenting words I'm gonna think you're trying to purposely confuse.

-Being too agreeable and not willing to ruffle any feathers especially after having multiple flips.

-Voting for me. Especially, in a way that is not meant to sort or if I haven't played or done anything scummy.
I get confused way more often as town than I do as scum. I guess that as scum I’m usually reading through posts more carefully in order to not slip up and be scumread.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:43 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In general when people jump on someone for really ludicrous reasons, as in an agenday kind of way.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:45 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 30, T3 wrote:
In post 27, ItalianoVD wrote:-I generally find the lack of logic scummy. When you aren't thinking or misreading/misrepresenting words I'm gonna think you're trying to purposely confuse.

I get confused way more often as town than I do as scum. I guess that as scum I’m usually reading through posts more carefully in order to not slip up and be scumread.
+1

I can definitely relate. I say and do a lot more stupid things as town because I’m really just not thinking too much how it looks.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”