RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4075 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:51 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 4074, Tejate Raichu wrote:
In post 4073, GuiltyLion wrote:I kinda like the suggestion in the dead/spec thread about running this setup where scum have one night RB abilities. I think the biggest problem with this setup is it's not too much of a drawback to claim early if the docs claim or if we have multiple cops on a single night, both of which happened at points this game. the mech speculation was interesting and a major part of the game at times, which made the game a fun/unique experience, but IMO it feels like it would make things a bit more even if there were a little more disincentive for town to claim, and claiming to be RB'd could help give scum an avenue where they aren't forced to clear or protect certain players.
Still skimming over dead PT, I saw this suggestion agree with this somewhat. Could be a neat change. I'm kinda reeling a bit at how many people are spectating this game. I can't believe so many people had to see my awful end of D1 play.
I missed most of it (partially because I was being a bad spectator and not paying that much attention).
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
Shirou
Shirou
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Shirou
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4076 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:53 pm

Post by Shirou »

I think this setup is anywhere between very balanced and very unbalanced based on randomization.

I don't mean randomization as only what roles/nights are randed though, I mean randomization as in "are the cops also the most beneficial players to nightkill considering dayplay?"

I enjoy swingy setups but I feel like scum should have...some kind of counterplay to do here rather than solely rely on randomization not being atrocious for them...
いつだってヒーロー。

"listen i know its funny to say shirou is scum but shirou is just literally crazy"
~Firebringer on town!Shirou
"Not if it was Volpe's PLAN all along that we lim him and when he flips red we think Wooper is scum"
~town!Norwee jokes about scum!Shirou's actual plan
(Aka Volpe14)
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4077 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:55 pm

Post by RH9 »

Personally, I think that scum should get Night-Specific JKs so that they don't RB the NK target.

v/la every weekend

Shirou
Shirou
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Shirou
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4078 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:56 pm

Post by Shirou »

A rather good point for scum!Ceph in my head by the end was the Amazonian NK. I think this game is a rare case where NK speculation was useful.

Wanted to point this out because I think in the final day or close to it, looking on the nightkills collectively on hindsight can actually tell us one thing or two, and not many people do that nowadays (or accept that as valid arguments).

It's easy to do one single WIFOM nightkill, but it's hard for scum to always do WIFOM NKs without cornering themselves.
いつだってヒーロー。

"listen i know its funny to say shirou is scum but shirou is just literally crazy"
"Not if it was Volpe's PLAN all along that we lim him and when he flips red we think Wooper is scum"
(Aka Volpe14)
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4079 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:58 pm

Post by Cephrir »

Meh, ok, I'm just glad it's over
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4080 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:59 pm

Post by Cephrir »

I felt that a gambit was the only way we were ever winning this game. I stand by that.
Bartleby the Scrivener
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4081 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:04 pm

Post by Cephrir »

Also, the setup feels just sort of brutal as scum... you have to watch yourself get slowly boxed into a corner and all you can do is cry about it

Redtea not doing anything was an almost insurmountable obstacle
Bartleby the Scrivener
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4082 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:09 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 4055, GuiltyLion wrote:I think this was a tough playlist to roll scum against and I'm also surprised the current scum winrate is what it is, feels like kind of a nightmare for scum mechanically with all the cop shots flying around.
Was my anticipation pregame it was going to be tough for scum, I think they did better than expected for quite a while but by the end there wasn't much of a path to victory available. Not sure what led to the current win rate, my impression is it's quite a tough setup for scum, based on this game and one I played offsite. I think there have been some creative/gutsy scumteams in the past, and also probably some suboptimal play, but I think it's aso heavily luck dependent. This game, there were certain factors lik town players claiming early and being townread for it that mae the game very tough for scum. It was also a bit lucky in that there were doctors for nights 1, 2, and 3 who were able to protect fua - at least I think it's lucky, I cn't work out the exact math for the probability of that.
Tejate Raichu
Tejate Raichu
Goon
Tejate Raichu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4083 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:16 pm

Post by Tejate Raichu »

Well, thank you for the game regardless of weird mech stuff catboi. Feel free to send an invite my way if you want to host something again soon.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4084 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:24 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 4083, Tejate Raichu wrote:Well, thank you for the game regardless of weird mech stuff catboi. Feel free to send an invite my way if you want to host something again soon.
Thanks for playing!

And thanks to everyone else as well!

I do want to try my hand at theme game modding at some point but my next game is probably going to be mountainous.
Tejate Raichu
Tejate Raichu
Goon
Tejate Raichu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4085 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:26 pm

Post by Tejate Raichu »

Good ol vanilla mafia or will there be some non-standard gimmick outside of the lack of PRs? I heard talk of a dance game a lot in this thread.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4086 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:36 pm

Post by catboi »

Just mountainous straight up, 9:2. The dance games are more of a seasonal thing, still too soon since the last one
Tejate Raichu
Tejate Raichu
Goon
Tejate Raichu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4087 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:40 pm

Post by Tejate Raichu »

Well, I might be interested. It'd be a good way to brush up on my reads, if nothing else.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #4088 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:45 pm

Post by Prism »

In post 4086, catboi wrote:Just mountainous straight up, 9:2. The dance games are more of a seasonal thing, still too soon since the last one
You can't do this to me while I'm on hiatus. This is illegal.
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4089 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:47 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 4086, catboi wrote:Just mountainous straight up, 9:2. The dance games are more of a seasonal thing, still too soon since the last one
Isn't the EV of 9:2 Mountainous, 35.2% for Town and 64.8% for scum?

v/la every weekend

numberQ
numberQ
he/him
Mafia Scum
numberQ
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4090 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:48 pm

Post by numberQ »

WHEW

That was rough. The D2 cop claim gambit was because we felt we needed something bold to overcome the doc protect N1. I think it took us pretty far, though yeah, it did end up making it so my death made sense from a purely mechanical perspective. Which is... really not a great feeling as scum.

gg town, and thanks for modding catboi!
Hey!
numberQ
numberQ
he/him
Mafia Scum
numberQ
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4091 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:50 pm

Post by numberQ »

Also, hope this isn't a faux pas, but I thought this was an excellent playerlist so I want to shamelessly plug a game I have in the open queue right now. It's a setup of my own devising, and there's less than a week left before it gets kicked. No pressure but if you think the setup looks interesting, feel free to sign up!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=86437&p=13234907#p13234907
Hey!
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4092 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:52 pm

Post by RH9 »

In post 4091, numberQ wrote:Also, hope this isn't a faux pas, but I thought this was an excellent playerlist so I want to shamelessly plug a game I have in the open queue right now. It's a setup of my own devising, and there's less than a week left before it gets kicked. No pressure but if you think the setup looks interesting, feel free to sign up!

Don't worry! That's what catboi did in the postgame of Newbie 2079.

v/la every weekend

Tejate Raichu
Tejate Raichu
Goon
Tejate Raichu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4093 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:53 pm

Post by Tejate Raichu »

In post 4089, RH9 wrote:
I believe it, but that's kind of the fun part about mountainous right? You don't have any mech to really fall back on. The odds are not in your favor if you're bad at reading people.

Also nQ, if it makes you feel any better if your death didn't make so much sense from a mechanical standpoint I would have just hard pushed to turbolim Shirou then and there. Also, sure, I'm game if it doesn't fill by the time I'm done typing.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4094 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:54 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 4091, numberQ wrote:Also, hope this isn't a faux pas, but I thought this was an excellent playerlist so I want to shamelessly plug a game I have in the open queue right now. It's a setup of my own devising, and there's less than a week left before it gets kicked. No pressure but if you think the setup looks interesting, feel free to sign up!

I encourage shameless advertisig especially since I had to fight to get this one to fill. Unfortunately I'm taking a break from signing up for new games for a while or I'd return the favor.
numberQ
numberQ
he/him
Mafia Scum
numberQ
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4095 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:57 pm

Post by numberQ »

In post 4093, Tejate Raichu wrote:
In post 4089, RH9 wrote:
I believe it, but that's kind of the fun part about mountainous right? You don't have any mech to really fall back on. The odds are not in your favor if you're bad at reading people.

Also nQ, if it makes you feel any better if your death didn't make so much sense from a mechanical standpoint I would have just hard pushed to turbolim Shirou then and there. Also, sure, I'm game if it doesn't fill by the time I'm done typing.
Shirou dying D5 was probably our last hope, so it does make me feel slightly better lol
Hey!
numberQ
numberQ
he/him
Mafia Scum
numberQ
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4096 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:02 pm

Post by numberQ »

In post 4094, catboi wrote:

I encourage shameless advertisig especially since I had to fight to get this one to fill. Unfortunately I'm taking a break from signing up for new games for a while or I'd return the favor.
No worries! I'm probably taking a break from playing as well for a bit. I can only handle so much mafia in a row.
Hey!
Shirou
Shirou
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Shirou
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4097 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:04 pm

Post by Shirou »

In post 4095, numberQ wrote:Shirou dying D5 was probably our last hope, so it does make me feel slightly better lol
me not dying was due to the mech but can we laugh at the fact that not only every townie wanted me to die, but I also personally truly wanted to die for 3 in-game days (and therefore IRL weeks), and brought that up multiple times trying to find a way where it was optimal for us to start some kind of plan by eliminating me, but survived until endgame?

I couldn't stop paying attention/caring about this game, but at the same time it was distracting me a bit too much from some other stuff I need to focus on right now. I didn't want to replace out because I used to replace out a lot in the past and therefore vowed to stop that behavior whenever possible (and it was possible really, I just wanted the commitment to be done asap, either by winning the game by turboeliminating, or by getting eliminated myself).
いつだってヒーロー。

(Aka Volpe14)
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4098 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:05 pm

Post by MegAzumarill »

In post 4094, catboi wrote:

Well if you encourage it....

Here's the link to the mini theme queue where my Fusion Upick is up. It has 2 slots left and is similar to this setup as it's confirmed role madness. I understand if people are burned out on role madness though after this.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=87722
Imprefection is the spice of life.
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #4099 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:10 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

Can’t believe y’all would torment my friend Shirou like this.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno

Return to “Completed Open Games”