Types of doctors

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:30 am

Post by Phoebus »

Similar
similar
, yes?
Not
same :P

The doctor role conditions differ eh? It does not matter if the Ripper's charge is attacked or not. If he's male...he wouldn't do anything to him. If it were female...well...an attack was unnecessary wasn't it? Rip...tear...kill? ;)
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:44 am

Post by PolarBoy »

I had a doctor that could fall in love in trouble in the toybox(mini 44). The idea had actually been suggested to me by Cuban Smoker. Basically if Dr. Ken protected Barbie(because that's what the roles were) they'd become a mason group, but there were side effects. Ken could choose to protect Barbie, or he could protect Barbie and someone else, but he would be incompetent if he did. Also, If either died, the other would commit suicide. It never came into play though because Dr. Ken died pretty early. I kind of liked the idea though. I also wish it could've happened so that I could see mathcam and Totem fall in love :D , but oh well.

I think suicide pact masons are a neat idea though.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:45 pm

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

Other healing roles I've (introd)used:

Faith healer: 50% chance of healing
Medical students: take over from dead doc, but can only heal on odd and even days respectively.
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:42 pm

Post by Cadmium »

Dragon Phoenix wrote:I think I introduced the "spin doctor" (or Dr Jeckyll/Mr Hyde) , who will protect his/her choice only IF his/her choice is indeed attacked - otherwise the spin doctor will kill the player (s)he chose.
Phoebus wrote:Wasn't there also Jack the Ripper who was a similar spin doctor you could say I guess?
Protect a male role and kill a female one?
Dragon Phoenix wrote:I introduced it about a year before London mafia.... :P
Plus there's a big difference between attacked/not attacked and male/female.

The spin doctor is much more likely to kill someone (unless there are a
lot
of females).
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:09 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Can someone explain the 'sacrificial' roles I've seen occasionally in themed games? A player who dies performing the Doctor's role, but often can only protect one specific role. (Patsy in Monty Python Mafia, for example)

If the Protected role is not yet revealed and is targetted at night, does the Sacrifical Doc automatically die, end of story? Or is it only if the Protected role-claims and the SD chooses to do so?

If the sacrifice is not generally automatic, what are people's thoughts on having a role like this? Is it any more unfair than a normal townie being killed? Does it give the Mafia too much info when their target survives and someone else dies?

Assume Unknown Roles at the start of the game.
Retired as of October 2014.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:35 am

Post by cuban smoker »

IF the Sacrificial Doc can only protect a small set of people, then it would be up to the moderator to determine what happened if a "protected" person was targetted. The doc is a lot stronger if they automatically work, as opposed to having to find the people they are supposed to guard. Thus, if you want to have a Sac Doc guarding only a small group of people [(or one) I would say they die if their marks are targetted.

If the sacrifice is not automatic, I think the role is almost pointless. A doc who only works if they protect the right person(s) AND dies if they do happen to protect successfully? VERY weak.

On the other hand, if your sacrifical doc dies if he protects anyone, then its obvious what happens. But that's not what you were talking about.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:12 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Thank you, I was indeed talking about automatic protection on one specific player. My only concern now is whether that means that the originally targetted player just dies the next night when the Mafia/SK figures it out.

I've got a lot going on though: 3 killing groups, 1 full doc, and 2-3 sacrifical docs among other roles, so I'll have to run the numbers...
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:20 pm

Post by cuban smoker »

You could tell the protected player before or after the fact that they have protection. On the day after the sac doc dies, the player might come out, revealing whatever important information this important character might have accumulated, and appealing for further protection. Or not.

Alternatively, with more than 1 killing group, you can make it difficult to tell what happened at night. Mafia are rarely told why kills fail, and there have been kill redirecting roles used before, albeit rarely.

Sac Docs are not common on this board.
Darkblade
Darkblade
Goon
Darkblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:22 pm

Post by Darkblade »

I've introduced a type of doc in Paranoid mafia. The Paranoid Doctor strapped his patient to the table in fear of being killed by his patient, causing the target to be both protected and role-blocked. I've used this kind of role in RL setups too; works great to stop the strategy of Cop comes out and recieves nightly protection as he roots out the mafia.
"Trying to outguess the mod can be hazardous to your health" - Foolster41 in Paranoid Mafia
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:32 pm

Post by Dasquian »

Sac docs do sound weak, but I guess they're still better than normal townies :) And I like the role-blocker/doctor combo role, the doctor is left guessing whether they protected the victim or blocked a killer when there's no kill...
[size=84]QUACK[/size]
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:44 pm

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

Another doc type I introduced is the Guardian Angel, who has the power at any time in the game to select one player to protect for the rest of the game, from lynches and night kills, as long as the GA lives.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:21 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Dragon Phoenix wrote:Another doc type I introduced is the Guardian Angel, who has the power at any time in the game to select one player to protect for the rest of the game, from lynches and night kills, as long as the GA lives.
Okay, so that type of role does exist on occasion... thanks.
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:03 am

Post by Cadmium »

Occasionally? No way!

Of all the mafia games I played in my life, there wasn't a single one which had that role included. As a matter of fact, I've never even heard of the role before today.

It sounds way to powerfull if you ask me. One mistake and a mafia member is immune for the rest of the game. How did it work out, DP?
"OH MY GOD, Cadmium! I can make rye bread! You must be innocent, I'll do whatever you tell me!" exclaims Mackay excitedly. - Jeep, Mini Game 9
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:08 am

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

The guy got killed quickly. :)
It was Werebear with the role of Elvis Presley in Pop and Rock mafia 1. I expected him not to use it until he was 100% sure he was protecting a cop or doc.
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:13 am

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

The thread.

He got killed later than I thought. Anyway, I don't think he used his ability.
Cadmium
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Cadmium
Twentythreeth
Twentythreeth

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:22 am

Post by Cadmium »

Hmm, I'd better retract my previous post then. I was in that game :).

But you're right. A good player wouldn't use that ability without knowing the innocence of his target for 100%.
cuban smoker
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
cuban smoker
An Acquired Taste
An Acquired Taste

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:58 am

Post by cuban smoker »

There have also been a couple instances of doctors who got hurt/killed when protecting anyone.

And instances of doctors who would get the list of kills for a night, and protect one of them a very limited number of times in the game.
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:47 am

Post by Katsuki »

-

assuming that the numerous multiposting was some sort of error. posts have been removed.

-errantparabola
Last edited by Errantparabola on Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod action on spam
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a