Newbie 984 (Game Over |Town Wins!)

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:58 am

Welcome to Newbie 984


Mod: Robocopter87
Backup Mod: Nikanor

There was two, both together. Worked together. Helped each other. Hacked with each other. Killed with each other. You had no problem with this. Seeing as they were butchers. But the other pair of twins killed the butchers. You never knew who the twins really were and they had no resemblence to each other. But you were determined to find the twins. Hunt them down, and kill them. Simple concept really. But when you gathered the town together. All 9 of you together along with the hiding twins. You thought twice about how easy this was. But. still determined, you moved on. And now, here you are.


Bolded are confirmed.

Player list, Living

Substrike22, Vanilla Townie, Survived
el simo (SE), Vanilla Townie, Survived


Dead People
Illume, replaced lazypando, Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day One
Parknourie, Vanilla Townie, Shot Night One
Midnight's Sorrow, replaced Dizzle, Mafia Goon, Lynched Day two
Pizzaplate, Cop, Shot Night 2
Zinive, Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day 3
Nobody Special, Vanilla Townie, Shot Night 3
drmyshottyizsik, replacing cnnr, Mafia Goon, Lynched Day Four

Links to Important Stuff:
Day One Lynch
Night 1, Beginning of Day 2
Day two Lynch
Night 2 Death, Beginning of Day 3
Day Three Lynch
Night 3 Death, Beginning of Day Four
Day Four Lynch, Game Over
Last edited by Robocopter87 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am, edited 34 times in total.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:58 am

Rules:

General Rules

<1>My rule is Law, I settle debates. If you reject my rules then it shall result in a Modkill. Though I am awesome, I still make mistakes. Please do not hesitate to notify me when you think I have made a mistake.
<2>Darkred Is my color don't use it. Using it will be seen as impersonating the mod, which is a punishable offense.
<3>If you have private communication with me, the mod. It has to be secret. I allow paraphrasing for Roleclaiming. If you don't know if your allowed to tell what was said then ask me first. Assume it is bad to do so before my answer.
<4>Time does not affect anything in this game unless it is a game mechanic. The use of Timestamps as a reason against someone is prohibited.
<5>You are NOT allowed to talk outside the thread with any other player unless specified in your role pm. This is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. I have seen people been banned from queues for breaking this exact rule. Don't get banned.
<6>Don't post the links to quicktopics that are used unless I give you permission. If you do, you will be modkilled.
<7>Claiming to be scum, is prohibited. If you are scum, you are not allowed to claim your partners name. If you do, you will be modkilled.
<8>Don't use small, invisible, or encrypted text. if I can't read it, its unacceptable.
<9>If you find loopholes in any of the rules and use them it is considered not good sportsmanship and is punishable. This doesn't apply to game mechanics of course. If you find a loophole that seems important please do not hesitate to notify me immediately.
<10>Personal grudges, are NOT acceptable. Period.
<11>HAVE FUN!!!!
<12>Modkills will be enforced, don't think I'm a coward. If you do something that is a modkill offense, It will be done in a way that hurts your faction. You will be changed to a nuetral surviver. And automatically lose. But don't constantly worry about breaking the rules, I understand if you accidentally do something you shouldn't.
<13> Do not reference Ongoing Games. Strictly prohibited.

Posting, Voting, Deadline and Death
<1>Deadlines are a fixed 3 weeks. If there is a replacement I might allow an extensions. Extensions will not be longer than 1 week. Period.
<2>If you are going to be on vacation or unavailable for some time please inform me in thread or through a PM.
<3>If your V/LA covers too long a time I will replace you.
<4>If you do not post in 72 hours you shall be prodded.
<5>If you do not respond to the prod in another 24 hours. You shall be replaced.
<6>If you get 3 prods, you shall be replaced automatically. I will be lax with this if you start posting efficiently after third prod.
<7>Votes must be bolded or will not be counted, if you make the mistake of voting without bolding I will inform you that your vote was not counted in thread.(Ex. UNVOTE: Playername) This should be made easier by the new vote and unvote tags.
<8>Unvotes are not required but appreciated. Please Unvote before posting.(ex. UNVOTE: Playername)
<9>Abbreviations are acceptable as long as I can clearly tell who you mean.
<10>Lynches will happen when a Majority is reached. Majority is half of available votes plus one rounded down.
<11>If players so choose, you can vote for No lynch. Normal Majority is required for a No Lynch to pass.
<12>If at deadline there is no Majority, a No Lynch will occur. If there is a tie at deadline, a No Lynch will occur.
<13>Once there is a Majority, votes cannot be taken back. The decision is final.
<14>As soon as I have posted the scene of your death. You are no longer allowed to post in thread. I will allow 'Bah' posts as long as they are completely content less, and you are only allowed one.
<15>Nights will last 72 hours. If night actions are not submitted, they will not happen.


Just Have fun, follow the rules, play to your Win condition, and you won't have any problems!
Last edited by Robocopter87 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:59 am

In Newbie games there is four possibilities for setups.
1st Possibility~ 1xGoon 1x Roleblocker 7xTownies
2nd Possibility~ 1x Goon 1x Roleblocker 1xDoc 1xCop 5xTownies
3rd Possibility~ 2xGoon 1xCop 6xTownies
4th Possibility~ 2xGoon 1xDoc 6xTownies

The setup will be chosen at random. Also, if the goon dies in a setup with a Roleblocker the Roleblocker can block and kill at the same time still. And chose different targets if they so wish.

The following is the possible roles sent to players. Just because they are here do not mean they are in the game.

Town Faction PMs:

Vanilla Townie
Mod wrote:Townie:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Please Confirm by sending me a PM that says /confirm and your role name


Cop
Mod wrote:Cop:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that persons guilt or innocence.
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Please Confirm by sending me a PM that says /confirm and your role name


Doctor
Mod wrote:Doctor:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Please Confirm by sending me a PM that says /confirm and your role name


Mafia Faction PMs:

Goon
Mod wrote:Goon:

You are part of the local mafia along with your partner (PLayername) who is a (Partner Role here).
  • During the day, try to blend in with the town and atttempt to mislynch someone.
  • During the night cycle ONLY. You may talk in this quicktopic with your partner to discuss the strategy, kill and such. (Quicktopic).
  • Either you, or your partner, may send in the kill via pm by using the format Kill:Player.
  • Both of the Mafia may talk in the quicktopic before the day starts during what is known as, Night 0. As soon as it is day though, you may not talk at all.
  • You win when the Mafia outnumber the town, or nothing can prevent the same. Whether you survive to the end or not.

Please Confirm by sending me a PM that says /confirm and your role name


RoleBlocker
Mod wrote:Mafia Roleblocker:

You are part of the local Mafia along with your partner (PlayerName) who is a Goon.
  • During the Day, try and blend in with the Town and attempt to mislynch someone.
  • During the night cycle ONLY, you may talk with your partner in this quicktopic. (Quicktopic)
  • Being a Roleblocker, you may choose someone to not be able to use their night ability. Assuming they actually have a night ability.
  • During the night, when you and your partner have made a desicion, one of you PMs me the Kill. You the Mafia Roleblocker, send me who you want blocked in the format of Block:Player. Be specific on whether it is the kill or the Roleblock.
  • Before the game starts feel free to talk in the quicktopic to discuss an opening strategy. This is called Night 0. But as soon as it is Day, you may no longer speak in the topic till the next night.
  • You win when the Mafia outnumber the town or nothing can prevent the same. Whether you survive to the end or not.

Please Confirm by sending me a PM that says /confirm and your role name
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:17 am

Role PMs are out. Waiting on everyone's confirmation.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Alright, everyone has confirmed except for One Player.

Day One begins

Vote Count:
Pizzaplate (0)
Zinive (0)
cnnr (0)
parknourie (0)
lazypando (0)
Substrike22 (0)
el simo (0)
Dizzle (0)
Nobody Special (0)

Not voting~ Pizzaplate, Zinive, cnnr, parknourie, lazypando, Substrike22, el simo, Dizzle, Nobody Special

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch. Day One begins.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

Substrike22
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: July 13, 2010
Location: Northern California

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:24 pm

Hello everyone. :) it is my humble suggestion that we do not random lynch on the first night. Given that the intro summary suggested twins, I submit that it is likely that there are two mafia and either one doctor or sheriff. I believe firmly that, in the event there is a sheriff present, we give that person a few nights to investigate without fear of our lynching.

I humbly submit my vote, voting : no lynch

el simo
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: September 21, 2009

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:35 pm

If I read you correctly you are saying that because you believed the scum are twins, you believe that we have either a cop or a doctor in our midst and therefore vote in favour of giving a possible cop an investigation. This has so many flaws I'm struggling to find a place to start.

You are gambling the possibility of losing two townies with no information for losing two townies with two roles confirmed and a dead cop. No townsman would favour these odds.

The intro summary also clearly stated that the twins were of no resemblance to each other. If anything this proves the opposite of your point, but I wouldn't read that far in to it.

Your no lynch would also lose us the game, unless we do another no lynch or gamble on the chances of a doc save or find scum before the last days.

This coupled with your role fishing leaves me feeling pretty comfortable with a vote: Substrike22.

Not a very good starting post.
"How very Rambo-esque of you." - Bazz
"If el simo + Internet Stranger end up being scum in this game, I'm going to openly weep when we lose." chkflip

parknourie
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: June 11, 2010
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:47 am

Hi people of Newbie 984! I played this game once before in this website, but I still consider myself as a noob. So...I'm just glad to be here~
@Substrike22: It's first DAY btw...
@el simo: Whoa, slow down pal, it's his friggin' first post! and you are rushing to lynch him already?! That's not a very good start for you pal...I have my eyes on you now -_-
Sex and Golf are Two Things You Can Enjoy Without Being Very Good At It.
-Kevin Costner, Actor

Substrike22
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: July 13, 2010
Location: Northern California

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:38 am

@el simo and fellow players - I agree with parknourie in that it is suspicious that you would so quickly throw me under the bus, given a few key points you failed to either recognize or acknowledge. While the original post does suggest that the two twins look nothing like another, it is also clearly indicated that these two twins (in conjunction with one another) killed the two butchers in the town. Therefore it is fair to assume that these twins, while not necessarily identical, both worked in conjunction to kill. Additionally, the instructions provided by the narrator clearly implore the town to hunt down and kill the "twins", being plural, implying more than one mafia. However, even with these anomalies, I do not favor lynching anyone in the first round.

Personally I favor gathering information via observing who is killed in what order. Additionally, by allowing 1-2 townies to die to the mafia, we essentially increase our odds of selecting a mafia member during our lynching phase, while also slowing down the rate at which townies are losing their lives. It only benefits the mafia if townspeople begin to eliminate one another without any evidence or reasonable arguments.

Also, replying to your "odds" argument, it is your logic that is inherently flawed. If we randomly execute people it is no better than the mafia randomly selecting someone to kill. If we assume my set up, being that there are two mafia present, then by process of elimination we cannot have one of the set-ups involving only one mafia. Therefore we either have 1) 2 mafia and 1 sheriff or 2) 2 mafia and 1 doctor. Either way, we have roughly a 22.2% chance of randomly selecting a mafia member versus a 11.1% of accidentally executing the town favored role on this first day. If we wait 2 rounds, we increase our odds of selecting a mafia member to 28.6% while simultaneously increasing the odds of selecting a town sheriff or doctor to 14.3%. Initially this does not seem like a great advantage, however when you bring the town into the equation, there is a 6% greater chance of selecting a mafia member by waiting 2 rounds. 3% if we wait only one round. Either way if we randomly kill someone in the first round, it only serves in making the game shorter, a direction that clearly favors mafiascum. If the town and the mafia both kill in the first day/night cycle, the odds that the town's special role is killed increases to 25% as opposed to the 14.3%. That is roughly a 66% increase. The math is located here:

Town Kill + Mafia Kill = (11.1% + 16.6%) = (100%/9 + 100%/6) = 27.7%, with the 6 based on the fact that the mafia would not kill one of their own, plus the randomized day 1 killing. They are also mutually exclusive events.

@ parknourie ... I noticed I accidentally said "day" ((was on the net on my cellular, bad typing... I've played mafia before)), but couldn't figure out how to edit my post after the fact, to correct myself?

Substrike22
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: July 13, 2010
Location: Northern California

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:47 am

I apologize, I failed to note during the typing of the above post, that all 4 possible combinations still exist, seeing as how there could be a roleblocker/good combination. Nevertheless, I still rest my argument on the above case, with the additional caveat that if there are 2 special roles on the townie side, lynching someone on the first day only becomes more risky as it becomes increasingly probable that we will lynch one of the two town favored roles. There is a 50% chance that we have a sheriff in town, 50% chance of doctor, and 25% of both cop and doctor. There is likewise a 25% chance that neither a doctor nor sheriff exists. However acknowledging that there is a 75% chance of the existence of one of these two roles, it befits us to follow the logic in my above post.

((I apologize in advance for the double post, I know these are frowned upon, but I needed to avoid looking like an idiot.))

el simo
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: September 21, 2009

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:57 am

Substrike, I'm not sure if you realize this but the words you chose to use, "throwing under the bus" actually means for once scum to kill his partner in order to gain distance, so if I were you I'd try to avoid that saying when referring to yourself lol. So I'm going to assume you meant I am trying to lynch you.

If so, that is incredibly over defensive. Not once did I call you scum, nor did I call for your lynch. When you are getting this from, I do not know. What I do know is that a townsman would not react so over the top. You buckling under one vote and claiming I'm trying to get rid of you? OTT.

And as for the scum working in conjunction, that is absolutely true, because no matter the roles, scum work in conjunctions together. Roleblock and goon or goon and goon regardless. They discuss their plans and send in their kill based on it, also note that the role PM's show that either role can send in the kill because they are both capable of killing. As for the plural, same as before, goon and roleblocker still work together and we still have to kill both to win. Sorry my friend, but it is your logic that is inherently flawed.

In regards to your odds, if we don't lynch we end up with four players on day four, if we lynch it is three. Your situation puts is in the shitter at the most important part of the game.

Not to mention that no kill is ever random and that the amount of information we gain from day one and two lynches are invaluable, which your no lynch robs us of.
"How very Rambo-esque of you." - Bazz
"If el simo + Internet Stranger end up being scum in this game, I'm going to openly weep when we lose." chkflip

el simo
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: September 21, 2009

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:59 am

And as for the "trying to lynch him already!?" comment, since when? I didn't even call him scum. You are both being over defensive, which is inherently a scummy trait. You can have your eye on me all you want but if I were you I'd be more concerned about your own play at this point in time because right now it ain't looking too protown.
"How very Rambo-esque of you." - Bazz
"If el simo + Internet Stranger end up being scum in this game, I'm going to openly weep when we lose." chkflip

Zinive
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: June 12, 2010

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:41 am

First hello everyone.

Substrike22 you are new to this forum but are new to Mafia games as well? I would like to know how many games you have played before.

El simo is right about not wanting no lynch here a quote from the mafia wiki:

It has been argued that in the early stages of the game, if it is known that the Mafia has fewer members than the town, it can be a valid tactic, for those with a good knowledge of math at least, to let the night phase go and handle investigations. For example, if it is known that there are 15 Town and 4 Mafia, the odds of lynching a townie on day one with limited information are much higher, therefore giving an extra kill to the Mafia. However, this is not the case. Voting No Lynch in the early game causes the town to lose one possible lynch, so instead of having 3 chances to find the mafia, they only have 2 chances.


The last part of this quote is the most important you must realize that the number of lynches we have is limited before we loose. Currently if we do 3 mislynches in a row we loose. No lynch will reduce that number to 2.

@Park why did you practically FoS el Simo (you didn't use FoS but said you keep your eyes on him) for voting fast but not Substrike22. I mean substrike voted in the first post in this game but you ignored that. Especially since nolynch is just as bad as accidentally Lynching a townie.

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:57 am

I'm hear to say that in Newbie Games. Flavor has nothing to do with the game. Its just something to make it a little more interesting.

Flavor, or absence of flavor, should not be used as a reason to vote anyone.

My twins flavor was just for fun. It made a little more sense to put twins with two people. That is all.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

Substrike22
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: July 13, 2010
Location: Northern California

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:40 am

@ Zinive, suffice to say I've played quite a few but admittedly I've only played real life games where the types and number of roles were revealed to everyone at the beginning.

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Vote Count:
Pizzaplate (0)
Zinive (0)
cnnr (0)
parknourie (0)
lazypando (0)
Substrike22 (1) el simo
el simo (0)
Dizzle (0)
Nobody Special (0)
No lynch(1) Substrike22

Not voting~ Pizzaplate, Zinive, cnnr, parknourie, lazypando, Dizzle, Nobody Special

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch.\

Hey, gonna send out a PM to all players in this game. Its just gonna say that day one begins. If you've already posted in here don't worry. This doesn't count towards prod count.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

Nobody Special
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: January 06, 2010
Location: Not here

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi, everyone!

I'm your friendly neighborhood Inexperienced Challenged player, or IC for short.

What that means, basically, is that I'm here to help guide you through the mystery that is MafiaScum.net.

If you have any questions about how we play here, feel free to ask me. My actions are governed by this article in our Wiki. If you haven't already, you might consider browsing our Wiki; especially the articles Newbie Guide and Commonly Used Abbreviations.

Regardless of my role in this game, I won't mislead you about theory or proper gameplay. My role as an IC comes before my role in this game (and they're separate roles), so at times, you may see me putting my IC Hat On and then taking my IC Hat Off.

Because of my severe dislike of the RVS (you did read the Common Abbreviations, didn't you? I'll wait.) I like to start off with RQS; the Random Question Stage!

Forthwith:

1) Are you having fun yet?

2) Chocolate or vanilla?

3) How many Mafia games have you played (here or elsewhere)?

4) Lynch all Liars?

5) Math or Sports?

6) Lynch all Lurkers?

7) What do you think of the RVS?


I'll post my answers soon, or after everyone, depending on consensus.


****

That being said, my internet is spotty through the weekend; I will certainly be here late Monday, but not so much until then.
....what?


Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)

el simo
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: September 21, 2009

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:17 pm

I am having fun, most games I am bored with for the first few pages but Substrike has provided me with some good early content to go on which is unusual for me!

Chocolate thanks.

I have played five games on this site, but I've been playing mafia on other sites since about 2006, so I've got a fair few under my belt.

I think lying is definitely scummy, but having said that I think it has to be taken into account. I caught a player lying in my last game and he turned out to be the doc, so no, not lynch all liars.

Sports plz.

Lynch all passive lurkers!

RVS is a good starter, excellent for putting on some early pressure and getting some valuable reactions.
"How very Rambo-esque of you." - Bazz
"If el simo + Internet Stranger end up being scum in this game, I'm going to openly weep when we lose." chkflip

Pizzaplate
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: June 12, 2010

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi everyone, this is my second newbie game and I've learned a lot from my first (which I lost...)

Now this is interesting.

@Substrike, you're saying that we shouldn't randomly lynch someone on day 1 (night one, but yeah.). Well, while that may be true, we aren't voting randomly. Plenty of other games will reveal enough on day 1 to allow us to make an educated guess on who is mafia.

I find it suspicious of you to declare you're not voting on day 1 straight off the bat.

This post was made before the other post was posted. But I had a chance to change it due to these forums ( yay )
So I'll answer these questions

1) Are you having fun yet?
Mafia's always fun. But considering as this is my first post, not too much fun.
2) Chocolate or vanilla?
what?
3) How many Mafia games have you played (here or elsewhere)?
1
4) Lynch all Liars?
If you can prove they're lying, it would certianly contribute to their lynch.
5) Math or Sports?
what?
6) Lynch all Lurkers?
Not in a newbie game in the summer.
7) What do you think of the RVS?
Define RVS
No matter how old you get, you cannot tire of pizza.

el simo
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: September 21, 2009

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Random Voting Stage
"How very Rambo-esque of you." - Bazz
"If el simo + Internet Stranger end up being scum in this game, I'm going to openly weep when we lose." chkflip

Zinive
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: June 12, 2010

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:02 pm

1) Are you having fun yet?
Nope

2) Chocolate or vanilla?
Vanilla

3) How many Mafia games have you played (here or elsewhere)?
dunno around 5 or 7

4) Lynch all Liars?
Yep

5) Math or Sports?
I'm too lazy for both of these

6) Lynch all Lurkers?
I have seen a lot of newbies lurking so no.

7) What do you think of the RVS?
Dunno I guess you have to begin somewhere but in general I dislike random voting.

Pizzaplate
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: June 12, 2010

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:07 pm

RVS? I think that if someone votes randomly, we could judge the reactions of everyone else and get a lot more information that way. So the RVS is good, unless it turns into a bandwagon to lynch a townie. That tends to suck.
No matter how old you get, you cannot tire of pizza.

Substrike22
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: July 13, 2010
Location: Northern California

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Let me say that I'll vote if we have solid evidence or a suspicion on someone, I'm not here to hinder the town, but in my experience as a mafia player, townies lynching townies early only hurts the town side of things. I'm aware of the Wiki article that was cited explaining the over-simplified mechanic that we trade 3 shots at a mafia member for 2, but I believe I provided a post-and-a-half of statistics on why I do not believe casting an "RVS"-type vote.

I will, however, play along fully with the RQS, if people believe that the random questions help. In the order the questions were posed:

1. Yes, I'm having fun. It's definitely a different experience then playing in a non-forum venue, i.e. with a group of friends.
2. Chocolate, usually.
3. Somewhere around 50-60, but this is my first online, and first in a situation where the roles have not been numerically defined at the beginning, which is making things interesting from my standpoint.
4. 95% of the time. I agree with El Simo's statement that sometimes a sheriff or doctor will lie to protect themselves and therefore don't believe in lynching all liars.
5. Sports, but I do enjoy statistics.
6. Depends on what you define as a lurker. I feel that people that talk too much sometimes cast unnecessary suspicion on themselves. Yet, saying too little also sometimes has that effect.
7. I believe I've made my position on the RVS clear through my first two posts, and somehow my desire to preserve citizen lives has placed me under suspicion by a few members of the town.

I only declare that I'm not voting due to the statistics I provided, unless some major incident occurs. I'm clearly not mafia as I've attracted a whole host of attention to myself right off the first post. While I may be new to the online game, I am not stupid. I believe that if you examine the statistical argument I made, you will see that this is an unbiased argument that does not reveal any connection to any particular role. I am simply discussing numbers. I acknowledge that we lose 1 lynch opportunity, but it also allows the game to develop in a natural way, allowing the mafia to attack two citizens over two days, with either 1) two opportunities for the sheriff to gather SOLID, CREDIBLE information, or 2) two opportunities for the doctor to make a save on someone's life, thus proving their innocence and further increasing the odds of a proper selection of a mafia member during our first lynching. Should neither of these two roles exist, obviously my strategy puts us at a disadvantage. I do not deny this, yet I would once again reference my statistically based argument that there is only a 25% probability of that scenario versus a 75% probability that at least one of the two roles exists.

Also, El Simo, when you claim to have "not called for my lynch", I would question why then your name is written in the voting box beside mine, for lynching? You are blatantly lying when you say you have not started pushing people my direction. You are using all sorts of logical fallacies in attempting to push votes my direction, including twisting my words into what you want them to say. I have always used the term "throwing under the bus" when referring to anyone pushing votes someone's direction. This was not meant to be read into and it would be a vast mistake on your part to do so. In regards to my vigorous defense, I believe defending yourself from being removed from the game is a fairly natural response. I am presenting logical arguments as opposed to your "oh well he said this which could mean this"... in addition to a million other things it could mean.

Note that when you claim I am "rolefishing", I never once asked for the doctor or sheriff to declare themselves as such, nor post anything that would hint to those possibilities. Instead I have, thus far, outside of defending myself from your relatively relentless attacks, discussed only game theory and how I believe the town should approach this game. That required discussion of the roles. I find it odd that I am so comfortable in discussing these roles, yet having these roles discussed is clearly making you uncomfortable? Is not honesty, for the town's side, the best policy? I am not attempting to shift suspicion onto you, but you should more carefully consider whether or not the arguments you are using against me carry any kind of credible weight.

Nobody Special
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: January 06, 2010
Location: Not here

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:43 pm

Substrike22 wrote:but I do enjoy statistics.


I never would have guessed.
....what?


Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)

Substrike22
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: July 13, 2010
Location: Northern California

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Lol ;)

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games