LOTR Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

LOTR Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:00 am

Post by mikehart »

Could anyone give me suggestions for roles to a LOTR mafia? Ive almost figured them out but it gives an advantage to one of the groups.
V/LA every weekend for awhile.

I officially owe Maruchan.
mlaker
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
I'm just a stuffed dog!

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:02 am

Post by mlaker »

I was thinking of doing a LOTR mafia and I have some role ideas.I'll PM them to you if you want.

mlaker
Corsato
Corsato
Goon
Corsato
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:38 am

Post by Corsato »

Maybe you could Frodo in it, or Gandalf.... ;)

On a more serious not, you might want to contact Macros, his setup on the Grey Labyrinth was really good (imho).
mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:11 am

Post by mikehart »

alright mlaker thats cool. i was also thinking of instead of doing the trilogy in one big game, doing each novel in three diufferent ones but any input would be helpful

PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:22 am

Post by PolarBoy »

LOTR isn't a trilogy, it's a long novel that was published in three volumes. [under_breath]yrch.[/ub]
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:25 am

Post by mikehart »

your sadly mistaken. it was actually written in six different "books" which was published as three novels each containing 2 "books"

PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:32 am

Post by PolarBoy »

You might wish to note that my original post did not use the word "book". The specific word you must have misread was "volume" which refers to pages bound within the same cover. Actually it's worth note that The Lord of the Rings has, in fact, been reprinted in a single volume. My point was that it is not a trilogy. A trilogy is three stories, seperate unto themselves, that fit together end to end. The Lord of the Rings is a single story that, mainly for practical reasons, was broken into three seperate parts rather arbitrarily.
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:00 am

Post by mathcam »

Merriam-Webster wrote:]Trilogy: A series of three dramas or literary works or sometimes three musical compositions that are closely related and develop a single theme
I would say that the three episodes of the lord of the rings were closely related. The movies form a trilogy in any case.

Oh yeah...yrch?

Cam
mlaker
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
I'm just a stuffed dog!

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:02 am

Post by mlaker »

I've always heard that its called the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

mlaker
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:42 pm

Post by Macros »

it was written as one book, threefore it is one book, the "trilogy" was not Tolkiens idea, he bowed to pressure form the publisher, as they felt it wouldnt sell being so big.
polarboy, my feelings exactly ;)

mikeheart, my role set up for lotr can be found here:
HERE
go to mafia, then games, then lotr.
if you want some help pm me or whatever, i'd be more than willing to offer ideas
(though if you want some really obscure, confusing, arguemnt causing roles that shouldnt really exist and aren't technically in the book, see leonidas ;))
Oh the huge manatee!!
gslamm
gslamm
Goon
gslamm
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:06 pm

Post by gslamm »

As I remember it, each "book" is written from a different characters point of view. That and the fact that I bought the "books" at three different times from three different stores ....

As for roles: Decide on the powers and motives first. Then balance the game. THEN worry about assigning a character name to each.
[size=84]"Hmm, wow.. I'll just sit back and watch the stupidity continue to unfold.. "- genku Mixed Theme [/size]
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:17 am

Post by Macros »

no, the point of veiw does not change, its always the observer, tolkiens point of veiw.
the story diverges along different pahts following the characters, its only seperated into 6 "books" because jumping back and forward each chapter would be annoying, the stories do not follow on form one another (starwars TRILOGY they do) eg, book 5 and 6 happen at the same time, just in different places. thus the books are only there to make the difference clear, and the story was written, fleshed out, re-written (several times) as one book, one story, one myth (he was trying to create a truly singular mythology for england, as all our legends are borrowed, eg, arthur and the knights is apparnetly stolen from the french.)
Oh the huge manatee!!
mikehart
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
mikehart
Dourgrim Jr.
Dourgrim Jr.

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:12 am

Post by mikehart »

:shock: i bow to your superior knowledge of literature. holy cow.

PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:17 pm

Post by PolarBoy »

I was vaguely aware of some of that mythology stuff, I meant that the volumes were in sequence, not the books. I've always thought middle-earth had too much history about it to be thought of as mythology though. I mean, there are all these dates and locations. Something you rarely find in myths. And "yrch" is an elven word meaning "orc". Legolas can be found saying it a few times in the book.
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:10 am

Post by Macros »

PB, i think i know what yrch means ;)
whether or not middle earth could be considered mythic due to such and oerwhemling amount of information, it was created with the intent of it.
but i do agree, its too well defined to be considered in the realms of mths, the y tend to be rather vague and stuff, because generally, they didnt happen :)
(and we all know lotr is real...........)
Oh the huge manatee!!
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:33 am

Post by jeep »

PB, i think i know what yrch means
Hmm... did you really think he was talking to you or do you think maybe he was talking to Mathcam who asked what it means?

-JEEP
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:03 am

Post by Macros »

jeep - everyones is always talking to me, im THAT popular
Oh the huge manatee!!
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:12 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Well actually if I'm not mistaken, The Lord of the Rings has a subtitle that's something like "Being a history of the war of the ring in the third age of the shire." or something like that. What it really looks like to me is he created a mythology in the form of The Silmarillion, and used that mythology to create a culture and a history. What I wasn't aware of was the intent to bring together myths of England(Which, admittedly, I am largely unfamiliar with) And anyway, wasn't Arthur a real English king?(I know, not the fictional Arthur of Mallory's account)
Macros
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Macros
Fear the Random Hobos
Fear the Random Hobos

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:34 am

Post by Macros »

nono.
Lord of the rings is jsut part of the whole middle earth mythology, well, the mytholgoy he beleived he was creating (who knows what substances he was using at the time :))
The idea of the quest for the holy grial, the knights of the round table et al, is afaik stolen or converted form some french fable, probalby brought over with the norman invasion? (who knows, but im fairly sure it was nicked)
becuase we've been invaded so many times whatever legends we did have have been watered down and convoluted until well, we have nothing truly original (i dont know this for sure, this is how tolkien saw it, sort of, :))
He just wanted to create something that wasnt borrowed from other nations, so he went and created the whole lot, although not all the material is original, names can be traced back to other mythologies, i *think* elvish can be linked to some european language (finnish?)
its not plagarism, you try writing something with that many names, then get out an atlas and your favourite novels, see how many of "your" names you find.
so, while the hobbit was written as a short fun novel, he had already other stpries from this fantasical world lying around, it took him years to create the whole thing, lord of the rings was just part of it, although it was written primarily as a sequel to the hobbit, he wanted to release the history of middle earth and silmarion first, get the whole lot out together.
well, i'll go check ovre what i've written, then go hoak out my books and random notes and stuff and confirm that the gibberish i have jsut written is at least semi near to how i read it ages ago. (172-second age ;))
Oh the huge manatee!!
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:26 am

Post by PolarBoy »

I didn't call it plagiarism. Plagiarism is kind of a joke anyway. George Lucas gets a lot of his stuff from Akira Kurosawa, who in turn got a lot of stuff from William Shakespeare, who in turn was many times just adapting poems, histories, and myths, to the stage. And yet the work of all three is considered quite good. Conclusion: Originality isn't everything, in fact it isn't much of anything.
Werebear
Werebear
Cursed One
Werebear
Cursed One
Cursed One

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:28 am

Post by Werebear »

didn't we have this debate on the GL when the latest Harry Potter movie came out??? :)
[color=green]Anyhoo, why is it suspicious that I get confused with a mattress?[/color]
--Wacky, HHGG3 - Life, The Universe, and Everything mafia
mlaker
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
mlaker
I'm just a stuffed dog!
I'm just a stuffed dog!

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:59 am

Post by mlaker »

Speaking of the Harry Potter movie which do think was better the two Harry Potter movies or the two LOTR movies? I definetely think it's LOTR.

mlaker
Fletcher
Fletcher
Eligible for a Title
Fletcher
Eligible for a Title
Eligible for a Title

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:17 am

Post by Fletcher »

Oooh, that's a tough one. I guess I'd say the LOTR movies.
[size=75]"But you know what they say. 'Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is... umm... really, really dumb and bad.'"- Strong Bad[/size]
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:57 am

Post by PolarBoy »

I think it's funny how far off-topic this thread has gotten. It's mostly my fault too. Not gonna say anything about Harry Potter, I've found that to be very dangerous in the past.
ralphmerridew
ralphmerridew
Goon
ralphmerridew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:04 am

Post by ralphmerridew »

Haven't there been enough Tolkein themed games? There were at least four run on GL (Hobbit, LOTR, LOTR2, Isengard), and one here.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”