Commonly Asked Questions on Mafia Theory

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Remembrance
Remembrance
Mafia Scum
Remembrance
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (isolation #0) » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Post by Remembrance »

Hi, not sure if this is the place to post this but I have a question that must be pretty common.

How do you defend yourself after being accused of being scum as town? I just completed my first game and since I wasn't sure how to defend myself I went all Sun tzu and chalked it up to, "if you're accused of being scum then you're doing it wrong." So, I pretty much tried to look as town as possible and the only player who seriously tried to or even suspected me was scum. That said, when he did eventually start building a case against me, I was accused of 1. flailing and 2. ignoring his arguments/not properly addressing his points.

Generally, I could not really figure out a way to come off as "not scum" when an actual case was brought against me, so I was wondering if there is a way to address accusations and properly defending yourself.

I can't figure out a way to provide a link to the point where I started to defend myself, but that's okay because I'm just looking for some general advice. if this is not the place for this, I'll delete the post. :]
Remembrance
Remembrance
Mafia Scum
Remembrance
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (isolation #1) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:09 am

Post by Remembrance »

Just figured out how to link it, it started on this page. http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... &start=900 it concludes on page 39 (when I replace out, I replace back in later).

To make sure I understand, you're saying that I should ask them to be as clear as possible with their accusation and to try to compromise with them. You're saying I should ask because it creates evidence on the accuser and helps us hunt scum (as long as it doesn't turn into a derail)?

It's that's what you meant, then thank you. :] Still, I don't know if going for a compromise lynch/clarifying information is necessarily defending myself effectively, just helping the town hunt. In general, I thought there were two parts to a defense: acting pro-town when under pressure and deconstructing their argument to reveal its flaws.

I guess my question is more towards the latter, in that I want to defend myself against their accusations more than I'm interested in knowing how to appear pro-town when accused by someone.
Remembrance
Remembrance
Mafia Scum
Remembrance
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (isolation #2) » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:59 am

Post by Remembrance »

I understand where you're coming from, but if that were true, we wouldn't get lynched so much. It requires more than just appearing to scum hunt and explaining your behavior, it requires convincing people that it is the case and that your version of events is the real one.

It seems like each response leads to refining my original question. :?
Remembrance
Remembrance
Mafia Scum
Remembrance
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (isolation #3) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:48 am

Post by Remembrance »

Thanks for giving all this advice guys.

1. Appeal to emotion when suspected.
2. Scum hunt and become more honest, show your reasoning and scum hunting process.
3. Get arrogant/haughty when accused of being scum.
4. If the player accusing you is reasonable, try to compromise/reason with them.
5. Ask them to clarify their argument against you to make sure everyone understands their argument.

Test response to accusation:
Post #1
LOL. No, I'm clearly town. Are you scum?
What? I'm town, iso me and check again.
Post #2 (if the pressure builds), okay, okay! Can you please clarify: This point, this point, and this point.
post #3 Alright, while I address this accusation, I'm going to remake my case for Player #1 being scum
Post #4 listed reasons player is scum.
Post#5 I think you're a reasonable guy and you have a point, but these points: point 1, point 2, are flimsy and my points are a lot stronger, we can lynch a more probable scum today.
#6 Don't kill me! I have kids to feed! :cry:

Is that about right? Thank you very much! :D
Last edited by Remembrance on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remembrance
Remembrance
Mafia Scum
Remembrance
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (isolation #4) » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Post by Remembrance »

Can you clarify what you mean by that? What's scummy about not wanting to die as town? Meta is a weak tell at best and I'd do it as either alignment. I'm town this game so if you guys don't want to lose, then lynch Leafsfail VOTE: Leafsfail. He's reaching and it's obvious he has nothing of value to contribute! :o

(I'll stop now, thanks again for the advice!).
Remembrance
Remembrance
Mafia Scum
Remembrance
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (isolation #5) » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Post by Remembrance »

Another common question: How do you play in a large game? Are there strategies that are more effective for town in large games than in small ones? Are there things you should do in large games that you shouldn't do in small ones? Thanks. :]

Return to “Mafia Discussion”