Commonly Asked Questions on Mafia Theory

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
LicketyQuickety
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: May 14, 2015
Location: No man's land.
Pronoun: He

Post Post #150  (ISO)  » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:52 pm

In post 149, Not_Mafia wrote:Nothing should be compulsive


Interesting. That would mean a different game then.
"...(I also think that meta-diving LQ proves that he's a "non-traditional" player (whatever that means) more than his words do)." ~Nachomamma8
Surreptitious II: Secrecy and Misdirection is in the works.
Wiki up to date.

Ircher
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: November 09, 2015
Pronoun: He

Post Post #151  (ISO)  » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:54 pm

I disagree with Not Mafia.

Some roles should be compuslive, specificly, Visitors should be compuksive otherwise players would never use the ability.
Select novels I've read (and ratings): Of Mice and Men (5), Jane Eyre (1), Fahrenheit 451 (7), Lord of the Flies (7.5), To Kill a Mockingbird (6), Brave New World (8), And Then There Were None (7), The Once and Future King (8.5), The Right Stuff (4), Into the Wild (8), Unbroken (8), The Great Gatsby (5.5), The Picture of Dorian Gray (5.5), The Time Machine (7)

LicketyQuickety
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: May 14, 2015
Location: No man's land.
Pronoun: He

Post Post #152  (ISO)  » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:58 pm

In post 151, Ircher wrote:I disagree with Not Mafia.

Some roles should be compuslive, specificly, Visitors should be compuksive otherwise players would never use the ability.


You're missing something tho.. As a hider, if you don't hide, that opens you up to be targeted. I just think that because hider can hide behind Scum and die because of it means it should be compulsive.
"...(I also think that meta-diving LQ proves that he's a "non-traditional" player (whatever that means) more than his words do)." ~Nachomamma8
Surreptitious II: Secrecy and Misdirection is in the works.
Wiki up to date.

Ircher
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: November 09, 2015
Pronoun: He

Post Post #153  (ISO)  » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:13 pm

I said nothing about hider specificly. I just said some roles pught to be compulsive by default.
Select novels I've read (and ratings): Of Mice and Men (5), Jane Eyre (1), Fahrenheit 451 (7), Lord of the Flies (7.5), To Kill a Mockingbird (6), Brave New World (8), And Then There Were None (7), The Once and Future King (8.5), The Right Stuff (4), Into the Wild (8), Unbroken (8), The Great Gatsby (5.5), The Picture of Dorian Gray (5.5), The Time Machine (7)

LicketyQuickety
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: May 14, 2015
Location: No man's land.
Pronoun: He

Post Post #154  (ISO)  » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:15 pm

In post 153, Ircher wrote:I said nothing about hider specificly. I just said some roles pught to be compulsive by default.


My mistake, sorry.
"...(I also think that meta-diving LQ proves that he's a "non-traditional" player (whatever that means) more than his words do)." ~Nachomamma8
Surreptitious II: Secrecy and Misdirection is in the works.
Wiki up to date.

Infinity 324
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: April 07, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #155  (ISO)  » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:05 am

The fact that hiders die when they hit scum is the whole point pretty much. It acts like a cop if you crumb your target
Show

drealmerz7
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: February 09, 2016
Location: earth
Pronoun: He

Post Post #156  (ISO)  » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:11 pm

I love the compulsive modifier, it should be used more!

Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: May 12, 2016
Location: 221B, Baker Street
Pronoun: He

Post Post #157  (ISO)  » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:26 am

What result should a follower get if they target a JK?
Show

callforjudgement
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: September 01, 2011

Post Post #158  (ISO)  » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:57 pm

In post 157, Shadow_step wrote:What result should a follower get if they target a JK?

Normally it's ruled as "protective + intefering". Admittedly, that doesn't leave much guessing as to what the role was.

In Normals, a Follower actually sees a "jailkeeping" action being performed; it's a category of its own there. (This might or might not have been intentional, but it certainly helps to resolve arguments.)
scum · scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn · town

Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: May 12, 2016
Location: 221B, Baker Street
Pronoun: He

Post Post #159  (ISO)  » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:09 am

Thanks. In non normals, MOD discretion can be used right?
Show

callforjudgement
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: September 01, 2011

Post Post #160  (ISO)  » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:13 pm

Indeed, in queues other than Normal, Open, and Newbie (and there are no Followers in Newbie games at the moment), it would be up to the mod as to exactly how they wanted their Followers to work. (Although returning something very out of place, like "communicative", would likely be treated as bastard.)
scum · scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn · town

dw_
Watcher
 
Joined: November 08, 2016
Pronoun: He

Post Post #161  (ISO)  » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:02 am

Is the mafia factional kill compulsive?
I help run some games on another website. Typically we've made it non-compulsive but we've run into issues with a 4-player MyLo where town's best play is to no lynch to coerce the mafia into killing at night, and the mafia's best play is not to kill to coerce town into lynching from the four living players resulting in the game stalling.
I had a brief search but could find no documentation on the subject.

Apologies if this is not the correct place to ask this.

Cheery Dog
Kayak
 
User avatar
Joined: July 01, 2012
Location: OMG BALL!
Pronoun: They

Post Post #162  (ISO)  » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:02 am

The factional kill is not compulsive, unless it's something that is demanded by the setup in particular.

Generally a stalled game like that will either have a 'Happily Ever After' or a 'Rocks Fall; Everybody Dies' ending to it, because nobody is wanting to make that move after a few phases.
One of the factions will either decide to risk it for the win, or they'll all settle for the draw/lose.
Life is always what it seems.

callforjudgement
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: September 01, 2011

Post Post #163  (ISO)  » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:45 am

Most non-role-madness setups benefit from a compulsive Mafia kill (nearly all the situations in which the Mafia would choose to no-kill imply that something is broken in either the current state of the setup or in the win conditions; the 3:1 standoff is a common example). However, making the kill compulsive is not standard.
scum · scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn · town

Radical Rat
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 22, 2015
Location: Space Colony ARK
Pronoun: He

Post Post #164  (ISO)  » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:36 am

I personally hate compulsiveness as an actual mechanic, as I feel it limits the strategies that can be used by scum factions and/or PRs, particularly in closed games.

Example being Mafia choosing not to kill, then using a Roleblock fakeclaim to push a lynch on a player who was previously a universal townread.
Or an SK who refrains from killing to hide the existence of an SK until ready to make their move.
Or on the Town side, a bus driver who chooses not to bus to allow other PRs to use their roles confidently.

Modifiers should only affect the actual ability/power of the role, not the player's agency.

callforjudgement
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: September 01, 2011

Post Post #165  (ISO)  » Sun May 07, 2017 6:41 pm

The problem is Mafia choosing not to kill in situations where they can't reasonably fake anything other than a no-kill, just to waste the town's time. That happens more often than it should.
scum · scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn · town

drealmerz7
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: February 09, 2016
Location: earth
Pronoun: He

Post Post #166  (ISO)  » Sat May 13, 2017 6:57 am

In post 165, callforjudgement wrote:The problem is Mafia choosing not to kill in situations where they can't reasonably fake anything other than a no-kill, just to waste the town's time. That happens more often than it should.

This is a strategic choice AND I don't see it as "wasting town's time" at all AND no NK is good for town.
balance among all things

callforjudgement
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: September 01, 2011

Post Post #167  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:43 am

No nightkill is not good for town in 3:1. Town will nearly always just no-lynch in response (and may well have no-lynched into the situation in the first place). So far, in every case I've personally seen, the scum eventually relented first, but I'm aware that other people have run into problems where this lead to a standoff that eventually had to be resolved by moderator intervention.
scum · scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn · town

Fresh
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: September 12, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #168  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:30 am

I'd like to ask a question for anyone willing to answer.

Say I choose target for motion detector. That target has an action but was roleblocked. Would the motion detector see that the target performed an action AND had an action performed on the target? Or just the second one since the first one was technically blocked?

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to clear up my confusion.

vonflare
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 01, 2014
Location: Yes
Pronoun: He

Post Post #169  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:18 am

you would only see the roleblock. Similarly to if you were a tracker, you would see them going nowhere, because the roleblock prevents the action from even starting.
SlappyKrust
sign up for my game at your earliest convenience
happy face day
I think I have a gtkas but im too lazy to go find it so just pretend this line is a link to my gtkas

callforjudgement
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: September 01, 2011

Post Post #170  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:35 pm

A motion detector is a binary role, so they just see "there was motion".

If you're using a role that's capable of detecting more information, such as a Tracker, the exact resolution isn't standardised as far as I know; some mods allow blocked actions to nonetheless be tracked, some mods don't. This doesn't seem to be standardised even in Normals (where it should be standardised). I'm going to ask the NRG for a ruling, because this is a clear omission in the current rules.
scum · scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn · town

mastina
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 08, 2016
Location: Between Snohomish and Monroe, WA
Pronoun: She

Post Post #171  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:06 pm

In post 170, callforjudgement wrote:If you're using a role that's capable of detecting more information, such as a Tracker, the exact resolution isn't standardised as far as I know; some mods allow blocked actions to nonetheless be tracked, some mods don't. This doesn't seem to be standardised even in Normals (where it should be standardised). I'm going to ask the NRG for a ruling, because this is a clear omission in the current rules.
My standardization is dependent on the wording of the roleblock action.

If a roleblocker's role PM specifies "causes the action to fail", the player actioning will be seen visiting, because their action happens, it just has its effect fail.

If a roleblocker's role PM specifies "prevents the action", the player actioning will not be seen visiting, because their action is prevented from having happened in the first place.

This is why I am so adamant of moderators checking the exact wording of their role PMs. This is not semantics; there are actual distinct differences in effects from word choice.

Previous
[ + ]

Return to Mafia Discussion