Newbie 1916: Epic Music [Game Over!]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Newbie 1916: Epic Music [Game Over!]

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:10 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

Newbie 1916:
Epic Music Mafia

Game Ended!

Winner =
Town!

Moderated by Frozen Angel

The mafia chat stays private by their request.
The dead chat: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=78728
Clemency notebook (he requested for one :) ): viewtopic.php?f=90&t=78754

Alive (4/9):

YyottaCat
Birdy
good
Plawpy
CatStar
Clemency (SE) *
teacher (IC)

Proded : *

Dead (5):

Spoiler:
TemporalLich,
Vanilla Townie
, lynched Day 1.

roomy,
Vanilla Townie
, killed Night 1.

LewisMCYoutube
u r a person 2,
Mafia Roleblocker
, lynched Day 2.

Skellen,
Vanilla Townie
, killed Night 2.

Emperor flippyNips (SE),
Mafia Goon
, lynched Day 3.

Links

Last edited by Frozen Angel on Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 14 times in total.
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:33 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

Game Rules

All MafiaScum Rules apply at all times.

General
  1. Always play to win.
  2. If you believe a mod error has been made or you disagree with any actions we took, send a private message to this account immediately and do not discuss it in the game itself.
  3. NEVER discuss this game with other players outside of this Game Thread unless in the private threads that are authorized by me.
    1. If you're mafia, the only place you can chat with your partner about the game is the specified private thread that I will give its link to you.
    2. If you're dead, the only place you can chat about the game is the game dead chat - private thread.
  4. Do not mention or discuss any ongoing games in this game thread or related topics.
  5. Remember that this is a game - having a heated discussion is allowed, but personal attacks are not. Comment on play, not player.
  6. Pretending to break the rules will be treated similarly as actually breaking the rules.
  7. You may not quote private communication of any kind, including (real or fabricated) Moderator-supplied information such as your role pm or results. Paraphrasing is acceptable. If you're unsure, ask me first.
    1. You may not quote private topic or other out-of-game discussion chats in the public game thread, regardless of if the quotes are real or fabricated. Paraphrasing is acceptable.
    2. You can always copy and paste the full content of your own posts (outside of moderator communications) so long as it does not contain any links to where it came from or any timestamps or any other kind of marks and labels that can confirm it's not fabricated in any way and if it was not a direct chat with anyone else.
  8. If you need to get my attention, please include bolded "
    @mod
    " in your post or PM me.
  9. This
    (#00BFFF) is my color. Please don't use it.
  10. Do not use encryption, hidden text or excessively small text in your posts.
  11. Do not use any form of provable randomness. This includes dice tags, screenshots of random.org, etc. Saying you flipped a coin is okay, providing some sort of proof that you did isn’t.
  12. Adding or changing your forum avatar or signature or profile mid-game in an attempt to hint at your Role or to send a game related message is not allowed.
  13. Do not post in the game thread or any private topics following your death, with the exception of the dead thread.
  14. My decisions are final. If I feel you are violating any of the rules, I will take the appropriate action.
  15. If you have the ability to edit your posts, do not do so.
  16. This rule set is subject to change at any time if necessary. If a change is made mid-game, it will be announced in-thread by me.
Voting and Lynching
  1. Day 1 will last for
    10 days
    , with all further days lasting for
    7 days
    . Any day will end earlier when a majority is reached.

2. All votes and unvotes must be in
    bold
    or in VOTE: tags, with vote tags being preferable.
  3. Votes in spoilers or quotes will not be counted.
  4. Abbreviations and nicknames are acceptable, as long as I can understand them.
  5. Lynches will occur when a majority (>50%) is reached. If no majority is reached before deadline, the day will end in a no-lynch.
  6. You can also vote for a No-Lynch. If a majority decides on a No-Lynch the day will end sooner with no one getting lynched.
  7. Once a hammer has occurred, the game is in "Twilight". Discussion may continue until I lock the thread but no further votes or unvotes will be counted. The lynched player is allowed to chat as long as the thread is not locked.
Activity
  1. You are expected to make at least one game-relevant post every 36 hours. Players who go 36 hours without posting will be prodded.
  2. If you are prodded, you have 24 hours to post in-thread. If you do not respond within 24 hours, you will be replaced. Additionally, if I have to prod you 3 or more times, I reserve the right to replace you at my own discretion.
  3. If you are going to be V/LA (Vacation / Limited Access), please bold it in thread or PM me.
Useful Links:
This is a game :) Remember to have fun! If you had any questions about game rules feel free to send a message to me!

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

Newbie Setup

2d3 (as designed by Cabd):

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Neapolitan
Town Cop and Town Tracker
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Doctor
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Neapolitan and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Doctor

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role. The remaining six roles will be filled in by
one mafia goons
and
five vanilla townies
appropriately, to create a
2-mafia
and
7-town
setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects.
Mafia Roleblocker
action takes precedence over a
Town Jailkeeper
action should that apply.

Mafia can communicate in their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: Full Setups
Column A & Row 1:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Neapolitan, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Neapolitan, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Doctor, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5

Spoiler: Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town NeapolitanWelcome!

You are a
Town Neapolitan

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Vanilla Townie
or
Not Vanilla Townie
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Mafia RolecopWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
and
Mafia Goons
will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

The game thread is here.

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:14 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

All Role pms are out (in the order of the signup list so timestamps mean nothing). Please confirm your role pm by sending a private message to me with your role name and alignment
privately

Please read the game rules in a second post on this page.

The game will start in 48 hours in (expired on 2019-02-08 13:00:00) or when at least 8 players from 9 signed up players confirm.

Note: Under the vote counts and my other posts I will post some Epic Theme Music (Pop/Rock etc). These Music are just flavor and are not impacted from the game state and has absolutely nothing to do with anything else that is happening in the game thread (are from a pre-made playlist :D ) and have no deeper meaning. Hope you enjoy them :)

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

It's now Day 1 !

Vote Count 1.0No one is currently voting

Not Voting (9): TemporalLich, roomy, YyottaCat, LewisMCYoutube, Skellen, Plawpy, Clemency, Emperor flippyNips, teacher

With 9 players alive it takes 5 votes to lynch.

Day 1 ends in (expired on 2019-02-18 11:05:00)

Note: Replacing YyottaCat and Plawpy who failed to confirm their role in the past 48 hours.

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:20 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

Birdy replaces YyottaCat.
CatStar replaces Plawpy.

Effective immediately.

Birdy and CatStar have 2 days till (expired on 2019-02-10 11:20:00) to confirm their role pms.

Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: any

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:35 am

Post by Clemency »

teacher! :D
"all due respect, the words "Clemency" and "normal" do not belong in the same paragraph" - the worst
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:42 am

Post by teacher »

VOTE: Clemency!

IC post coming soon, but then Im offline for the day - my kiddos are taking regional exams this week, so I have a fun weekend of grading ahead of me.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 am

Post by teacher »

IC Intro, adapted from many othersHey everybody! I'm teacher, your Inexperience-Challenged (IC) player for the game (it's my third time)! That means I am here to lead by example and answer your questions along the way. I will be playing to my win condition to the best of my ability, but if you have questions about Game Theory or Da Rules, I am required to answer them honestly, and to be clear when I am speaking as am IC vs. as a Player. Just as an FYI, I am a teacher with limited daytime access, but I will be signing on at night every night to give thoughts and respond.

What does this mean? That means I am here to lead by example and answer your questions along the way. I will be playing to my win-con (win condition) to the best of my ability, but if you have questions about Game Theory or Rules, I am required to answer them honestly, and to be clear when I am speaking as an IC vs. speaking as a Player.

Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

And here are some helpful tips:

->
Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in our moderator's rules, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

->
"Site Meta"
is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

--->
Random Voting Stage (RVS)

The game almost always begins with RVS. Players make up reasons to vote each other. This gets people talking and the game eventually moves out of RVS pretty quickly.

--->
Voting, L-1, and Hammers

If your vote puts someone at L-1 (Lynch-1) this means there is only one more vote needed to eliminate that player from the game and end the day phase. you should always declare L-1 so that someone else doesn't come along and accidentally (or not so accidentally) place another vote on that person (a "hammer vote") that ends the day. To declare L-1 you just say something like "This is L-1" in the same post as your vote that put the player at L-1.

--->
Declaring Intent to Hammer

Before you hammer a player, state that you
intend
to hammer them first. Usually at this point the player will claim their role. It's best to then allow other players to react and respond to their claim before hammering.

--->
Claiming Your Role

It is frowned upon to claim your role unless you are about to be lynched (L-1 with an intent to hammer). Why is it generally a bad idea to claim your role? If you are a town power role (PR) you are then likely to be night-killed (NK'd). Even if you are a Vanilla Townie with no powers beyond your vote and your voice, you should not claim prematurely, as this then helps the scum players narrow down their field of possible NK candidates.

--->
Do not fake claim a power role as town!
You might think you will be outsmarting scum and gaining an advantage, but it is very rare when fake-claiming in a Newbie game benefits the town. While it may help you avoid getting lynched, you might cause a real PR (Power Role) to out themselves by counter claiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get lynched for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

--->
Don't vote for yourself.
There are very rare occasions where this is helpful in non-newbie games, but usually only for scum, so if you do it here you will certainly get scumread for it.

->
Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

->
Good luck and have fun!
:]
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:08 am

Post by TemporalLich »

And here we go!
time will end
CatStar
CatStar
Townie
CatStar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:35 am

Post by CatStar »

VOTE: Birdy

Hello again!
LewisMCYoutube
LewisMCYoutube
Townie
LewisMCYoutube
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:44 am

Post by LewisMCYoutube »

VOTE: CatStar

Good afternoon/morning!
roomy
roomy
Townie
roomy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:37 am

Post by roomy »

VOTE: LewisMCYoutube

never trust a youtuber
Emperor flippyNips
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:54 am

Post by Emperor flippyNips »

VOTE: Skellen

Hellllooo everyone

Teacher, Clem what up
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:59 am

Post by TemporalLich »

VOTE: roomy

something something or another
time will end
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:28 am

Post by Skellen »

Not a cat person, I am allergic to you.

Emperor flippyNips
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:36 am

In post 15, Skellen wrote:Not a cat person, I am allergic to you.

Omg me too!! Although I do like their name
Emperor flippyNips
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:40 am

What’s everyone’s exerpience level?
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:44 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 17, Emperor flippyNips wrote:What’s everyone’s exerpience level?
like 1-2 games on epicmafia or something.

I'd say like 0.1% experienced
time will end
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 am

Post by teacher »

One IC-ish point -- you should all get Avis - it is a courtesy form of “facial recognition” for posts.

@TemporalLitch, thanks for reminding me of epic; thats good fun for marathon procrastination

And I kinda want to expand on Flippy's question with some self-meta and hunting questions as well

1. What is your experience at Mafia
2. How do you play as town
3. How do you play as scum
4. What do you think gives away a player as scum or town
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:51 am

Post by teacher »

In post 19, teacher wrote:1. What is your experience at Mafia
1. RL years ago; appr 14 forum games in the last year.
2. I effort obv!town (but have a lot less time during the school year)
3. I effort obv!town (see above).
4. Motivations, probabilities, and associations. For each post, I try to ascertain the motive behind it. Does it seem town-motivated or scum-motivated. To be sure, both town and scum have similar objectives, but they arent overlapping. Town is not as afraid of being lynched, because there will be a mislynch at some point; scum knows that their death is 50% of a loss. Town wants to out real analysis to advance the game; scum wants to repeat information that everybody knows so they can appear to be helping without actually doing it. Another key area of difference is in probabilities. Here, I cant say it much better than a strategy article from the Wiki (link). I'll speak more on associations tomorrow if Im still kicking.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:53 am

Post by teacher »

Finally, sorry for the repeat paragraph in my IC intro. My old one got locked, and when I tried to steal it back from someone who stole mine, I didnt paste well.

Im off for the night, but good luck all!
roomy
roomy
Townie
roomy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Post by roomy »

In post 19, teacher wrote:One IC-ish point -- you should all get Avis - it is a courtesy form of “facial recognition” for posts.

@TemporalLitch, thanks for reminding me of epic; thats good fun for marathon procrastination

And I kinda want to expand on Flippy's question with some self-meta and hunting questions as well

1. What is your experience at Mafia
1. played some epicmafia as well
2. scumhunt
3. scumhunt but you make it up
4. I read an article in the wiki teacher linked to regarding scumhunting based on interactions; I think they're vital too. might sound trite, but it bears keeping in mind that the scum team knows everyone's alignment; their interactions with people are all deceptive. I wouldn't say that scum, or at least good scum, just want to "repeat information that everybody knows" -- scum can post real, fresh, and well-reasoned analysis towards a false target just as easily. but what they can't do is honestly treat each individual as if they are blind to their alignment, and that's what forms cracks in the facade.
LewisMCYoutube
LewisMCYoutube
Townie
LewisMCYoutube
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Post by LewisMCYoutube »

In post 19, teacher wrote:1. What is your experience at Mafia
Since this is my first on-site game I can't really answer these well, I've played some Epicmafia and Town of Salem before though those are clearly quite different from what I've seen. I guess I can say if I'm town I try to lynch the evils and if I'm scum I'll try to blend in with the Town more than anything.
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Post by Skellen »

In post 19, teacher wrote: 1. What is your experience at Mafia
1. Played only offline games, have now one "newbie" game here under my belt which transformed due to replacements into a SE game. Confronted me with many unusual situations, but thus a great learning experience.
2. Eh, I just play. I like figuring things out and as town you have nothing to lose so no point in holding back, thus I like this more. I try to gather as many informations as I can and see where it leads to.
3. Never rolled scum, so no idea. Offline I am terrible as I am no good at lying and can't even keep a poker face for ten seconds. People say I tend to be more passive and unmotivated which probably fits given the lack on necessity to figure things out.
4. I look for consistencies and inconsistencies, at one point scum is bound to make mistakes if they get engaged enough. Normally. Of course looking for obvious scumtells like rolefishing etc. My first game made me reevaluate some things though, but I don't want to go into specifics, no need to write a manual for scum how to avoid getting scumread. What gives town away to me depends on how comprehensible their play is to me and if I can see where their thoughts are coming from, even if I should disagree with some thoughts.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”