Newbie 1916: Epic Music [Game Over!]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

Vote Count 1.1
CatStar (2): LewisMCYoutube, Skellen
[L-3]
Clemency (1): teacher
Birdy (1): CatStar
LewisMCYoutube (1): roomy
Skellen (1): Emperor flippyNips
roomy (1): TemporalLich

Not Voting (2): Birdy, Clemency

With 9 players alive it takes 5 votes to lynch.

Day 1 ends in (expired on 2019-02-18 11:05:00)

Spoiler: Vote Change Tracker/Vote Links Day 1
teacher -> Clemency
CatStar -> Birdy
LewisMCYoutube -> CatStar
roomy -> LewisMCYoutube
Emperor flippyNips -> Skellen
TemporalLich -> roomy
Skellen -> CatStar

Spoiler: Wagon Change Tracker Day 1
CatStar (0+2): LewisMCYoutube, Skellen
Clemency (0+1): teacher
Birdy (0+1): CatStar
LewisMCYoutube (0+1): roomy
Skellen (0+1): Emperor flippyNips
roomy (0+1): TemporalLich

Note: Birdy hasn't confirmed their role pm yet. They have till (expired on 2019-02-10 11:20:00) to do so.

False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 pm

Post by teacher »

@flippy - why skellen over people you had played with/people who had posted?

@clem - which of you is showing up?
Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: any

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:51 am

Post by Clemency »

showing up?
"all due respect, the words "Clemency" and "normal" do not belong in the same paragraph" - the worst
CatStar
CatStar
Townie
CatStar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:11 am

Post by CatStar »

In post 19, teacher wrote:
1. What is your experience at Mafia
2. How do you play as town
3. How do you play as scum
4. What do you think gives away a player as scum or town
1. One game on here, finished.
2. A bit paranoid
3. Don't know
4. Trying to split town, pushing reads without backing them up, engaging in lots of non game speculation... basically being present without advancing town wincon and causing confusion
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:36 am

Post by teacher »

In post 27, Clemency wrote:showing up?
To steal from loop, memey or slightly effortful (or depends on the day)
Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:47 am

Post by Clemency »

well newbies is usually where i try more
"all due respect, the words "Clemency" and "normal" do not belong in the same paragraph" - the worst
Emperor flippyNips
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:23 am

Post by Emperor flippyNips »

In post 19, teacher wrote:

1. What is your experience at Mafia
2. How do you play as town
3. How do you play as scum
4. What do you think gives away a player as scum or town

1.I have played a handful of times in person and have been on the site a couple months.
2.as town I’m observant and wait for people to slip, & ask questions
3.as scum I try to start a wagons
4. I think what gives scum away is trying a little too hard. But it’s situational, I’ve seen town try way to hard before.

I feel like I’ve taken awhile to get to this I’m on a mini vacation till Monday. I’ll try to do my catching up in the mornings or at night. Or any other times I find to hop on here
Emperor flippyNips
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Emperor flippyNips
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:25 am

Post by Emperor flippyNips »

In post 26, teacher wrote:@flippy - why skellen over people you had played with/people who had posted?

I just like to vote people that haven’t been voted yet in my RVS
roomy
roomy
Townie
roomy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:35 am

Post by roomy »

@teacher -- what's your experience been with clem?
roomy
roomy
Townie
roomy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:46 am

Post by roomy »

it strikes me as odd that some answers to the scumtell question are themed around scummy = playing like bad town (e.g. "being present without advancing town wincon" / having incomprehensible play). especially in a newbie game, this seems like a dangerous line of thinking; scum can play like legibly good town, and town players can lurk / be unhelpful / not explain reads.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:24 am

Post by teacher »

In post 33, roomy wrote:@teacher -- what's your experience been with clem?
1 game - Newb 1909. That's my last completed game, played while I was on winter break. He was a good town player as PR there, but someone with more experience suggested that the effort was a slight deviation from the mean of being memey and nullish, so I wanted to structure my expectations according to his response and commitment here.

Congrats on earning an early town read for yourself, the first out of null either way for me.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:36 am

Post by teacher »

In post 32, Emperor flippyNips wrote:
In post 26, teacher wrote:@flippy - why skellen over people you had played with/people who had posted?

I just like to vote people that haven’t been voted yet in my RVS
Not sure that answers my question. I hadnt been voted yet when you RVSed, so again, why not vote me? Also, I found this odd:
In post 31, Emperor flippyNips wrote:I think what gives scum away is trying a little too hard.
Last game I played with you, you and the other scum were mostly silent. Plus, there you said you didnt really know how to scumhunt. I'm wondering when you acquired this purported tell (can you show me?), and it also amplifies my question of why you wouldnt vote me -- a player you knows falls into the try-hard category. So sell me on town!flippy when youre off break, otherwise I might think youre cursed to always roll scum in the newbqueue
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:47 am

Post by Skellen »

Even although the question was addressed at flippy, why would it matter if he doesn't vote people he has played with? And if it is a bothersome thing to vote people who hadn't posted yet, why are you not addressing this then to CatStar too who is the only one who is still voting the one player who hasn't even picked up his role PM according to Frozen?

PEdit: Ah, you probably didn't do the latter because you have some history with flippy and Clem going by your recent post and thus only addressed them. But still.
In post 32, Emperor flippyNips wrote: I just like to vote people that haven’t been voted yet in my RVS
I already wondered about this last game kind of, but why not voting people who already have one vote? If we all circle vote ourselves we are basically back at start, just with everyone having one vote instead of zero. If the point of RVS is to get people talking or pressure them, then particularly the latter seems pointless to me with that mindset.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:58 am

Post by teacher »

@
I do think RVS serves a point, one I will talk about after RVS if you remind me - I dont want to undermine it now by explaining how I use it. In response to your direct question, I dont mind voting people who havent voted as much. But people do tend to vote people they know, as a way of semi-friendly greeting. So I found Flippy's vote in particular odd, in a way I didnt find CatStar's (whose vote was consistent with that rule of thumb). On your general point, several players encourage RVS to become random wagonning stage, so you can get data on how people react under pressure and who joins/pushes against. I dont have views either way.

Also, I only addressed Flip + clem with questions because they are SEs and I wanted to give all newbs time to answer my general experience questions and get acclimated before I start drilling.
Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:11 am

Post by Clemency »

i like skellen
skellen's cool
Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:16 am

Post by Clemency »

i'm pocketing skellen and teacher this game thanks
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

A lack of confidence, dishonesty, or seemingly having something to hide are probably scumtells, but I'm just a newbie.
time will end
roomy
roomy
Townie
roomy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:18 pm

Post by roomy »

@clem — what was your experience like with teacher?
Birdy
Birdy
Townie
Birdy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:03 pm

Post by Birdy »

Here to confirm my presence. I see there's a bit of discussion going on already. See you all tomorrow.
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:18 pm

Post by Skellen »

In post 38, teacher wrote:@
I do think RVS serves a point, one I will talk about after RVS if you remind me - I dont want to undermine it now by explaining how I use it. In response to your direct question, I dont mind voting people who havent voted as much. But people do tend to vote people they know, as a way of semi-friendly greeting. So I found Flippy's vote in particular odd, in a way I didnt find CatStar's (whose vote was consistent with that rule of thumb). On your general point, several players encourage RVS to become random wagonning stage, so you can get data on how people react under pressure and who joins/pushes against. I dont have views either way.
I see, I will admit I am not that familiar with those RVS tendencies, but I get your stance in this matter and I see where you are going with it so I am fine with that.

Ah, I think you misunderstood my statement about RVS a little bit. Or I phrased it poorly, whatever. It wasn't meant as general question. I don't deny the point in RVS and there can be some merit to it, I actually agree with what you said. I was more challenging flippy's attitude only to vote people who haven't been voted yet.

While I am at it and I can't find anything on the wiki about that an IC question: Is pocketing only something done by scum or is it independent from the alignment? To be frank I almost snapvoted Clem for # due to past game experience where it was always associated with scum play.

And since we are talking about Clem and RVS and you are familiar with him. What do you think of him keeping himself away from RVS so far? What makes him different from flippy who you criticize for not voting you but someone else while Clem simply doesn't vote?
roomy
roomy
Townie
roomy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:22 pm

Post by roomy »

@skellen — why not snap vote clem?

also, what is “pocketing” am I missing something ? just like buddying or something else
Skellen
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Skellen
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Post by Skellen »

In post 45, roomy wrote:@skellen — why not snap vote clem?

also, what is “pocketing” am I missing something ? just like buddying or something else
Which is exactly why I asked first as I am not so sure about it myself. I guess kind of like buddying, I learned that it the way that scum attempts to get with a town player at such good terms that the townie finally starts to advocate for said scum. It's just that blatant by Clem.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

UNVOTE: roomy

roomy and Skellen currently strike me as soft town.
time will end
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Post by teacher »

In post 44, Skellen wrote:While I am at it and I can't find anything on the wiki about that an IC question: Is pocketing only something done by scum or is it independent from the alignment? To be frank I almost snapvoted Clem for #40 due to past game experience where it was always associated with scum play.

And since we are talking about Clem and RVS and you are familiar with him. What do you think of him keeping himself away from RVS so far? What makes him different from flippy who you criticize for not voting you but someone else while Clem simply doesn't vote?
Im jumping a bit back in the thread just to capture both questions.

1. Pocketing as an actual thing can only come from scum. It means to give town (generally leaders/influences) town reads in the hope of receiving the same. But as you noted later in thread, Clem's explicit use of the word in is "just that blatant." Put another way, it is too blatant to be a scumslip, at least from a player as good as Clem. His use of it here is a NAI joke consistent with the personality in his avatar. I took it as a way of sharing a townread on you and me with the board, but not as informative of his own alignment.

2. I wont get AI indicative data on pressuring Clem. He will just joke it off. Flippy I might learn something from. Clem will join wagons when asked to, but tends to withhold his real views until wagons actually start smelling like they might lead to rope.
teacher
teacher
Jack of All Trades
teacher
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 pm

Post by teacher »

Since our fearless leader seems to be on in my early AM, Im just going to post this in case she wants a pagetop.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”