Newbie 1912 [GAME COMPLETE]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:22 pm

Post by Loopdan »

VOTE: PvtUrist

This is a sheep vote for Skellen. He's my only strong TR right now, and I don't have any real scumreads.

This is L-2.

IC note:
Wiki entry for Sheeping
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Post by Loopdan »

So why am I TRing Skellen? His progression of his read on me makes way more sense coming from town than scum. Most importantly, he went back and re-read interactions and changed his thinking based on that. In a short, slow game like this do you know who goes back and re-reads and then hands out a townread on the IC? Town players who are frustrated that nothing is happening. Scum prefers for the game stalls out because it maintains their information advantage.

So yeah, Skellen is either town or is a helluva scum player for this being his first game.
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Post by Loopdan »

This is a game of information.
Scum starts with an information advantage.
Town starts with a time advantage (manifested by their larger team).
Town wins if they gain equity in information before they lose their time advantage.

Town only wins if they gain information (or get lucky).

So start asking questions. Admit if you don't get something. Speak up when something looks off. Stop worrying about if it makes you look "scummy". Vote your scumreads. Tell your townreads that you TR them (sometimes this is counterproductive later, but for day1 don't hold back).

This slow game-state is as much my fault as anyone's. I've been a bit pre-occupied with RL. I'll do my best to re-read and post some thoughts on all players in the morning.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Post by Enter »

Hey guys! I'll get to reading the game thread ASAP! I'll just start going through the first page and....

Spoiler:
In post 18, Loopdan wrote:OK, so I thought I was the second vote on munchmellow until I saw that VC (vote-count) at the top. I didn't even notice Elements had moved votes.
In post 6, Elements wrote:VOTE: munchmellow
In post 11, Elements wrote:VOTE: pvturist
Whoever is second to make a vote with an arbitrary reason is scum
Elements, what is the purpose of this vote change?
In post 20, Thespio wrote:
In post 18, Loopdan wrote:OK, so I thought I was the second vote on munchmellow until I saw that VC (vote-count) at the top. I didn't even notice Elements had moved votes.
In post 6, Elements wrote:VOTE: munchmellow
In post 11, Elements wrote:VOTE: pvturist
Whoever is second to make a vote with an arbitrary reason is scum
Elements, what is the purpose of this vote change?
I dont think this is odd, I want to see some stuff from the other less active players, what did you find odd about this? why did it peak your interest?
In post 21, Loopdan wrote:
In post 19, Elements wrote:
In post 18, Loopdan wrote:Elements, what is the purpose of this vote change?
There wan't any real purpose other than to spark some form of discussion, which it now appears to have done
Yeah but then you just killed the discussion by saying that was it's purpose. You have to string out those kinds of plays if you want it to get something moving.
In post 13, Loopdan wrote:VOTE: Munchmellow

For not reading my IC post yet.
In post 24, Loopdan wrote:VOTE: Muh316

O_O

Alright. That happened.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:59 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 58, Loopdan wrote:
In post 57, Thespio wrote:I think this is a tvt fight
I agree.
Glad to know you think you're town...
In post 66, Thespio wrote:
In post 65, Elements wrote:
In post 63, Thespio wrote:even though you are fascist scum
only when playing secret hitler
I like you now, im adding you, I played a game where someone who was not hitler indicated they were at the beginning because they are dumb and all the fascists outed themselves when she was elected. was funny.
Nice flip out of nowhere.
In post 76, Loopdan wrote:
In post 74, Elements wrote:
In post 69, Thespio wrote:if it is a NL or me I would prefer you kill me.
please don't say this. the first game of forum mafia i played someone said this. i came back half a day later to 9 pages of pointless discussion that basically destroyed the game
Thespio is correct that it's better to lynch than NL day1. But I don't like how he brought it up. It was out of the blue and looks like an attempt to declare his own towniness.
Looks like scum to you, but where's your vote?

On the guy that self-voted in RVS?
In post 109, Loopdan wrote:VOTE: MissDeadbeat

Thespio's lone vote isn't likely to mean much, but he's right. Her level of activity is unacceptable.
Thespio did something that looked scummy but you didn't vote him. She does nothing => null, but gets your vote?
In post 125, Loopdan wrote:VOTE: PvtUrist

This is a sheep vote for Skellen. He's my only strong TR right now, and I don't have any real scumreads.

This is L-2.

IC note:
Wiki entry for Sheeping
LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgoJ2AeUkAo

you change your mind
like a girl
changes clothes
In post 101, muh316 wrote:
In post 75, Elements wrote:
In post 70, Munchmellow wrote:Do you really feel it's double bussing? And why?
seconded
I was just playing devil's advocate on that one to see if someone was going to jump on it. I'm getting a good townread on Loopdan though. It looks like he's giving us game advancing content which is nice. It's generally towny if someone is going through the effort of reading metas.

Also, now that we've had a bit of an icebreaker UNVOTE: muh316
In post 100, Thespio wrote:VOTE: MissDeadbeat
Don't you think a policy lynch on an inactive player D1 will get us less information and we'll be in the same spot as we were D1?
I wouldn't be afraid to put that vote somewhere. Thespio and Loopdan are both good choices, cuz the mod will write in RED when they flip.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:59 pm

Post by Enter »

VOTE: Loopdan
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Post by Enter »

Skellen reads town, though.
Elements also reads ... fine.
Thespio is full of words that mean barely anything w/ no vote and his "change of heart" on elements is weird.
Loopdan reads red.
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:07 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

Enter has entered the game (I'm so sorry)

In post 114, Skellen wrote: This "fluff" is what also makes me about Thespio, but at this point it could as well have been a method to get the game started.
You mean he slipped out in #84 that he is scum? I might missing it, but what exactly do you mean?

How come btw that you are addressing me of all people?
1) Thespio does not deny his scum allignment in

2);
In post 112, PvtUrist wrote: How different do you feel with forum Mafia vs IRL?
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

In post 124, Nauci wrote:
Mod Notes

Please welcome Enter!

much effort was made to
avoid punning
Oh shit I missed this
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:12 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

In post 122, Thespio wrote: Is there a reason youve kept up but arent active?
Been
lazy
busy
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Post by Enter »

Mod Notes

Please welcome Enter!

much effort was made to avoid punning
In post 132, PvtUrist wrote:
I love you guys. Here's my own:

[Enter replacement]
In post 114, Skellen wrote: This "fluff" is what also makes me about Thespio, but at this point it could as well have been a method to get the game started.
You mean he slipped out in #84 that he is scum? I might missing it, but what exactly do you mean?

2);
PvtUrist is town.
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

Read update;

{Urist} conf town
{Skellen, Loopdan} lean town
{Elements} null town
{Enter, MissDeadbeat, Munchmellow, muh316} null
{Thespio} null scum

Skellen; Loopdan explains how I feel about him/her well in

Loopdan; ISO reads town

Elements; felt town from first read, but I guess there wasn't as much content in his posts than I previously thought they did.

Enter; feeling null, interested in where he reads Loopdan as red.

MDb/Munch; would appreciate a few more posts from either of them.

muh316; null right now

Thespio;
isn't talking about girls=scum
safely parks vote on inactive player rather than engaging with the more active players
Munchmellow
Munchmellow
Goon
Munchmellow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Post by Munchmellow »

In post 92, Loopdan wrote:So this implies you are TRing Thespio. Can you explain why that is? Not saying I disagree, just curious about your thinking.
I liked his posts, he asked some ok questions, stated some opinions, generally I got a townvibe.
But I am not that sure anymore after rereading. I disliked his . I don't see a reason to say that but to apear a martyr. And I have a problem with that, because I don't like this martyr "I will sacrifice myself" posts. I think that town doesn't have to go there to be townie, so I kind of see scum-agenda in this. And what does that even mean - that he would selfhammer if he would be L-1 on deadline and no one else to hammer?
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:00 pm

Post by Enter »

Here's why Loopdan is scum (just a few of the reasons, there's a lot):

1. Loopdans' vote has changed like six times on six pages. That's actually ridiculous and insane for a game where nothing has happened.
In post 76, Loopdan wrote:
In post 74, Elements wrote:
In post 69, Thespio wrote:if it is a NL or me I would prefer you kill me.
please don't say this. the first game of forum mafia i played someone said this. i came back half a day later to 9 pages of pointless discussion that basically destroyed the game
Thespio is correct that it's better to lynch than NL day1. But I don't like how he brought it up. It was out of the blue and looks like an attempt to declare his own towniness.
With Loopdans vote changing like the weather in Texas, this is the one of the few times he ACTUALLY has an even close to scum read, and his vote doesn't follow. This is weird on Thespio, specifically, because I'm scumreading Thespio because of Thespio's own actions in addition to his interactions with Loopdan which all seem more fake than soy milk. (no offense to soy)
In post 92, Loopdan wrote:
In post 70, Munchmellow wrote:
Loopdan wrote:
I agree.
Looks like TvT to me, too. Could also be SvT (not sure about Loopdan).

So this implies you are TRing Thespio. Can you explain why that is? Not saying I disagree, just curious about your thinking.
Loopdan agrees and says "thanks, I agree, I am town" no explanation, but asks one of the other players to explain his post on Thespio. Here's why that's weird:
a) He didn't do it himself
b) Scum LOVE to know what town thinks of their scum buddies
c) His last post called Thespio as scummy
d) His "just curious about your thinking" is so noncommittal.
In post 58, Loopdan wrote:
I agree.

This is L-2.

IC note:
Wiki entry for Sheeping
This is so ridiculous I ran out of words the moment I started.
We are 6 pages into the game and he has ONE read? How does that happen? How does everyone else have more reads than him?
This is very noncommittal. He doesn't even accept responsibility for his vote.
In post 127, Loopdan wrote:This is a game of information.
Scum starts with an information advantage.
Town starts with a time advantage (manifested by their larger team).
Town wins if they gain equity in information before they lose their time advantage.

Town only wins if they gain information (or get lucky).

So start asking questions. Admit if you don't get something. Speak up when something looks off. Stop worrying about if it makes you look "scummy". Vote your scumreads. Tell your townreads that you TR them (sometimes this is counterproductive later, but for day1 don't hold back).

This slow game-state is as much my fault as anyone's. I've been a bit pre-occupied with RL. I'll do my best to re-read and post some thoughts on all players in the morning.
"Look at me, I'm town because I share information on how mafia works"

Actually so many of his posts are like this.

For anyone wondering why noncommittal is bad:

Scum don't want to commit to something or look wishy washy on their reads because they want to keep the lynch open in case they need to hammer. They don't want to accidentally strong town read someone when everyone else is scumreading them because then it looks weird when they have to turn around and hammer.

SO. Long story short:

Thespio's posts amount to
1. hypocrisy (asking to explain when not explaining himself, on the first page when he jumps elements for changing his vote and then immediately changes his vote when Thespio says it's ok to do as town)
2. talk about mafia in theory/ meta to look like he's talking about something
3. Vote moving around like crazy
4. REALLY awkward interactions w/ Thespio that amount to nothing for either of them (even though they try to look like they push each other a little)
5. Sheeping his townread (what even? this is DAY 1. Push someone. Try to get scum reads since you don't have ANY)
6. noncommittal reads (How do you not have ANY SCUM READS and ONLY ONE town read?)

I could go on. The thing I quoted on page one also was weird. I could talk more about his weird interactions w/ Thespio. And there's probably even more.

In addition, even if he's not scum, we should policy lynch him for the octuple-post on page four. What even is that.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 127, Loopdan wrote:So start asking questions. Admit if you don't get something. Speak up when something looks off. Stop worrying about if it makes you look "scummy". Vote your scumreads. Tell your townreads that you TR them (sometimes this is counterproductive later, but for day1 don't hold back).

This is L-2.

IC note:
Wiki entry for Sheeping
Like the fact that these two posts are right next to each other is insane.

"Post, ask questions, find scum"
"I have no clue who scum are, so I'm going to sheep my only town read"
Munchmellow
Munchmellow
Goon
Munchmellow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Post by Munchmellow »

Here's my readlist:
Town: Skellen ( UNVOTE: Skellen ),
Null-town: PvT, Elements, Enter
Null: Loopdan
Mixed feelings (null-scum): thespio, muh

I don't have a reading on MDb.

Skellen- Skellen/Loopdan seemed TvT or at worst TvS, but Skellen reads town to me anyway.

PvT - more town than scum, even though not as active as usually, but I think this is NAI right now.

Elements - actually don't have much to say about him. Townvibe and didn't say anything that I could scumread, so I lean town.

Enter - strong entrance that seemed pro-town

Loopdan - maybe IC paranoia but I just can't read him as town. For now he is null to me.

Thespio- I already explained what bothered me. I know it was only one post that really stood out for me, but that made me read his ISO as coming from a scum perspective and I could see it.

Muh - I know selfvote was in RVS and as a joke, but O don't like it. I think it is a kind of joke, that would make someone look goofy town - good for scum to do it. I also disliked his double bussing comment. But even after his explaination I think just stating the other possible outcome is not helpfull and just makes you look like you have an opinion without actually sorting people.

VOTE: Thespio
Elements
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Bloop
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:23 am

Post by Elements »

Seeing as everyone is giving their reads, here are mine:
{} - Strong Town
{Enter, Skellen} - Null Town
{Munchmellow} - Null
{PvtUrist} - Null Scum
{} - Scum

Skellen -

PvtUrist - This is based on comparison with my last game with them. I'm getting similar playstyle vibes to that game (Newbie 1907) in which they were scum. This could just be their general playstyle hence only Null Scum

Munchmellow - Not much input, but i do like the reasoning behind her reads

Enter - As people have mentioned before, strong input upon joining the game, seems like genuinely trying to progress the game/scum hunt rather than appearing to do this while steering the town down the wrong track

As i was writing this i lost track of time, now i've got to go and play quidditch leavingg this post half finished. But ill come back and finish is asap after training. Apologies
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:19 am

Post by Nauci »

Vote Count 1.3

PvtUrist (3) -
Elements
Skellen
Loopdan

Thespio (2) -
PvtUrist
Munchmellow

MissDeadbeat (1) -
Thespio
Loopdan

Loopdan (1) -
Enter

UNVOTE/Not Voting (2) -
Skellen
PvtUrist
Munchmellow
Elements
MissDeadbeat
Enter
muh316
Thespio
Loopdan
muh316

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch or not lynch.

Day 1 ends in (expired on 2019-01-21 05:00:00).

Mod Notes

MissDeadbeat has been prodded. She has (expired on 2019-01-13 20:00:00) to post game-relevant content before I seek a replacement.
Last edited by Nauci on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:57 am

Post by Loopdan »

2);
In post 135, Enter wrote:
Mod Notes

Please welcome Enter!

much effort was made to avoid punning
I love you guys. Here's my own:

[Enter replacement]

2);
PvtUrist is town.
@Enter - TvT was referencing Loopdan vs. Skellen. Sorry you wasted so many words but you need to reread those interactions.
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:59 am

Post by Loopdan »

Those quotes don't go there. I had to quote in order to read the spoilers and then forgot to delete them.

Also please use the other spoiler tag for mobile users.
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:37 am

Post by Loopdan »

In post 138, Enter wrote:1. Loopdans' vote has changed like six times on six pages. That's actually ridiculous and insane for a game where nothing has happened.
You aren't reading very closely. I've voted four times. You must be including Element's two votes that I quoted in . But even if it had been six times. So what? Are you arguing that it's more likely that I'm scum throwing out these votes to try and see what will stick, than I am town trying to sort players through discussion and pressure? Explain why vote changes like mine are scummy. You don't get to just declare something is scummy and have everyone believe you.
In post 138, Enter wrote:
2. With Loopdans vote changing like the weather in Texas, this is the one of the few times he ACTUALLY has an even close to scum read, and his vote doesn't follow. This is weird on Thespio, specifically, because I'm scumreading Thespio because of Thespio's own actions in addition to his interactions with Loopdan which all seem more fake than soy milk. (no offense to soy)
You are conflating me saying that I don't like how Thespio brought up the "lynch me before no-lynch" thing with me thinking he is scum. That's not how that works.
In post 138, Enter wrote: 3.
In post 92, Loopdan wrote:
In post 70, Munchmellow wrote:
Loopdan wrote:
I agree.
Looks like TvT to me, too. Could also be SvT (not sure about Loopdan).

So this implies you are TRing Thespio. Can you explain why that is? Not saying I disagree, just curious about your thinking.
Loopdan agrees and says "thanks, I agree, I am town" no explanation, but asks one of the other players to explain his post on Thespio. Here's why that's weird:
a) He didn't do it himself
b) Scum LOVE to know what town thinks of their scum buddies
c) His last post called Thespio as scummy
d) His "just curious about your thinking" is so noncommittal.
You entirely missed this. TvT was Loopdan v Skellen. But now I see why you missed it because I wrote Thespio instead of Skellen when I asked Munch about it. :facepalm:

You last point was about me being noncommittal. OK. It's page six. I found one strong townread and that's pretty good progress. Contrary to what you seem to think you are doing here, you don't solve the game on page six.

Also, what is your experience playing Mafia?
Loopdan
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Loopdan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:43 am

Post by Loopdan »

In post 132, PvtUrist wrote:1) Thespio does not deny his scum allignment in #122

Wait. I thought you were joking about the scum slip thing in . You serious?
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 am

Post by Thespio »

In post 136, PvtUrist wrote:Thespio; isn't talking about girls=scum safely parks vote on inactive player rather than engaging with the more active players
You didnt really answer my question, its hard to engage with active players, the people who have been active as i said seem to be town, you really like to play that line of not being here but pushing fault onto someone without much cause.
Thespio
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Thespio
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:24 am

Post by Thespio »

In post 140, Munchmellow wrote:Here's my readlist:
Town: Skellen ( UNVOTE: Skellen ),
Null-town: PvT, Elements, Enter
Null: Loopdan
Mixed feelings (null-scum): thespio, muh

I don't have a reading on MDb.

Skellen- Skellen/Loopdan seemed TvT or at worst TvS, but Skellen reads town to me anyway.

PvT - more town than scum, even though not as active as usually, but I think this is NAI right now.

Elements - actually don't have much to say about him. Townvibe and didn't say anything that I could scumread, so I lean town.

Enter - strong entrance that seemed pro-town

Loopdan - maybe IC paranoia but I just can't read him as town. For now he is null to me.

Thespio- I already explained what bothered me. I know it was only one post that really stood out for me, but that made me read his ISO as coming from a scum perspective and I could see it.

Muh - I know selfvote was in RVS and as a joke, but O don't like it. I think it is a kind of joke, that would make someone look goofy town - good for scum to do it. I also disliked his double bussing comment. But even after his explaination I think just stating the other possible outcome is not helpfull and just makes you look like you have an opinion without actually sorting people.

VOTE: Thespio
Your concern is valid, engage with me, i would like to get a better read on you.
Elements
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Elements
she/her
Bloop
Bloop
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:40 am

Post by Elements »

Returning to this post now i'm back:
{Skellen} - Strong Town
{Enter} - Null Town
{Munchmellow, Loopdan, muh} - Null
{PvtUrist} - Null Scum
{Thespio} - Scum

Skellen - appears to me to be looking for any inconsistencies in voting behaviour and what people have been saying prior to this. The most towny out of everyone imo

PvtUrist - This is based on comparison with my last game with them. I'm getting similar play style vibes to that game (Newbie 1907) in which they were scum. This could just be their general play style hence only Null Scum

Munchmellow - Not much input, but i do like the reasoning behind her reads

Enter - As people have mentioned before, strong input upon joining the game, seems like genuinely trying to progress the game/scum hunt rather than appearing to do this while steering the town down the wrong track

muh - nothining has rlly stood out to me as either side inclined, not much of anything here

Loopdan - seems to be lot of fence sitting, this read is mostly due to Enter's spiel upon entering the game as it seeded doubt in my mind as to loopdan's alighnment

Thespio - None of his posts seem to advance the game much if at all. "lynch me if no one else" is sketchy and as i've said i do not like it, it destroyed my first game. "policy lynch the inactives"(not a direct quote but is the general vibe i get from his iso) and "i think all actives are town" seem to me like scum pushing for an easy lynch on someone unlikely to defend themselves as vigorously as the more active players, and also an easy way to put their fellow scum as a town read.

VOTE: Thespio - now at L-2

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”