Page 9 of 110

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:08 pm
by schadd_
GAYreenHamster wrote:ok, well you cant exactly call someone scummy because ,from your perspective, they lynched town (unless cop confirmed). And im pretty sure that last comment wasnt exactly needed? i mean, not everyone will always think im town anyways, and it isnt like you seem like town to everyone else as well...

it's an opinion. i will forever be slightly more willing to vote you than everyone else, and the reason behind that is documented

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:10 pm
by GAYreenHamster
Nice to know .-.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:52 pm
by GAYreenHamster
Also, giga correct me if im wrong, but what you are implying is OMGUS, or lynching me because i lynched you

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:53 pm
by GAYreenHamster
(PS terms ftw)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:28 pm
by schadd_
if that's still directed at me, uh, sure. i'm familiar with the term. note that voting me once isn't sufficient grounds for me voting you (see: i'm not voting for you), it's just that you're a little bit more likely to do it if you're scum than if you're town. again, from my perspective

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:32 pm
by rakkar
In post 6, ThinkBig wrote:Let's get some random questions in to get discussion flowing as well:

Newbies
1. Have you ever played mafia before? If so, where? If not, then welcome!
2. What made you decide to give MS a try?

Everyone
3. Do you prefer to play town or mafia?
4. What is your favorite/least favorite role?


1 - first time playing Mafia, but got hooked playing Avalon over Christmas with my family
2 - wanted some more fun/practice
3 - being a good guy is easier, as you can be earnest and logical, whereas being bad you can be earnest or logical but doing both is HARD!
4 - not sure yet...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:33 pm
by schadd_
hey. welcome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:40 pm
by GAYreenHamster
anyways, im turning in for the night (most likely), so be back tomorrow :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:50 am
by mattblackguy
In post 143, ThinkBig wrote:Since I am at L-2 or 1, I'm going to claim. I am a Vanilla Townie

When I get home from work, I'll catch up on everything.

In post 150, ThinkBig wrote:
I disagree. I think there are times in which one should claim when they are at L2/1 even before someone declares intent. I'll expand on that later.


So, are you going to expand on what you meant?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:44 am
by Creature
Hi rakkar, would you like to comment on the current situation? There's a claim already.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:51 am
by gigabyteTroubadour
gayreen i think rakkar's post was a good example of when "just dropped in and left" could look scummy

obviously i'm not voting him because maybe he's just too new to know how to engage with the thread but i don't think it's town either

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:22 am
by Shade
Hello everyone,

I just realized that this is started. I promise to read the game later today, after my work.

Nice to meet you all!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:14 pm
by GAYreenHamster
welp, at least everyone has talked once...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:13 pm
by Shade
I'm currently catching up. I had some questions which were already answered, so I deleted them.

In post 6, ThinkBig wrote:Let's get some random questions in to get discussion flowing as well:

Newbies
1. Have you ever played mafia before? If so, where? If not, then welcome!
2. What made you decide to give MS a try?

Everyone
3. Do you prefer to play town or mafia?
4. What is your favorite/least favorite role?


I don't understand the point of these questions but sure

1. No. But I know someone close who plays this so I'm not unfamiliar with the main concept. - They told I can't ask for her help so you need to tolerate my basic questions! -
2. I was just curios about this to be honest.
3. I'm not sure!
4. Cop looks great. I don't hate any roles at the moment.

In post 8, ThinkBig wrote:Least favorite: Bodyguard/Innocent Child


What are Bodyguard and Innocent Child?

In post 10, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:_schadd, is your TB vote serious?

mine is :]


Why would you vote someone to get them lynched, that soon in the game?

In post 21, Creature wrote:I am still a standard player. I'll play for my win condition.


This means that you can be mafia as well? I was assuming it's 1 newbie/1 SE team, isn't it? [after reading 80 I guess not]

Thanks for the descriptions, They are really helpful.

In post 28, Creature wrote:I was going to call out Shade for throwing Shade, but schadd_ looks worse.


What do you mean?

In post 64, Raskolnikov wrote:In general I like looking at people when their guard is down so this is kinda lame, hopefully you're right anyways though.

Actually this was kinda my bad for asking about it.


How can we bring down someone's guard to understand their motivations?

In post 73, Creature wrote:None of GAYreen, rakkar and Shade were online after Day 1 started...


I honestly didn't realize the game was started. I promise to check this every night.

In post 88, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:like i would think in a newbie game, a newer player may kind of be off guard and, if they actually HAVE a PR, might have special interest in that role that shows when they answer the question

just gives me rolefishing vibes


I like the way this idea is developed.

In post 110, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:GAYreen (and any of the newer players here), have you read any games on here? It might be a good idea to see what's considered scummy/townie (if you don't already have a sense) or just get an idea of how a game usually goes.

Newbies are typically really slow like this but there are a few good ones out there too.


If there are several behaviors that are already known as scummy, why would any scum do them? Unless if you're saying a newbie might do them when they're scum which contradicts with your action - pointing them out to them.

Anyway as I said I have someone close who plays this so I know about some of these behaviors you're talking about.

In post 143, ThinkBig wrote:Since I am at L-2 or 1, I'm going to claim. I am a Vanilla Townie

When I get home from work, I'll catch up on everything.


So Raskolnikov voted to put ThinkBig at L1 (which was L2) but when they claimed he got like this:

In post 144, Raskolnikov wrote:-__-


@Raskolnikov why you tried to put him in L1 if you didn't want him to claim?

GAYreenHamster was kinda opportunistic there as well but they didn't vote.

Thinkbig is not a newbie so if its known that people must claim after an intent on MS, him claiming there is actually scummy.

In post 152, ThinkBig wrote:We have more than 14 days. No reason to hammer yet.


What gave you the impression that someone is going to hammer you soon?

In post 159, ThinkBig wrote:
In post 156, Raskolnikov wrote:Thinkbig if you're actually town and just happened to check the thread via phone 10 minutes after I voted and overreacted based on an l-2 because you were on mobile and couldn't read and claimed because you didnt have time to respond because you weren't home yet and you also have your own personal theory that people should claim at l-2 without intent I've never heard about, I think I hate both you and my luck.


In my games, I tend to overreact to pressure and votes. Especially when I am at L-2 with 14 days left in the DP.


So this might be your attempt to make you look like your town version in past games to get some town reads.

In post 171, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:there's nothing wrong with having your own reads even if they go against the grain you know.... like it's fine you agree with our points but i feel like you're being a little too sheepy


What is the meaning of sheepy?

In post 198, schadd_ wrote:it makes it scummy from my perspective, tho; maybe you should seem town to everyone else


why should scum bother to scum read you when they can just kill you? why town can't mistakenly scum read you? You're making no sense.

OK, finally done reading this. I need to see others opinion about my post and my questions answer before deciding to vote but I think I'm more comfortable voting Think big over anyone else. Their either mafia who claimed like that in first place or is really a Vanilla Town who is compromised to mafia. Going in other directions will probably help mafia in their PR haunt and I don't like that.

I will be offline for an hour or two. Feel free to ask questions from me, I will answer them when I'm back. And please answer my questions. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:29 pm
by Creature
In post 213, Shade wrote:What are Bodyguard and Innocent Child?

Bodyguard is sort of a doctor, but when it protects a target, it dies.

Innocent Child is modconfirmed town. Some mods allow them choose when they wish to reveal, some automatically modconfirms them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:32 pm
by gigabyteTroubadour
yeah if it's not TB/rakkar then i'll have to reevaulate quite a bit

@Shade, I'll answer your questions once I'm home, the drive is like an hour long :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:32 pm
by Creature
In post 213, Shade wrote:This means that you can be mafia as well? I was assuming it's 1 newbie/1 SE team, isn't it? [after reading 80 I guess not]

Newbie, SE or IC, it won't affect the role distribution, like if you remove the SE and the IC tags.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:34 pm
by Creature
In post 213, Shade wrote:What do you mean?

Shade, schadd_

Got it?

Well, throwing shade is something like making a player look scummy yet not scumreading him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:43 pm
by gigabyteTroubadour
In post 213, Shade wrote:Why would you vote someone to get them lynched, that soon in the game?


If you have a scumread (you think someone is more likely to be mafia based on their posts and your perception of their motivations), then it's simply playing to win to vote to have them lynched. The only reason, at least to me, to withhold your vote is if you're not ready to end the day with a hammer and claim.

I'm assuming that by asking that, (if this is not true then you can ignore this question) that there's a reason you believe I shouldn't have voted TB in that instant? If so, why?

In post 213, Shade wrote:This means that you can be mafia as well? I was assuming it's 1 newbie/1 SE team, isn't it? [after reading 80 I guess not]


I know this was for creature but i kind of want to comment on it :dead:

the game would focus way too much around optimal play and be too townsided (favoring town wins) if it were always 1 newbie/1 SE. Basically you'd just have to lynch all 2 or 3 SEs and then let the NKs confirm 1-2 newbies as town, and then leave the rest of the game to the remaining 3 newbies. kinda defeats the purpose of the game i feel. (if the team is in fact two newbies, godspeed. i've seen a few of newbie-newbie teams do really well but rolling scum for your first game without knowing how to town must really suck :( )

In post 213, Shade wrote:If there are several behaviors that are already known as scummy, why would any scum do them? Unless if you're saying a newbie might do them when they're scum which contradicts with your action - pointing them out to them.

Anyway as I said I have someone close who plays this so I know about some of these behaviors you're talking about.


Scum are inherently lying about the information they have when they play Mafia and also win the game in a different manner than Town. Basically playing this game is looking for people who are trying to hide those two things from the rest of us.

Sometimes for people first picking up this game, it's hard to really understand what someone lying about information they have looks like (maybe less so for having different motives when reading newer players but it's not always intuitive) over text. This leads to a lot of players looking for a lot of bad (in my opinion) universal tells, like "OMGUS" (voting/suspecting someone because they suspect you, which I think can be a valid reason to vote someone if you think their reasoning isn't genuine) or being over-defensive (Nobody wants confirmed town to die because that doesn't help town win at all. Survival shouldn't be your biggest priority but some people (like me lol) are really bad to reacting to pressure). Reading past games where you can see other players in your position go through the motions might help jumpstart the right thought process, and also let you see what scum in different skill levels look like.

A general understanding of psychology (not like actual psychology, but being able to put yourself in one's shoes and ask why they would do something from their vantage point) and some emotional intelligence goes a long way in scumhunting.

In post 213, Shade wrote:Thinkbig is not a newbie so if its known that people must claim after an intent on MS, him claiming there is actually scummy.


tbh i think newbies give the SE title too big of an importance it really is... I would definitely consider TB a newer player (and myself too) so it's kind of believable. Still weird and warrants explanation though imo.

In post 213, Shade wrote:What is the meaning of sheepy?


You've heard people call others "sheeple" right? Like someone who is a sheep just follows whatever big voice there is out there. Sheepy's just an adjective to describe someone who is a sheep.

Sheeping (the act of being a sheep) isn't extremely scummy imo but I think that newbie scum having trouble parsing the thread to make legitimate looking reads might mimic other player's reads. I do, however, strongly believe that GAYreen is town so by saying that I was just pointing out that he shouldn't be afraid to develop his own thoughts (which we clearly saw he had). After all, this is game is as cooperative as it is competitive, so not being sheepy and producing your own original thoughts and analysis is ultimately going to help which ever team you're on.

In post 213, Shade wrote:Their either mafia who claimed like that in first place or is really a Vanilla Town who is compromised to mafia. Going in other directions will probably help mafia in their PR haunt and I don't like that.


Yeah I'm kind of uncomfortable with this too.

Like I had a scumread on TB, yes, but now I feel like the entire gamestate revolves around me having an accurate read page 1 and if I ended up botching it for town it'll hurt us in the long run. This would be an example of why claiming at L-1 with intent is important...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:50 pm
by gigabyteTroubadour
In post 202, GAYreenHamster wrote:Also, giga correct me if im wrong, but what you are implying is OMGUS, or lynching me because i lynched you


which posts are you referring to here? sorry i took a quick glance at my ISO and couldn't find anything.

ftr i absolutely hate the term OMGUS and cringe whenever i see people use it :dead:

Also, @GAYReen and rakkar, getting an avatar is extremely helpful and playing outside of the newbie queue will generally lead to you getting an inundation of posts telling you to get an avatar :dead:

it helps connect your posts to a face for most people and also helps you stand out, which is important regardless of your alignment imo

if you need help setting/choosing an avatar feel free to PM me, I have photoshop finesse and can edit/make (i'm not an artist fwiw. i made my own avatar by putting pictures together and changing the colors) an avatar for you. if you're on mobile i can also give you an imgur link so you can set it in that fashion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:02 pm
by Creature
ThinkBig kind of disappeared.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:04 pm
by gigabyteTroubadour
sitewide though

i think he took on too many games again ;_;

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:18 pm
by ThinkBig
In post 220, Creature wrote:ThinkBig kind of disappeared.


Nope. I've been working very long shifts. Will be definitely posting tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:18 pm
by gigabyteTroubadour
it's alright, tyt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:19 pm
by ThinkBig
Past few days I've been working 12+ hour shifts.