Commonly Asked Questions on Mafia Theory

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:28 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

A tie on 0 is almost impossible in practice (especially as people would be worried about votes just before the deadline to snipe the elimination), and anything else is resolved deterministically.

Arguably, it might be better to let the scum choose secretly in the case of a tie, but in practice the exact rules don't matter much and there probably isn't need to go to extremes like that.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
KittyTacky
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
KittyTacky
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:48 pm

Post by KittyTacky »

Is there a way to balance a SK in a large-ish (15-17 players) non-multiball game? I want to host one off-site and I want the SK to have a decent chance (maybe slightly lower than maf/town but still a massive threat). I'm fine with stacking lots of multitasking actions and a bunch of modifiers, but is there a more elegant way than making a ridiculously-stacked role?
If u dont elim me today, you are Minecrafters
~Vasex
When i open this game, and starting read, i immediatly close it because i starting strongly consider self last townie alive and others are just jesters.
~Enchant
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:38 am

Post by Gypyx »

well, an SK doesn't need to be that strong really, i'm no expert, but there has been quite a few succesful SK games here so i'd advise checking those
bottom text
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:31 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 251, KittyTacky wrote:Is there a way to balance a SK in a large-ish (15-17 players) non-multiball game? I want to host one off-site and I want the SK to have a decent chance (maybe slightly lower than maf/town but still a massive threat). I'm fine with stacking lots of multitasking actions and a bunch of modifiers, but is there a more elegant way than making a ridiculously-stacked role?
If it's a Theme-ish type of game, let them pick up power roles from the other players somehow (the simplest approach is to gain the powers of players they kill, but you often see more interesting variations). That's the mechanic that's produced some of my favourite SK incidents, because it lets them become something of a mastermind later in the game if they survive the early game.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:41 am

Post by Ythan »

The fun of being third party can make up for a small disadvantage.
Cook
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Cook
She
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:01 am

Post by Cook »

In post 251, KittyTacky wrote:Is there a way to balance a SK in a large-ish (15-17 players) non-multiball game? I want to host one off-site and I want the SK to have a decent chance (maybe slightly lower than maf/town but still a massive threat). I'm fine with stacking lots of multitasking actions and a bunch of modifiers, but is there a more elegant way than making a ridiculously-stacked role?
If you have kill flavors, make the SK cremate its victims so that they only flip to the SK initially, then flip to everyone at a later date, and grant the SK a 1-Shot of each of the killed player's abilities. Combine with multitasking, could work.
Shirou
Shirou
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Shirou
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Post by Shirou »

I think the SK being immune to investigatives and also being a 1-shot or 2-shot BP is enough to give it a fair chance of winning although a bit lower than town/mafia.

The suggestion of them gaining the powers from their kills isn't bad either, but I do think that depending on the setup or if the SK can stack up powers, that may be a bit too powerful in late-game.

Only my opinion though.
いつだってヒーロー。

"listen i know its funny to say shirou is scum but shirou is just literally crazy"
~Firebringer on town!Shirou
"Not if it was Volpe's PLAN all along that we lim him and when he flips red we think Wooper is scum"
~town!Norwee jokes about scum!Shirou's actual plan
(Aka Volpe14)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”