Mafia Scum
Marashu
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2150 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:08 am

Post by Marashu »

@S_S I have some thoughts about the setup that I've been making as the game progressed. They're in the mod PT but to summarize:

It's a bit unclear on how to resolve the minigames. Do all get flipped at the end of D2? Or do they happen real time? Or should only the person voted get flipped? My ruling is that they are treated as concurrent but exclusive minigames, so should be fully resolved independently, and if players are removed from play, their alignments should be known.
There was some pre-game confusion about whether votes and D2 in general would give each minigame their own thread. My attempt to clarify this in the rules made it more confusing. I think there is value in including the fact that each player only votes in their own minigame in the setup description - my initial interpretation was that it was three 2:1 and you could only vote within your own minigame, but there is some ambiguity in the way it's written.
This game is a great setup for people who tend to get eliminated or nightkilled early and want to play ELO, or for people who enjoy being in ELO.
I'm wondering if approaching locations like an assassins in the palace game would be useful in trying to get the 3-mafia in one location win condition.

All in all, I think it's a very interesting setup and would be happy to run it again sometime.
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2151 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:15 am

Post by Ydrasse »

this was a really fun game, gg everyone! thank you to my wonderful scumteam you two were amazing. <3

i like this setup quite a bit, i feel like town and scum get to have equal amounts of mechanical decision making wrt the groups and have to play strategically around flips, all that, i think someone smarter than me could say more but needless to say i like how tense it can get as the groups whittle down. thank you for hosting!!!
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2152 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:16 am

Post by catboi »

For the record, I entered day 1 thinking Anastasia was someone and was trying to pocket her, then found out her main was not at all who I thought it was and promptly informed the team while changing my approach.

This really is an interesting setup, despite the outcome of the game I found it incredibly challenging - you more or less ride or die on your teammates' individual merits and the most you're able to do is WIFOM a bit. We really didn't have a plan going into the day and the idea of getting the 1-1-1 split and swapping a heavily suspected townie into the keep was invented on the fly. I really did want to play this as town, because from that perspective you get an interesting puzzle to work though while as scum I felt pretty constrained.

I think something_smart's strongest point against me was that my logic for jumping to the gate really wasn't very good - I got antsy and wanted to move the game forward because I felt like prolonged discussion would make things harder and someone might start towntelling, and ultimately me going to the gate specifically was obviously for strategic purposes.

Team MVP was definitely Ydrasse, though - without us having a plan for the game she simply brute-forced her way into winning the keep where I was practically ready to concede it and play a hard game from the start. I really did find her play here to be very impressive.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2153 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:17 am

Post by catboi »

In post 2150, Marashu wrote:people who enjoy being in ELO.
Do such utterly depraved beings really exist?
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*

Post Post #2154 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:19 am

Post by Ydrasse »

thank you catboi aaaa, i think you and unwnd deserve equal credit though for being able to stave off the pressure even after knowing my flip would come, and being able to interact before then in a way that didn’t make it blindingly obvious that we were all aligned. <333
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #2155 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:20 am

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 2153, catboi wrote:
In post 2150, Marashu wrote:people who enjoy being in ELO.
Do such utterly depraved beings really exist?
I don't know how much I like being at Elo, but this is a nice set up to practice it. And also practice it without 100% of the thinking being on your shoulders. It was nice to be able to see how other people were all approaching Elo
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2156 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:22 am

Post by catboi »

nya nya~ (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ♥
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*

Post Post #2157 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:22 am

Post by Ydrasse »

also, i wanted to say, luke you are a very fun presence in this game and i really hope you stick around on the site to play more. you’re a really good player already and with more experience here i’d love to see what you can pull off!!
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*

Post Post #2158 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:23 am

Post by Ydrasse »

In post 2156, catboi wrote:nya nya~ (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ♥
nyaaaaaa ~
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #2159 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:23 am

Post by Lukewarm »

And Ydrasse, that was a master class in towntelling as scum. You somehow managed to pocket every single member of the town, which is mighty impressive.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2160 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:23 am

Post by catboi »

I think this would be a fun setup in a more fast-paced environment, like a marathon game or face to face
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*

Post Post #2161 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:27 am

Post by Ydrasse »

In post 2159, Lukewarm wrote:And Ydrasse, that was a master class in towntelling as scum. You somehow managed to pocket every single member of the town, which is mighty impressive.
this game was quite literally an anomaly in that my scumgame is riddled with insecurity and unwillingness to do things for fear of being caught so, thank you i am rather proud of this one. :>

i guess the keep sort of necessitates the method of brute forcing for scum where you have to be completely confident and never, ever back down. that is my advice for any scum in the keep if this is ran again.
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #2162 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:32 am

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 2157, Ydrasse wrote:also, i wanted to say, luke you are a very fun presence in this game and i really hope you stick around on the site to play more. you’re a really good player already and with more experience here i’d love to see what you can pull off!!
I think this is my 4th completed game on here?

So far I am not building up a particularly good track record.

2 were losses with me casting a bad vote at ELo (sorry absinthe)
1 was a win because I listened to the confirmed townie instead of sticking to my own top vote (sorry catboi)
1 was a win where I managed to find the correct solution after a
really
long time of being wrong.

Although I have never been night killed, and I have never been voted out, so I am getting lots of practice at Elo so far :dead: :dead:
Ydrasse
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
Ydrasse
She
*twirls hair*
*twirls hair*

Post Post #2163 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:34 am

Post by Ydrasse »

that’s still 50% even if it was a rocky road, it really does take time and experience playing before you feel more confident. and even then experienced players still lose at elo all the time, it’s stressful without fail.

keep it up though, really, i think everyone here had a great time playing with you regardless
☠︎︎
one flesh, one end.
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #2164 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:35 am

Post by Lukewarm »

I am not super sure how the mafiascum award thing works. The scummies?

But I think this could be a contender for amazing scum game from Ydrasse

I think that literally every single town player was convinced she was town.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2165 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 1:38 am

Post by catboi »

Meh, it happens, ELo is really hard and my own track record there as town is pretty poor. For being new you shouldn't feel bad about it at all.
Anastasia
Anastasia
Goon
Anastasia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2166 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 2:26 am

Post by Anastasia »

I think you played very well Lukewarm, I had you very high in my town section.

You can nominate the scum team for a scummy here in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=86107

Congrats again @Ydra/CatB/Unwnd

it was a beautiful victory <3 - I think I'm still stuck somewhere deep in Ydra's pocket.

Which is something because I've literally seen her do this and I still fell into it head first - mea maxima culpa.

Thanks to Marashu for modding, everything was amazing and the setup is a delight to play.

Sorry to my fellow townies for being so stubbornly wrong ayayaya.
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2167 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 3:35 am

Post by unwnd »

They never expected the fake compliments ydra

So glad I won early instead of a grueling final xylo
Stop
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #2168 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 3:39 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 2157, Ydrasse wrote:also, i wanted to say, luke you are a very fun presence in this game and i really hope you stick around on the site to play more. you’re a really good player already and with more experience here i’d love to see what you can pull off!!
+1
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #2169 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 3:40 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 2161, Ydrasse wrote:this game was quite literally an anomaly in that my scumgame is riddled with insecurity and unwillingness to do things for fear of being caught so, thank you i am rather proud of this one. :>
God yes this was the biggest reason I couldn't see you as scum.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2170 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 3:42 am

Post by unwnd »

I just told her to let loose and fake it till she made it

But I never knew how far she'd go

The immediate lock onto keep (going off my own impulses) was great distancing from the start and planned
Stop
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2171 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 4:43 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Regarding these unclear points, I'm not sure that I had a specific answer in mind for some of them. But I like your decisions-- everything is in one thread, but you can only vote for your own game, and resolved games flip immediately and no one from them can post.

I was trying to think about a way to address unwnd's complaint-- that sometimes people in one game have no incentive to care about the other games. I feel like this mostly applies to the Gate, because its unconfirmed members are 50% scum rather than 33%, and people are motivated to leave the Gate till last because of the IC. Even despite these, I think I was wrong in not caring, because if catboi and I both scumread unwnd then everyone can be sure that one townie supports it.

But, maybe that could be mitigated by not removing the IC's thread access after their game ends? Because the main reason to remove thread access is to prevent extra IC's, so if someone is already an IC, I can see this fix making sense.

The game's EV is just a tad over 50%, and I was afraid that it would be townsided in practice because there's an IC and there are no NK's. In some sense I'm glad scum won because it makes me less afraid of that (though, the scumteam did play very strongly). I think maybe making the IC permanent wouldn't swing the needle too far? It's probably worth it, because I don't want "Gate last" to become obviously best.

If anyone ran this setup again, I'd join it in a heartbeat. If nobody does, I might run it myself. I enjoyed it a lot and definitely want to see it tested more. (And thanks for modding Marashu! You're a really good mod!)
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Lukewarm
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Lukewarm
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
Paragon of Mafia Hunters

Post Post #2172 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 4:50 am

Post by Lukewarm »

In post 2171, Something_Smart wrote:But, maybe that could be mitigated by not removing the IC's thread access after their game ends? Because the main reason to remove thread access is to prevent extra IC's, so if someone is already an IC, I can see this fix making sense.
ooo. I really like that idea.

No idea how it would affect balance, but it
feels
like it would be nice
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2173 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 7:09 am

Post by Something_Smart »

I've updated the wiki page to clarify the things that weren't specified and also add the rule about the IC always being able to post. Not sure if I'll keep that, but I'd like to see how it plays out.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2174 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Post by catboi »

Oh, I should say: you all were wonderful to play with, thanks for making the game enjoyable~

:3

Return to “Completed Open Games”