Commonly Asked Questions on Mafia Theory

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
chennisden
Macho Pichu

Pronoun: He

Post Post #225  (ISO)  » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:34 pm

Yeah you're right on the ratios.

Nomination is a setup with different mechanics. I have fond memories of the setup especially since my first good towngame and the beginning of me not being the ez lhf mislynch was in a Nomination game
"I believe in our ability to somehow lose."

Spangled
Mafia Scum

Post Post #226  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:51 am

Why does the number have to be odd?
Does that affect balance somehow?

callforjudgement
Microprocessor

Post Post #227  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:54 am

A 4p mylo is way harder on town than a 3p lylo (optimal town play is to give scum an additional kill, which isn't really that great for town), so if you have a normal day/night cycle with one lynch during the day and one kill at night, starting with an odd number gives a more sensible ending.

The relationship doesn't hold if you have a lot of killing/protective roles or a weird day/night cycle. (If you have a small number of killing roles, sometimes evens even works out better than odds.)
scum · scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn · town

popsofctown
Survivor

Pronoun: She

Post Post #228  (ISO)  » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:50 am

I feel like it should be mentioned that there's a quality-of-life element that is unrelated to balance. It is much harder to get three people to agree the fourth person is scum than it is to get two people to agree the third is scum. When the dayplay flow involves a deadlock like that it can be less fun for the players irrespective of how that impacts each of their win%s

but cfj is correct that there is a balance element as well
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

profii
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #229  (ISO)  » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:14 pm

If a lyncher was used in a game would it ever be so that the lyncher had to lynch a scum (and therefore work together with town)
Or is it just kinda random

NDMath
Goon

Post Post #230  (ISO)  » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:42 pm

In post 229, profii wrote:If a lyncher was used in a game would it ever be so that the lyncher had to lynch a scum (and therefore work together with town)
Or is it just kinda random

There would have to either be
A. Another way for the scum to die
B. A secondary part to win con
Because as is it's an easier version of town.

Knightmare491
Goon

Post Post #231  (ISO)  » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:33 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but on the wiki it says that the target of the Jailkeeper receives a PM from the mod saying that they were BLOCKED. So is this applicable only if the target is a PR? Or do VTs need to be told that they were blocked too?
Show

northsidegal
Best Mechanical Play/Excellent Moderation/Best Setup

Post Post #232  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:18 am

where are you seeing that on the wiki page? a jailkeeper's target receiving a PM is not according to normal guidelines, nor would i consider it common usage in pretty much any other setups. i also don't really see that said anywhere on the wiki page.

Knightmare491
Goon

Post Post #233  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:20 am

Show

northsidegal
Best Mechanical Play/Excellent Moderation/Best Setup

Post Post #234  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:23 am

that's not really any sort of official page, it's just a personal project.

Knightmare491
Goon

Post Post #235  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:34 am

Okie, missed that. Thank you!
Show

Knightmare491
Goon

Post Post #236  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:19 am

In this setup https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... of_Command
Say mafia rolled one of the officers (secondary win con isn't applicable) and get lynched, the other two officers get killed, then what happens with the PRs? Are they allowed to use their NAs or not?
Show

popsofctown
Survivor

Post Post #237  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:03 pm

In post 236, Knightmare491 wrote:In this setup https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... of_Command
Say mafia rolled one of the officers (secondary win con isn't applicable) and get lynched, the other two officers get killed, then what happens with the PRs? Are they allowed to use their NAs or not?

The sample scum motivator PM describes receiving orders as a necessary precondition to using an ability rather than a restriction limiting the freedom on the ability. Which would be the preferred reading from just reading the setup anyway, but I'd agree it's not ironclad before you read the role PM. So killing the whole command structure vanillerizes all PRs.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Knightmare491
Goon

Post Post #238  (ISO)  » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:47 pm

popsofctown wrote:
In post 236, Knightmare491 wrote:In this setup https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... of_Command

The sample scum motivator PM describes receiving orders as a necessary precondition to using an ability rather than a restriction limiting the freedom on the ability. Which would be the preferred reading from just reading the setup anyway, but I'd agree it's not ironclad before you read the role PM. So killing the whole command structure vanillerizes all PRs.

:good:
Show

Gamma Emerald
Diamond in the Rough

Post Post #239  (ISO)  » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:57 pm

The only role type that should get told they were blocked is investigator roles, and they should just be given a No Result, not explicitly told a blocking role targeted them.
I have a life now. Don’t assume anything about my silence.
I have a GTKAS! | Old one if you care to see it

BBmolla
Open Book

Post Post #240  (ISO)  » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:44 pm

F2F mafia I tend to start the night with Masons at any playercount to get it started. Two Masons if 9 or less, three if 11 or more.

Generally you only want one or two PRs with night actions just because any more it makes the game an enormous fucking slog. Somehow people haven't made a Jackbox TV version of Mafia so it's 2020 and that's still the biggest problem I encounter.

But yeah, after masons I generally do Son of the Cop (Cop/Miller who disables Cop when he dies), Doc/Macho Cop, Doc/Macho Jailkeeper, and then I'll get into crazier stuff by giving Mafia a Suicide Bomber or the like.

If you have more than 13p it couldn't hurt to add another power role into the above setups which I generally play at like 9 players.

chkflip
Stand Up Guy

Post Post #241  (ISO)  » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:17 pm

How would you balance a cult?

I know how I've done it, and I'm confident with that, but I sporadically like to check the site's pulse in regard to what the unwashed masses think.
"You have absolutely perfect posture." ~ Nachomamma8

"what a glorious mess" ~ Untrod Tripod

Ircher
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #242  (ISO)  » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:19 pm

The main issue with a cult is that it can grow as fast as town can get rid of people. So for a cult game to succeed, you need ways to increase the number of people town can remove at once or ways to mitigate the spread of the cult.
Check out my Player Ratings page!
Level Up (14/4+) is currently ongoing. Come slay monsters. How high of a level can you reach?
SIR Disease Mafia is now on Night 3 and needs 0 replacement(s).
Mini Normal 2139 is finished.

Previous
[ + ]

Return to Mafia Discussion