Newbie 1137 (Game OVer!|Scum win!)

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:04 pm

WELCOME TO NEWBIE 1137!

Hello all!

My name is Mr. RoboCopter87!

Guess what!

I'm a magician...

Let me tell you my story. I was born and raised in San Fransisco. I was the weird kid in my class. The one who nobody liked. The one who was an outcast because deep down everybody knew I was smarter. More clever. I was quick. Especially with my hands.

My magic tricks were the only thing that kept me from being bullied and picked on. If they were mean to me I could make them look like a fool before they got another insult out.

I grew up to make my own magic shop. And I've lived there ever since. But I've grown tired of all this tedious marketing. I want more action. And I know just how to get it.

As you can tell, Magic is everything for me.

And now I'm going to share it with you.

But I'm not a man of safety. We are going to play a game.

Two among you are evil. Killers. Ready to strike when I tell them. They are trying to kill all of you. And I have no issue with that. But I will give you a sporting chance.

Everyday I will let you decide on one of you to kill. Then I kill them and I tell you if they were good or bad. Then every night I knock you all out with my sleeping powder. Except for two. Don't worry. I'm so quick you won't even have time to see who I didn't knock out.

Then they will choose to kill one of you. The sun rises and you start over.

Until they kill all of you, or you kill both of them.

Haha...

Good Luck! You'll need it.


Living Player List (6/9) :
SomeRandomGuy
cymru96 Nicholay Romance
Kabooshy Lisa-Ann
Supreme Overlord (SE)
hiplop (IC)

Dead Player List (3/9):

mozamis, Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day One
SodaSpirit17, Doctor, Shot Night One
sorgster, Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day Two
David Xanatos, , Vanilla Townie, Shot Night Two
Last edited by Robocopter87 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:05 pm

Rules:

General Rules

<1>My rule is Law, I settle debates. If you reject my rules then it shall result in a Modkill. Though I am awesome, I still make mistakes. Please do not hesitate to notify me when you think I have made a mistake.
<2>Darkred Is my color don't use it. Using it will be seen as impersonating the mod, which is a punishable offense.
<3>If you have private communication with me, the mod. It has to be secret. I allow paraphrasing for Roleclaiming. If you don't know if your allowed to tell what was said then ask me first. Assume it is bad to do so before my answer.
<4>Time does not affect anything in this game unless it is a game mechanic. The use of Timestamps as a reason against someone is prohibited.
<5>You are NOT allowed to talk outside the thread with any other player unless specified in your role pm. This is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. I have seen people been banned from queues for breaking this exact rule. Don't get banned.
<6>Don't post the links to quicktopics that are used unless I give you permission. If you do, you will be modkilled.
<7>Claiming to be scum, is prohibited. If you are scum, you are not allowed to claim your partners name. If you do, you will be modkilled.
<8>Don't use small, invisible, or encrypted text. if I can't read it, its unacceptable.
<9>If you find loopholes in any of the rules and use them it is considered not good sportsmanship and is punishable. This doesn't apply to game mechanics of course. If you find a loophole that seems important please do not hesitate to notify me immediately.
<10>Personal grudges, are NOT acceptable. Period.
<11>Swearing a lot isn't tolerated by me. If you are angry. Take a quick breather, take a walk, but don't let loose in thread. Once or twice is alright, get the point across, I'd prefer if you didn't but a lot of people swear naturally. But overuse is not allowed. I hope you would know what the limit is.
<12>HAVE FUN!!!!
<13>Modkills will be enforced, don't think I'm a coward. If you do something that is a modkill offense, It will be done in a way that hurts your faction. You will be changed to a nuetral surviver. And automatically lose. But don't constantly worry about breaking the rules, I understand if you accidentally do something you shouldn't.

Posting, Voting, Deadline and Death
<1>Deadlines are a fixed 3 weeks. If there is a replacement I might allow an extensions. Extensions will not be longer than 1 week. Period.
<2>If you are going to be on vacation or unavailable for some time please inform me in thread or through a PM.
<3>If your V/LA covers too long a time I will replace you.
<4>If you do not post in 72 hours you shall be prodded.
<5>If you do not respond to the prod in another 24 hours. You shall be replaced.
<6>If you get 3 prods, you shall be replaced automatically. I will be lax with this if you start posting efficiently after third prod.
<7>Votes must be bolded or will not be counted, if you make the mistake of voting without bolding I will inform you that your vote was not counted in thread.(Ex. VOTE: Playername) This should be made easier by the new vote and unvote tags.
<8>Unvotes are not required but appreciated. Please Unvote before voting again.(ex. UNVOTE: Playername)
<9>Abbreviations are acceptable as long as I can clearly tell who you mean.
<10>Lynches will happen when a Majority is reached. Majority is half of available votes plus one rounded down.
<11>If players so choose, you can vote for No lynch. Normal Majority is required for a No Lynch to pass.
<12>If at deadline there is no Majority, a No Lynch will occur. If there is a tie at deadline, a No Lynch will occur.
<13>Once there is a Majority, votes cannot be taken back. The decision is final.
<14>As soon as I have posted the scene of your death. You are no longer allowed to post in thread. I will allow 'Bah' posts as long as they are completely content less, and you are only allowed one.


Just Have fun, follow the rules, play to your Win condition, and you won't have any problems!
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:09 pm

2of4 SetupThe 2of4 setup is a test game format we’re trying out in Newbie games to get around balance issues with the F11 setup. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen as detailed below:

  • 1 Mafia Goon
  • 1 Mafia RoleCop
  • 5 Vanilla Townies
  • 2 of the following (no duplicates possible): (Cop 25%, Doctor 25%, Jailkeeper 25%, Vanilla Townie 25%)
Notes
  1. The RoleCop has the option of submitting both the night kills and investigations, even when the Goon is still alive.
  2. Mafia must specify who is performing what Night action when the Night action PM is submitted!
These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:Mafia

name (a Mafia RoleCop) and name (a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via QuickTopic, linked below) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of who to kill and who is performing the kill before the Night deadline.
  • The Mafia RoleCop has the ability to investigate another player and learn their specific role (Townie, Cop, Doc, or Jailkeeper).
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate (usually along with the kill) before the Night deadline.
  • If the Mafia RoleCop is blocked by a Town Jailkeeper then the RoleCop will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
  • You may communicate privately via QuickTopic with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened (this is called Night 0). Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • Please do not communicate with each other outside of the QT.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.


Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:Townie

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.

  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:Cop

You are a member of the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.

  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate before the Night deadline.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • If you are blocked by a Town Jailkeeper you will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.


Mod wrote:Doctor

You are a physician, and can use your medical training to protect people from harm.

  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect before the Night deadline.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You will not be informed as to whether your protection was successful or not.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.


Mod wrote:Jailkeeper:

You are a prison guard, and it’s your job to ensure the undesireables are kept in their place.

  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to send to jail before the Night deadline.
  • If the jailed player attempts to use a Night action (Investigate, Protect, or Kill), their action will not resolve.
  • If the jailed player is the target of a Kill that action will not resolve. Any other actions (Investigate or Protect) will resolve.
  • Neither you nor your target will be made aware of whether your own action was successful.
  • You may not put yourself in jail.
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:10 pm

Role PMs going out.

Once everyone has confirmed game will start.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:03 am

Hey guys! The weirdest hing has happened, I have three unconfirmed players! This has never happened. The max I've ever gotten was one.

So yeah, going to steal three replacements. Then once they have confirmed, game will start.
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

Robocopter87
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 18, 2009
Location: Yes

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:33 pm

With 7 confirmed, Day One starts. I'm tired of waiting. I apologize for the wait guys. Lets just get this going.

__________
:|Vote Count|:

sorgster [0]
mastermind963852741 [0]
Princess Kiwi [0]
SodaSpirit17 [0]
Nicholay Romance [0]
Kabooshy [0]
Morthas [0]
Supreme Overlord [0]
hiplop [0]


:|Not Voting|:
sorgster, mastermind963852741, Princess Kiwi, SodaSpirit17, Nicholay Romance, Kabooshy, Morthas, Supreme Overlord, hiplop

:|Amount to Lynch|:
With 9 Alive it is 5 to Lynch.

:|Deadline|:
Midnight of August, 17th, EDT.
__________
Although the border between madness and genius is very narrow.

"I am so totally obsessed with you. You caught me." - Tracy

hiplop
Jury Darling
 
Joined: March 23, 2011
Location: full of self

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:02 pm

Hey everyone, I'm your IC for this game. I am more-or-less a teacher, to help you guys get used to Mafia Scum, and i will be trying my very best to follow this guide. I am not here to play the game for you, merely to help you adapt to Mafia Scum, or mafia in general, really. I am still playing to win, but I can answer any questions you guys might have. I have fun playing mafia, and I hope you guys will too; at the end of the day its a game, and we're here to have fun.

I thought I'd take the time to mention some of the sites features. On the bottom right below the SUBMIT button, there is a drop-down menu with the heading of "Display Posts by User:___" This is used to ISOLATE (or ISO for short) another player, and see only their posts. It's pretty helpful later on in the game, as it lets you see all of their posts in a nice little list. I quite like it, and great for Post by Post analysis.

In the bottom right corner, just above the Quick-Jump menu, there's an Activity Over-view link, it just shows how many times each player has posted; good for finding lurkers/seeing who is posting lots.

We have a site wiki, that you can easily find by either going to the top right of the page, or simply going to mafiascum.net homepage, its a tool to be used, but some parts are outdated and fairly archaic. You can learn mafia theory pretty well from the wiki, but the only way to really learn how to play is by actively partaking in discussions, and just playing for yourself, really.

Some wiki's I recommend reading are: A Beginner's Guide to Being Awesome At Mafia, and Commonly Used Abbreviations. The first is a really,really good guide, and its good for newbies, and experienced players. It really explains the concept of mafia well, and I REALLY recommend you guys check it out, and the second is just to help you understand everything that is being said.

Here at MafiaScum, we usually start Day One with a RVS (Random Vote Stage). It helps kick-off discussion, and you get to see how certain players handle pressure. It's a fun little time where you can joke around; it doesn't last too long, as usually someone finds SOMETHING to venture on with.

So if you guys have any questions; feel free to ask, I won't bite, I promise :)

I thought I would kind-of get to know you guys, we will be residing in the same town for a few days ;)

1) Have anyone of you played any off-site games?
2)How about on-site games? If so; How Many?
3) How would you describe yourself as an individual?
4) What do you think you will be remembered for this game?

VOTE: Supreme Overlord because, overlords don't sound very town-friendly!
third best scummer of all time

SodaSpirit17
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: June 25, 2011

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:10 am

hello guys! how much experience have you all had with mafia?
~I'm SS17 and I approved this message.~

SodaSpirit17
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: June 25, 2011

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:18 am

In lieu of hip

1) Have anyone of you played any off-site games? Yes. Quite a few. And I've played board mafia, AIM mafia, mafia irl.
2)How about on-site games? If so; How Many? No but I'm playing Toy Story Mafia.
3) How would you describe yourself as an individual? Humorous, yet sneaky, evil, but still nice.
4) What do you think you will be remembered for this game? I'm not sure. Just I want to be remembered for the things I did to help town, and not for any screw ups I made after the game.
~I'm SS17 and I approved this message.~

SodaSpirit17
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: June 25, 2011

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:19 am

Also what's yall's nicknames.

You can call me Soda, SS17 anything really but those would be most recognizable.
~I'm SS17 and I approved this message.~

hiplop
Jury Darling
 
Joined: March 23, 2011
Location: full of self

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:31 am

Oh! Jeesh I completely forgot to answer my own questions!

1) Have anyone of you played any off-site games? Yeah, played off site for like a year before my friend told me about this place
2)How about on-site games? If so; How Many? Yeah, I've played 20+ games here
3) How would you describe yourself as an individual? Eh, I'd consider myself nice overall. I love acting, and drama in general. I can be pretty crazy, and I do goof around a lot. ~just a smalltown boy, living in a lonely world~
4) What do you think you will be remembered for this game? Hopefully being a good IC, this is my first IC game, so I hope i do a good job haha

Most call me hip, hippy or some variation on that. And with that, i'm off to bed :)
third best scummer of all time

SodaSpirit17
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: June 25, 2011

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:32 am

G'night Hippy!

Also nice avvy.
~I'm SS17 and I approved this message.~

Morthas
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: June 10, 2010
Location: Bognor Regis

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:11 am

hiplop wrote:1) Have anyone of you played any off-site games?
2)How about on-site games? If so; How Many?
3) How would you describe yourself as an individual?
4) What do you think you will be remembered for this game?

1) Nooope.
2) Yeeeep. Around 5.
3) Friggin' awesome, depressed shit.
4) Faillogic.

hiplop wrote:I thought I would kind-of get to know you guys, we will be residing in the same town for a few days :wink:

I am getting a feeling i should be more cautious of you, for my personal safety if anything.

2 Evil sounding figures. Supreme Overlord and mastermind963852741. Which do i vote?
The one with tons of random numbers.
VOTE: mastermind963852741
Capitalism, ho

SodaSpirit17
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: June 25, 2011

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:15 am

We don't want to get screwed over by the experienced player. So we shouldn't directly follow his lead. However, he can give us tips.
~I'm SS17 and I approved this message.~

Morthas
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: June 10, 2010
Location: Bognor Regis

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:25 am

SodaSpirit17 wrote:We don't want to get screwed over by the experienced player. So we shouldn't directly follow his lead. However, he can give us tips.

Did I somewhere follow his lead blindly? If not, my bad and yes that is true.

Edit: Oh you wanted a nick, call me Morphius.
Capitalism, ho

Princess Kiwi
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: May 26, 2011
Location: The middle of nowhere

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:53 am

1) Have anyone of you played any off-site games?
Yes. I've played quiet a few games on another website, and I've hosted one on another website as well.

2)How about on-site games? If so; How Many?
I've finished one game (1106 which I replaced into), have replaced into another game (1134), and I'm in this game. So I guess three now that this has started.

3) How would you describe yourself as an individual?
Hard working, determined, very, very spiteful and sarcastic by nature.

4) What do you think you will be remembered for this game?
Aggressive playstyle and wall-posts.

-------------------------------------------

My questions for everyone else:

1. How do you feel about ICs? With ICs being the most helpful role in the game, it's easy to get town reads from ICs even though there is a chance they are scum. Do you tend to give ICs a free pass unless they really mess up, or are you suspicious of them from the get-go?
Answer: I personally don't like to give anyone a free pass, and it kind of goes with my aggressive playstyle. I don't like to let anything slide, or anyone, no matter how helpful their role may be. I am always paranoid of ICs because of this.

2. How do you feel about lurkers? Are they a free lynch because there is no evidence coming from them? Are you more likely to vote for lurkers based off of policy, or are you likely to vote for the active players?
-I don't really go by lurkers, seeing as I've been in the position before where I couldn't post for three days straight, due to outside circumstances. I do firmly believe however, that if you are going to be inactive, then you should at least post a notice in the thread.

3. Are you likely to allow newbies to get away with things that could be scumtells, and write them off as newb tells instead?
Nope, not at all. Just because this is your first game I won't let a slip up pass me, because there is always the possibility of newb scum. I will question said newb until I deem their answers sufficient.

4. Do you prefer RVS (Random Voting Stage) or RQS (random questioning stage)?
I prefer Random Questioning stage, because it allows us to gather information. I tried the whole RVS thingy on the other website and got lynched for it D-1, and ever since I have a thing against random voting.

5. Do you believe that players should post reasons for their votes, rather than just placing a vote?
Yes. I am a firm believer in being able to back up your vote when you place your vote, rather than simply saying 'You seem scummy'. At least make a reference to which post[s] make that player seem scummy, so that you can have some kind of evidence when questioned.

6. How do you feel about wall-posts?
Personally, I love them. I love going through the entire thread and finding little pieces of evidence that I find quoteworthy, and I'll quote exactly which posts I find scummy, give post numbers, bold portions I find scummiest, and ask direct questions about the quotes I've posted. In short, I am a very, very detailed person and you will probably see a few wall-posts from me. It annoys a lot of people, and I know even more won't read it, but it's a great way to get the details out without cluttering the thread.

7. Do you prefer scum, town, or PR roles?
I personally prefer scum roles over PR or town roles, because they take a lot of strategy and planning, and if you don't have just the right timing things can go horribly awry and backfire. I like being scum because I know who everyone is (minus PRs), and I have a better shot of analysing the town as to who I think might hold a PR role, and thus go directly after my biggest threat. Whereas as a regular old townie, it's really boring. And a lot of bickering between townies, and easy to get confused and point fingers at each other.

8. Do you prefer aggressive or passive playstyles?
I have a very aggressive playstyle accompanied by many wall posts and VCA (Vote count analysis), because I find that to be an affective playstyle. Not only that, but it makes me prime target for NKs, which will leave evidence behind for the town to figure out who the scum are based off of who I attacked. While it does bite that I get NKed quiet a bit, it provides a lot of evidence and helps gather information.

9. What timezone is everyone in?
I'm GMT-6...US Central timezone. It's currently 1:53 AM

I had a few more questions but I forgot, so I'll probably ask them later.

As far as my nickname is concerned, you can call me PK if you don't want to type out my full username.

Aaaand:

Hiplop wrote: I am still playing to win, but I can answer any questions you guys might have.


What do you mean you're 'still playing to win'. I don't know if I'm twisting words or not here, but this was the first thing that jumped out to me. It seems like something a scum IC would say: I'm here to help, but I'm still playing to win regardless. Just pointing this out. [/paranoia of IC roles]
~Princess Kiwi~

In the immortal words of Workdawg- "Holy fuck, this just happened?"

SodaSpirit17
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: June 25, 2011

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:19 am

Nice to meet you Morphius, and no, this is my first game, so I don't know who the heck any of you are. Hippy just stated he was IC, so he knows a lil sumtin sumtin and he might assume the leader role.

As for Kiwi
1. I like them but when they start to become like masters and we're their slaves then I get wary
2. I'm actually more likely to vote for active players. Not saying I wouldn't vote for a lurker.
3. Na, one screw up you're outta here.
4. RQS I suppose. Just to gather info as you said.
5. Not necessarily. I mean if they just vote out of the blue without posting anything before that's a different story, but yea.
6. No opinion. Not sure what they are exactly.
7. Scum roles are more fun to use strategy wise, and I'm a man of strategy.
8. Definitely aggressive.
9. -7. It's 1:19 am
~I'm SS17 and I approved this message.~

Supreme Overlord
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: May 10, 2010
Location: Queensland, Australia

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:24 am

hiplop wrote:1) Have anyone of you played any off-site games?
2)How about on-site games? If so; How Many?
3) How would you describe yourself as an individual?
4) What do you think you will be remembered for this game?
1. Yep, a couple of my friends and I play regularly (very small, unprofessional setups, though).
2. This is my fifth game; IC-hood is just around the corner!
3. I am fairly intelligent and quite confident in myself.
4. Dying early (seriously, it's happened a few times).

Princess Kiwi wrote:1. How do you feel about ICs? With ICs being the most helpful role in the game, it's easy to get town reads from ICs even though there is a chance they are scum. Do you tend to give ICs a free pass unless they really mess up, or are you suspicious of them from the get-go.
2. How do you feel about lurkers? Are they a free lynch because there is no evidence coming from them? Are you more likely to vote for lurkers based off of policy, or are you likely to vote for the active players?
3. Are you likely to allow newbies to get away with things that could be scumtells, and write them off as newb tells instead?
4. Do you prefer RVS (Random Voting Stage) or RQS (random questioning stage)?
5. Do you believe that players should post reasons for their votes, rather than just placing a vote?
6. How do you feel about wall-posts?
7. Do you prefer scum, town, or PR roles?
8. Do you prefer aggressive or passive playstyles?
9. What timezone is everyone in?
1. I tend to hold ICs to a very high standard, simply because they should know better than the pure newbies. Particularly with claiming, I want to get it out there right now that I believe nobody should claim unless a) they are at L-1 and b) someone not on the wagon has asked for a claim and is intending to hammer. The addendum to that is, if the claim is Vanilla Townie, the person drops the hammer. If anyone disagrees with this protocol, feel free to say so and we can discuss it, but otherwise I'm going to go after people hard if they don't follow this procedure. Especially if they are the IC.
2. People who can't post for whatever reason, fine. Post content as often as you can. I'm in this boat over nights and weekends, since I don't have internet at home. People who show up regularly and say nothing of value will probably get my vote at some point.
3. No, newbies still have brains. Is a particular 'newb tell' more likely to come from newb-town or newb-scum? Innocent mistakes will still happen; that's why we should make the standards we expect known, so ignorence is no excuse.
4. I like to think of it as 'low information stage', which I want to get out of ASAP. I'll vote 'randomly' because I don't believe in not using my vote, and I'm willing to answer 'random' questions, but I'd like to get into the 'real game' quickly.
5. Yes, except for their first 'random' vote, if they have one. There should also be reasons for unvoting. That said, a vote out for little reason is better than no vote at all.
6. Don't mind them, so long as they're relevent. I'll probably do a few myself (this one included). I tend to make posts consisting of quotes, and my questions/comments relating to them.
7. PRs from any faction; I like having some sort of personal power!
8. I don't like people to be overly aggressive, but I want them to take a stand and take action on their own. I think my own style is to jump at things and continue to pressure until I get a reasonable explanation.
9. GMT+10; Australian Eastern Time. It's 5:30pm right now.


hiplop wrote:VOTE: Supreme Overlord because, overlords don't sound very town-friendly!
Muahaha...

VOTE: Morthas
Only room for one SE in this here village...
Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely.

Morthas
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: June 10, 2010
Location: Bognor Regis

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:00 am

1. How do you feel about ICs?
Nothing really, It gives me info about their level of experience but that's about all for me. I don't treat them differently other than i can ask them about general behavior and the odds of certain situations.

2. How do you feel about lurkers?
Depends, alot. Don't like them, duh.

3. Are you likely to allow newbies to get away with things that could be scumtells, and write them off as newb tells instead?
YES I am VERY likely to do that. My reads are 90% of the time off because of that too.

4. Do you prefer RVS (Random Voting Stage) or RQS (random questioning stage)?
A combination of both? I never seen either one to be more effective than the other so.... Do what you want cause a piratescummer is free, You Are A piratescummer.

5. Do you believe that players should post reasons for their votes, rather than just placing a vote?
Depends on the situation but yeah it's generally more acceptable by mafiascum (myself included) to explain your votes.

6. How do you feel about wall-posts?
Meh. I do them, I like them at times and I get lazy to read them at times.

7. Do you prefer scum, town, or PR roles?
Town, never gotten a PR as town yet.

8. Do you prefer aggressive or passive playstyles?
I play passive, i prefer aggressive.

9. What timezone is everyone in?
UTC +3 or something 11 am now.

I'm calling you Kiwi. Just because i know of someone else with Kiwi in their name and it's convenient this way.
Capitalism, ho

Nicholay Romance
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: July 20, 2011

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:57 am

Good time of day, ladies and gentlemen. I am Nicholay Romance and I'll be another member of this community. Hope we all both enjoy this game and gain a lot of experience and skills from it. For those of you not willing to call my full name, be my gust to call me Nick or Nicho. Without further adue, I'll move to the Questioneres:

1) Have anyone of you played any off-site games?
I have enjoyed a number of games in real life, which is both easier and more casual, for many simple reasons.

2) How about on-site games? If so; How Many?
I played 1 or 2wo games here before, but I fear that I forgot my access information, since I took a large break from it.

3) How would you describe yourself as an individual?
Positive would be one way. Optimistic... A friendly person overall, who enjoys making jokes and mock-poems.

4) What do you think you will be remembered for this game?
Mistakes, successes... Perhaps some notable quotes?

-------------------------------------------

1. How do you feel about ICs? With ICs being the most helpful role in the game, it's easy to get town reads from ICs even though there is a chance they are scum. Do you tend to give ICs a free pass unless they really mess up, or are you suspicious of them from the get-go?
While a vital part of any newbie game, ICs should have slightly more attention put towards them. Obviously, they have more skill in revealing or concealing vital information. I might sound negatively about it, but I'm just saying that I won't be making favorites, just out of a person's experience.

2. How do you feel about lurkers? Are they a free lynch because there is no evidence coming from them? Are you more likely to vote for lurkers based off of policy, or are you likely to vote for the active players?
These so called 'lurkers' are an interesting case, in my opinion. While not actively interacting with others, they do have more freedom in gathering information, without the hectic pressure of replying to others, except for when they are asked to. I suppose the reaction to them would depend on the situation and the votes they make...

3. Are you likely to allow newbies to get away with things that could be scumtells, and write them off as newb tells instead?
Honestly, as I said before, I won't make favorites just because someone isn't as skillful. Again, depends on the situation and the way the scumtell happens.

4. Do you prefer RVS (Random Voting Stage) or RQS (random questioning stage)?
To be frank, I don't like the Day 1 lynching, which is why we never use it in real life. But that's because:
(a) Discussions don't happen as actively as in forum games
(b) Games are a lot quicker, so Night 1 victims don't have to wait for long
Since we are playing on the Forum, I'd prefer some information, so RQS would be better, if a little.

5. Do you believe that players should post reasons for their votes, rather than just placing a vote?
Of course, unless the reason is obvious or the person puts a vote quickly after a suspicious post. Reason would be highly preferred, nonetheless

6. How do you feel about wall-posts?
If by that you mean large amounts of text, I'd say two-sided, since it's both a good source of information AND a great way to get bored... Thankfully, my attention span isn't that short.

7. Do you prefer scum, town, or PR roles?
Each role has its perks.
Townies can relax more during nights
Scum have more possibilities to plan out lynches
PR roles are in between, since they usually work solo

8. Do you prefer aggressive or passive playstyles?
Passive for me, unless I find someone of interest. My ways could be seen as too focused on a single individual at times, but I'll try to provide as much explanation as I can.

9. What timezone is everyone in?
GMT +3 at the moment

--------------------------------------

Now, for the vote, I'll go VOTE: No Lynch for now. I'm still not seeing anyone as leaning to the scum side, but I do agree on Kiwi's

Princess Kiwi wrote:
Hiplop wrote: I am still playing to win, but I can answer any questions you guys might have.


What do you mean you're 'still playing to win'. I don't know if I'm twisting words or not here, but this was the first thing that jumped out to me. It seems like something a scum IC would say: I'm here to help, but I'm still playing to win regardless. Just pointing this out. [/paranoia of IC roles]


That could be taken as a scummy quote, but I wouldn't build on it much, since it's kind of similar to my personality: "I won't be making favorites" and "I want to win as much as the next guy" Nice lil catch, though. Let's see where it develops, hmm?

Nicholay Romance
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: July 20, 2011

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:59 am

A quick note that I pressed submit a tad too fast and didn't fix my typos. Forgive me for that... And for this double-post.

Morthas
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: June 10, 2010
Location: Bognor Regis

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:43 am

I just noticed that is skipped half of the question's in the questionnaires. Ops. * embarrassment*
Hey Nicho, I feel like you are here to set a new standard for posting. Take it as you want :]


Nicho wrote:Now, for the vote, I'll go VOTE: No Lynch for now. I'm still not seeing anyone as leaning to the scum side, but I do agree on Kiwi's

KIWI wrote:Princess Kiwi wrote:
Hiphop wrote:I am still playing to win, but I can answer any questions you guys might have.



What do you mean you're 'still playing to win'. I don't know if I'm twisting words or not here, but this was the first thing that jumped out to me. It seems like something a scum IC would say: I'm here to help, but I'm still playing to win regardless. Just pointing this out. [/paranoia of IC roles]



That could be taken as a scummy quote, but I wouldn't build on it much, since it's kind of similar to my personality: "I won't be making favorites" and "I want to win as much as the next guy" Nice lil catch, though. Let's see where it develops, hmm?

A note, do not no lynch unless it's mylo or a some other situation where town gain instead of looses during night. Town's only weapon is it's lynch, no lynching achieves nothing, 0% to kill scum and plus we get less info to continue with.
Conclusion: No Lynch on day 1 is BAD. That is all.
I am not sure if i should write that off as newbieness since you stated that you have previous experience in these forums FoS: Nicho/ IGMEOY:Nicho
Actually, VOTE: Nicho Welcome.
Capitalism, ho

Nicholay Romance
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: July 20, 2011

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:16 am

Well, that was quite fast, I might say. But I do understand your point. I did mention that:
Nicholay Romance wrote:Now, for the vote, I'll go VOTE: No Lynch for now.
Also, most of my experience is from Real Life Mafia, and it's a tad different. I agree that town can only defend yourself with lynches, true, but I'm not one for Random lynches and I don't see enough information to work with. To make a compromise, I'll just take off my No Lynch vote, but won't vote against anyone for the time being.
UNVOTE: No Lynch
And I'll take your remark on my posting style as a compliment, thank you. But I won't normally post that much, since I don't expect a lot of questionnaires.

Morthas
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: June 10, 2010
Location: Bognor Regis

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:42 am

I seem to have forgotten to mention that I can see hiphop saying that as both alignments because it is very likely that his first post is a pre-written piece of info that he posts whenever he IC's in a game.
I have seen other ICs do it.
@Nicho:My remark was more about the tone of your post :]
Capitalism, ho

Nicholay Romance
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: July 20, 2011

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:46 am

Oh, haha, I do enjoy imitating some specific role from time to time. This time I shall be a slightly posh man, I suppose. It's jolly good to have a bit of roleplaying now and then, isn't it?

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games