Newbie 1955 - wikihow mafia [game over]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Newbie 1955 - wikihow mafia [game over]

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:30 am

Post by Skygazer »

Newbie 1955 - wikihow mafia

[game over]

Players:
  1. emps
  2. Aisa
    Saint Percy

3. Dongempire
    Sera Masumi
    Dyrenz
    animal samm

4. ClaimNow
    eekveek

5. Mackenie
  6. Kerset
  7. cyrus62 (SE)
  8. the worst
    Doctor Drew
    (SE)
  9. Robbnva (SE)
Spoiler: Reveals
Cyrus62, VT, lynched D1
Kerset, Town Cop, killed N1
ClaimNow, Mafia Roleblocker, lynched D2
Dongempire, VT, killed N2
emps, Mafia Goon, conceded D3
Last edited by Skygazer on Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 14 times in total.
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:38 am

Post by Skygazer »

Rules, adapted from schadd_ who adapted them from Nexus.

Be nice. It's a game.

General:
- Please adhere to the site rules.
- Do not discuss this game of mafia outside of this thread.
- Day one will last up to 10 real-life days. All other game days will last up to 7 real-life days.
- Night Phases will last 48 hours maximum. On any given night, if all players PM me that they are okay to speed up the night, it will end sooner.
- During night phase, no talking may be done in the thread.
- Do not quote PM's from the mod at all (real or fabricated). Paraphrasing is acceptable.
- Don't attempt to impersonate me.
- If you have any questions about your role, or the game, feel free to PM me.
- "Bah" posts are not allowed. If you die, you will no longer be able to post in this thread or any other game-related threads (aside from the dead thread) until the game is over.
- Don't publicly talk about potentially replacing out, and don't publicly request for other players to replace out. If you have an issue that may need to be resolved through a replacement, please feel free to bring it up privately with me!
- If you break any of these rules, you may be modkilled (only with a listmod's blessing) or force-replaced.

Voting / Player actions:
- Vote either with vote tags (VOTE: Skygazer) or with bold (
vote: Skygazer
). You may use nicknames and abbreviations if you wish, as long as it's unique to the player and I can figure out who you intended to vote.
- Don't try to confuse me with your votes.
- You may vote No Lynch to Not Lynch.
- A lynch will occur once a majority decision is reached. If no majority is reached by deadline, then no lynch shall occur.
- Following a lynch, it is twilight. You may continue to post until I lock the thread and declare it night.
- If nobody dies for 4 consecutive day and night phases, the town will win.
- If you have a Night Action, you may submit it from Night 1 and each subsequent Night (or whichever nights are specified by the role).
- If you have more than one night specific actions, you may only use one per night unless specified otherwise.

Activity:
- You are expected make a game-state advancing post at least once every 36 hours. If you haven't posted for 36 hours, I shall prod you. If you do not respond to the prod within 24 hours (either in thread if it's Day, or via PM during the Night) then I will replace you.
- As well, if you require more than two prods, I may force replace you at my discretion.

Mechanics:
- No impossible/hard to read text, or cryptography. For example, I would prefer that no font size smaller than the one you're reading now be used.
- I may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
- If you need to get the mod's attention, either PM me, or bold the text you wish to draw to my attention.
- I reserve the right to alter/remove/add any rules as I see fit. You will, of course, be notified if that happens, however.
- This game uses the NewD3 set-up. See the following post for details.
Last edited by Skygazer on Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
i have the most queues
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:41 am

Post by Skygazer »

Setup Info

Newbie Setup
Newbie Setup

NewD3 (as designed by RadiantCowbells):

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Mason and Town Mason
Town Tracker and Town Doctor
Town Mason and Town Mason

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role. The remaining six roles will be filled in by
one mafia goon
and
five vanilla townies
appropriately, to create a
2-mafia
and
7-town
setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects.
Mafia Roleblocker
action takes precedence over a
Town Jailkeeper
action should that apply.

Mafia are able to communicate in their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: Full Setups
Column A & Row 1:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5

Spoiler: Sample Role PM's
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town MasonWelcome!

You are a
Town Mason

You know that [player] is Town-aligned. You also share a Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You have no active abilities.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town Friendly NeighborYou are a
Town Friendly Neighbor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be sent a message informing them that you are Town-aligned.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RolecopWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
and
Mafia Goons
will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

The game thread is here.

i have the most queues
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:44 am

Post by Skygazer »

Introduction and Tips
Thanks to Irrelephant11 and others for their contributions to these tips.

Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

Key Concepts and Tips

Activity

Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in the moderator's original post, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

Site Meta

Meta is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

Random Voting Stage (RVS)

Games on MafiaScum almost always begin with what we call the Random Voting Stage (RVS). At this point in the game, we are in a low information game state (except the mafia, which know everyone’s alignment). As a way to provoke reaction, start a discussion, and try to determine alignment, people will usually vote for non-serious reasons. As the discussion progresses, we will eventually get the game moving and progress out of RVS.

Voting, L-x, and Hammers

L-x is a way to convey how far away a player is away from a lynch. For example, you should always announce that you are putting someone at L-1 (1 vote away from a lynch) so that someone doesn’t come along and accidentally vote for that players lynch. This also prevents Mafia-aligned players from coming along and placing the final vote to lynch (“hammer”) and claiming ignorance about doing so. You may also see L-2 and L-3 (2 votes away from a lynch and 3 votes away from a lynch, respectively).

Before you hammer a player, state your intent to hammer (usually done in bold) and ask the player to claim their role. This is done to prevent power roles from being lynched, and can sometimes get Mafia-aligned players to be caught (via counter claiming). It's best to then allow other players to react and discuss the claim before hammering.

Claiming Your Role

It is almost always best to not claim your role unless you are at L-1 and have been asked to claim as part of an “intent to hammer.” This is because, as a town power role (“PR”), if you out prematurely, you are likely to be night-killed (“NK’d”). As a Vanilla Townie (“VT”), claiming early helps the mafia team narrow down the setup and possible PR candidates. An exception to this would be if a mafia player claimed your role, claiming early to counter the false claim (“CC”) would out the mafia player, and would be a benefit to the town.

Do not fake claim a power role as town!
While it may help you avoid getting lynched, you might cause a real PR to out themselves by counter claiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get lynched for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

LyLo

LyLo is the shortened representation of “lynch or lose.” LyLo in the Newbie Queue is when there are 3 remaining players, 2 of which are town and 1 is mafia; or when there are 5 remaining players, 3 of which are town and 2 are mafia. It is important in these situations that the town aligned players do not carelessly vote like is done during RVS or early days, as the mafia player(s) can organize and instantly provide the necessary votes to lynch (“quickhammer”) and win the game.

Conclusion

Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

This is a game.
Have fun!
i have the most queues
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:14 am

Post by Skygazer »

All of the Role PMs have been sent out!

The game will begin when seven of you have confirmed!

Confirmations: 8/9
Last edited by Skygazer on Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i have the most queues
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:13 pm

Post by Skygazer »

Day one begins now!

animal samm and eekveek haven't opened up their Role PMs yet. They have (expired on 2019-09-07 18:15:00) to do so and confirm.

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to reach a lynch. Day one ends in (expired on 2019-09-16 20:15:00).
i have the most queues
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:13 pm

Post by Skygazer »

VC 1.00
3 Ways to Entertain a Conure

Not Voting (9): emps, Saint Percy, animal samm, eekveek, Mackenie, Kerset, cyrus62, Doctor Drew, Robbnva

With 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to reach a lynch. Day one ends in (expired on 2019-09-16 20:15:00).
i have the most queues
Robbnva
Robbnva
Jack of All Trades
Robbnva
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:24 pm

Post by Robbnva »

Sup
Proudest mafia moment was the greatest unvote in the history of mafiascum.
emps
emps
Mafia Scum
emps
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Post by emps »

how do we have 8/9 confirmations but we also have 2 players who havent even opened their role pms
"I guess gay erotic fanfics are the key to healthy game discussion." -HoldenGolden
"making friends is dangerous emps. always be on guard." -the worst
"Children are sticky." -MaryJoLisa
"What if a guy and a girl meet online, and then face to face, and have children. Are their kids real?" -MaryJoLisa
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:56 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 7, Robbnva wrote:Sup
I don't like that tone.

VOTE: robb
Robbnva
Robbnva
Jack of All Trades
Robbnva
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Post by Robbnva »

In post 8, emps wrote:how do we have 8/9 confirmations but we also have 2 players who havent even opened their role pms
Magic
Proudest mafia moment was the greatest unvote in the history of mafiascum.
cyrus62
cyrus62
Jack of All Trades
cyrus62
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Post by cyrus62 »

i so i anit that late. emps and docs on my radar till i have sorted them VOTE: doc rub is null to me untill i see where the game gos
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:02 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 11, cyrus62 wrote:i so i anit that late. emps and docs on my radar till i have sorted them VOTE: doc rub is null to me untill i see where the game gos
Let the record show I had your scum game figured out in 'i can't remember the name of this game'.

The game has been cancelled btw, we can talk about it.
emps
emps
Mafia Scum
emps
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Post by emps »

its cyrus' first post and im already confused

my cyrusian is rusty...
"I guess gay erotic fanfics are the key to healthy game discussion." -HoldenGolden
"What if a guy and a girl meet online, and then face to face, and have children. Are their kids real?" -MaryJoLisa
cyrus62
cyrus62
Jack of All Trades
cyrus62
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:07 pm

Post by cyrus62 »

In post 12, Doctor Drew wrote:
In post 11, cyrus62 wrote:i so i anit that late. emps and docs on my radar till i have sorted them VOTE: doc rub is null to me untill i see where the game gos
Let the record show I had your scum game figured out in 'i can't remember the name of this game'.

The game has been cancelled btw, we can talk about it.
oh yes good job mate however if scum knew each other i would have done better.
cyrus62
cyrus62
Jack of All Trades
cyrus62
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Post by cyrus62 »

if the game was cancelled you cant use it to say you beat me it was a draw
Mackenie
Mackenie
Goon
Mackenie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Post by Mackenie »

Hello everyone. First ever game for me. Should be fun. I can see getting in on the voting is the way to fit in.

VOTE: doctor drew
Mackenie
Mackenie
Goon
Mackenie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Post by Mackenie »

Also I'll look to get an avatar sorted.
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:34 am

Post by Kerset »

Och dear it seems that SE doesn't like each other.
VOTE: cyrus
Mackenie
Mackenie
Goon
Mackenie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:04 am

Post by Mackenie »

In post 11, cyrus62 wrote:i so i anit that late. emps and docs on my radar till i have sorted them
Because of previous experiences with them?
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:48 am

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 19, Mackenie wrote:
In post 11, cyrus62 wrote:i so i anit that late. emps and docs on my radar till i have sorted them
Because of previous experiences with them?
I think this is how he gets his reads, and he is still bitter about a game of ours lol.
cyrus62
cyrus62
Jack of All Trades
cyrus62
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:45 am

Post by cyrus62 »

game is going very slow i i really am disappointed in emps .
Saint Percy
Saint Percy
Townie
Saint Percy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:52 am

Post by Saint Percy »

Ayo

VOTE: cyrus
cyrus62
cyrus62
Jack of All Trades
cyrus62
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:14 am

Post by cyrus62 »

Mackenie rvs mode we cast random votes yes but why the 2nd vote on doctor percy why the 2nd vote on me . you two are pinging me but thanks.
emps
emps
Mafia Scum
emps
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:20 am

Post by emps »

In post 21, cyrus62 wrote:game is going very slow i i really am disappointed in emps .
oh im so sorry for having real life

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”