Newbie 1465 - The Rubber Duck Affair (GAME OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #17 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:18 am

Post by mastin2 »

Sorry I'm late! (Sleep. Sleeeeeeeeeep.) As a warning, my teaching methods are slightly unorthodox. (Thankfully, I have some awesome SEs here to counterbalance that; they'll be able to reign in on me by giving ya more traditional teaching. I know that NS at the very least does IC work.) I don't believe in giving you pointlessly-long rambles on subjects that have no relevance; my preferred method of teaching is honing in on the specifics that each player, personally, needs in order to succeed. To that end, I ask that every player here give their experience with the game--where you came from, what the overall play there is like, and how you approach the game. (Few coming to mafiascum.net have no experience; most are at least familiar with the game from some other source that is different.) If I know where you come from, I can better understand your perspective on the game, and how it relates to mafiascum.net.

To keep things simple, I wrote an article that, basically, boiled town, tells you that MS.net is constantly changing its site meta, thanks largely in part to the influx of newbies with their own unique flair in the game. And I want to allow your own flair (playstyle) to be as successful as it possibly can be.

I'll start off. While I can ramble on all day about it (140+ games on here), I consider my home to be mafiascum.net itself. The overall play here is exactly what I linked to in the article, but boiled down, mafiascum.net has a higher focus on 'logic' rather than on power roles. (Not so much literal logic, so much as it is reasoning.) As of 2013, there's been a large shift towards the importance of understanding the mindset behind players, and seeing
why
they've done something, and finding scum/town based off of that. Interacting with players and showing where we come from with our thoughts, typically over a period of several real-life days. (Thus, why deadlines are typically 2-3 weeks--because not everyone is online every day at the same time.)

Conveniently enough, this is also my own style of play. :P I'm also verbose (as this shows--bad habit I'm trying to break), have a bad sense of humor, and just as unorthodox a player as I am a teacher.

Your turn, now, everyone. Talk to me. Dialogs help end the RVS. (Which you're free to participate in, and I highly encourage you to do so. Personally, I share NS's disdain for it, so I choose not to, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to skip it.) Anything to 'break the ice' and get content rolling in a productive way. Be active, participate, engage with others in banter. Let's get the ball rolling.
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #21 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:30 am

Post by mastin2 »

And this is me giving examples of interacting with others actively. The best games are the ones where everyone is reasonably proactive, rather than passive/reactive.
In post 8, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:Why does he get a special welcome?

VOTE: wbo
Why did you start a wagon on wbo, ETL, especially with the above line being more appropriate for a skitzomaniac vote?
In post 15, Lord Mhork wrote:VOTE: WBO

Also hello. I am Lord Mhork, one of your SEs or 'semi experienced' players. What I am doing here is trying to help create a wagon in order to help us exit RVS, which, in my opinion, is a rather anti town stage of the game.
While I understand the intention to get out of the RVS, why a WBO vote specifically? Why did you deem a wagon to be the best way to get out of the RVS?
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #25 (isolation #2) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:36 am

Post by mastin2 »

Votecount 1.2

WBOCampfire1104 [2]:
EspeciallyTheLies, Lord Mhork

Nobody Special [1]:
WBOCampfire1104

VictorDeAngelo [1]:
skitzomaniak

skitzomaniak [1]:
Jackel98

Not Voting [9]:
Docthorr, Lord Mhork, Nobody Special, mastin2, VictorDeAngelo

With 9 alive it takes
to lynch[/i]

Deadline on the 16thJanuary at 1900 GMT ((expired on 2014-01-16 19:00:00))

And because I'm not a fast enough typist, some new responses cropped up that can give more questions.
In post 19, Lord Mhork wrote:Also to follow up on what mastin said regarding deadlines, remember that we don't have to use all three weeks. Days that are too long can hurt just as bad as days that are too short, and, frankly, deadline lynches are almost always mislynches. The best way to remedy this is just to post, discuss, talk, and reason.
Yep. I recommend basically using ~2/3rds of the deadline. That seems approximately to be the magical zone, of not too little and not too much.
I still personally disagree with the idea that if you don't like RVS, you don't post until it's over. That's super anti town. It's better to do what mastin does and at least bring something to the table to help players develop reads.
If you feel this way, why not try to get Nobody Special more involved, via interacting with him?
In post 20, VictorDeAngelo wrote:If RVS is over, guess I should VOTE: unvote.
What gave you the impression that RVS was over?

If it's over, do you have any leads? Why only an unvote, and no attempt to interact with others?
Last edited by JacobSavage on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #36 (isolation #3) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:46 am

Post by mastin2 »

And it happened again. :P
In post 24, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:We're not exactly out of RVS just yet. I haven't found anything particularly "serious-vote"-worthy.
We're not out
yet
, but we're actually getting closer. (At least, I am. Every person has their own idea of when the RVS ends.) In particular,
In post 22, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:
In post 21, mastin2 wrote:Why did you start a wagon on wbo, ETL, especially with the above line being more appropriate for a skitzomaniac vote?
I dunno :P I saw something my bf was reading on the internet last night that had WBO in it.
I have a mild townread here. I'm currently not giving the reason why because I want to facilitate learning and ask the newbies to guess--
Why do you think I have a mild townread on ETL from this post?

The SEs are free to give their own guesses, but the newbies are who this question's more directed towards, since a newbie game is meant for, well, newbies to learn how to not be new. :P
In post 23, Lord Mhork wrote:Anyway votes breed reactions which breeds interaction which is the best way to exit RVS
Yes, but that's not what I asked. I asked why you thought a wagon was the best way to get out of the RVS. (Votes are part of a wagon. Not the entirety of a wagon.) You give a partial answer above (about why you voted WBO), but I want a full answer.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #49 (isolation #4) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:00 am

Post by mastin2 »

And again. (Geez, and here I've been calling myself all this time a fast typist. Apparently, I'm instead an old grandpa. :P)
In post 27, Lord Mhork wrote:Well because what NS did wasn't scummy and a single vote anywhere in RVS is typically written off as RVS.
There's more ways of interacting with a player than voting said player. Why not talk to him, directly?
In post 29, skitzomaniak wrote:My brother introduced me to the site and I've been lurking and playing since!
Out of curiosity, do you know if your brother has a username and if so, what it is?
In post 29, skitzomaniak wrote:
In post 16, Nobody Special wrote:I loathe RVS and thus
don't participate
UNVOTE:
VOTE: Nobody Special
While NS not participating in the game itself would, in fact, be noteworthy, he meant this in the sense of not participating in the random voting stage. He's going to participate in the game, off of obligation alone.
In post 30, Lord Mhork wrote:Hang on you enjoy lurking? >.>
Lurking can also mean watching the site without playing. Plenty of people (myself included) lurked and watched many games before taking the leap and playing. Why'd you automatically assume that the lurking was in-game?
In post 32, WBOCampfire1104 wrote:^I agree, but questioning, I've seen, is a major scumtactic. Mastin fits that well.
You're actually quite correct. Questioning
is
a useful scum tactic, especially in excess. However, I'm choosing to make use of it despite being fully aware it's a useful scum tactic because I also see it as being a useful tactic for jumpstarting activity. If a game is beginning to slag off (or has just begun, like in here), asking a lot of questions is an excellent tactic for setting the pace. You have my assurance that the questions won't continue at this rate for much longer.

For instance, this isn't a question:
In post 33, VictorDeAngelo wrote:I have no leads. I'm just waiting for people to post their experience. That's what you said. And your the IC so I listened.
The awesome thing about forum mafia is a little thing called 'multitasking'. :P You can do more than one thing at a time. For instance, look at me. While I
am
waiting on people to post their experience, I am not exclusively doing just that. I am taking initiative and pursuing other things while waiting for the answers. I'd highly encourage you to do the same. Also, on a general note, the word of the IC is not law; I am not infallible. You shouldn't blindly follow me; you should use your judgment on whether following me is appropriate or not.

I've gained mild townreads on both WBO and skitzo.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #56 (isolation #5) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 39, Lord Mhork wrote:And I don't understand what you mean about a half answer. Can you try that again?
You didn't fully answer my question. You partially did, on why votes are good and why you voted on the wagon, but you didn't fully answer why you thought that the wagon would be the best way to end the RVS.
In post 40, VictorDeAngelo wrote:UNVOTE:

VOTE: WBOCampfire1104

He agrees with skitzomaniak yet votes Mastin over NS.
I actually quite like this post, too.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #75 (isolation #6) » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:24 am

Post by mastin2 »

Votecount 1.4

WBOCampfire1104[3]:
EspeciallyTheLies, Lord Mhork, VictorDeAngelo

Nobody Special[2]:
skitzomaniak, WBOCampfire1104

skitzomaniak[1]:
Jackel98

Not Voting [3]:
Docthorr, Nobody Special, mastin2,

With 9 alive it takes
to lynch[/i]

Deadline on the 16thJanuary at 1900 GMT ((expired on 2014-01-16 19:00:00))

Okay, guys, this is getting to be a bit ridiculous. Active games are good. Proactive, even. But there
is
such a thing as "too much of a good thing"; excessive activity now will near-guaranteed breed apathy later on. We need to slow things down a bit.
In post 50, Lord Mhork wrote:He's not a priority to me right now.
Serious question--
who
is
?

In post 57, Lord Mhork wrote:I answered it by saying I've had good experience ending RVS by wagoning. Is that not an answer?
It is an answer, but not as extensive an answer as I wanted. You've given a reason, but not the details behind the reason.
In post 51, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:p-edit: mastin, explain town reads on WBO and skitz?
I liked their initiative, immediately posting what looks like legitimate scumhunting. As if that wasn't enough, both of them targeted experienced players with their posting, a thing that many newbies hesitate to do. However, this is only a mild towntell because both have previous gaming experience, and thus, are not fresh-out-of-the-gate newbies. (Though, fresh-out-of-the-gate newbies aren't necessarily newbies themselves, depending on where they come from and their experience. :P One reason I ask the questions is to figure that out--while it's useful for me understanding their background for teaching purposes, it is
also
useful for me gaging their alignment.)

The WBO townread is lessened, because I did not like post 59. I'm liking Victor even more. (I'll explain in a bit.) Explanation on the mild ETL townread is also coming, but I'd again like more answers than just the one from Jackel.
Last edited by JacobSavage on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #167 (isolation #7) » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 90, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:
In post 79, Lord Mhork wrote:I don't like that you said to slow down the posting though. That's sketch, mastin. Did you draw scum IC?
If you're not calling mastin scummy for wanting people to slow down, what do you mean by the above then?
My thoughts exactly.
In post 112, Jackel98 wrote:Mastin, you aren't voting anybody. I know you are the IC, and you want to slow down the game a bit, but do you not have any scumreads? Why now I have a moderate-mild scumread on WBO, and a very mild one on Mhork.
I do, in fact, have scumreads. And coincidentally enough, on WBO and Lord Mhork, with them being moderate/mild respectively. I'm not voting, therefore, because voting WBO is dangerous and I'm not sure on Lord Mhork. It's the reason I've been focusing on him so much in my posting. (I don't think any of my posts
don't
have something relevant to Mhork. :P) I'm trying to lock a read on him down.

I'm also a bit weary of Docthorr's (lack of) contributions so far.
In post 124, skitzomaniak wrote:ETL is starting to look a little suspicious to me. She hasn't done anything with her vote since she got an early start on the WBO wagon during the beginning of RVS. She hasn't targeted anyone specifically for questioning, and it doesn't feel like she's really tried to pry anyone yet. I realize it's still relatively early, and there's been a lot of explaining stuff to newer players happening. However, a lot of her other posts have been more commentary than analysis (also known as IIoA - Information Instead of Analysis).
I have to disagree, here. When I see ETL's posting, I don't see IioA. I see information being used to pressure players further, scumhunting. In other words, drop the buzzword for a second and pay attention to what she's actually saying. Yes, it's commentary--but it's not commentary with no purpose. (What the heart of IioA is.) It's commentary that's tailored towards a specific end.
In post 154, Nobody Special wrote:I
really
want ETL to be scum (see above).
So do I, but sadly, I'm reasonably certain this is her town game. :P Her posting's been fairly solid and I haven't liked WBO at all.

Docthorr's posting on the last page, in particular, is making me think "opportunism". Doesn't like WBO (major wagon) and after multiple players express suspicion on Jackel, votes there, too.

I'm a bit pressed for time today (Friday's a busy day), but I'll have more to contribute tomorrow. (I'm admittedly mainly skimming right now; I need to give a detailed readthrough tomorrow.)
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #199 (isolation #8) » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 178, Lord Mhork wrote:Welp after my first day of posting, I've hit a low. I will post later at some point.
I did warn you about that. :P

Anyway, need a mini-declaration of V/LA--for the next two months or so, I'll be incredibly limited on my ability to play on Monday, thanks to work requirements (and college requirements, for that matter--like Mhork, started today). Don't worry; Tuesdays are free, so no problems there.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #234 (isolation #9) » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:01 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 233, skitzomaniak wrote:oof ... hope he's okay
Physically, yes. Scraped-and-bruised knee aside (plus, not a full range of movement in my left middle finger--it feels kinda sore, and wasn't that way before), not a scratch on me.

Mentally, not so much. (Nor emotionally.) I'm understandably a bit shook up. (Basically, I actually
am
suffering from PTSD. Most people think that's for some major thing like war. But I suffered severe trauma--not physical, but emotional and mental. And it's stressful. I had trouble getting to sleep last night out of a justified fear of the nightmares I knew I'd have; they did, and likely not because of self-fulfilling.)

I'll be back in action later today, most likely.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #268 (isolation #10) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 247, VictorDeAngelo wrote:Gotta reread Mhork. I actually thought his final post yesterday looked scummy.
Generally, if a person you think was really scum dies, there's going to be a really damn good reason for why.

My own thoughts are that NS is scum, not just for the hammer, but overall lack of any real scumhunting. I know that he's capable of posting more (even if what he's giving isn't much less than his standard), especially in a newbie game, and yet he's giving an incredibly lackluster performance. The hammer does help, because in addition to hammering before the claim, he also cut the day short, including by eliminating my chance to get caught up.

My current guess for a scumbuddy is either ETL or Docthorr. skitzo/vic both look town to me, and Jackel I remember looking town (though not as town). I'm slightly pressed for time, so elaboration on this will have to wait. (You'll note the lack of vote, because I've got no intention of letting someone quickhammer NS.)
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #289 (isolation #11) » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Okay. Wisdom's probably town.
In post 271, Wisdom wrote:Gut reads from skimming;

Town = {Victor, skitzomaniac, NS}
Probtown = {Jackel}
Probscum = {ETL, mastin}

VOTE: ETL
If you put NS into the scum pile and removed your damn scumread of me, your reads here would actually be remarkably in-line with my own, Wisdom.

The funny thing is, I even agree with your reasoning, except for this.
In post 279, Wisdom wrote:NS because his early play doesn't remind me of his scum-play, and the quickhammer also does not look like something scum-NS would do.
Admittedly I don't have intimate familiarity with NS's scumplay, but this doesn't remind me of his town-play and is more akin to what I remember his scumplay being. Including the quickhammer being something I would expect a scum-NS to do.
ETL's strong defending of mastin and others ticked me off. Some of her posts sounded fake. I liked her "stop voting NS" stance that she has today though.
Basically, you hated her day one but like her day two. Which is opposite to me. :P
mastin's wordy posts just always make me think he's trying to manipulate people.
So learn to read behind the wordiness.
In post 284, Wisdom wrote:
In post 75, mastin2 wrote:Okay, guys, this is getting to be a bit ridiculous. Active games are good. Proactive, even. But there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing"; excessive activity now will near-guaranteed breed apathy later on. We need to slow things down a bit.
Very much dislike this.
Scum dislike activity, because they cannot keep up and manipulate things their way. I have been personally nightkilled on N1 three times for posting too much and not letting scum control the game flow. Activity is very good for a game and certainly does not guarantee apathy later. Look at Newbie 1436 for example, which was an active game from the beginning and stayed so until the end.

So yeah, this strikes me as mastin being unable to keep up and therefore trying to slow down the game so he can control it better.
I'll be blunt as possible: you can call me scum for whatever other reasoning you'd like, but as for the above? Fuck that. Know who also dislikes excessive (key word, there!) activity? Town who cannot keep up and scumhunt. The reasons differ by alignment. Yes, as scum, I would not like a game to be too active, since I wouldn't be able to keep up and manipulate players effectively. You're ignoring the other half of the equation, though. Because, yes, I do not like games too active as town, since I wouldn't be able to keep up and scumhunt effectively.

This is some of the best damn advice I've given all game. To be active (not inactive), yet not spamposting blindly. There's a reason spamposters often have their reads ignored. There's a reason that games which're much longer are harder for town players to win. It ties back into my old parabola theory, which I've updated several times. Basically? No activity is bad. Some activity is good. More activity is better. Lots and LOTS of activity, though, becomes bad--"too much of a good thing", you could say. And it's been demonstrated in this game alone. AT LEAST one player (Mhork) was hit by the activity-bomb causing an inability to get caught up effectively. I mighta been hit a bit myself. There might be others, too. (Heck, it's fully possible Docthorr got replaced because of it. Wait, no. Check his replace-out post.
Explicitly
because of it.) I know my stuff. I know my theory. That wasn't advice from a player with an alignment. That was advice from a teacher without one.

Yes, I prefer games that have a slow enough pace that I'm actually able to think. To slow down my thoughts and process them. But while it has benefits to my scumgame, it is actually most beneficial to my town game. As scum, I don't need to get caught up; I can BS my way through anything. As town, not as much.

Also, talk to me on Vic. I've liked his posting.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #360 (isolation #12) » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 332, Jackel98 wrote:I haven't been lurking so much as stranded from the internet.
Yep, basically same thing for me. Apologies for my absence. Weekend V/LA was unfortunately quite a real V/LA this week.
In post 291, skitzomaniak wrote:On another note: ETL and mastin both sound particularly sensitive to Wisdom's scum reads for some reason.
Yep. No offense is meant to anyone here, but basically--I value Wisdom's reads over basically everyone else's. (Including my own right now, since it's been a while and I need to re-read things.) He's a damn-good scumhunter as town, and this game feels like it's a similar towngame to his last towngame, only with less insults and such. :P (Basically, his play's more refined and less...shall we say, unkind to others, with greater focus. But still the same vibe about him overall as a person. Now, granted, I don't actually have experience with his scumgame, but this still feels like his towngame.)
In post 298, skitzomaniak wrote:The fact that you don't want to defend yourself feels wrong though...
Bit of an IC note, but in general, I don't recommend focusing on defense anyway. A little here and there can be okay if it's used to actually address concerns rather than argue (which ETL's posting seemed closer to, thus one reason I'm thinking she could be scum), but for the most part, focusing on the defense is a scum-oriented goal (not getting lynched), whereas focusing on finding the scum and offense is a town-oriented goal (lynching scum).

I'm not liking what I'm seeing from Victor right now.
In post 306, Wisdom wrote:I like that you're defending mastin, it makes me think you're not his buddy. I am actually thinking you're scum with ETL.

UNVOTE:
Quite possible.

I'm short on time for today (honestly, I should have been in bed an hour and a half ago at minimum; I get up in 3.5 hours and have a looooooooooooong day tomorrow), so this is mostly a quick skim of things. I owe you all much more than this.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #397 (isolation #13) » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:45 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 395, sthar8 wrote:Mastin- are you actually playing in this game?
Not as much as I should be, given my status as the IC. Lurking as much as I have sets a
very
bad precedence for the newbies, and I've been doing a fair share. (Well, actually, not so much 'lurking' as it is "fuck, I forgot about that game", in that I generally can remember most of the games I'm in, but for whatever reason, cannot actively keep this game in my mind. Which, again, is a bad example that I need to try and break. :P) The game's moving relatively slowly; I should be here more to speed it up with more productive posting. (My content thusfar today has largely been shallow instinctive reactions; I haven't been doing the proactive aggression that I should be, in part because I've lost my focus.)
In post 361, skitzomaniak wrote:What did you mean by this bit:
mastin2 wrote:A little here and there can be okay if it's used to actually address concerns rather than argue (
which ETL's posting seemed closer to
, thus one reason I'm thinking she could be scum)
Do you mean to say that it sounds closer to a reasonable amount of defense? Or do you mean that it sounds more like arguing?
More like arguing, yes. Though that said, given her replace-out, it's probably a nulltell.
In post 362, Jackel98 wrote:Mastin, what did you mean when you said this:
mastin2 wrote:I'm not liking what I'm seeing from Victor right now.
Exactly that? Not sure how there's ambiguity, there. :P I haven't been liking the posts Victor's been making.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #471 (isolation #14) » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:42 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 398, skitzomaniak wrote:I'm not sure why her replace-out makes this less suspicious. Do you mind explaining? Blatantly refusing to acknowledge a case against her, and then using what was essentially an ad hominem argument to justify it feels icky.
Basically, that her compromised emotional state means that the move was likely null--neither town nor scum, and that her slot should be based off of other merits.

I'm leaning towards a Victor vote, but obviously, am holding back.
In post 402, VictorDeAngelo wrote:I too would like to know what your issue with my posting is?
Basically, your posting feels slightly survivalistic, and mostly focused on getting mislynches rather than on lynching scum.

sthar8's entrance post came off to me as all kinds of wrong (especially with the lynch/flip as it is), so I'm thinking he could be the buddy.
In post 425, sthar8 wrote:This is SE advice: You're my strongest read. I need to convince others to vote you. I do
not
need to undermine that process by expressing doubt.
This is IC advice: Your Mileage May Vary, and in my case, I take the opposite stance. Doubt can be expressed--not to undermine the read, but to enhance it. Think of it as a scientific theory--you show not only why you think your theory is true, but also why the opposing theory likely isn't true. In gaming terms, "While he
could
be *alignment* because of *reason*, I don't think so, because *reason said reason isn't true*. I think he's *other alignment*, because *reasons*."

My working theory right now is that Victor and sthar8 were distancing yesterday, with both intent to lynch someone else while creating distance for the towncred it'd bring.

shtar8's right about the overall theory behind tracker claiming and JK not, though for the wrong reasons. (Basically, he's thinking like scum rather than town.)
In post 468, Jackel98 wrote:What is popcorning?
Popcorning is claiming, and then choosing someone else to claim next. In this case, we're modifying it to be a partial claim.

I'll start.
Claim: not a tracker

I'm choosing Vic next.

More content is coming later; I'm slightly pressed for time.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #478 (isolation #15) » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:31 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 474, sthar8 wrote:
In post 471, mastin2 wrote:shtar8's right about the overall theory behind tracker claiming and JK not, though for the wrong reasons. (Basically, he's thinking like scum rather than town.)
Be specific. No need for unsupported assertion here.
Right, I'll do what I can to explain when my mind's firing at all cylinders. (It's 4:30 AM right now; I've basically been staying up all night accomplishing various chores.)
Honestly, I'd probably have mastin at the top of my list today if the nightkill didn't imply newbie-scum.
Oh? Do explain.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #493 (isolation #16) » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:43 pm

Post by mastin2 »

I need some time to cool down, which means I'm ironically enough prod-dodging until I can think in a more level-headed rational function. I'm at post 479 and will get caught up as soon as I'm back into a healthy mindset for playing. (Trust me, I'm not in one right now.)
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #499 (isolation #17) » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:09 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 479, VictorDeAngelo wrote:Where have my posts been survivalistic?
General vibe I picked up, not specific to any single post. You seem like your aim is not to lynch scum, but to prevent the lynch OF scum.
You contributed nothing to the scumhunt and didn't even lay down a single vote if I recall. You don't get to criticise my lynch choices unless you actually helped to push a wagon in my book.
I was largely V/LA during yesterday if memory serves me, and did not wish to prematurely lynch a player. My reads were in the process of changing. The day ending prematurely by someone hammering before I got the chance to change said reads would be bad.
I'm not liking these sort of comments off Mastin at all. No detail, no explanation just a accusation.
Much as I hate to use the excuse, that's really my default style. :P I do try to give more explanation for newbie games so that I can better demonstrate the more ideal play. Basically, you're assuming that there is no explanation. There always is one, just one that I chose not to give at that time.
How would either distancing myself from shtar or lynching NS gain me towncred? Surely I would look townier not supporting the wagon.
If you supported the sthar8 lynch, sthar8 could have gotten lynched right then and there. That creates a problem. If you buddied sthar8, it would also be equally problematic. Thus, why you would distance: push someone else's (mis)lynch (NS), while creating that distance between you and your scumbuddy. It's a fairly standard tactic.

...Actually, I just realized something.

You're town, aren't you, Vic?
In post 491, VictorDeAngelo wrote:Well not sure what more I should say right now but I'm getting good town vibes off sthar8 and Skitz and my feeling is we are probably looking at a Mastin/Jackel scumteam. Therefore I feel if my vote was going anywhere today it would be on either of them. Jackel is a tougher player to read being new but the paranoia over mere possibility of a Mastin/Jackel scumteam looks like it could have been a big slip. As for Mastin his activity has been low and most comments have not been backed up by facts. I would be more comfortable with a vote on Mastin over right now, so that's where I lay my pseudovote.
If my suspicion about you is correct, Vic, you're town. So you'll need to talk to me more, since I am also town. I think sthar8 is scum. And if you're not scum with him, one of sktz/Jackel is, instead, and you think it's Jackel. Jackel's mostly a null-read of mine. Skitz is mildly a townread, but not as much of one as I would prefer, so I could use more content coming from you.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #507 (isolation #18) » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:43 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 506, sthar8 wrote:Skitz, are you jack's partner?
No, but you are.

I'm waiting on Vic to be sure, but I'm reasonably certain that if I'm right, Vic's town. Skitz is town, too.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #514 (isolation #19) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 510, VictorDeAngelo wrote:In which case are you able to explain you thoughts now?
Not now-now, but yes, I can try.
Still I want to hear your thoughts now on NS and whether you think you would lynched in my shoes. In 289, you clearly think he's scum, so what would have changed your opinion of him on Day 2 if you had been present in the game?
Well, I
had
been scumreading him, but if memory serves me, near the end of the day, I was beginning to think it was you-sthar8 as a scumteam. Basically, not so much what NS did, so much as what others did in relationship TO NS, and others. While I think that I'm wrong about you-being-scum, you can get the idea of what I mean all the same: NS was a mislynch, and one the scum likely took advantage of.
What exactly happened to give you this sudden revelation about my towniness?
Uhh...how can I say this? Without making it abundantly clear? (Yes, you're right, it is a bit faked because I specifically am trying not to reveal too much.) Hmm. How 'bout this? Something in your stream of fairly-recent posting (which may or may not be something I quoted) made me realize you townslipped pretty hard? I
can
go more specific if you'd
really
prefer me to.
That said one thought, if you Sthar8 is scum as you suppose, would Jackel make sense as scumbuddy?
Well, skitz has looked pretty damn town, and I haven't seen anything that makes his connections with sthar8 look either impossible or probable. Jackel has been fairly null for the majority of the game, and I don't see anything in his connections that make that pairing look either impossible or probably. Badly worded, but you get the idea--I don't see any sthar8-*player* scumteam as being inherently more likely to be true or false. I'm mainly reading the players themselves, which in a newbie I've found to be more effective anyway. (In any other type of game, interactions are a lethally-effective tool. In a newbie, they can still be useful, but not nearly as much thanks to the inherent randomness factor newbies give.)
In post 511, skitzomaniak wrote:What about Jackel's posting is giving you a null read? What about my posts isn't as town as you would prefer? Assume for a second that we lynch sthar and he flips scum... what next? Do you push for a lynch on Jackel, or myself?
Jackel's posting has been null because I can see him posting what he has as either town or scum; it's impossible for me to tell which off of what I've got. I'm leaning towards scum, through both POE and through Jackel's weak presence today, but not strongly so. And as for you--it's not that there's anything in your posts that isn't as town as I'd prefer. It's that my read on you isn't as strong as I'd prefer. It's a townread, but it's not a super-strong townread.

As for what to do after an sthar8 lynch, the answer's simple: analyze, as always. Analyze the results of the night. (Why do you assume Victor would die, for instance?) Analyze the interactions with flipped scum. Analyze the individual players' interactions, not only with flipped scum but also flipped town (both nightkill and lynch). Analyze the dead town players, and see if they caught anything that I brushed over at the time which could have actually been important. Compile it all. Create a 'final profile' of the players, ask them questions, show my thoughts, and form my opinion off of what it all told me. Gun to my head, right now I'd say that yes, I would push for a Jackel lynch. But this is far from a certainty; the only way to know is to actually be there.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #526 (isolation #20) » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:32 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 517, VictorDeAngelo wrote:We have less than 3 days to the deadline so not now-now better be very soon.
That specific post I don't have the time to explain, but I can show more general reasons for sthar8 being scum.
I would say voting Mastin2 is our best chance of not losing today.
Helpful hint. In general, if the analysis you do points towards a player fitting as being scum on any scumteam (You've basically said that I can be scum with ANY of Sthar8/Skitz/Jackel, and to some extent, said the same of skitz), chances are, they're not scum with any of them. :P Obviously, this isn't universal. But in general? The more a player works as scum in any team, the less likely that player is to be scum at all. (This is
mainly
a multiball tell, in that a player fitting as either scumteam is likely neither, but still applies to a limited extent in a newbie. In essence, it's a variance on my "picture perfect" rule: if it looks too good to be true...it's too good to be true, and isn't. :P

I can tell you right here and now. No scumteam will ever make 100% sense. There will always be something making it look doubtful. There will always be town in scum players, and town in scum-scum player interactions. So if you think it's plain-as-day-obvious, you've got a SIGNIFICANTLY higher chance of being wrong on at least one of them. I tie this to another one of my lectures--nobody's a scumhunting god, and far too many players assume they are. :P For instance, see below.)
In post 520, sthar8 wrote:mastin has been super lurky, and that's not really an alignment tell for him. Which means that he's probably neglecting the scum qt as well. Which means that his partner picked the direction today and the kill last night. Which explains wisdom's kill, jack's push on vic, and why jack and mastin aren't in synch.

Ok, it all fits. I'm ready to vote. I want to lynch jack just in case I'm somehow terribly wrong about skitz.

VOTE: Jack
This might look good, but it's made clear it's a bus-vote meant to look good, as you can tell by this:
In post 525, sthar8 wrote:UNVOTE:

to let david catch up.
Everyone's had a chance to post in the window, and yet there was no quicklynch on Jackel. Thus, a town-him would assume that Jackel was confscum. A scum-him already knows Jackel's alignment (scum), and thus, unvotes, to have an excuse to, say...vote me if needed.

/busy, so more later.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #532 (isolation #21) » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:43 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 528, imkingdavid wrote:That's getting dangerously close to WIFOM, or reverse psychology, or something along those lines, and use of those types of logic to make a point reeks of scum.
Except I was teaching with that comment. It's good advice to keep in mind. Far. FAR. Too many times in my career, I've made that mistake, myself. Whenever I see a player as being scum, and scum with any/most of the remaining players in the game, it means that I've done something horribly wrong in my analysis, and need to re-think it. Yes, the player
can
be scum. But my experience really is that they're far less likely to be scum. Impossible, no. It does happen. But it's at the VERY least a warning sign of being too narrow-minded. Even if they
are
scum, not everyone in the game's going to be their scumbuddy, and if I think that anyone could be their scumbuddy, that means that I've gone wrong in my analysis and need to reevaluate. When reanalyzing, I might still conclude they're scum. But when doing so, I'll have a much firmer grasp of reality. Not only will my read BE stronger, but it'll be better-reasoned, more accurate, and further refined, making it easier for me to convince others. Furthermore, because I took that second look at things, I'll have a MUCH better grip on who their scumbuddy would be--yeah, maybe I still have it as theoretically possible for anyone to be their scumbuddy...but typically, this second look at things will give me a much better idea of probability, allowing me to sort into "sure, THEORETICALLY possible, but INCREDIBLY improbable" and "very likely" at the very least.

To put it another way. You can be accurate, but you're rarely as accurate as you assume you are, and when looking at your reasoning, you often find why: because you're not thinking as clearly as you should be. Nobody's a scumhunting god. Assuming that you've suddenly found scum and not pausing can be a lethal mistake. You're allowed to assume you've found scum...but you should constantly be reanalyzing that thought to make sure it holds true, that it's not, say, confbias. And in my experience, thinking a player fits as scum regardless of scumteams is exactly a warning sign of that: confbias.

I guess it'd be most accurate to say that, yes, thinking a player is scum regardless of team is not an indicator of their alignment...but it is an indicator (warning sign) of the person thinking that's mindset. If a player like Vic takes my advice and still concludes I'm scum, that's fine. It's wrong, and we'll both be mutually disappointed in the outcome as a result. :P But fine from a perspective of growth. Because though he ultimately still arrived at the wrong conclusion, at least he was trying to find the right one. It'd be a learning experience far more meaningful, too, as he learned what he did wrong and I learned more about what I did wrong. (I learn just as much as newbies when teaching.) Sure, yeah, if he just assumed me scum, he could still learn from the mistake. But the lesson would be far less effective. People learn the most when they're actually trying to learn, and consistently running through more or less the process I outlined is one of the first steps in the learning process. It makes it much easier to hone in on the problems and fix them, for both parties.

tl;dr: That lesson was not meant to gain me an advantage. If it did, then it's coincidental, and was not intentional, for the aim was not driven by alignment, but rather, by teaching. I actually quite like skitz's wording:
In post 529, skitzomaniak wrote:I think it may be more accurate to say: "If someone you suspect is acting like they are everyone's scum buddy, you probably need better reasons than just that to accuse them of being scum." I don't think it necessarily precludes them from BEING scum, but if the only pieces of evidence you have are their interactions with other players, then if those interactions are relatively uniform, it would make it much harder to tell for sure where their alignment lies.
Says it more elegantly than I did, butyeah, basically that.
Anyway, without saying it, you've just said you can't be scum because you are able to be paired with just about anyone. Yeah... no.
As I said--if I was using this as a player, I'd say this explicitly. But I'm not. Because that wasn't my aim. It just so happens to be true.
If your reasoning for him being scum is based interactions with an assumed scum (me), even if I'm scum and get lynched and we get to Day 4, there's a potential for a mislynch if he isn't scum.
You assume that my reasoning for either of you being scum is because of each other, when you're scumreads individually AND interactively.
I will end by saying that if I
had
to place a vote right now, it would be on mastin, and that I think that one of (but not necessarily both) mastin or sthar8 is scum.
Yep, Jackel's slot was scum with sthar8. They're both doing the exact same thing: creating an act. An act where they make one another look like they can't be scum together, while both having a lylo target in mind. (Me.) Vic suspects me more than anyone else, and is inclined to vote that way. Having just a little bit of encouragement is all it'd take.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #535 (isolation #22) » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:08 am

Post by mastin2 »

Vic, short on time--saw 531 (and my pedit just showed some new posts), but will not have the chance to read and respond to it 'til later today.

I'd like to add another disclaimer to 532. While you can trust my teachings to be without alignment bias (I would NEVER intentionally use them to gain an advantage), you should take note that, once again, my teachings are never going to be universal. They're my personal experience, and make a good guideline, but are neither absolute nor universal. In general, they contain good tips that will serve you well, but I'd recommend a bit of a "pick and choose" approach, in that while most of what I say will be good, you're free to disagree with some of it and use your own opinion. Plenty of others do, too. Just know that if you discard most or all of it, you're going to end up as a much weaker player, because my experience is experience well-learned. :P
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #537 (isolation #23) » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:29 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 531, VictorDeAngelo wrote:That's OK it's not like we're in lylo and I'm pushing for your lynch. Oh wait, scratch that we are in lylo. And there's only a few days on the clock. And I am pushing for your lynch. So at this point I feel that I have given you enough opportunity to talk to me about sthar8 and you'll have to look elsewhere if you want support for a sthar8 wagon.
Well, it's something that we can talk about, but then can I interest you in a lynch on Jackel's slot? Still scum, but gives me more time to vocalize my issues on sthar8.
I agree it's a safe conclusion that either Jackel/idk or sthar8 is scum. The problem....
Is that you're not thinking both can be. :P
In fact I think town!Mastin would actually believe that scum!sthar8 would be putting a hasty vote on Jackel hoping a town would hop on so his buddy would quickhammer.
Except voting doesn't work that way? Not normally, anyway. You don't get a quicklynch on town by having a town player be one of the two causing it to be a quicklynch. Not in any game I've been in, anyway. Town might vote town, and scum will then hammer, but they're not going to vote immediately after a scum vote on town.
At the very least you should have considered the possibility that sthar8 was pushing for the win toDay rather than building up towncred for tomorrow.
You assume these two are mutually exclusive, when in fact I'm pushing that he's doing
both
In post 533, VictorDeAngelo wrote:I am of the opinion an experienced town player wouldn't do that.
I hate to bring up self-meta, but I have time to kill. A quick skim of my recent games (not all hydra games will be included) can show you I did similar in Gundam SEED: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p5343817
Sorta did it here: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p5594479 (But that's more an example of town apathy which I've also done this game)
Did it a fair amount in Death Note: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 9#p5472758 (It should be obvious which posts are mine),
In Touhou: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p5425964 (Fairly typical game)
And a particularly-relevant game, Antihero. (Where scum-ETL even got ticked off at me for
specifically this reason
.) http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p5408102

All of that from less than ten minutes of searching. Yes, I do in fact lay down comments without justification as town. I've said as much. Is it a good habit, no. Is it a good example, no. Is it something I should try to fix, yes. Is it something I can fix overnight, though? Also no. I'm trying. Sometimes it comes easily, but other times not so much.
In post 534, VictorDeAngelo wrote:This post is the most detailed and enthused Mastin has looked all game. Why is the energy being used to explain why he isn't scum not going into convincing me sthar8 is scum?
Uh...that post was quite explicitly not defending myself? It was me teaching. And, yes, teaching is what I am most enthusiastic about. The bits in the post which weren't teaching weren't defense--they were offense; I was pushing sthar8 and Jackel's replacement in those sections.
I will try to give this game one more reread after dinner just in case but right or wrong I am still convinced I will be putting a vote on Mastin today.
And that's all I ask for. (Though, asking questions of me never hurts. :P)
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #542 (isolation #24) » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:40 am

Post by mastin2 »

Vic, I'm here. Give me time to type.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #544 (isolation #25) » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:18 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 538, imkingdavid wrote:Please provide said scumreads.
I'll be honest: the scumread on you mainly comes from...well, you. Jackel didn't make a strong impression one way or another. He was largely null. Null-scum off of POE (Vic being town and skitz being a townread), but otherwise, his content didn't make me lean one way or the other. (I can point out why if you
really
insist, but basically, it's exactly that: some town stuff, some scum stuff, overall balancing out.) However, your posting has been entirely scum-motivated. You've come in, and done nothing but cast suspicion onto me. When Vic was already casting suspicion onto me. It only takes one town player voting a town player in order to have the scum win today. And you're encouraging his doubt on me, by focusing heavily on me, and largely having other players as an after-thought. Because they're not important. Skitz isn't the player you need voting me. sthar8 isn't the player you need to convince to vote me. The only player you need to convince is Victor, and your entire analysis is basically targeting specifically him.

This is also why sthar8 is your secondary focus--because he's Vic's secondary focus as well. By casting a secondary suspicion onto sthar8, you play off of Victor's own analysis. It was available last page, so you having read it would clearly have it visible in front of you. Basically, everything you've done is essentially a rehash of what Vic's been pushing, just reworded. Thus, why you're scum.

As for why you're scum with sthar8 specifically, that's once again because while you've done analysis on him, you have absolutely zero intention on voting him. Your points against him are valid, but noticeably weaker than your points against me, because you don't want Vic to change his mind and lynch sthar8. That would be MASSIVELY inconvenient for you. (See below for my theory why, Vic.) You want him on me.
In post 539, imkingdavid wrote:Does it bother anyone else that mastin has 24 posts in 22 pages (that's slightly more than one post per page)? To put that in perspective, NS had 24 posts until his last one before he died on page 18.

NS was a lurker. mastin is an active lurker. (by "active" I mean he has "content" in his posts, unlike NS) His first 8 posts occur over the first two IRL days of the game, and his most recent 4 occur over the past two days, leaving the other 12 for the rest of the ~5.5 weeks. Granted, he did have that car crash that put him out from the 8th to the 14th of January. He did say he'd post more on the 8th, but I won't hold it against him given the apparent IRL circumstances.
You try to use my activity against me, yet
you point out the very things that are the reasons for it
. Keen observers will note another important change to my profile, and the accident was the trigger for me sorting that out.
#36/3 - townread on ETL... why again? I think I missed the reasoning
At the time, I was holding it back for two reasons. The first as a teacher: to see how good the players were at figuring things out on their own. The second, as a way to gather reactions: to see what others thought of me and thought of ETL. I later gave reasoning, though I forget what it was and in what post.
So if you remove his IC role, you see a guy suspicious of a lurker but unwilling to place a vote on anyone. He finds Vic, Skitz, Wisdom, and myself protown, while he finds ETL and NS scummy, but he is unwilling to vote either of them.
My hesitance to vote NS was justified, given that he was at L-2 at the time I would have been voting. I would have been L-1, and he easily could have been mislynched right then and there. By the time I would have been ready to vote NS, I no longer suspected him--I was looking at Vic and sthar8 at the time, but didn't vote. (I don't remember why I didn't. I'd have to check, but I believe it was either that I was in a rush to post my thoughts and it slipped my mind, or that I wasn't sure and wanted to check my facts, or a combo of the two.)
#289/11 - "I've liked [Vic's] posting"
#360/12 - "I'm not liking what I'm seeing from Victor right now"
#397/13 - "I haven't been liking the posts Victor's been making."
Yes, it's called an evolving read. I liked Victor's earlier posting. They seemed town. His later posting on day two did not seem town, and I became suspicious of it.
Finally explains that Victors posts feel "survivalistic", but doesn't give any examples. I understand the no vote here, since it's LyLo. Says sthar8/Vic were distancing Yesterday, but lacks examples of what gave him that impression.
I could give examples of Vic's posts being survivalistic, but it's kinda pointless now that I know the reason why. (It was town-survivalism, rather than scum-survivalism.) As for sthar8-Vic distancing, it's not something that is specific to any single post--just their general banter that seemed that way. It's fully possible to quote them, but again, not much point since I no longer believe it possible.
In post 540, VictorDeAngelo wrote:I have not completely ruled out a Jackel/sthar8 team but I think a Jackel/sthar8 team have a safer path to victory today rather than a bus.
The problem with this logic, Vic, is that if you have a scumteam that doesn't involve skitz, there's scum bussing regardless. :P I think it's sthar8 and Jackel/IKD. sthar8's pushing me and Jackel/IKD. IKD is pushing sthar8 and me.
I'm also struggling to work out why sthar8 would be so keen to bus his scumbuddy Day 2 when there likelier mislynches. As he points out the jailkeeper is in play and the potential of the role to be investigative is far stronger if there one scum remaining.
Unless sthar8 is the scum roleblocker. You forget about that role factoring into the game, Vic. The scum can lose the goon, block the JK, and kill who they please. (You.) The scum can't lose the roleblocker.
I'm lost at what you're trying to say here. A quicklynch would involve a townie following sthar8 onto the Jackel wagon and then sthar8's scumbuddy quickhammering.
Yeah, except...that's not likely to happen. Not in general. Town players like to take their time, and are not prone to recklessly voting in lylo. (Okay, some are, but the majority aren't.) And certainly not specific to this game. A scum sthar8 can read the gamestate, and correctly conclude that he can vote a player, and immediately unvote that same player with an excuse, and have there be no consequence. This applies regardless of Jackel's slot's alignment. The reason changes, the results do not. Voting town? Reason for unvoting is to not force a 1v1 between the two that he could very well lose: keeping his options open. Voting scum? Reason for unvoting is to not force a 1v1 between two scum players, and to keep a mislynch open on a town player. This is what I find to be more likely, both off of the individual players, their interactions, and the tone of the unvote.

Let's deal with the other players to illustrate it. I've been hesitant to vote the entire game; that's not going to change with me recklessly voting. You're more willing to vote me than Jackel's slot, and thus, aren't likely to vote Jackel after sthar8 does. Jackel's certainly not going to vote for Jackel. The only player who could is skitzo, and I don't think that particularly likely: skitz hasn't been the most active player (he's been around, but not been as around as everyone else), and if town (which I think he is) has been taking his time, not making a premature judgment.

Thus...who'd vote Jackel? Absolutely nobody.
Um, they are exclusive, either he's pushing for a townlynch toDay and hence trying to win or he's bussing his scumbuddy and looking for the win tomorrow.
I'll be blunt, here. You're wrong. This isn't black-and-white, "he can or can't do this; he must do one or the other". Smart scum play isn't to put all your cards into a single basket. Smart scum play is
not
to go for one clearly, rather than the other. Are you familiar with risk-reward analysis? To put it simply...doing one or the other? Both have a HUUUUUUUGE risk to them. Both have only a moderate reward to them. If either pays off, sure, yeah, victory. But both have a HIGH failure rate. If anything were to go wrong, his plan would have backfired.

So, instead of committing everything to one or the other, he balances it out by doing...both. This is smart scum play. There's minimal risk. If the win happens, great! If it doesn't, he hasn't screwed himself over in 3p lylo, and can point out his posting to "prove" that he's not scum. That's still a large reward. It's simple, basic scum strategy. A fundamental of the game. If you deal in "is or isn't possible", you're near-guaranteed to fail. Because just like no player will ever be 100% scum and no scumteam will never make 100% sense...no plan will be 100% one or 100% of another. Smart scum play is having
options
, and both sthar8 and IKD have left themselves with plenty. Heck, both could in theory mislynch skitz, since I don't recall them taking a strong stance there recently, either. Because they're both playing the same game.
Your style might change game but game but even when you take a post out you seem to explain yourself to some degree evn it's just "If you're expecting reasons for the ping, too bad. I have none. Pure gut. :P" or something like that (mini 1515 for reference).
Well, you might not be able to see it as clearly, but it's still here. Sometimes, not explaining was intentional. Other times, on restraints (particularly, time). And when it comes to sthar8, difficulty in verbalizing it. (Which, unfortunately, does happen from time to time.) But I'm explaining things right here and now. To the best of my ability, anyway. (It's still difficult for me to explain sthar8. It just...is.)
All I got was:
"Yep, Jackel's slot was scum with sthar8. They're both doing the exact same thing: creating an act. An act where they make one another look like they can't be scum together, while both having a lylo target in mind. (Me.) Vic suspects me more than anyone else, and is inclined to vote that way. Having just a little bit of encouragement is all it'd take."
as offence. Which basically says it's all an act but still it's little more than you expressing a feeling.
Well, yeah, that's what the post was boiled down. sthar8 is a scumread. IKD is a scumread. Both have interactions with one another suggesting they're the scumteam.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #546 (isolation #26) » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:32 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 545, VictorDeAngelo wrote:Yes but everyone should two players which they think are scum at this point, but players have one vote. Sthar8 is pushing you and IKD, so would should I jump to conclusion he's bussing IKD and looking to make you the last lynch tomorrow as opposed to it being the other way around?
Because of how he voted and then unvoted? (As noted, not so much the vote/unvote itself, so much as it is the way he did it and the timing.)
But that only works if the choice was between losing ETL or losing Jackel. Both myself and NS were also in the line of fire, so why does Sthar8 go after a buddy and ignore two possible town lynches?
To look good. The vote didn't stay. He didn't commit. But be honest. That vote made you think they can't be scumbuddies, right? In spite of the fact that he removed it and never intended to keep it there? I'd say that's plenty reason to do it.
At the end of the day we have two options; either he's bussing a scumbuddy or he's pushing a mislynch. Jackel is not simultaneously town and scum; he's one or the other.
So which is it? Was Sthar8 trying to bus Jackel for the towncred or was he trying to get the winning mislynch?
If you want to oversimplify the manner to these terms...bussing for towncred. Jackel's slot isn't town. But as mentioned, it's not that simple. sthar8 unvoted. Because he's keeping his options open. He
can
bus his scumbuddy again by voting IKD. He can also aim for a game-winning mislynch by voting elsewhere. As I said, look at his vote and then his unvote. Does it honestly look like he ever intended to keep it there? No, it doesn't, because he always intended it not to.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #548 (isolation #27) » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:44 am

Post by mastin2 »

In post 547, VictorDeAngelo wrote:If we don't have a stahr8/Ikd scumteam and Skitz is town then by PoE I have to beleive your scum:
Well, since I'm fairly certain that's the scumteam, then this is game. Sorry to disappoint you.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #555 (isolation #28) » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:57 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 553, imkingdavid wrote:Fair enough.

Well, I think I'm going to go to bed at a reasonable time today. So with that, I shall:

VOTE: mastin2
Vic, if you get in here before sthar8 does, there's still a chance that we can avoid the mislynch, here.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #556 (isolation #29) » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:59 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Butyeah. IKD's scum. sthar8's scum. Skitzo's town.

VOTE: imkingdavid.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #568 (isolation #30) » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:42 am

Post by mastin2 »

Jacob, please do release the mafia QT. It's not as good as I'd like (my presence there was not as strong as it should've been for a scum IC), but it has at least
some
good things that should be read.
In post 558, imkingdavid wrote:And yes, I was jailkeeper. Jackel targeted Nobody Special on N1 and sthar8 on N2.
Waitwat?

The whole reason I didn't go after Vic in lylo is because I had an "Oh, crap" moment when I realized he 'was' the jailkeeper. :P

(So, yes, Vic. I did. :P Your whole exchange with sthar8 on day three in particular. When I read it, I saw it as being "jailkeeper admitting they used their JK as a protect rather than a block".)

Anyway...I do have post-game notes mostly written, but they're not complete, yet, and need to be edited. (I caught wind of some parts in the message not coming across clearly.) I'll start off by saying this, though, Vic: basically the entirety of my post-game notes are going to be saying the same thing: well-done. :P I legitimately thought we were absolutely screwed.

A similar congratulations to IKD, too. You seem to be a bit behind the times on site meta (this will bite you in the ass in future games if you don't learn to adapt--I'll try to help ya in my notes), but that didn't stop you from doing awesomely, either. If I were town, I would have had the same reaction Wisdom did: you obvtownned up the slot. :P
In post 564, skitzomaniak wrote:bah - that's the pairing i was most afraid of XD GG all. Still got a lot to learn
Don't feel bad, skitzo. You're actually much sharper than you give yourself credit for. Behind Vic, I considered you the most threatening newbie in the playerlist even early on in day one. I'll give more explanation in my post-game notes, but basically, your main problem isn't in reads; it's in a lack of a memorable presence. (Good for a scum-you, very bad for a town-you.) Lack of a memorable presence has some notable downsides, but one downside you might not think about is that it makes it harder for you to get accurate reads--because (so to speak) you're "out of the loop" a bit, you're going to struggle more to pin things down. Again, I'll do what I can to explain in more detail when I release my notes.
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #573 (isolation #31) » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:32 am

Post by mastin2 »

Post-game notes, part one
:

I feel the need to clarify something right from the onset: My teaching is never going to be meant to give me an advantage as an alignment, but I'm not going to let it become a disadvantage as scum, either. Thus, while my advice was given with fully-honest words (the tips I gave are good tips to keep in mind), they have to be passed through my alignment as a filter. Most of the game, this wasn't a problem, but it did come up in a couple of spots.

For instance, in 526 and the follow-through 532 (I started typing this after posting that), I encourage players to do exactly what I
do
do in my towngames: to constantly reevaluate, re-think, reanalzye, and so on. (For instance, my tip actually did apply: in
general
, a player working as scum on any scumteam isn't going to actually be scum. This is true. In this game
specifically
, it was not true.) This is good advice, because confbias really
is
a problem we have on the site. It weakens your stances, even if you're correct...as I pointed out about Victor's analysis on me. (Also, IKD's.) He came to the correct conclusion. But because his early analysis gave off the appearance of being biased (it did
initially
have some--more on that below--but Victor eventually cleaned up his act), the conclusion seemed weaker in spite of it having been correct.

I'll say it another way: By the end, Victor was making conclusions that followed my advice, because he wasn't blindly jumping in, he was analyzing, keeping an open mind, and even had damn-good reasons for having me as scum, building off one another--among them the deadly POE and effective interaction analysis. (As I said, interactions are a lethal tool, if applied properly. It's easy to go wrong, especially in a newbie, but Victor did not.) However, earlier, it appeared he was not. It's a potential warning sign for future games that I wanted to address, because it's the death of most players.

Thus, my advice. You can be a great player and be ruined by neglecting that process. Far, FAR too often a player with potential will let their ego get in the way, having had initial success as a player only to later lose it entirely in some future game. (Which is particularly relevant considering Victor was right--it's all too easy to allow that power to get to your head, and because I was most impressed with him, I wanted to ensure that didn't happen.) I'm not sure whether Vic consciously took my advice or not, but I can say that, at least on my end, it looked like there was improvement in his posting. Though not perfect, it was more refined the further into day three we went.

That said, I think you can understand why my lesson had to have a delicate balance: it needed to send off the message I wanted it to ("don't get cocky"), while also not giving away my alignment (scum), not being advantageous to my alignment (manipulating via teaching--this one, I fear I came almost to breaching and I do apologize), and also not sending the wrong message. (My post could be interpreted as "right for the wrong reasons". My intention was not that, since I liked Vic's process. It was more "don't assume your process is perfect".)

Basically, it's a lesson that I didn't think could wait until endgame to give. If I gave it then, then Vic would only be able to incorporate it into future games after this game was over. By giving it during the game, I was able to (theoretically, anyway) give him the chance to incorporate the lesson during the game, and become stronger as a player right then and there. (And I feel that, to some extent, he did. I got him thinking immediately in his response to me. I'll put another way: at the beginning of day three, Victor looked like he was thinking a little bit, but only coming to some initial preliminary conclusions. By the end of day three, Victor appeared to be REALLY thinking things through, and his conclusions felt more final.)

If you read the last paragraph of the main lesson, there, I think this comes across: Vic taking my advice and concluding I'm scum is fine: he's right, and we'd both be proud as a result. (I am!) He not only would have managed to make the right call, but do so with clarity and focus. (He did!) And even if I was town and his conclusion had been wrong, he tried to find the right one. It'd be a learning experience for me, too, allowing me to improve my scumplay, if he took this approach, because it'd more accurately give me an idea of what to focus improving on. (It did.)

And sure--if he didn't take my advice and truly think about things, he'd still learn. He got it right, after all. And if I were town, he'd still have learned from the mistake. But not as effectively. This is more or less what that paragraph was saying, but I couldn't say it this way inside the actual game without compromising my role as a player.

So if I failed to achieve the balance above, then that is a fault of mine that I need to improve on. (Striking the balance, as mentioned above, is tough, because I've got not just one or two variables, but FOUR that I need to keep in check.)

Which was one reason I made 535, to help emphasize this. An unspoken addition to that was that while I might not intentionally use my teachings to gain an advantage, I am not immune from having done so accidentally. (Which I think I did. Again, apologies for that.) Thus, it's a good idea to not read alignment in any of the teachings. If you think it's good advice, you should take it, but don't let yourself become biased about the player as a result. (Fortunately, I feel this did not happen.) It's always a good idea to also ask a scum player post-game if they meant what they said when they said a comment, too.

This isn't just for teaching, either. Often-times, a scum player inside of a game will give you criticism, perhaps pointing out a serious flaw in your play. (Maybe in an attempt to lynch you. Maybe in an attempt to not get lynched by you. Maybe both. Maybe neither.) It might be a bad idea to cater to them while the game's still going on, because they could be lying through their teeth about it. But if the game's already over, you're speaking to them as a person, not a player, and if they say that the flaw was real and not BS'd, then you have gained from them knowledge of something you need to improve.

Another way of thinking about it is to think, "Does this sound like it could be true?" Thinking about it from an unbiased, objective viewpoint, if what they said sounds like it's plausible, it might be a legitimate concern about your play that needs fixing.

My typical approach to this is to acknowledge their point regardless. (I feel like Vic did this--it certainly felt like he had, and that he
was
listening to me. For instance, 540/545/547 all progressively felt far more precise than, say, 517.) If they're town, they obviously legitimately believe it. If they're scum, they might legitimately believe it. So recognizing that it could be true is important. But if you think it might not be, then you can say as much. In fact, saying as much can even help you find the alignment of the person making the statement, theoretically anyway. (Because town seeing you acknowledge but disagree might react differently from scum seeing you acknowledge it but disagree. Again, at least in theory.)

This is all a really, really wordy lesson, but an important one, because it's one of the largest issues players have. Boiled down, I can say it like this:
Don't get arrogant with yourself,
But don't needlessly doubt yourself, either.

Most MS players have a bad tendency to give themselves too much credit, but some times, you can in fact give yourself too little. (Fortunately, in this game, neither happened. Victor gave himself exactly the credit he deserved, in this case, a lot. But it's something you ALWAYS need to be on-guard about.)

And I think above all else, above all other lessons I can give, it's that, not just to one player, but to all of them. (Though, Victor was my focus because I think he has a LOT of natural talent. It's all too easy for talent to be squandered by taking the wrong attitude.)
Know thyself. ;)

(Part two will come later. It needs even more editing.)
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #574 (isolation #32) » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:35 am

Post by mastin2 »

(Gah, I still feel that in spite of the editing, the above still doesn't have the tone it should. Sorry. ;_;)
My academy.
Agnigi
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #581 (isolation #33) » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Post by mastin2 »

In post 580, Lord Mhork wrote:Mastin I dislike the fact that you lurked so hard here though. It sets up bad habits for future newbies.
Indeed. Speaking of which, apologies for the delay. My power failed saturday night and I had work sunday, soyeah. Have had less time than anticipated. Apologies again.

I'll start this out with the experienced players.

Lord Mhork:
I know you don't want my advice, yet in a newbie game, I feel like I'd be obliged to give you some. However...I have none to give. Perhaps if I scoured your posts for miniscule details, I could find something that could possible, potentially, theoretically be of importance, but really, I have nothing to say that will help you. I think you did the best you could given the state of the game and how you were at the time. You gave a fine example of what a good town player should be doing.

Wisdom:
I also don't have much to say to you, other than...well-done. You've made significant progress since our last encounter. I've got only two points to nag you on. The first being that you're still a bit scatterbrained. :P You had me and ETL immediately upon replacing in, but again, you lost it later on. To put it another way, you got distracted by the shiney. :P

The second point I have is that you were a little bit too harsh when dealing with ETL. You weren't unjustified; she was going through a tough time that left her emotionally compromised and basically unfit to play, but you were a bit harsher than you should have been when delivering that message to her.

But these are basically nit-picky details, though, because honestly...there's nothing that I can say that will really be of use. You already know everything you need to know. You've certainly gained back my respect, and I'll say it now:
This
Wisdom, I will play another game with. This Wisdom, I admire the skill of. So once more, again all I have to say is...well-played.

Nobody Special:
Another player I don't really have much negative things to say. I already hold you in high respect and consider you an equal. At separate points in the game, you had me as scum and ETL/sthar8 as scum. You simply didn't put us together as a team. Though I guess I can start out by basically reiterating what I said in the mafia QT, in that while what I did was, in fact, not a scumtell, you reversed your read on me as if it were a towntell, which it most certainly was not.

Going through a rough patch in life, I was clearly compromised in my ability to play, and it wasn't until near the end that I began to collect myself. Meaning, that while I'd never lurk to gain advantage as scum, and never use my status to gain leverage, I also could still be read on other merits. Basically, in my (lack of) content. If you had built a case on me being scum on other merits (such as my overall refusal to vote the entire game), then you actually could have stood a fairly realistic chance of getting me lynched instead of you. (Because that
was
a valid tell. Outside lylo, a town-me ABHORS not voting. Granted, in a newbie, I will typically be more cautious with my vote, but I generally never flat-out refuse to cast it. That was a scumtell. If you pushed it on me, I'd have had very little defense.)

In other words...you had the right ideas, but the wrong focus. Me not voting, as above, was a sign of my scum alignment (more on that below), but it was not tied to lurking as I guess you'd have assumed. (It's a little bit difficult to give you exact advice, since your style being a bit minimalistic, your train of thought is not the clearest it could be.) Basically, if you do analysis, don't cast it aside off of a faulty assumption, and see if what you're thinking is actually making sense--it almost did, but it wasn't quite right because you never let it be, if that makes sense.

I will say this, though. You're dangerous as a player. Before any other player in the game, you locked onto both me and ETL, basically having done so immediately. I think one of the problems you had was that you didn't have a strong presentation. Your thoughts were hard for a newbie to guess and comprehend. I know that, in general, your posting's fairly minimalistic. (I know, so is mine, some times. :P) But while in other forums that may be fine, in a newbie, it's generally not sufficient. You don't have to post walls. But if players aren't following what you're saying (and this game, they largely weren't), then you need to put effort into bridging the gap.

This is mostly just my guess, though. I'll be honest in that I'm not really sure what I can do to help you out. You're someone that if I was town, I wouldn't have pushed, and as a result, I didn't fully grasp the reasons for your mislynch.

IKD:
So I'm not going to focus on improving your process, as much as I am on getting you up-to-speed on current site meta. Generally, site meta nowadays isn't focused on logic, as much as it is getting to know a player. Games aren't won by who can make the most logical argument (scum are actually better at this than town, generally), but by the town player who best understands each of the players in the game (both correctly reading them and swaying them to their side), and by the scum player who best understands each of the players, for a different reason (in this case, manipulating them).

The two sound different, but are actually quite similar. In fact, reasoning (I don't exactly call it 'logic') is the main driving force behind this understanding. Basically, there is a HUGE importance in explaining where your thought process comes from, and why you're seeing what you see. Pattern recognition is a big piece of this, too, in that the scum will have trends you can eventually latch on to. But there's basically no predefined tells to use; any tells are going to be player-specific. (For instance, me not voting.)

I'll put this a simpler way: town win games by trusting town and being paranoid of scum; scum win games by earning town's trust and directing paranoia to be between different town players. You put in a lot of effort into this game, and it was good effort...but to some extent, you had the same issue as skitzo just in a different way, in that...well. Your posting was all over the place. It didn't have a target audience. Though more memorable than skitzo's, your posting still came across as being more out-of-touch than it should be, and I do think this is largely that old meta in your mind.

But this is just my best guess as to what you need. I can't really say I'm sure. You're clearly a good scumhunter. Your analysis was basically right on the spot, both reads-wise and reasoning-wise. There's nothing wrong with your process, and you performed beautifully, having good activity and doing everything right. I think that, overall, it's basically that your weakness is a tone that sounds more "distant", and that in the current site meta, you'll be more successful if you learn to be more welcoming and friendly, if that makes sense.

Sorry I don't have anything more concrete. I will say this, though: had you actually claimed jailkeeper, you mighta screwed us over, so you might want to consider claiming your role in lylo if there's suspicion on you. :P

ETL:
<3
You're a great scum player who just went through a tough time in your life, and I do hope you are recovering. Knowing that you weren't exactly in the right mindset this game, and knowing that your future games will presumably have a better one, I'm not really sure there's anything I can do to help you.

sthar8:
So I'm having trouble critiquing your play. My 'scumread' on you was in part convenience, and in part because I-as-scumbuddy knew you were more scummy than you actually were...but while it's true that I didn't want to lynch you...it's also true that I felt your play was legitimately "off" your towngame, and that if I were town, I'd have scumread you. (That part wasn't faked. I really did have trouble explaining my read! Because I'm still having it even now.) I'm not sure how to explain it...but something in your game this time didn't seem to match the feeling of a town player, and I'm not exactly certain what it is.

It's something you might want to look into, since while you did okay, even the players in this game who didn't know you caught on, and a player who knew you most certainly would have. I guess it might have been...that they felt artificial? Your posting this game felt exactly what it undoubtedly was: highly calculated, logical, and precise. Artificial and a bit manipulative, meant to mislead town players. This is good strategy, but it works best if people don't catch onto you doing it, and this game, they did. I wish I could be more precise. I wish I could hone in on what, specifically, is giving your scumgame that 'off' feeling so that you could correct it. But this is, sadly, the best I can do.

Will say this, though. You still pulled it off. You're a strong scum player. And there's nothing in your actual play for me to criticize. You did well.

On me:
Basically, I started this game recovering from a rut, only to find myself in a different one. I was in the middle of sorting out a critical element of my life (that you might have observed if you pay attention to my profile), and that meant that my investment in this game was not nearly what it should have been. It was bad form. I kept posting often enough to avoid getting replaced, but not making a notable contribution to the game. Though this was more advantageous to my scum wincon, it's a HORRIBLE example to set of what good scumplay should be like. Sure. A good scum player knows the value in NOT speaking at times, yeah. But this game was well in excess of that. The best scum players win not by lurking, but by manipulating, by being invested in the gamestate and being right there the whole time.

I wasn't. So I do apologize for that. It would have been worse if I was town, too. Not contributing basically anything like I did is basically unacceptable. Do as I say, not as I did. While I think that I do have the ability to teach well, I don't think I can teach well until I've sorted out the issues in my life, and while each month gets me closer to that (I'm much better off mentally now than I was in, say, November), I'm still a far way off from being competent. As a player, this was a weak showing. As an IC, an even weaker one. My teachings weren't well-timed or well-executed. However, in spite of my horrendous attitude, you can still learn some things from this aside from what NOT to do. (Don't lurk, don't half-ass, and don't only partially analyze; actually follow through and DO.)

Mainly, you can see it in the idea (rather than execution) of what I did. While my questions were meant to teach, and I ask them as town as well, they serve to benefit a scum-me just as much as they benefit a town-me. In this case, by asking about other players, I could establish basic profiles of them, so that I could sort them into tiers. Players to nightkill. Players to mislynch. Players to buddy. And once I had that basic info, I was able to create a plan: kill players who were competent regardless of their current accuracy. (This is smart scum play, by the way!) Not focus on hunting power roles, but being on the lookout for them. And to focus attention, via manipulation, onto making town players suspect other town players.

To put it differently...while I didn't contribute anything, this was not entirely a bad thing, if I had handled it with greater care and attention that I had. I've had EXCELLENT scum games where I did well because I managed to encourage town players to fight town players, while not leaving anything incriminating to my scumbuddy(/ies) in case I would die. To put it a different way...I did say that on a player-scale, if you see someone who could be scum with anyone, it's generally a bad sign on your part. But it can also be something they do intentionally as scum. Not being able to find my scumbuddy would ensure that even if I got lynched, he'd have a good shot at victory.

Strong scum play is having a plan and managing to obscure that plan from the town. It involves keeping the town from working together. It basically boils down to stopping the town from unifying, or if they do unify, having it serve your agenda. You can see elements of that in what I did. I killed players who I knew could present that threat, and I largely planned the mislynches that we got. I managed to predict and prepare for things, and set up those fights. If I had been more active and invested, this would have been more apparent.

In essence: though lurking has its place (particularly as scum), this was overkill, and exactly what others have said: extremely bad form and a poor example.

Speaking of low activity, I might as well cover this before I move onto the newbies--
On the gamestate:
I said it before, and I'll say it again. Good games have neither too much nor too little activity. We started with too much...and crashed into too little as a result. Apathy is a bad game environment. While more beneficial to scum than town, it's simply not fun at all. It's contagious; if one person's hit by it, it drags all the players down. A healthy game might drag at times, but it will not consistently be that slow. A good player will know that they need to kick-start it. And not just a few days before deadline. Ideally, you get everyone talking to everyone, but not so rapidly that they drown each other out. I can put it a different way:
You need enough interaction to have thoughts...but enough time to let those thoughts sink in. If there's too much activity, you might read...but you're not processing it efficiently. And if there's no activity at all, you're not thinking at all.

This is one area where I as a player wouldn't be a miserable failure, but I as an IC was. Because I didn't set that pace properly. Too fast, too slow, and never a proper balance between the two. More than any other player, the IC can have that power, and I failed to use it effectively. This resulted in an environment where the newbies could not as effectively post, and as a result, not as effectively learn.

But I will say this, though. As I've hinted at...well, for the most part, this batch of players doesn't need much teaching at all, anyway. You all have what it takes to be successful players on MS.net; I can tell you that right here and now, to not only be among the better players, but potentially the elite. Almost all of you were above the average level I'd expect a newbie to play at (and I typically hold newbies to a higher standard than most!), and as a result, my advice is largely not going to be on teaching you, but rather, on giving little bits of tips and tricks to help, because you all share the same requirement of needing that experience, and not needing a rethink of your methods.

(This is part of the reason I largely played this game more in the mindset of a player than a teacher. I might have given lectures, but my actual play this game was basically identical to a lesser scum game of mine, with no differences because of my teaching. And this was because on some level, I guess I basically didn't feel you really needed the teaching, and were handling yourselves nicely without me. You're all awesome, and just need the time to realize it. But I still have to try, even if what I say is nothing you don't already know.)

Victor:
I've said it before, and will say it again--I see in you great potential. You'll see comments in the scum QT about how I viewed you as the largest risk among the newbie players, and that holds true. You have a lot of potential, and you showed it. You have fairly logical thoughts. You have excellent balance as a player. You're reasonable, you're intuitive, you have a good head for the game. I might be able to give you little pointers here and there with some closer inspection, but my main thought about you is, basically, "DON'T SCREW THIS UP!" By which, I mean exactly that--you have that talent, so don't let it be wasted by getting into the wrong mindset as a player.

The one thing that I see as your most likely potential future problem is as mentioned above a concern that in future games, you might be prone to confbias. (ESPECIALLY since it actually worked out in your favor this game, given that it was right!) If you keep an eye on it, you're probably going to be golden. I think if you run an iso of yourself, you can see why this is a concern of mine that I picked up. To some extent, it's there in your WBO push, and then the Nobody Special push after that. Of course, also the correct mastin2 push on me during D3, but yeah. You
should
be fine so long as you're aware it
could
be a problem.

I'll say it basically like this: there's not really much I can tell you that experience won't do better for you. You largely have the right ideas. The right focus. The right mindset. Basically, with a little refinement here and there (and keeping a lookout for that mindset potentially getting worse, basically my only concern with you), and you'll be among the top players on the site. You're definitely among some of the top newbies I've seen. (Just don't let that get to your head. :P)

skitzo:
And as the mafia QT shows, you're the player I saw the second-most potential in, right behind Victor. (Basically, the only reason both you and Vic were in lylo is because Wisdom was more of a threat.) I said it before, I said it in there, and to put focus on the central issue in your play, what you need, above all else, is that much stronger presence in the game. Your posts need some extra "oomph" to them, in essence, because of how they don't stand out. Though this can occasionally be advantageous, it is far more often than not a large drawback.

And while I promised I'd try to elaborate, I'll be honest in that I'm not exactly sure what I can really do to help with that. While it's an issue I've had before, it's been so long since I've had it that I've forgotten what I did to fix it. The best I can think of is what you, yourself already pointed out: if you are slightly more proactive, it does help a lot. Engaging who you're speaking to is a huge boost--in my experience, talking to a general audience is less effective than speaking to a specific one. Mafia being a social game, talking to a specific person generally helps you understand that person much better than if you're just coldly analyzing them from a distance. By actually conversing with a player, you're more notable to that player at the very least. I've also found in my experience that it helps raise awareness of you as a whole, even if you're just speaking to that one person, because others are paying attention to your interaction with them, whereas when you're talking to a general audience, they have a habit of skipping over your posting.

It might be worth giving a try, if you can grasp this. You do a bit of it in your posting, but for the most part, when I take a look at your iso, I do think it was mainly not talking to players, but to nobody specific. I guess a different way of thinking about it is this: by speaking to a general audience, you're not only using a more "cold" logical approach, but also relying on it yourself. By talking to a specific player, you're not only appealing more specifically to players, you're also getting a more intimate read of that person, because they're going to open up to you just as much as you open up to them.

But again, this is just my best guess as to how to fix the problem. I'm truly sorry that I cannot offer you better advice than this. I do think you are a strong player. Like Vic, one of the main things you need is simply more experience than what you have now. I can scour your posts and maybe I'll find a slight flaw, but really, I can't find any obvious fault in your process; it's solid. It's just not memorable--so if you spend time focusing on honing in and refining that to BE more memorable, and you're going to be a winner, since the rest is already there.

Though this is the feedback for the majority of players, I still need to give Docthorr, Jackel, and WBO some feedback, too, since they're still around from the looks of things. (Or even if not, look like they could be in the future.) So consider this part two of three, with them being the final part.

Again, wish I could give better feedback than this.
My academy.
Agnigi

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”