Newbie 1883 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (isolation #0) » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Post by DoubtingThomas »

VOTE: umlaut

OMGUS
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (isolation #1) » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:43 pm

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 12, Umlaut wrote:I'd like to ask about everyone's background and experience. Is this your first Mafia game here? Is it your first Mafia game ever? Where else have you played Mafia/Werewolf or other social deduction games?

So, when I was in a game with Light Ethos, nonny, and TWAIN, that was a second game that I started, but it became the first game I finished (very basic set-up, a lot less people than the other mafia game I was in).

After that, I've gained more experience by almost finishing up that one, and just finishing another one.

So tldr; not so experienced, but definitely learned a lot more than my previous game with Light Ethos and the others. Hopefully this potential change of play/more active take on the game doesn't make me look suspicious or different.

It might be that I will end up not changing up my play style as much, as the other games were faster, hard-end 12hr/12hr or 48hr/24hr game, and the main reason why I didn't check up on the previous game with them was because these newbie games are soft-end 1 week games.

Let's see how I do this game :)
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 18, DoubtingThomas wrote:
In post 12, Umlaut wrote:I'd like to ask about everyone's background and experience. Is this your first Mafia game here? Is it your first Mafia game ever? Where else have you played Mafia/Werewolf or other social deduction games?

So, when I was in a game with Light Ethos, nonny, and TWAIN, that was a second game that I started
(first and only game on this website, btw )
, but it became the first game I finished (very basic set-up, a lot less people than the other mafia game I was in).

After that, I've gained more experience by almost finishing up that one, and just finishing another one.

So tldr; not so experienced, but definitely learned a lot more than my previous game with Light Ethos and the others. Hopefully this potential change of play/more active take on the game doesn't make me look suspicious or different.

It might be that I will end up not changing up my play style as much, as the other games were faster, hard-end 12hr/12hr or 48hr/24hr game, and the main reason why I didn't check up on the previous game with them was because these newbie games are soft-end 1 week games.

Let's see how I do this game :)
edit
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (isolation #3) » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:02 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 24, TWAIN wrote:@DT: Please make sure not to quickhammer this time around. Endgaming day 2 doesn't change the fact your votes were recklessly cast back then. Please hold off your vote this time around and announce intent while leaving a grace period before actually hammering.
VOTE: TWAIN

for being a smartass
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (isolation #4) » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:29 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 30, Umlaut wrote:Here it is: Newbie 1880

I'm reading this over now since fully four of the players in this game played together in that one (TWAIN, Light Ethos, nonny, DoubtingThomas). I'm not super reliant on meta but I do try to get a sense of people's typical town play that I can diff from.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that with six hours on the clock DoubtingThomas' d1 hammer on Performer in that game was not so bad. Any lynch is better than no lynch on day 1, and people were talking about no lynch being an actual possibility at that point, so in that game I'd have been inclined to excuse the lack of hammer etiquette even if it had hit town. (It's not what I would have done in his shoes, but that's because I'm the kind of crazy person who will set alarms reminding me to come in here and hammer at deadline minus five minutes.)

The early day 2 hammer genuinely was bad (even though it worked out) and I hope DT hasn't taken some unfortunate lesson like "quickhammering is awesome and always works" from that game.
In post 13, TWAIN wrote:
In post 10, LaserGuy wrote:
In post 8, TWAIN wrote:VOTE: LaserGuy

The rope is the only killing tool allowed on these premises. Lasers are forbidden.
This is probably Town.
While you're right that I'm town, try not to reach hasty conclusions from single posts.
Why'd you say this? If you're town, and LaserGuy is calling your post towny, why not suppose there really is something towny in your post even if you don't know what it is?
I will generally agree,

and on top of this the second day hammer comes with the fact that I didn't KNOW/understand that that vote will insta kill.

In the other two games I've finished, the end of day didn't end (even if majority is reached and everyone has voted) until the vote clock runs out or everyone casted a ##end vote.

so everyone, let's stop talking about the past
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (isolation #5) » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:31 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 34, mallowgeno wrote:I don't really like how Umlaut came off with his statement asking you if you were serious, it seemed accusatory. I think Umlaut might be trying to do reads but something feels off about the way he's going about it.

I have to agree with mallow here.

Something about that seems highly artificial.

Starting off with kind of defending my two hammer votes, then quickly positioning into pointing out TWAIN.

Then saying, it's not a random pick without further explanation.

I will actually stay on my vote for umlaut
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (isolation #6) » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:33 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 33, LaserGuy wrote:
In post 25, Umlaut wrote:When I read this I assumed you weren't serious, but your follow-up in implies you were to some degree. Are you actually townreading this post?
Yes, it's a real read. I'm not going to claim it's super solid, but in early D1, I usually can get a few decent reads based on feel. I got a good vibe from that post, so I said as much. As an added bonus, putting my thoughts out there early gives people something to talk about that isn't just meme-posting. FWIW, I think nonny is also Town.

As for the why of it, my feeling is that his joke comes from a townie mindset. Mafia tend to be more... mmm... self-conscious in talking about killing, and I think it's somewhat unlikely that TWAIN would have chosen to write that post if he were mafia.

can you be a little more descriptive than 'got a good vibe' and 'mmm... self-conscious' in your two town reads for them?
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (isolation #7) » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 44, Umlaut wrote:That's fair. If you were scum I'd have expected you to respond to me by saying you actually were scumreading LaserGuy before.

UNVOTE: TWAIN

VOTE: DoubtingThomas

Don't like either of his last two posts, the sort of wordy me-tooing Mallow's suspicions without actually saying anything in or asking LaserGuy for more detail on what he's already said is a weak preliminary townread in .

Mallow hopping off the TWAIN wagon in response to the VC just now looks town.

What do you even mean without actually saying anything? I am summarizing your actions, and adding on to what mallow was saying about how your reads are little bit off while being accusatory.

If you want to know what's suspicious about your activity, let me explain it more thoroughly.

Your post just adds on to what TWAIN and nonny have already talked about. You add a little bit more of a description of what could be or what could not be, which adds little value to the current game. Then you go on to pick out TWAIN's post again, asking him about why TWAIN said it was hasty at 07/24/2018 11:05 am.

This is funny because you've already mentioned this on your previous post (the first post with real content besides your random vote on me and asking everyone about their experience, btw) 07/24/2018 7:43 am:
In post 25, Umlaut wrote:
In post 10, LaserGuy wrote:
In post 8, TWAIN wrote:VOTE: LaserGuy

The rope is the only killing tool allowed on these premises. Lasers are forbidden.
This is probably Town.
When I read this I assumed you weren't serious, but your follow-up in implies you were to some degree. Are you actually townreading this post?

Contrary to TWAIN I don't see anything wrong with a "hasty" read like this as long as it's understood that it's preliminary and subject to change, but I don't really see where it's coming from in the first place.
Why declare that you don't see anything "hasty" with the comment, only to ask TWAIN directly 3 hours later? Why didn't you just ask TWAIN when you first stumbled upon it?

Your post 31, therefore, sounds artificial in the sense that you just hop onto what TWAIN and nonny has talked about (game 1880), and then you added an irrelevant question for TWAIN at the end, even though you could and should have asked that question 3 hours ago if you were genuinely curious about it.

Furthermore, once TWAIN answers your question, you say:
In post 32, Umlaut wrote:I have some things to say about that but I'd rather see how LaserGuy responds to it first.

VOTE: TWAIN

This isn't based on anything solid but it's not random either.
This is literally the epitome of "wordy" and "without actually saying anything" that you accused my post was doing in post 44. You add absolutely no value for town, while even refusing to express your reaction towards TWAIN's answer (which is of good information for town side), even though there is no real reason not to. Why say your vote is not random if you are not going to even explain what it is?

Talk about saying nothing.

DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (isolation #8) » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:44 pm

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 43, LaserGuy wrote:
In post 37, DoubtingThomas wrote:can you be a little more descriptive than 'got a good vibe' and 'mmm... self-conscious' in your two town reads for them?
What part of my description of my reasons for my townread on TWAIN was unclear?

I haven't yet given my reasons for my read on nonny. What do you think of her?
I personally think saying some weak stuff like "vibe" and "he looks self-conscious" doesn't really mean anything.

For example, am I really saying much if I say I think nonny is a town because I get "good vibe" from his posts or nonny is a scum because I get "bad vibe" from his posts?

I think it's perfectly logical and should be recommended to ask people who comment on stuff (whether or not it's a weak read or not) what part of their post made you feel/conclude that.

Let me go on with an example of nonny.

Nonny's first post:
In post 14, nonny wrote:VOTE: umlaut for being too helpful ;)

Like Twain’s repsonse to the town read.

I used to play forever ago then took a 10 year hiatus this is my 3rd newbie game since being back. Did a few marathons. Have played IRL mafia/werewolf over the years.
1) Random/joke vote
2) befriends TWAIN
3) answers umlaut's question

second post:
In post 21, nonny wrote:
In post 18, DoubtingThomas wrote: So tldr; not so experienced, but definitely learned a lot more than my previous game with Light Ethos and the others. Hopefully this potential change of play/more active take on the game doesn't make me look suspicious or different.
Little weird to explain away suspicious behavior before the game has even really started....just saying.
Saudade wrote:Voting a greek god, what could possibly go wrong
atleast it isn't Zeus or Hades...
1) comments on a weird part of my post
2) joke

post 3:
In post 29, nonny wrote:No....she’s right. It’s good advice. And I actually had the same concern when I saw the player list. Very cautious to let anyone get to L-1 given track record :/

L-1 can be used to gather more information with pressure, can’t gather that info with quick hammers. For those that weren’t in the game we are referring to Newbie 1880 that just finished. (Sorry can’t link cause mobile)
1) again, befriends TWAIN by agreeing with her
2) continues to explain a previous game

Adds little real value for the current game, while suggesting almost 0 new points for this game.

Considering he was much more active on scum hunting since beginning of the game, he seems way too relaxed in this game.

I got a "bad vibe" about his three posts, and will put him at scum read because when he was a townie in the previous game, he was much more active and constantly came up with good points for town
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (isolation #9) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:42 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 47, nonny wrote:
In post 33, LaserGuy wrote:As for the why of it, my feeling is that his joke comes from a townie mindset. Mafia tend to be more... mmm... self-conscious in talking about killing, and I think it's somewhat unlikely that TWAIN would have chosen to write that post if he were mafia.
I buy this read, it is obviously early days. But was thinking about this when driving to work this morning, don't think a scum would joke about killing period. Because it could be easily picked apart and used as weak evidence that they are scum.
In post 35, DoubtingThomas wrote:
I will generally agree,

and on top of this the second day hammer comes with the fact that I didn't KNOW/understand that that vote will insta kill.

In the other two games I've finished, the end of day didn't end (even if majority is reached and everyone has voted) until the vote clock runs out or everyone casted a ##end vote.

so everyone, let's stop talking about the past
This is good to know about the posting/voting difference. Can maybe see it not being obvious with how close we were to deadline d1 in 1880. Still is not a good habit and hope it's now clear. Yes, it's a different game and not this game. But either meta is helpful or it isn't, you can't say we need to stop talking about the past while trying to compare my posts this game with that previous game. Can't really have it both ways dude, either you think meta is helpful or you don't. Can't pick and choose just because it's being said about you too. Does that make sense?

Personally I don't like meta and wasn't planning on playing with that meta, just wanted to make sure the mechanic was clear while we are still early in day 1.

Not sure agreeing that someone is giving good advice or commenting on game mechanics is befriending. I am a "she" btw.
Look, this is literally like the 7th post from 3 people still talking about the same exact topic. I am not even playing 'meta' at this point. stop mentioning the same thing over and over again from last game. period.

There is absolutely no need for it, especially after I made it clear that the "mechanic" that you are worrying about is clear. Why are you AGAIN mentioning it? When there is no need to do it AT ALL? It just makes you look like you are trying to sound like a superior person. I understand where I was coming from. You understand where I was coming from. Why can't you drop the matter? You refusing to drop this useless talk about that plot of action makes you look too defensive, something a scum would be doing.

there is a difference between me talking about your previous game and you talking about my previous game.

You are strictly talking about the 'mechanic' part of the game I didn't understand. which is clear for everyone and three different people have mentioned it.

I am talking about your behavior and approach to the game that is noticeably different, which is worth to mention and discuss, because it doesn't come from a lack of understanding of the game.

In post 47, nonny wrote:
In post 36, DoubtingThomas wrote:
In post 34, mallowgeno wrote:I don't really like how Umlaut came off with his statement asking you if you were serious, it seemed accusatory. I think Umlaut might be trying to do reads but something feels off about the way he's going about it.

Starting off with kind of defending my two hammer votes, then quickly positioning into pointing out TWAIN.

Is this you befriending mallow?

It looks like umlaut was testing relationships with his vote. Atleast him prefacing it with wanting to hear more from LaserGuy seemed to suggest that. Now that he's moved his vote how do you feel about his voting overall?

Also, your vote on umlaut appears OMGUS to me.
Lmfao. After I point out that you've done absolutely nothing but sweet talk TWAIN, you still refuse to provide much reads except for OMGUS pointing out me, who is the only one that really mentioned you thus far in the thread, that I am OMGUS voting umlaut. Even though I already had my vote on umlaut before he legitimately placed his voted on me.

Instead of pointing out that it seems like I am OMGUS'ing umlaut by OMGUS'ing me. Can you come up with your own points and reads on others and actually start scum hunting?

Sure, I can agree that I am "befriending" mallows like you have "befriended" TWAIN, but unlike you, I am actually contributing and trying to create reads and/or at least communicating with others to get more information out of them from their reactions, on top of the befriending activities.

You, on the other hand, is only talking to me, and does not seem that curious about others, as if you already know who is town and who is scum.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (isolation #10) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:49 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 48, LaserGuy wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:I personally think saying some weak stuff like "vibe" and "he looks self-conscious" doesn't really mean anything.

I think it's perfectly logical and should be recommended to ask people who comment on stuff (whether or not it's a weak read or not) what part of their post made you feel/conclude that.
You're misunderstanding what I am trying to do when I am providing reads at this point in the game. I'm not trying to convince you that TWAIN is Town, per se. I believe he is, and am using my read as a springboard to start a conversation. I gave people time to think about it and come up with their own interpretations without my explanation prejudicing them. This creates significant value-added above and beyond the original read. From a four word post I generated ten or so replies and comments so far, and many of these are also alignment indicative, which I can use to make further reads. It's possible that I could have got the same outcome had I provided my reasoning up front, but my experience is probably not.

I don't think there is really difference in whether or not you are trying to convince that someone is a TOWN or not. I think it's logical enough for me to ask WHY you even got WHATEVER feeling you had towards a person, because (and especially true if) I didn't get the same vibe. Maybe I am missing something, or maybe I can share you my opinion of that person that can give you a different mindset/view on it.

No need to really fight over this, as it's just a difference in the approach of the first few posts, where no one really should know what's going on between people except the scum.

I am not accusing you of anything, I am just curious, and I still hold my stance that you should explain/point out to me why you/how you came up with your town read.
In post 48, LaserGuy wrote:
For example, am I really saying much if I say I think nonny is a town because I get "good vibe" from his posts or nonny is a scum because I get "bad vibe" from his posts?
I don't think there is really difference in whether or not you are trying to convince that someone is a TOWN or not.

You're providing a concrete opinion on a player's alignment. That is arguably the most useful information that you can provide.
I am providing an 'opinion' of someone that I've read one or two posts from. While this is a legitimate information, it doesn't really advance the game if we don't do something with said opinion.

I am not arguing over difference in the approach to the game any longer, and I'd like to take this game to the next step so we can start getting information that's more than someone's opinion of someone else from like two things they said.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (isolation #11) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 47, nonny wrote: It looks like umlaut was testing relationships with his vote. Atleast him prefacing it with wanting to hear more from LaserGuy seemed to suggest that. Now that he's moved his vote how do you feel about his voting overall?
He's changing votes frequently, which is probably null-scummy in general, but at this point of the game, just null, because towns can be doing that.

I'd like to see his reply to my point, but he's contributing and I will put him at null. If I have to choose between town/scum. Probably town, but most definite subject to change, especially when couple others haven't even been posting at all.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (isolation #12) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:25 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 58, nonny wrote:DT: aside from RVS (which does not count) you weren’t voting umlaut until post 45 after he voted you. How is my talking to you not scumhunting? All your points are hypocritical at best. You yourself are nitpicking approach to the game while saying a few paragraphs later you don’t want to nitpick approach.

What else do you think there is other then discussing opinions? As you said no one knows anything aside from scum. What is the “next step” to you?
you still fail to read anyone else except to continuing to tunnel me.

put some more effort into the game, until then I am voting you VOTE: nonny
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (isolation #13) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:29 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 60, Umlaut wrote: I made literally zero posts between these two by DoubtingThomas. The only thing that has changed in the interim is that he started getting heat from nonny (his other scumread!) based on his posts about me. I find it difficult to credit that this would soften his read on me. Right now I would expect town!DoubtingThomas to be accusing nonny of chainsawing or something. But it makes perfect sense for scum!DoubtingThomas to try and back out of a push that has drawn unwanted attention.

I am very happy with my vote here.
I am referring to your vote activity before my post.

You initially random voted me, then switched to TWAIN, then switched back to me. This is what I meant by "switching votes" frequently.

and lol. I didn't even read your post yet, but voted in the way you expected town!DoubtingThomas to vote. nice guess tho.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (isolation #14) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:27 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 67, Umlaut wrote:
@LaserGuy
Thanks for the link. I'm going to take some time to compare your play in that game with your play in Newbie 1833, since they're both showing you in a similar environment at close to the same time. Right now I'm seeing some aspects of your behavior in this game that I want to call towny, so having a scum game as a point of comparison can make me less (or more) paranoid that those aspects are something you'd be likely to fake as scum.
DoubtingThomas wrote:I am referring to your vote activity before my post.

You initially random voted me, then switched to TWAIN, then switched back to me. This is what I meant by "switching votes" frequently.

and lol. I didn't even read your post yet, but voted in the way you expected town!DoubtingThomas to vote. nice guess tho.
I think you're missing my point.
  • is a long, detailed discredit and attack on everything I've done in this game that concludes with a vote on me. I think anyone would take from that post that you think I'm scum, and moreover that you are writing it to persuade others that I'm scum.
  • says that I'm null at worst and if you had to guess you'd say town.
  • I didn't say anything between those two posts that could change your read on me.
  • No one else said anything between those two posts that could change your read on me.
I infer from this that you're backing down from scumreading me only because you're uncomfortable with the scrutiny it's gotten you. If my inference is wrong, you'd better convince me that there's a legitimate path from "You add absolutely no value for town... Talk about saying nothing" to "...he's contributing and I will put him at null" without my actually contributing anything in the interim.

You're also misinterpreting (or misrepresenting?) my comment on what town!DoubtingThomas would do. I didn't say you would or wouldn't vote nonny, I said you'd accuse her of
chainsawing
-- indirectly defending her scumbuddy (me) by attacking his attacker (you). Since you're backing down on your scumread of me and voting her instead, that's not exactly what happened.

Post 45 is attack on your irregular voting activity. It's partially a response to YOUR initial post:
In post 44, Umlaut wrote:That's fair. If you were scum I'd have expected you to respond to me by saying you actually were scumreading LaserGuy before.

UNVOTE: TWAIN

VOTE: DoubtingThomas

Don't like either of his last two posts, the sort of wordy me-tooing Mallow's suspicions without actually saying anything in or asking LaserGuy for more detail on what he's already said is a weak preliminary townread in .

Mallow hopping off the TWAIN wagon in response to the VC just now looks town.
about what I said in my first post. About why I think your post was artificial/not genuine. NOT necessarily a full blown attack on WHY you are scum, but rather a defense towards my post that you ATTACKED.

Then I asked a legitimate question -- with a little bit of aggression, but no where really indicating that I have you as a scum read -- why you didn't ask a question that you could have asked with your first post with actual content.
In post 45, DoubtingThomas wrote: This is literally the epitome of "wordy" and "without actually saying anything" that you accused my post was doing in post 44. You add absolutely no value for town, while even refusing to express your reaction towards TWAIN's answer (which is of good information for town side), even though there is no real reason not to. Why say your vote is not random if you are not going to even explain what it is?

Talk about saying nothing.

Yes, this is pretty aggressive, but nowhere there can you really draw the conclusion that I am putting you at scum read. I try not to put someone at scum read for one out of 1 or 2 posts that they have really contributed, because towns are
more than capable of saying scummy things, and vice-versa

It's a good starting point, but I'd like to take more time and see what's going on. Of course, I will initially declare weak scum/town reads early on, but I had more things to read nonny as scum, than you.

It's partly because you have posted in little quantity up until that point. Which is also part of the reason why, as you claim,
In post 67, Umlaut wrote:detailed discredit and attack on everything I've done in this game that concludes with a vote on me.

because everything I've mentioned (which is what, like 3-4things? vote changes, commenting on TWAIN, pointing my behavior) is literally all you've done.

You say, 'attack on everything I've done' in a negative connotation, but... really it's not because I am all out to get you. You weren't that involved in the entire thread to begin with.

And before you say 'how can you say I've done few things but say I am contributing to get a null read from you', I'd like to apologize for not being real clear. I tend to have this problem, especially when I am playing mafia. What I should have said is, "he is contributing RELATIVELY to others (light ethos, and few others who I don't even remember the name of)"

Which is why, I said
In post 56, DoubtingThomas wrote:
In post 47, nonny wrote: It looks like umlaut was testing relationships with his vote. Atleast him prefacing it with wanting to hear more from LaserGuy seemed to suggest that. Now that he's moved his vote how do you feel about his voting overall?
He's changing votes frequently, which is probably null-scummy in general, but at this point of the game, just null, because towns can be doing that.

I'd like to see his reply to my point, but he's contributing and I will put him at null. If I have to choose between town/scum. Probably town, but most definite subject to change, especially when couple others haven't even been posting at all.
I said null-scummy, because your participation isn't great in absolute amount, but is good in relative amount. If you participated more, I'd put you towards more townie. By 'If I have to choose between town/scum. Probably town', I didn't mean that I read you as town, but rather, I'd choose not to lynch you, or would put you at relative town, compared to others who aren't even participating. I know I misrepresented myself here, again with the failure to be clear, but please excuse me.

I'd like to take note of the fact that you are using this 'already weak claim' of read for me against me, but also like to point out:
In post 25, Umlaut wrote:When I read this I assumed you weren't serious, but your follow-up in implies you were to some degree. Are you actually townreading this post?
Yes, it's a real read. I'm not going to claim it's super solid, but in early D1, I usually can get a few decent reads based on feel. I got a good vibe from that post, so I said as much. As an added bonus, putting my thoughts out there early gives people something to talk about that isn't just meme-posting. FWIW, I think nonny is also Town.

As for the why of it, my feeling is that his joke comes from a townie mindset. Mafia tend to be more... mmm... self-conscious in talking about killing, and I think it's somewhat unlikely that TWAIN would have chosen to write that post if he were mafia.
How you put this as:
In post 44, Umlaut wrote:or asking LaserGuy for more detail on what he's already said is a weak preliminary townread in .
a weak preliminary read, but do not give the same benefit of doubt for my clearly implied weak read on people? Why do you have a double standard?

As much as I dislike your approach and claims for this game, I think looking at your longer posts and engagement, I can get a better feeling to put you at town.You make really hard attempts to decipher people's read, and not just tunnel only on me, but continue to communicate with others and try to find out who really the mafia is.

This has to be the clearest townie for me right now at the moment.

As for nonny, he still hasn't done anything like that, and only is pointing fingers at me, which is fine, but has shown little to no attempt at trying to read OTHERS at all, as if he forgets that there is more than one mafia in the game to begin with.

I will stay on my vote of nonny.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (isolation #15) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:32 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 68, mallowgeno wrote:
In post 64, LaserGuy wrote:
@Mallow
: Who do you think is Town at this point?
I'm gonna say probably TWAIN and Nonny at the current moment. I don't have enough info on the lurkers to determine a read yet.
Why do you think nonny is a town?
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #107 (isolation #16) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:10 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 75, Umlaut wrote:I'm going to decline to continue this back-and-forth with DoubtingThomas right now. He's still my top scumread, but I feel like I'm on the path toward tunnel vision and I also don't want our wall wars to overshadow the rest of the game. If there's anything he said that anyone
really
wants my response to then I'll give it.

[*]
DoubtingThomas
I have already talked about at length, and does nothing to dissuade my impression that he's trying to retcon his earlier posts now that they didn't work in his favor.[/list]

The only associative read I have high confidence in is that DT-nonny is not a scumteam. Given that DT is scum Mallow could
possibly
be his buddy (in the sense that there are no associative tells to suggest otherwise) but I think it's much more likely there's scum in the inactives. Honestly I'm pretty sure that's the case even if DT is town.
I think this is possibly the dumbest approach that a town can have for this game.

Start a conversation with one of the people, but once you reply like once or twice and they reply back, pretend to want to "not tunnel" on that person by refusing to respond to their post, but still keep them as top scum read and keep the vote on them.

You are essentially saying you don't want to tunnel, but still tunneling on me while refusing to give out more information/discuss matters.

Choose one. If you don't want to tunnel, then go look for another scum read. If you want to tunnel, go ahead and keep your votes and top scum-read on me.

This almost sounds too blatantly scummy and illogical that maybe this is the most obvious proof of being a town in this game.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #108 (isolation #17) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:12 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 103, TWAIN wrote:
In post 100, Saudade wrote:if I was able to read long paragraphs of text my choice of career would've been very different in life
You know this is the kind of game that's focused on reading and analysing said long paragraphs, right?
Not exactly.

Mafia is game of lying and finding mafia. Focused reading and analyzing long paragraphs are ideal and most used methods in coming up with hypotheses, not a necessity, neither is it the name of the game.

If he doesn't want to do it, he has the right not to. Whether or not he gets scum read for it is a different issue.

I think that a scum wouldn't act in such a way. Scum wants to please other people and look good. Scum doesn't go out of his way, saying, "dude I don't want to read essays" and draw attention.

I am gonna put him as town lean.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (isolation #18) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:47 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 94, nonny wrote: I'm not tunneling you (p-edit: ehh maybe I am). You are actively posting and actively posting things that don't jive. So I respond to those. Anything else that warranted comment I have commented on. If its already been addressed then I don't see reason to duplicate it. Posting multiple wall posts full of summaries (poor/misinterpreted summaries) is not the only way to put effort into the game. Why are you focused on what you think is my lack of activity versus those that are actively lurking?
I am saying your lack of activity, but still only tunneling me and ever mentioning me is what a scum would do.

Scum wants to pick one man and draw attention to whatever they can that might make them scummy. That's what you did, and that's the only thing you did.
In post 94, nonny wrote:

Post 71 is problematic, but starting to feel it's a waste of time to point out all the inaccuracies in DT's posts. For example though, DT states Umlaut is suspicious for his "vote changes" when at this point he's voted 3 times, which is one less the number DT has voted. First, it's a silly thing to draw attention to as "not doing anything" when he is doing something by voting which moves the game forward. Secondly, why draw attention to that specifically when you are as well changing votes just as frequently? Its just odd at minimum. It's also grasping at flimsy straws.
"not doing anything" in the first three posts with two of them being a joke vote or with weak claim like "it's not a random vote, btw" is not false. I firmly announce that, to me, that's nothing, and to you, that may be something. Let's not fight over whose opinion is more correct in a forum mafia game.

First look it at the town's point of view.

GIVEN THAT I AM TOWN, I am trying to look for clues from other's action. I DID NOT put changing votes as the only reason I am scum reading umlaut, but a partial reason. WHICH is often times what scums do. They change votes around to see people's reaction and try to settle on one town that's being wildly scum read.

As a town, given this information, it is more than likely for me to think of this as a reason to put umlaut suspicious. As a town, I am unaware of the fact that well, I am also changing votes around, because I am a town and the joke votes I made in the beginning meant nothing to me and I quickly forgot.

Let's look at the voting activities more closely, rather than just from the surface.

Umlaut: post7 - joke vote; post32 - votes TWAIN, saying "This isn't based on anything solid but it's not random either."; post44 - votes DT

DoubtingThomas: post15 - joke vote; post28 - joke vote; post45 - votes umlaut while asking umlaut his intentions ; post65 - votes nonny after writing like three essays on how suspicious I am of him.

I mean, if you are going to count CLEARLY implied joke votes as a legit vote, I won't stop you. But he's voted 2 times legitimately, and I've voted 2 times legitimately. So let's stop ourselves from exaggerating matters.

Please refrain from saying ignorant things like, "it's a waste of time to point out all the inaccuracies in DT's posts.", as I can assure you that I can probably explain/counter whatever bs you are accusing me of. So go give it another try to discredit me.
In post 94, nonny wrote:
I'm starting to think "read" is another word that you are defining differently than everyone else. A "read" is typically something semi-solid that you post, see Umlaut's post 75. I think you may be using "read" as investigate or question. This may seem like semanitcs to point out but I feel its worth clearing up. If you are going with the first definition, you'll see I don't like to post full read lists, makes it easier for scum to push their mislynch if they know where everyone is at, I know there are pros to it but it's just not my preference. IF I have a strong read then I will say as much. If you mean the latter, I still disagree but can see it appearing that way.
To the next part of that sentence, this is again playstyle difference. It's easy to sort people based on behavior but I'd rather focus on finding 1 scum, have it confirmed (via lynch obv) and then focus on finding the next. For this set-up I find this most efficient. Hard to find a partner to someone who is a guess. I'm not forgetting their are two scum, we only have to find one today.
No, I am not confusing the meaning at all. I don't really know what you are representing by "semi-solid", but you can definitely have a small read on someone like Poseidon - few posts that doesn't really do XXX but does YYY, slight-ZZZ. Maybe it means something different in mafia scum, as I have seen that same words might mean slightly different things in differing websites, but that's what it meant in two different sites I've been on. I can try really hard to understand why you might not be a big fan of posting reads of people, but being reluctant to commit to what view of people you are starting to develop over the course of game that is 100+ posts in is something what scums typically do.

Scums don't want to commit. Scums don't want to provide read list because they don't want to give any information to towns. scum already knows who is town and who is scum. Providing read lists helps townies, especially once they are lynched.

Your problem is that, on top of not providing a reads list, you are not doing anything but talking to and about me. You didn't do anything except for complimenting TWAIN, until on two or three different occasions I've pointed this fact out.
In post 94, nonny wrote:
To the next part of that sentence, this is again playstyle difference. It's easy to sort people based on behavior but I'd rather focus on finding 1 scum, have it confirmed (via lynch obv) and then focus on finding the next. For this set-up I find this most efficient. Hard to find a partner to someone who is a guess. I'm not forgetting their are two scum, we only have to find one today.
to your other posts, I can give you a respect for your opinion and belief. This point is just plain bad. If you open your eyes to try to find two scums at a time, it enables you to see the connection and interaction between the two scums that are out there. How are you going to try to find out one scum when you are isolating the existence of the second scum? Many times townies post things that can be potentially viewed as scummy. If you isolate and tunnel on trying to find only one scum, you are going to tunnel on that person, as you have done with me. So, congrats if you are town.
In post 94, nonny wrote:
Addressed this above, but I'm not one to do a full read post. I am leaning town on umlaut and LG. DT is ringing most likely to be scum to me his progression away from umlaut looks like it has more to do with many players posting a town read on umlaut then with anything else, but perhaps I am tunneling after all. Also leaning scum on Poseidon, slight-scum on saudade but that could be from me not liking his posting style as well.
Addressed this above, but this is going to just be seen as scummy as hell by many people in the future. Doing a simple thing like providing your honest opinion on the small activities each people have done so early into the game is not hard.

EVERYONE knows that this is very early in the game, and no one is going to harm you for reading small things wrong. The point is to see more information out of you, and you pointing out things that others might have missed, and seeing other people's reaction to your post. Why are you afraid to provide a simple read list (THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO COMMIT TO if you didn't know already, btw) that helps town so much?

Really, what are you accomplishing by refusing to provide a SIMPLE GOD DAMN reads list that no one is going to condemn you for if you are completely wrong?

Why so stubborn?

I don't know what TWAIN was referring to as meta analyzing, but the fact that the first non-DoubtingThomas interaction you've had is post #94 after I pointed out multiple times you should do more for the game as townie,

is quite concerning, and I don't know why it's not getting picked up by others. This is honestly the biggest concern that you have omitted from your replies. You only mentioned "reads list" and made it sound like an unthinkable thing that people shouldn't be doing because it might hurt someone's feelings or something. But no, you had like 0 (maybe more, but I can't see any, so point out) interaction with anyone related to scum hunting (that means disregarding your complimentary behavior towards TWAIN and stuff), until like post 94.

You didn't care about the scum. You spent many posts to attack me, but now you back out and vote someone else instead. Like what? why are you suddenly voting someone you haven't even mentioned in the past 90 posts?

Perhaps the only real reason is that my tone of voice makes people uncomfortable or something, but that's just "difference in playstyle" as nonny has put, and I encourage everyone to see out of their emotions.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (isolation #19) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:49 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 109, TWAIN wrote:>while refusing to give out more information/discuss matters.

>If there's anything he said that anyone really wants my response to then I'll give it.
Doesn't really sound like refusal to me.

This is just complete bs. Lol. The fact that he'd only act in a certain way once he is only inquired for doesn't mean he's not refusing.

He's literally saying, "Hey DT, I don't give a damn about what you are yappering about, but if others ask me for it, I will tell them. Btw, I am still voting you because you didn't convince me that you are NOT scum :)"

Is this chain of logic good enough for you?
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (isolation #20) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:50 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

[quote="In post 112 He can still find you scummy based on the information already gathered. Him not wanting to tunnel does not make you not a scum read, nor does his post make you look town.

@saudade: so you trust other people’s summaries more than yourself?[/quote]

The fact that he's refusing to communicate why he still finds me scummy after I've responded to his points is tunneling.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #115 (isolation #21) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:56 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

The only scum read about me that umlaut has explained to me is that

1) I agreed with mallows (which all of you have done by agreeing with others; and by the way, I tried to explain myself unlike many others)

2) Because I asked LaserGuy about why he is weak town reading someone else
>I've explained why I think asking people their reasons for reading someone is important, no matter how weak it is
>Hypocritical because he criticized my post about what I have meant as a 'weak read', BTW

3) I changed my opinion of umlaut between my two posts
>Which is false, and explained in 71, that he did not respond to
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (isolation #22) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:00 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 117, Umlaut wrote:
In post 113, DoubtingThomas wrote:He's literally saying, "Hey DT, I don't give a damn about what you are yappering about, but if others ask me for it, I will tell them. Btw, I am still voting you because you didn't convince me that you are NOT scum :)"
You know, I didn't say only "others" there. If there's something in your posts to which
you
are looking for a response from me, you could point it out too.
Simply list what about me that you have me scum read for.

All your points before 71 doesn't only apply to me or is your misunderstanding
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (isolation #23) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:01 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 116, nonny wrote:DT: you, you’re self are tunneling. And again misrepresenting what I’ve said. I have no problem if others want to post a full read, I already stated I feel like it just makes mafia’s job easier for them to find who they can toss under the bus. Both my newbie games since my return to site have needed on Day 2 with a clean sweep of scum, game 1876 I lead the wagon on both the scum, I’ll stick with my play style it works for me. Also, I specifically said this set up, a game with more scum or various scum teams warrants different play. I, also, feel there is no further benefit to replying to your wall posts.

Make no mistake, you are still my #1 scum slot, but I want to see other players participate. If we get to deadline with how things are now then I’m more than ready to vote for you.
I am scum read because I attacked you? or do you have any other reasons?
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #120 (isolation #24) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:01 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 116, nonny wrote:DT: you, you’re self are tunneling. And again misrepresenting what I’ve said. I have no problem if others want to post a full read, I already stated I feel like it just makes mafia’s job easier for them to find who they can toss under the bus. Both my newbie games since my return to site have needed on Day 2 with a clean sweep of scum, game 1876 I lead the wagon on both the scum, I’ll stick with my play style it works for me. Also, I specifically said this set up, a game with more scum or various scum teams warrants different play. I, also, feel there is no further benefit to replying to your wall posts.

Make no mistake, you are still my #1 scum slot, but I want to see other players participate. If we get to deadline with how things are now then I’m more than ready to vote for you.
I am scum read because I attacked you? or do you have any other reasons?
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (isolation #25) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:07 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 117, Umlaut wrote:
In post 113, DoubtingThomas wrote:He's literally saying, "Hey DT, I don't give a damn about what you are yappering about, but if others ask me for it, I will tell them. Btw, I am still voting you because you didn't convince me that you are NOT scum :)"
You know, I didn't say only "others" there. If there's something in your posts to which
you
are looking for a response from me, you could point it out too.
Straw hat by the way.

Doesn't change my point whether or not you were referring to "others" or including me too.

the point is that is your logic.

"I don't want to tunnel, but DT, I don't care about what you say. I am still voting you."

This is a tunneling. Admit it.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (isolation #26) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:56 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 122, nonny wrote:You blanently and repeatedly misrepresenting what other plays say, which has been pointed out direnctly by myself, Umlaut, and Twain. This is the scummiest thing to do, because it creates false information. I’ve already shared other instances that were scummy in my various posts.

When did you flip again? You’re post last page about Umlaut you said he was town read, now he’s scum again to you? Very hot/cold.
How am I misrepresenting others? Let me ask you -- how am I misrepresenting you specifically? I've answered your question, and am clearly saying I am not misrepresenting anyone. Don't hop on that wagon please, make your on independent case.

No, you are not understanding what I am saying correctly, which I have explained more thoroughly later.

Please stop misrepresenting others. lol.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (isolation #27) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:18 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

I will respond to everyone's point after I work and (probably gym). I don't really want to write long essays at the moment.

That being said, I am fine to move onto the next phase to see a flip and night actions at this point. I think we are all getting repetitive, and as I have mentioned how I preferred quicker deadlines in the other games, I am not big fan of having long days for each phase, especially on the very first day.

I am fine with lynching Poseidon, as I don't want to get flamed for hammering Poseidon, I am going to cast my lynch about 9 pm est if Poseidon doesn't make an effective defense and people stay on their vote with Poseidon.

Carry on.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #160 (isolation #28) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:10 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

I kind of feel lazy to reply to three different people in three different long essays, and it looks like nonny is going to delay the game from 7/27 to 7/31, so I will take my time into responding to your points.

And please, when I say, "I will reply to your points later when I feel less tired about constantly posting long ass posts", please read that, instead of saying "it looks like DT is ignoring your request for reads, umlaut."

Like at this point, I am so tired of FOUR people (umlaut, TWAIN, nonny, and the guy with yoshi picture) just saying the same thing about scum reading me and thinking every single thing I am doing is suspicious, even though I am the one that doesn't have my vote on Poseidon over a single post.

Obviously, not all 4 of them are scums, so there are towns in that group. But then there are AT LEAST two, three (or maybe all 4 of them are towns, who knows) towns that are just REPEATING what the guy before has said.

Which is fine, but it doesn't contribute at all to scum finding and it makes it easier for scum to blend in. So please, if all you are essentially saying is what the other guy pointed out, stop doing the same thing

PS:
Nonny still refuses to put out any reads, huh. interesting
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #161 (isolation #29) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:12 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 159, TWAIN wrote:They're still on the page I left them on. Don't think I unvoted you because you alleviated my suspicions of you or something. It's just that Poseidon is the more pressing issue at hand.

It doesn't make sense for you to scum read me and sausade and have given numerous valid reasons, but only to vote Poseidon over ONE "anti-town" post that a town could have said too?

Like you are saying it's not scummy, it's just anti-town, and you are using one post by him to
L-1 VOTE
him, even though you are hard putting me and sausade on scum.

Nice anti-town voting.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #162 (isolation #30) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:12 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

Read list incoming, in case nonny or umlaut flames me again
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #164 (isolation #31) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:41 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

Please don't use this as a reason to draw conclusion of me, this is a list of what I think of each person RELATIVELY and with the little information we have at D1.

Light Ethos - Low contribution... perhaps motivation shows that he's a town, but just hasn't done anything so can't say
null to slight town

Poseidon and Sausade - Low contribution, and says some dumb things. I'd like to think these kind of plays as town lean because again, scum wants to please people and get not voted as much as they can, especially on D1.
town lean

Umlaut - I've mentioned multiple times that I like his play. seems townie. the only problem I have with him is that he starts a conversation with me, then decides to 'not want to tunnel me' by staying on my vote and ignoring my responses. Really toxic play as town. Again, it's so toxic and scummy that it's probably what a town would do. I don't think he would overplay like this in a townie game. Still his essential tunneling makes him less townie than before. I still like his reaction to the L-1 vote and that he points out what's scummy about me, although not quite convinced. downgrade to
slight town

Mallows - Not too much contribution, but more than Light Ethos. Says interesting points, but hard to find scum/town lean. Voted Umlaut without too much explanation, but I like his question towards me that I will answer after this reads list.
null to slight town

LaserGuy - I honestly see nothing really on him. Others have put him at town, and I put him at some town to some degree early game, but I am definitely always skeptical of putting someone at town or scum over the first few posts. I like his consistent inquisitorial behavior towards me, but it's quite hard to tell, as it will be extremely easy for scums to just follow on the DT bandwagon. nothing scummy, but it's hard to really get a strong town read from his play. I also think his post #146 "Reading it over, my first instinct is this sounds like scum giving up on a buddy." is a little quick to judgement without explanation, but I mean everyone reads me as scum, so I guess it's hard to help it. I do not like, however, that he voted me 3 minutes after he has posted post #146 on post #147. I mean.. why did you take 2~3 minutes to vote me on a separate post? [.v]DoubtingtThomas[/v] doesn't take that long to post? Maybe just real life? but weird indeed. Less townie than before... close to
null

nonny - Although I've been 'tunneling' on her. (yes, I legitimately saw her as scum, but I also exaggerated my interactions and reactions on purpose to see others' reactions as well as hers) I really like that she is consistent with her behavior of not putting a read list. If I advocated that hard for her to push a read list, most scums and even less established townies would have come up with some sort of compromise, she simply ignored me. That's an excellent attitude as a town, and I like to give her more credit. Although, if I were to bet money on whether or not she is a scum or town, I might have to go with scum because of my previous scum reads which I think are legitimate, she is definitely less scummy
still scum lean, however

TWAIN - Got town read by many people by two posts at the beginning, but I am not too convinced, as that kind of posts are easy enough for scums to say to get town read. Hard reads me and sausade as top two scum, but then votes Poseidon over one "anti-town" post, while saying "Terrible answer. Let's make you less indifferent." As if he's pressure voting Poseidon to get a reaction. correct me if I am wrong, but I think earlier in the post TWAIN was the one who pointed out to nonny or someone else that he is not fond of pressure voting? Although a lot of his posts seem towny, he's done many actions that are contradictory and scummy. He is one of the only 'newbs' in this newbie game that doesn't play like a newb, so I feel like he's capable of these plays as scum...
"
Umlaut

>inquires LG about his read on me
>inquires me about my reply to him
>active scumhunting, makes reads of everyone
>in 60 he actually says quite a bit of stuff I wanted to say myself

Easy town.
"
This is his logic of putting umlaut as town, but I more or so inquired a lot, and have been in active scumhunting as well, but he puts me at hard scum..... because I am more aggressive? and have different opinions to him? evolved from townish to
null to scum
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #165 (isolation #32) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:44 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 163, TWAIN wrote:>even though you are
hard putting
me and sausade on scum
That's where you're wrong.

Well, if you don't want people to misinterpret what you are saying, be a little more specific when you say stuff like:
In post 82, TWAIN wrote:Anyway, to make the read list:

Town: Umlaut, mallow
Town-leaning: LaserGuy
Null: Poseidon, Light, nonny (the latter two are definitely NOT the scumteam)
Scum-leaning: DT, Saudade

I'm yet to be completely sold on DT being scum (it's more or less up to how my reading of nonny changes), so I'll cast the vote I feel more comfortable with currently.
VOTE: Saudade

It's not a sin to understand this post as you putting DT and Saudade on top two scum read... especially with the additional comment at the end "I'm
yet
to completely sold on DT being scum", I understood it as, (I vote Saudade more as scum, as I am not 100% sure DT is a scum, yet (but he could be)."

Also, what I don't understand is if you are
definitely
sure that Light and nonny are not scumteam, why not just put them in town-leaning? There isn't a 3rd party in this set up?
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #166 (isolation #33) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:46 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 164, DoubtingThomas wrote: Umlaut - I've mentioned multiple times that I like his play. seems townie. the only problem I have with him is that he starts a conversation with me, then decides to 'not want to tunnel me' by staying on my vote and ignoring my responses. Really toxic play as town. Again, it's so toxic and scummy that it's probably what a town would do.
I don't think he would overplay like this in a townie game

Let me clarify:

By overplay, I meant I don't think he would go through all those trouble to look scummy enough to look town in a townie game (like playing mind games)... if that makes sense
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #172 (isolation #34) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:54 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 163, TWAIN wrote: Before Poseidon pulled his stunt I was of the opinion that one scum slot was filled by either you (more likely) or nonny (less likely, and has become increasingly less likely since), and the other slot more likely filled by Saudade than anyone else. Then Poseidon threw everything in the air and became a candidate for Saudade's slot, but a more dangerous one because he's straight up stated his lack of willingness to contribute to this day. I don't take lightly to that. There are three outcomes I see to this:
1. He starts actually getting involved in the game. Best outcome and what I want of him.
2. He still continues on his path, but roleclaims upon intent to hammer. Not too great, but definitely some info obtained from him as opposed to nothing.
3. He ignores all calls and becomes a policy lynch.

so, you are town leaning me now, then? Because poseidon 'threw' everything in the air and became suspicious, and you are sure that Saudade is the other scum?

But it doesn't sound like you are town reading me at all, and in your world you have two scums -- Saudade, Poseidon -- and like .75 scum (me).

Although I agree that what Poseidon is doing is toxic to town and I dislike that as well, I believe players like Light Ethos is even worse than him. This man has like what 1 real post and like 2 posts saying, I will come back later.

At least Poseidon is being blunt about the fact that he's not interested in sharing his opinion and will say something in D2. Light Ethos just looks like he's avoiding the tension whenever he's being prodded. At this point, we have to think of him as an active lurker.

I fail to see why you are so insistent on attacking Poseidon, even to the point of voting him over one post, when you are putting Saudade at hard scum and me at scum (which is understandable because 3 others are putting me at hard scum).

You complained about how I hammered in my last game, but you are providing the L-1 lynch over someone you lack evidence of as scum but would like to 'policy lynch' him for being lackluster in activity.

I don't see your current reaction as townie, and believing that you are a cynical and intelligent individual, I don't get how you want to risk Poseidon getting hammered just for one post, when there are technical lurkers out there who's doing even less than him.

why criticize others for pressure voting, when you are doing the same thing here? (please excuse me, if you are not the one who posted that you don't like pressure voting. I might be remembering wrong, and don't have the time to search atm)
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #174 (isolation #35) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:55 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 171, Umlaut wrote:
In post 164, DoubtingThomas wrote:Please don't use this as a reason to draw conclusion of me, this is a list of what I think of each person RELATIVELY and with the little information we have at D1.
@DoubtingThomas
If some other player made a post leading with "Don't use this post to draw conclusions about me" would you honor that request?

Eh, depends. In this case, I would because Umlaut, nonny, yoshiGuy, and TWAIN just says the same thing about how they think DoubtingThomas is scummy for breathing.

Pointing out the obvious that gets other 3 people instantly agree doesn't really help the case.

what I do welcome is what you think of my reads and what you think of me and others due to it.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #175 (isolation #36) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:56 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 169, Saudade wrote:Wait you didnt imply it you've explicitly said it
Lmfao. My name is Frank McBurgerFlipperino
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #177 (isolation #37) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:57 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 173, TWAIN wrote: >Also, what I don't understand is if you are definitely sure that Light and nonny are not scumteam, why not just put them in town-leaning?
Not being the scumteam only means they can't both be scum at the same time, so if one flipped scum the other would definitely be town. Of course, they may also be both town, but I don't have the info to draw that conclusion. Definitely no info on Light.
Okay, I understood your post wrong then.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #178 (isolation #38) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:04 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 140, mallowgeno wrote:
@Doubting Thomas
-Why does my bad vibes about Umlaut seem okay to you but when Laserguy does it it isn't an acceptable reason?
In post 36, DoubtingThomas wrote:

In post 37, DoubtingThomas wrote:

can you be a little more descriptive than 'got a good vibe' and 'mmm... self-conscious' in your two town reads for them?

That's not quite what I meant.

I was never in disapproval of Yoshi's bad vibe, nor in approval of your bad vibe.

I agreed with your bad vibe, because I got the same vibe, and tried to explain why I got that vibe. ( which, btw, was criticized by umlaut for looking like "he just agrees with mallows and doesn't add actual content")

I disagreed with Yoshi's bad vibe, and wanted to know what exactly made him get that bad vibe, because I wanted to know what I missed and maybe give him my opinion of him why I didn't think it was bad vibey for me.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #187 (isolation #39) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:58 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 183, Umlaut wrote:TWAIN, I feel like DT is presuming you should only have two scumreads, so that if you're leaning scum on both Saudade and Poseidon you can't be leaning scum on him. (DT can correct me if he thinks this is an inaccurate description of his position.)

This isn't true, and I can even formalize it: if you were to assign probabilities that each player is scum, the only formal constraint is that the total must be 200% (100%/scum × 2 scum). So it's totally self-consistent, for example, to say that each of three players is 50% likely to be scum, and each of the other five (aside from you) is 10% likely.

Most people aren't going to assign probabilities explicitly, but a rough heuristic of "it's reasonable to have several relatively weak scumleans, maybe not five but three is okay and four is a stretch but not out of the question" still applies.

um yeah no

if I were to believe that, I would have picked TWAIN and nonny and closed my case.

I am open to all possibilities. even you as scum at this point, because 1 is a lurker, 2 or 3 is low posting, and 4 just have the exact same opinion on everything basically
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #188 (isolation #40) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:02 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

>At least Poseidon is being blunt about the fact that he's not interested in sharing his opinion
That's what makes it worse IMO.

I can see why you could see that, but I think it makes it honestly better, and I challenge you to see that as well
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #190 (isolation #41) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:10 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 179, TWAIN wrote:
>and in your world you have two scums -- Saudade, Poseidon -- and like .75 scum (me).
Reread the post you're replying to. You're the main candidate over one slot, with the other potential candidate
for that slot
being nonny. The other slot was more likely to be Saudade's (and more likely doesn't mean set in stone, but that he got the head start on it), but now Poseidon joined in the mix.
In post 179, TWAIN wrote:
>why criticize others for pressure voting, when you are doing the same thing here?
Refer back to >>:
>I didn't say I'm not fond of pressure voting, I said one shouldn't do it without firing a warning shot to the player to get involved. Poseidon got its fair share of warning shots from people, and his reply was tantamount to "lolno". That completely warrants a vote.

I don't quite see why you don't think me-saudade scum couple is not possible.

And for the pressure voting bit, when you are pressuring someone to act by voting on them, that's essentially giving them a 'warning shot' to act.

why would you give a 'warning shot' for a warning shot for someone to act?

I still am hesitant to believe that poseidon has moved up to the level in your scum detector for me and saudade who you have given multiple reasons for reading as scum, while you are just trying to policy lynch poseidon at this point, when you are really sure that one of me or saudade is a scum
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #192 (isolation #42) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:15 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 190, DoubtingThomas wrote: I still am hesitant to believe that poseidon has moved up to the level in your scum detector for me and saudade who you have given multiple reasons for reading as scum, while you are just trying to policy lynch poseidon at this point, when you are really sure that one of me or saudade is a scum
In my opinion, this seems like your attempt to join the hottest wagon.

It seems like many people agree that the top scum picks are me, saudade, and poseidon.

and you joining the last wagon seems the most suspicious out of the core-4 group (umlaut,nonny,twain,yoshi) that's agreeing on those scum picks
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #193 (isolation #43) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:18 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 191, TWAIN wrote:>I don't quite see why you don't think me-saudade scum couple is not possible.
You still got that backwards. You're a candidate for being Mr. Scum Mafino, while Saudade is a candidate for being Mr. Maf Scumino. So it's not you and Saudade that can't be the scumteam.

This is what I mean though.

If you are so sure about me being Mr. Scum Mafino and Saudaded is the most likely candidate for being Mr. Maf Scumino, why not vote one of the two?

Instead of voting Poseidon who you have very little information of and is not reading as a top scum?

Townies should try to vote their top scum pick, not a target that's most likely to get lynched, especially when there is very little information about them.

Whether you dislike his play and believe it's subject to policy lynch is a different story than you voting a 3rd person that is nowhere near scum-like (according to your posts of reads) because he doesn't seem to be engaging.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #200 (isolation #44) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:41 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 194, TWAIN wrote:I don't think you understand my vote on Poseidon yet.

>Poseidon refuses to get involved, which is scummy
>gets voted for it
>he either gets involved, in which case everything goes right and the wagon dissipates
>or he continues to refuse, which gives reason to actually maintain the vote on it

Before going back to anything else, the Poseidon situation must be cleared out because it's the most jarring.
If he starts to get involved now after his wagon starts, I don't think it would necessarily mean his wagon will dissipate. We have to see what he says.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #201 (isolation #45) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:44 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 196, Umlaut wrote:
In post 192, DoubtingThomas wrote:In my opinion, this seems like your attempt to join the hottest wagon.
Suppose Poseidon is town. What's the scum motivation for TWAIN to make a highly conspicuous vote against a player who's going to flip green, and of whom she hasn't shown any prior suspicion?

If this is what you make of TWAIN's L-1, what should others make of your willingness to hammer?

He has an easy scapegoat (the person who actually hammers) should Poseidon flip green. He looks townie for 'actively trying to scumhunt a lurker who shows lacking effort to be involved in this game -- exactly something he is doing even right now.

I don't care what others make of my willingness to hammer, I really don't like the idea of one day phase lasting like a whole week (now that nonny is MIA for like 4 days, also..)
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #202 (isolation #46) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:03 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 195, Umlaut wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:Light Ethos - Low contribution... perhaps motivation shows that he's a town, but just hasn't done anything so can't say
null to slight town
Is the "slight town" only by PoE? Otherwise I don't really get it. I believe that Light Ethos really is preoccupied with other things and that this is NAI. Do you have any doubts about that?
yes, relative to other scum reads I have. I really don't like how he has 3 posts, and 66% of it is just him saying I will post soon. More focus on 'null' here, I guess.
DoubtingThomas wrote:Poseidon and Sausade - Low contribution, and says some dumb things. I'd like to think these kind of plays as town lean because again, scum wants to please people and get not voted as much as they can, especially on D1.
town lean
I don't really see how you can lump these two together. Saudade is saying quite a bit now and what he's saying probably merits some comment, whereas Poseidon is explicitly saying he doesn't plan to play the game until tomorrow. Anyway, I wonder if you already had this town lean on Poseidon when you stated intent to hammer him in ?
I lumped them together because they both made me laugh.

Poseidon - "So you’re keeping a vote on me that was an initial RV for sh*ts and giggles, because I haven’t been contributing to the TWAIN debate? Aight."

Saudade - "Oh dear Mr TWIN imagine believing im mafia when every post from me(there were only 2) this far into the very short 4 page game was absolutely not game related"

Both made me laugh and, consequently, made me have a somewhat similar image of them unconsciously, I guess. And that they were both criticized for low activity early on. Yes, I know Saudade have really stepped up his game and all, but most, if not all, of his posts are like one sentences long, and without much thought, I put him at lower contribution player. Contribution wise, I agree Saudade is far superior to Poseidon.
DoubtingThomas wrote:Umlaut - I've mentioned multiple times that I like his play. seems townie. the only problem I have with him is that he starts a conversation with me, then decides to 'not want to tunnel me' by staying on my vote and ignoring my responses. Really toxic play as town. Again, it's so toxic and scummy that it's probably what a town would do. I don't think he would overplay like this in a townie game. Still his essential tunneling makes him less townie than before. I still like his reaction to the L-1 vote and that he points out what's scummy about me, although not quite convinced. downgrade to
slight town
Probably better to let others comment on this one, but I'll say I think you should focus less on how people interact with you specifically if you're trying to sort them.
I didn't get too much out of your interaction with others, because a lot of it was to me/about me.
DoubtingThomas wrote:LaserGuy - I honestly see nothing really on him. Others have put him at town, and I put him at some town to some degree early game, but I am definitely always skeptical of putting someone at town or scum over the first few posts. I like his consistent inquisitorial behavior towards me, but it's quite hard to tell, as it will be extremely easy for scums to just follow on the DT bandwagon. nothing scummy, but it's hard to really get a strong town read from his play. I also think his post #146 "Reading it over, my first instinct is this sounds like scum giving up on a buddy." is a little quick to judgement without explanation, but I mean everyone reads me as scum, so I guess it's hard to help it. I do not like, however, that he voted me 3 minutes after he has posted post #146 on post #147. I mean.. why did you take 2~3 minutes to vote me on a separate post? [.v]DoubtingtThomas[/v] doesn't take that long to post? Maybe just real life? but weird indeed. Less townie than before... close to
null
What's the most plausible town reason for taking a few minutes to vote after that post? What's the most plausible scum reason? Which of these is more likely? Answering questions like this may help you sort LaserGuy.
Taking 'real life' as a reason for voting late. I think most likely explanation if he is scum is he is too focused on his scum game that he forgot the point of the game as a town is to find scum and vote him. That's why he voted me a bit late, because he was unoccupied by the thought of voting. As a town, well I don't think there would be any logical reason for it in terms of it being part of the game. As town, he should have voted in the same post when he really thought I was a definite scum -- enough to vote for me.

Let me ask yoshi the same question --

What would scum!DoubtingThomas get out of by giving up on a buddy that said 4 things on Day 1?
DoubtingThomas wrote:nonny - Although I've been 'tunneling' on her. (yes, I legitimately saw her as scum, but I also exaggerated my interactions and reactions on purpose to see others' reactions as well as hers) I really like that she is consistent with her behavior of not putting a read list. If I advocated that hard for her to push a read list, most scums and even less established townies would have come up with some sort of compromise, she simply ignored me. That's an excellent attitude as a town, and I like to give her more credit. Although, if I were to bet money on whether or not she is a scum or town, I might have to go with scum because of my previous scum reads which I think are legitimate, she is definitely less scummy
still scum lean, however
Assuming this is a legit read, I think it's a bit self-centered in that you are putting undue weight on nonny's pushes against you specifically. I'm guilty of this myself sometimes, when I start thinking anyone who claims they can't see my Aura of Towniness must be either blind or lying, but it's an error when I do it and it's an error when you do it too. Also, if you are putting out artificially exaggerated interactions and reactions you should expect to get scumread for looking artificial and hyperreactive.
go ISO her.

It's literally because most of his posts are about something towards TWAIN/read about me/and like 1 or 2 posts about Saudade demanding a summary of the last few pages

How can I not be self centered talking about her if 80% of the content she posted is about me/responding to me? lol

I am repeating it for like the fifth time. How does a town not have much comment on none of the players? The only thought of scum hunting she's contributed is how she thinks yoshi is town (following TWAIN) how she thinks TWAIN is town (like everyone else) and how she agrees with you about ignoring me.
DoubtingThomas wrote:TWAIN - Got town read by many people by two posts at the beginning, but I am not too convinced, as that kind of posts are easy enough for scums to say to get town read. Hard reads me and sausade as top two scum, but then votes Poseidon over one "anti-town" post, while saying "Terrible answer. Let's make you less indifferent." As if he's pressure voting Poseidon to get a reaction. correct me if I am wrong, but I think earlier in the post TWAIN was the one who pointed out to nonny or someone else that he is not fond of pressure voting? Although a lot of his posts seem towny, he's done many actions that are contradictory and scummy. He is one of the only 'newbs' in this newbie game that doesn't play like a newb, so I feel like he's capable of these plays as scum...

This is his logic of putting umlaut as town, but I more or so inquired a lot, and have been in active scumhunting as well, but he puts me at hard scum..... because I am more aggressive? and have different opinions to him? evolved from townish to
null to scum
I can understand discounting early "towny" posts as something scum could emulate, but I don't see pressure-voting Poseidon as contradictory at all, and I'm not sure what else you find contradictory. The last sentence just strikes me as "I'm salty about being scumread when I'm doing all the right things." I don't think you can disagree that my play and your play are markedly different (or else it's hilarious that you say my play is anti-town and toxic) so there's no reason someone should have the same read on both of us.
In post 199, TWAIN wrote:Btw DT, is the exact comment I made in regards to pressure voting.
Now, I agree with you that players need to participate, but ideally your vote should be cast on your most comfortable scumread. Pressure voting others to get active
should probably be done after firing a warning shot.
There's no contradiction with my vote on him, which occurred less than two hours after that post, mind you, so I was in full awareness of it as well.
??? If you say "ideally your vote should be cast on your most comfortable scumread", but your most comfortable scumreads are me and/or Saudade, but you are voting Poseidon. Isn't that not ideal in your standard?

I still don't think it's necessary to fire a warning shot when pressure voting already acts as a warning itself.

for the last bit : I wasn't talking about playstyle. I was talking about the actions TWAIN used to town read you was done exactly by me, so why is he on the other hand scum reading me? is what I am asking.
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #209 (isolation #47) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:37 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 207, Umlaut wrote:
In post 146, LaserGuy wrote:
In post 142, Umlaut wrote:
@LaserGuy
What do you make of []? I'm confident you're town and I think you're less sold on DT-is-scum than I am, so I'd like a second opinion before I drive any deeper into this tunnel.
Reading it over, my first instinct is this sounds like scum giving up on a buddy.
Really? That's not what I got at all. If DT and Poseidon were both scum, I'd expect scum!DT would rather hold out for Poseidon to be replaced, and would either say so explicitly or else call everyone idiots for wanting to lynch an inactive and bring out the "too scummy to be scum" defense yet again. And if he were giving up on his buddy I'd expect him to explicitly call out said buddy as scummy, whereas DT never expressed suspicion of Poseidon even in itself.

(If a genie told me the scumteam is exactly DoubtingThomas-Poseidon I would guess not that DT was busing, but that his intent to hammer wasn't genuine in the first place and was calculated specifically to provoke "no, don't hammer" reactions that he could cite later as a reason for being off the wagon.)

What I took from it, given that DT never expressed suspicion of Poseidon even in itself, was more that
if
Poseidon is town then DT was scum seizing on an opportunity to end a day that's gone very badly for him.

That's what I am trying to get at.

How like is it for scum!DT to bus scum!Poseidon when Poseidon said like 4 things
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #210 (isolation #48) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:38 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 151, nonny wrote:
mod I will be v/la from tomorrow 7/27 until 7/31
I will be able to post some but
will only be mobile (and I hate posting while mobile) and not sure of access the whole time.

you made it sound like it was unlikely for you to get really involved..
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #211 (isolation #49) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:41 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 207, Umlaut wrote: What I took from it, given that DT never expressed suspicion of Poseidon even in itself, was more that
if
Poseidon is town then DT was scum seizing on an opportunity to end a day that's gone very badly for him.
Or DT is really town and just tired of half the people not really saying much and would like to see where to go from with more information available in d2
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #213 (isolation #50) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:46 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

Is it possible to ask for a substitute if poseidon and/or light ethos maintain having like one post a day?

Like If they came to post once only when they are prodded, do they get to stay in the game?
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #214 (isolation #51) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:48 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 203, Umlaut wrote: If you're town, then your reads are truthful, which is to say you lean town on Poseidon. That means if you had hammered him, as you stated intent to do in , you'd expect the most probable outcome to be that town!Poseidon is lynched day 1 and then town!you are lynched day 2 because of the hammer, putting us at 5-player LyLo without anything more to go on than what we have now. Is "I want the day to end" really a sufficient reason to put your team in that position?

no, it's not.

but I am not sure if 4 of the people on Poseidon wagon includes a scum. I think there's a higher probability that this is the case, but I can't be sure.

If all 4 are townie, then there's a high chance that Poseidon is a scum. If one of the four is scum, there's still a chance that Poseidon is a scum.

I didn't hammer, I just posted my intent to hammer, and didn't hammer after the deadline was reached. And Poseidon is still not back.

What are you questioning me for?
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #218 (isolation #52) » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:59 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

That's fine.

I signed up for the game, so I will respect the rules

can I ask the mod to prod Poseidon
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #282 (isolation #53) » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:18 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In otherwords, there is towncred to be given only because publicly laid out a reason for towncred to be given, whereas prior to it (when the wagon formed) there was no towncred to be earned.
In post 281, TWAIN wrote:>I made my case in order to clear the three of you out in my reads (well Umlaut was already town, but I very much had nothing on Light).
Dude, I am so confused.

Are you essentially saying there is only town cred given to them only because you publicly said there is towncred for them after the vote happened?

In post 269, TWAIN wrote:
In post 265, Umlaut wrote:TWAIN, I'm really not buying your statement that scum wouldn't be on town!Poseidon's wagon. There are a lot of problems with it:
  • Empirically, all-town mislynches are just really rare, so my prior for this is pretty low.
  • Light Ethos' vote has been parked there since RVS and should probably be taken as NAI.
  • nonny's vote predated Poseidon's worst posts by quite a bit and, even if she were scum and would prefer to keep him around, I could see her staying on the wagon for lack of a plausible reason to leave.
  • I'm pretty sure that as scum I would totally have voted Poseidon exactly when I did.
  • If you believe DoubtingThomas is scum, then you ought to believe scum would push any counterwagon they could get with DT under as much fire as he has been.
Hmm, I see where you're coming from.

>Empirically, all-town mislynches are just really rare, so my prior for this is pretty low.
I don't think that's really an issue on its own, if the circumstances allow it to happen, it can happen regardless of general rarity.

>Light Ethos' vote has been parked there since RVS and should probably be taken as NAI.
It was parked since RVS but it stopped being an RVS vote since , but I guess you can apply to him the point you applied to nonny instead.

>I'm pretty sure that as scum I would totally have voted Poseidon exactly when I did.
Can you explain the reasoning for that?

>If you believe DoubtingThomas is scum, then you ought to believe scum would push any counterwagon they could get with DT under as much fire as he has been.
Not sure on the any counterwagon part, because ultimately he'd just be in the centre of attention again D2. It wouldn't be farfetched to believe scum would at least try to divert the wagon towards someone with meaningful contributions.
Also none of your responses attempt to explain to umlaut why you believe there is certainly no scum in the poseidon wagon. seems scummy.

can you explain why there can't be a scum in the poseidon wagon?
DoubtingThomas
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
DoubtingThomas
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #283 (isolation #54) » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:24 am

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In post 265, Umlaut wrote:TWAIN, I'm really not buying your statement that scum wouldn't be on town!Poseidon's wagon. There are a lot of problems with it:
  • Empirically, all-town mislynches are just really rare, so my prior for this is pretty low.
  • Light Ethos' vote has been parked there since RVS and should probably be taken as NAI.
  • nonny's vote predated Poseidon's worst posts by quite a bit and, even if she were scum and would prefer to keep him around, I could see her staying on the wagon for lack of a plausible reason to leave.
  • I'm pretty sure that as scum I would totally have voted Poseidon exactly when I did.
  • If you believe DoubtingThomas is scum, then you ought to believe scum would push any counterwagon they could get with DT under as much fire as he has been.

Man, I can't explain why but the 4th and 5th point seems really townie for some reason.

and one thing that I am 99.9% sure from umlaut - twain exchange in the last page up to this page is they are probably not a scum team together.

I also don't know why TWAIN is seeing me as a scum. He's given me one of the reason is that
In post 228, TWAIN wrote:>>

>for the last bit : I wasn't talking about playstyle. I was talking about the actions TWAIN used to town read you was done exactly by me, so why is he on the other hand scum reading me? is what I am asking.
Because you also manage to be wrong on numerous accounts, while Umlaut's reasoning lines up in many cases with my own.
but.... townie (especially on a newbie game and I am newb as fuck???) can be wrong on many accounts. Hack, it should be more townie that they are wrong, because scum!newbie has more information than scum!townie.

can you give me an exact reason to why you are scum reading me this hard?

just because i am picking fights with everyone? isn't it possible for town to be doing that too?