Newbie 1917 - Game Over

GuiltyLion
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: August 19, 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Pronoun: He

Post Post #75  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:39 pm

In post 72, Thespio wrote:Im sorry but this makes you look dense, if you arent willing to read the game why are you queuing?


CsBlastoise, you understood exactly what I was saying (and thanks for the reply, that is helping clear some things up for me). What do you think of this comment from Thespio here?

In post 72, Thespio wrote:lets just not lynch someone because of some newbie posts,


again, no one was saying to lynch.

In post 72, Thespio wrote:Im more curious why you are so offensive with nothing to go on.


I'm not "offensive", I'm asking questions and applying pressure to help me sort people.

In post 72, Thespio wrote:Why dont you think early posts arent NAI?


every post is potentially AI. town are always town and scum are always scum, this doesn't change whether it's an early post or a late game post. NAI posts are posts that truly could come from either alignment. AI posts are posts that you think are more likely to come from one or the other. I haven't commented at all on posts I've thought were NAI (Muh's opening, Saint's opening). I am calling out the things that I think would help me and others interpret the game and alignments involved.

In post 72, Thespio wrote:why do you think im miss repping? why are you replying saying im not answering questions when I am?


already answered both of these. you still are not answering why you chose to say TTTT and I were "freaking out"

In post 72, Thespio wrote:I think you might be the best place to put pressure.


I'd be quite surprised if anyone agreed with you.
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"

Thespio
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: June 03, 2015
Pronoun: He

Post Post #76  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:46 pm

In post 75, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 72, Thespio wrote:Im sorry but this makes you look dense, if you arent willing to read the game why are you queuing?


CsBlastoise, you understood exactly what I was saying (and thanks for the reply, that is helping clear some things up for me). What do you think of this comment from Thespio here?

In post 72, Thespio wrote:lets just not lynch someone because of some newbie posts,


again, no one was saying to lynch.

In post 72, Thespio wrote:Im more curious why you are so offensive with nothing to go on.


I'm not "offensive", I'm asking questions and applying pressure to help me sort people.

In post 72, Thespio wrote:Why dont you think early posts arent NAI?


every post is potentially AI. town are always town and scum are always scum, this doesn't change whether it's an early post or a late game post. NAI posts are posts that truly could come from either alignment. AI posts are posts that you think are more likely to come from one or the other. I haven't commented at all on posts I've thought were NAI (Muh's opening, Saint's opening). I am calling out the things that I think would help me and others interpret the game and alignments involved.

In post 72, Thespio wrote:why do you think im miss repping? why are you replying saying im not answering questions when I am?


already answered both of these. you still are not answering why you chose to say TTTT and I were "freaking out"

In post 72, Thespio wrote:I think you might be the best place to put pressure.


I'd be quite surprised if anyone agreed with you.



You both got on a newbies case because they posted newbie posts, and people do agree with me, Thats fine but TTTT is saying they are scum, I dont know what games you play but scum die, and right now they are at L-2.

Your post is just WIFOM, all over, vomited. You are digging into things with no impact, example, I conciser your actions freaking out. You say they arent, so what? who does this implicate? I say you are acting dense, you dont think you are, cool, who does this impact? scum thrive on misdirection and chaos and thats all you have been adding to this game from your FIRST post.

GuiltyLion
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: August 19, 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Pronoun: He

Post Post #77  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:54 pm

I honestly don't know what you're even saying at this point. I don't think continuing to engage with you down this line will be productive, you don't seem to be willing or able to engage with what I've said in good faith. I will leave it to other players to decide whether they think these posts:

In post 11, GuiltyLion wrote:VOTE: chennisden

feels over-explainy

In post 13, GuiltyLion wrote:no worries, there's not really a "standard" and people will have different opinions on how to interpret things. if you're town don't sweat it, I'll likely come around on you if you stay engaged. early game you kinda just have to start with small things and see where it leads, to me voting you for a non-random reason is incrementally better than voting a slot randomly

In post 14, GuiltyLion wrote:but also if you are scum then I have already caught you and you should feel an immense amount of pressure


constitute "freaking out"
or
introducing "misdirection"/"chaos"
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"

GuiltyLion
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: August 19, 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Pronoun: He

Post Post #78  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:54 pm

or a call to lynch. because that's simply not there, at all.
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"

TTTT
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 04, 2016

Post Post #79  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:59 pm

In post 73, CsBlastoise wrote:But yes, now I'm realizing that I should ask @TTTT, just what is it in Chen's minimal content that you find scummy?

I hate doing this bc now it's gonna look like I'm super-efforting for this lynch
but you asked nicely...

Spoiler:
In post 9, chennisden wrote:VOTE: Screamingnoodle Gonna put the pressure on someone who's confirmed while I'm waiting for the inactives.

In post 10, chennisden wrote:EbWoP: confirmed their role PM.

In post 15, chennisden wrote:1 post is not enough to scumread anyone. Best to let the game develop in RVS for now I guess

In post 16, chennisden wrote:
In post 13, GuiltyLion wrote:no worries, there's not really a "standard" and people will have different opinions on how to interpret things. if you're town don't sweat it, I'll likely come around on you if you stay engaged. early game you kinda just have to start with small things and see where it leads, to me voting you for a non-random reason is incrementally better than voting a slot randomly


You're right. May change vote to Muh due to "voting for salt" (better than voting a random slot)


this looks like newbscum overly concerned with how others perceive him
is over-explained
we know chennis read the "Introduction and Tips" post with the RVS info (based on )
yet he still goes out of his way to make his RVS vote look un-scummy
is unnecessary (again looks like he's concerned with how he's viewed)
the "I guess" is noncommitall and the whole post is a missed opportunity to engage with his accuser (GL)
here he kinda engages with GL but in an appeasing way that is non-committal and approval seeking

TTTT
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 04, 2016

Post Post #80  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:06 pm

@Muh - when you get back in here let's talk about Thespio

CsBlastoise
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: October 03, 2017
Location: (GMT -5)
Pronoun: He

Post Post #81  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 pm

In post 75, GuiltyLion wrote:
In post 72, Thespio wrote:Im sorry but this makes you look dense, if you arent willing to read the game why are you queuing?


CsBlastoise, you understood exactly what I was saying (and thanks for the reply, that is helping clear some things up for me). What do you think of this comment from Thespio here?
Are you asking me about the quote before this question or the quote after this question? If you're asking about the comment before, I don't know what to say — I mean, it's all about what Thespio thinks. If it's about the comment after, see what I wrote under it.

In post 75, GuiltyLion also wrote:
In post 72, Thespio wrote:lets just not lynch someone because of some newbie posts,


again, no one was saying to lynch.
Thespio wasn't saying anyone was saying to lynch either; his comment stems from the fact that Chen is at L-2.

In post 75, GuiltyLion also wrote:
In post 72, Thespio wrote:Im more curious why you are so offensive with nothing to go on.


I'm not "offensive", I'm asking questions and applying pressure to help me sort people.
It does look kind of aggressive, but hey, it's keeping the game moving. I'm not complaining too much.

In post 75, GuiltyLion also wrote:
In post 72, Thespio wrote:why do you think im miss repping? why are you replying saying im not answering questions when I am?


already answered both of these. you still are not answering why you chose to say TTTT and I were "freaking out"
Okay, this is the kind of behavior I remember seeing in Newbie 1827 (see my signature for more info), and it can get real ugly real fast. I propose that when one says that another is not answering questions, the latter should patiently restate his/her answers before demanding answers in return.

In post 75, GuiltyLion also wrote:
In post 72, Thespio wrote:I think you might be the best place to put pressure.


I'd be quite surprised if anyone agreed with you.
I feel like the best responds to this would be a thinking emoji, but we don't seem to have one built into this forum.

Next post: an answer to TTTT. Stay tuned.
In post 47 of the Newbie 1827 dead thread, mhsmith0 wrote:
I feel like this game is like a giant primer on how NOT to play mafia. On both sides really.

My biggest RIP moment so far

GuiltyLion
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: August 19, 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Pronoun: He

Post Post #82  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:41 pm

In post 81, CsBlastoise wrote:the latter should patiently restate his/her answers before demanding answers in return.


I appreciate the efforts to play moderator but I have reasons for answering the way I did. My answers to his questions are beyond clear in my ISO and I believe he is using the "you haven't answered my questions!" as further deflection/distraction from the fact that he dodged the original "why did you say freaking out" question.
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"

GuiltyLion
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: August 19, 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Pronoun: He

Post Post #83  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 pm

actually, my apologies, went back and reread that and he didn't say "you haven't answered my questions", I somehow invented that in my head. Rather, he is asking me the same questions over again while dodging the primary one I asked.
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"

CsBlastoise
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: October 03, 2017
Location: (GMT -5)
Pronoun: He

Post Post #84  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 pm

In post 79, TTTT wrote:
In post 73, CsBlastoise wrote:But yes, now I'm realizing that I should ask @TTTT, just what is it in Chen's minimal content that you find scummy?

I hate doing this bc now it's gonna look like I'm super-efforting for this lynch
but you asked nicely...

Spoiler:
In post 9, chennisden wrote:VOTE: Screamingnoodle Gonna put the pressure on someone who's confirmed while I'm waiting for the inactives.

In post 10, chennisden wrote:EbWoP: confirmed their role PM.

In post 15, chennisden wrote:1 post is not enough to scumread anyone. Best to let the game develop in RVS for now I guess

In post 16, chennisden wrote:
In post 13, GuiltyLion wrote:no worries, there's not really a "standard" and people will have different opinions on how to interpret things. if you're town don't sweat it, I'll likely come around on you if you stay engaged. early game you kinda just have to start with small things and see where it leads, to me voting you for a non-random reason is incrementally better than voting a slot randomly


You're right. May change vote to Muh due to "voting for salt" (better than voting a random slot)


this looks like newbscum overly concerned with how others perceive him
is over-explained
we know chennis read the "Introduction and Tips" post with the RVS info (based on )
yet he still goes out of his way to make his RVS vote look un-scummy
is unnecessary (again looks like he's concerned with how he's viewed)
the "I guess" is noncommitall and the whole post is a missed opportunity to engage with his accuser (GL)
here he kinda engages with GL but in an appeasing way that is non-committal and approval seeking
Okay, I see where you're coming from. However, I still feel like it's plausible enough for his behavior to come simply from the fact that he's new.

Honestly, I don't want to make a huge deal out of this, especially before chen has a chance to weigh in. I'll make it clear now that my read on chennisden is pretty much Null for the time being: I feel like what he has said so far is not necessarily scummy, but he has not yet said anything to make him seem like a townie, either. (Notice I never did claim to townread him.) He just sounds like a newbie to me, that's all.

@Chen, could you weigh in so that we can have a better idea of where to go with this (or whether we should just drop it)?

PEdit: Ninja'd
In post 47 of the Newbie 1827 dead thread, mhsmith0 wrote:
I feel like this game is like a giant primer on how NOT to play mafia. On both sides really.

My biggest RIP moment so far

TTTT
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 04, 2016

Post Post #85  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:00 pm

In post 73, CsBlastoise wrote:
In post 62, TTTT wrote:@CsBlastoise
I know it's early
but if you had to pick one scum right now
who it be?
Too soon to say.


c'mon
gun to your head who is scum?

CsBlastoise
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: October 03, 2017
Location: (GMT -5)
Pronoun: He

Post Post #86  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:14 pm

In post 85, TTTT wrote:
In post 73, CsBlastoise wrote:
In post 62, TTTT wrote:@CsBlastoise
I know it's early
but if you had to pick one scum right now
who it be?
Too soon to say.


c'mon
gun to your head who is scum?
[Very fearfully] Aaah! I'm telling you I have no clue! Now get that gun away from me, please!

Seriously, though, I'm on the new side. I'm not that great at reading people. (Not to mention that I was a in Newbie 1827… and I was town.)

(I seriously need to stop citing Newbie 1827.)
In post 47 of the Newbie 1827 dead thread, mhsmith0 wrote:
I feel like this game is like a giant primer on how NOT to play mafia. On both sides really.

My biggest RIP moment so far

CsBlastoise
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: October 03, 2017
Location: (GMT -5)
Pronoun: He

Post Post #87  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:16 pm

In post 86, CsBlastoise wrote:Seriously, though, I'm on the new side. I'm not that great at reading people.
I know it probably looks scummy, but it's true. I'm kind of reading everyone as more null than anything else.
In post 47 of the Newbie 1827 dead thread, mhsmith0 wrote:
I feel like this game is like a giant primer on how NOT to play mafia. On both sides really.

My biggest RIP moment so far

Thespio
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: June 03, 2015
Pronoun: He

Post Post #88  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:20 pm

In post 85, TTTT wrote:
In post 73, CsBlastoise wrote:
In post 62, TTTT wrote:@CsBlastoise
I know it's early
but if you had to pick one scum right now
who it be?
Too soon to say.


c'mon
gun to your head who is scum?


Right now, reguardless of our disagreement on NAI early newbie posts, here is my list Town>Scum

CS>TTTT>GuiltyLion

but i cant add anyone else because no one else is posting.

CsBlastoise
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: October 03, 2017
Location: (GMT -5)
Pronoun: He

Post Post #89  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:32 pm

By the way, [Got ninja'd by a relevant post; added the first sentence accordingly.] Yeah, the four of us are kind of dominating this game.
Specifically, we seriously need some more input from SaintAngelDFE and muh316; each of them has only posted once, and they were both more than 12 hours ago. Screamingnoodle also has only two posts, but at least his most recent one was two hours ago.

Granted, I was once in a situation where I tried to play a forum mafia game while my access to MafiaScum was limited, so if that's the case with Saint and muh, I can understand. On the other hand, such a situation is extremely undesirable: there's so much catchup to do and it's so hard to post that it's not worth it, and I should have asked to be replaced long before I was force-replaced for inactivity.
In post 47 of the Newbie 1827 dead thread, mhsmith0 wrote:
I feel like this game is like a giant primer on how NOT to play mafia. On both sides really.

My biggest RIP moment so far

Screamingnoodle
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: February 07, 2019
Location: Iowa
Pronoun: She

Post Post #90  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:25 pm

I'm a her. I've just been mainly reading what everyone has been saying. Mainly because I am not used to the mechanics that you all have been discussing.

chennisden
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: February 11, 2019
Location: milky way
Pronoun: He

Post Post #91  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi, my school blocks Mafia and I had to sleep, so I wasn't on for a while.

I will read through and give thoughts.

Screamingnoodle
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: February 07, 2019
Location: Iowa
Pronoun: She

Post Post #92  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Not really sure what else to say to be honest...
Naturally, anyone posting in the spotlight become some kind of target or cast of suspicion. So early on, not sure where to throw my vote truly in as the first lynch usually is a townie in my expirience. I don't have a clear grasp at who I think is scum at this point...

Screamingnoodle
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: February 07, 2019
Location: Iowa
Pronoun: She

Post Post #93  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:30 pm

Though, I wont be changing my vote unless I have a reason to believe the person is not for team town.

CsBlastoise
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: October 03, 2017
Location: (GMT -5)
Pronoun: He

Post Post #94  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:32 pm

In post 90, Screamingnoodle wrote:I'm a her.
Oops, sorry! I should have made sure to go back and check people's pronouns.

In post 90, Screamingnoodle also wrote:I've just been mainly reading what everyone has been saying. Mainly because I am not used to the mechanics that you all have been discussing.
Yeah, it can be kind of overwhelming. Maybe taking a look at the MafiaScum wiki will help.

In post 91, chennisden wrote:Hi, my school blocks Mafia and I had to sleep, so I wasn't on for a while.

I will read through and give thoughts.
Lol, so relatable.
In post 47 of the Newbie 1827 dead thread, mhsmith0 wrote:
I feel like this game is like a giant primer on how NOT to play mafia. On both sides really.

My biggest RIP moment so far

chennisden
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: February 11, 2019
Location: milky way
Pronoun: He

Post Post #95  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:37 pm

@screaming wait did you just OMGUS me

thoughts: TTTT is probably town tunneling too hard at the beginning. See Newbie 1912 where Enter pushed Loopdan for a D1 lynch. Somewhere between Null & Town Lean

CsBlastoise is Town Lean for trying not to push town too hard at the beginning.

@Thespio what makes you think people are trying to lynch me? Two of the three on my wagon are applying pressure and the other is OMGUSing(?)

@Screaming an OMGUS is usually indicative of scum, though I won't scumread you off of that.

CsBlastoise
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: October 03, 2017
Location: (GMT -5)
Pronoun: He

Post Post #96  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Oh, here's something that would be nice to know: What time zones are people in?

I'm in the US eastern time zone, GMT -5 (daylight saving starts March 10)

PEdit: Ninja'd
In post 47 of the Newbie 1827 dead thread, mhsmith0 wrote:
I feel like this game is like a giant primer on how NOT to play mafia. On both sides really.

My biggest RIP moment so far

Micc
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: October 01, 2013
Location: Miller Park
Pronoun: He

Post Post #97  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:40 pm

SaintAngelDFE has requested replacement.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" - Ninja Boy Hideo

chennisden
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: February 11, 2019
Location: milky way
Pronoun: He

Post Post #98  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Muh and saint are lurking. Their wagons are empty right now (if I'm wrong, the wagons have at most 1 vote). For scum that doesn't want to be killed, this seems to be optimal D1. And for people who think I'm scum: Consider I've helped advanced the gamestate (albeit mostly indirectly). Scum would lurk like Muh and Saint are. They are in no danger of a D1 lynch. It may be early to say this, but Saint is my first scumread

CsBlastoise
Townie
 
User avatar
Joined: October 03, 2017
Location: (GMT -5)
Pronoun: He

Post Post #99  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:45 pm

In post 95, chennisden wrote:@screaming wait did you just OMGUS me

thoughts: TTTT is probably town tunneling too hard at the beginning. See Newbie 1912 where Enter pushed Loopdan for a D1 lynch. Somewhere between Null & Town Lean

CsBlastoise is Town Lean for trying not to push town too hard at the beginning.

@Thespio what makes you think people are trying to lynch me? Two of the three on my wagon are applying pressure and the other is OMGUSing(?)

@Screaming an OMGUS is usually indicative of scum, though I won't scumread you off of that.
Oh, okay, looks like you must have some experience playing some sort of mafia online, based on the fact that you know what an OMGUS is. (Similarly, I played a good amount of chatroom mafia before playing on MafiaScum).

What are your thoughts on GuiltyLion? You've covered everyone else who has posted more than the mod so far, so…

PEdit: Ninja'd by the mod.
PE2: Ninja'd again. @chen Saint asked for replacement, so the apparent lurking might not be his fault.
In post 47 of the Newbie 1827 dead thread, mhsmith0 wrote:
I feel like this game is like a giant primer on how NOT to play mafia. On both sides really.

My biggest RIP moment so far

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games