Commonly Asked Questions on Mafia Theory

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
chennisden
Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: He

Post Post #225  (ISO)  » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:34 pm

Yeah you're right on the ratios.

Nomination is a setup with different mechanics. I have fond memories of the setup especially since my first good towngame and the beginning of me not being the ez lhf mislynch was in a Nomination game

Spangled
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: He

Post Post #226  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:51 am

Why does the number have to be odd?
Does that affect balance somehow?

callforjudgement
Microprocessor

Post Post #227  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:54 am

A 4p mylo is way harder on town than a 3p lylo (optimal town play is to give scum an additional kill, which isn't really that great for town), so if you have a normal day/night cycle with one lynch during the day and one kill at night, starting with an odd number gives a more sensible ending.

The relationship doesn't hold if you have a lot of killing/protective roles or a weird day/night cycle. (If you have a small number of killing roles, sometimes evens even works out better than odds.)
scum · scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn · town

popsofctown
Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: She

Post Post #228  (ISO)  » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:50 am

I feel like it should be mentioned that there's a quality-of-life element that is unrelated to balance. It is much harder to get three people to agree the fourth person is scum than it is to get two people to agree the third is scum. When the dayplay flow involves a deadlock like that it can be less fun for the players irrespective of how that impacts each of their win%s

but cfj is correct that there is a balance element as well
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Previous
[ + ]

Return to Mafia Discussion