Open 630 (Pick Your Power X/Y): Rap Battle Mafia (GAME END)

Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #1675 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:52 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

MOD ERROR

Spoiler: Here is a copy of what I sent the scumteam
"Let me explain my thought process about not allowing scum to coordinate during the draft process.
Before I go into my reasons, I first want to say that if there is indeed a precedent for that, then I am deeply sorry, as both Jal and Aristodesis picked the same number, meaning that scum did indeed get a slight disadvantage from not being able to coordinate their draft picks.
So yes, I did muck it up if there is a rule saying that needs to happen.

As it stands, I was not informed of any such rule. And I believe that whether or not the moderator should implement this precedent should be left to the discretion of the moderator and here's why.

If there were a rule that said that scum should coordinate their draft picks, then there would be a strategy that involved it being probably that scum would likely not pick the same number. As a result, if a situation in which two people that picked the same number in the draft were being considered for partners, there would be evidence against that.

Note that, again, if such precedent exists, the town does not know that I did not implement such precedent here.

Again, I am sorry that I failed to confirm whether or not the scum was able to coordinate the draft process with a more experienced mod and I hope this does not affect your enjoyment of the game."

Spoiler: Here is a copy of what I sent the listmod
"I believe there is a minor issue with the game that I am currently modding and I want to defer judgment to you to determine whether it is game breaking.

I neglected to give pregame chat to the mafia (it was not specified on the wiki) which means two of the members of the scumteam picked the same number. This was a contributing factor to the fact that all of the scumteam ended up being goons.

I believed that this would balance out because I had been informed that in previous iterations of the setup, members of the scumteam have been known to pick the same number to wifom the town into thinking that all the scum would have picked unique numbers, meaning that the reduced power of the scum would balance out with the town's wrong idea of how I ran the setup.

Now that one of the two has flipped, the town believes that the second member that picked the same number is more town because of it.

What should I do with this issue?"

Spoiler: Here is a copy of LlamaFluff's response
"Its a minor mod error. If it was noticed immediately, you could have rerolled and given scum pre-game talk, but any conclusions built off of who picked what number is WIFOM. I would continue as is at this point since admitting to not giving scum pre-game talk will only cause town to inject more WIFOM into why you are making the announcement and could change the outcome of the game."

This probably could have been avoided if I had contacted the listmod immediately, so I will also take the blame for that.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #1676 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:56 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

Personal thoughts

This game really could have gone either way, in my opinion, and that's including the error.
Ranger tried very hard and that is very commendable.
Town could have coordinated lynches/actions better and this would have likely been a townstomp because they did a fine job scumhunting.
Props to Aneninen and G[o]dz for having fun with the flavor even in PMs to me. That's pretty cool.
Favorite rhyme of the game was verisimilitude with familiar, dude. C'mon, let me be proud of that.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1677 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:16 pm

Post by borkjerfkin »

GG guys.

good town play overall by really everyone, don't want to make specific shoutouts on the town side cause it was a group effort and literally everyone played really well. Although: Kirroha I know you have a thread out there about how you want to improve as a player but you were fucking boss this game and I would've eaten a lynch to save your slot; that's how sure I were you were town.

shoutout to Ranger in specific for buckling down and trying to pull it out; i definitely didn't have you on my radar when i died.

re: setup. This setup is really gameable and i think that's part of what makes it unique. I don't really care on which side the mod falls on if pregame talk should exist, but I think that:
1) In the rules: 100% the mod needs to be utterly transparent about whether or not the scumteam gets pregame draft talk regardless of what the decision was -- the details on how the setup is run should be publicly accessible in an open.
2) You were 100% correct to not bring it up unprompted after you realize an issue existed. That would have drastically affected the game, which is something to be avoided.
beefycheese
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile

Post Post #1678 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:20 pm

Post by borkjerfkin »

goddamn i was so close to picking jailkeeper. man that'd have ruled.
beefycheese
Syndesis
Syndesis
Goon
Syndesis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1679 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:46 pm

Post by Syndesis »

This was seriously the worst game I've ever played; I hate being mafia but that's really no excuse. Sorry for sucking, beeboy and Ranger (who fought valiantly to the last) ;___;

I'll go cry now ;____;
and yet the flower blooming / both winter and death defies
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #1680 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 1679, Syndesis wrote:This was seriously the worst game I've ever played; I hate being mafia but that's really no excuse. Sorry for sucking, beeboy and Ranger (who fought valiantly to the last) ;___;

I'll go cry now ;____;
I take most of the blame here, for being absent.
I'm a bad hydra partner.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
beeboy
beeboy
Survivor
beeboy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1681 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Post by beeboy »

In post 1680, Aristophanes wrote:
In post 1679, Syndesis wrote:This was seriously the worst game I've ever played; I hate being mafia but that's really no excuse. Sorry for sucking, beeboy and Ranger (who fought valiantly to the last) ;___;

I'll go cry now ;____;
I take most of the blame here, for being absent.
I'm a bad hydra partner.

#blameari2k15 :^0
ah yes, beeboy style reads;
if this person flips town, then i'll townread them. - Nahdia
Syndesis
Syndesis
Goon
Syndesis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1682 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:24 pm

Post by Syndesis »

In post 1681, beeboy wrote:#blameari2k16 :^0

ftfy ^__^

no but please don't blame ari! ;n;
Syndesis
Syndesis
Goon
Syndesis
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1683 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:01 pm

Post by Syndesis »

I'm reading the scum PT and crying ;___;

/belated hugs for Ranger
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1684 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:15 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Ranger did horrible with the night kills.
She decided to leave me alive all game, that is funny.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Ranger
Ranger
She/Her
{Top Tier}
Ranger
She/Her
{Top Tier}
{Top Tier}
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1685 (ISO) » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:08 pm

Post by Ranger »

bork wrote:shoutout to Ranger in specific for buckling down and trying to pull it out; i definitely didn't have you on my radar when i died.
That was the general idea behind killing you then, so that you'd
stay
that way. :P

No kidding. It'd have told me that role wasn't in the game. (You were dead N1 no matter what unless you as a JK lucked out and blocked beeboy.) Know how much I was worrying about it?!? I was terrified. (I actually was afraid Firebringer was a tracker.)

Syndesis wrote:I'll go cry now ;____;
If you think
you
want to cry, just think about
me

This was probably my best scum game yet, and I
still
couldn't pull out the win. I couldn't even get to lylo. :(

Firebringer wrote:Ranger did horrible with the night kills.
Two of them I didn't have any choice on: Persivul was confirmed town. Aneninen was confirmed town. Red Magic needed to die because they were shutting down literally every mislynch I needed (most importantly, Maxous) and they had a decent chance of being a PR compared to others in the list. The only kill which was not 100% an objectively good kill was the Godz kill, and even there, we were all goons, who had all chosen the same two roles; Golden Robster had claimed a PR and many town players had noted that his play seemed different from his VT play. Knowing he couldn't be scum and trusting those people to be right (they weren't), I killed his replacement in order to make sure I could safely kill lilith.

Actually...about that.

The only reason you lived is because of the above: in particular, the need to eliminate Persivul/Aneninen first, and the threat of Godz potentially being a PR. I very much did not want to have you alive and kicking, because I figured you were voting me no matter what.
AKA, rBree2. Casual tryhard. I've Quite the RANGE. #pluralgang
"Interestingly though, town winrate in Blitzes has been really high."
- RadiantCowbells |
"Ranger's been town in most of them."
- Plotinus
"Ranger fake claiming? I'm shocked"
- usesPython
Game History
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1686 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:41 am

Post by Persivul »

Good job guys. Although the D2 wagons IMO told the story, I'm sure it was still tough to get past the duplicate number factor.
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1687 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:42 am

Post by Persivul »

@ Errant: the wiki says:
Throughout the bidding phases, the thread is locked, however, mafia may collude privately during this time and then again throughout the day.
kirroha
kirroha
Mafia Scum
kirroha
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1688 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:50 am

Post by kirroha »

I'm being so lazy these days lol.

Good job everyone! Especially kaintepes. I liked that beeboy nab. You're improving!
with a chainsaw.
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1689 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:51 am

Post by pisskop »

In post 1685, Ranger wrote:
bork wrote:shoutout to Ranger in specific for buckling down and trying to pull it out; i definitely didn't have you on my radar when i died.
That was the general idea behind killing you then, so that you'd
stay
that way. :P

No kidding. It'd have told me that role wasn't in the game. (You were dead N1 no matter what unless you as a JK lucked out and blocked beeboy.) Know how much I was worrying about it?!? I was terrified. (I actually was afraid Firebringer was a tracker.)

Syndesis wrote:I'll go cry now ;____;
If you think
you
want to cry, just think about
me

This was probably my best scum game yet, and I
still
couldn't pull out the win. I couldn't even get to lylo. :(

Firebringer wrote:Ranger did horrible with the night kills.
Two of them I didn't have any choice on: Persivul was confirmed town. Aneninen was confirmed town. Red Magic needed to die because they were shutting down literally every mislynch I needed (most importantly, Maxous) and they had a decent chance of being a PR compared to others in the list. The only kill which was not 100% an objectively good kill was the Godz kill, and even there, we were all goons, who had all chosen the same two roles; Golden Robster had claimed a PR and many town players had noted that his play seemed different from his VT play. Knowing he couldn't be scum and trusting those people to be right (they weren't), I killed his replacement in order to make sure I could safely kill lilith.

Actually...about that.

The only reason you lived is because of the above: in particular, the need to eliminate Persivul/Aneninen first, and the threat of Godz potentially being a PR. I very much did not want to have you alive and kicking, because I figured you were voting me no matter what.

ranger, you gotta be more active as scum.
at least selectively so.

you hadnt been a presencd, so your opinion held minimal sway.
if you knew fire suspected you you shoukd have killed him. prs are awful, but guarentted votes are worse.
doing more to paint me as scum would have upset me, but would have also, if done well, have made me less trustworthy.
same with kirroha

Finally, youre so awsome as town it can be hard to emulate that as scum :o now you know why veterans of mafia dont share notes and such; to hide themselves.

you played good, but the cards were stacked against you. :/

we cant win them all. but as scum your goal isnt to be/act like town. its to lynch town and end the game. avoiding NAs and being townread helps, but acting like a scumlord in specific contexts is desirable.

try pointing out more subpar play as town and pushing that as scum as scum.

in a brief nutshell^^
beeboy - Everyone thought this game was made to troll pie but it was really made to troll pisskop.
Almost50 pisskop: Overall, that's a townie slot. Don't ask for specifics because with PK everything can be interpreted either way. It's probably WHEN he says/does things that matter, so it's more of a matter of conception rather than solid reasoning.
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1690 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:08 am

Post by pisskop »

also, its important to know how aware and cognicent town is.

Town is smarter than we give them credit for (after all, 75% of the time we are town), but sone townies have strengths others lack. being aware of how people town/scumhunt and will [re]act is important. killing social leaders disorients town and killing confirmed townies only helps if it strengthens your position.

for instance, as awsome as anen is he wasnt going to confirm another player.
lilith, otoh, even if distrusted (and sry lil I was an ass, will be confing players. you should have murdered her fave off to stop the flow. too dangerous.

Always remember that although town isnt dumb, they dont see what you see. they wont catch 80% of 'slips'. experience is the best teacher for what can and cant be said
beeboy - Everyone thought this game was made to troll pie but it was really made to troll pisskop.
Almost50 pisskop: Overall, that's a townie slot. Don't ask for specifics because with PK everything can be interpreted either way. It's probably WHEN he says/does things that matter, so it's more of a matter of conception rather than solid reasoning.
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1691 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:33 am

Post by lilith2013 »

Lol no worries. I completely deserved it, this was one of my worst games yet.
Aneninen
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Aneninen
He
Very Important Pigeon
Very Important Pigeon
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1692 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:47 am

Post by Aneninen »

Quickthought, mobile.
I don't think that mod error meant much difference.
It COULD HAVE, but in this case (1) we assumed different drafts, which made Ranger look more town and (2) we picked a poor PR set and we made very little out of our PRs.

More will come later.
Ranger
Ranger
She/Her
{Top Tier}
Ranger
She/Her
{Top Tier}
{Top Tier}

Post Post #1693 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:10 pm

Post by Ranger »

pisskop wrote:ranger, you gotta be more active as scum.
at least selectively so.
pisskop, if this was your reasoning, you can burn in hell.

My activity is 100% consistent across all games: once or twice a day, I will post until caught up. I then leave. This never changes. It has been constant, consistent, and never-changing. Any day without me posting in this game is a day I also did not post in
any
game. Any day I posted in this game is a day I also posted the exact same amount in another game. Activity cannot, and will never be able to, be used to read me. I am always active at the same times. Every day, I come in at what's usually night, post, then go to bed typically. I wake up, maybe post, and then the cycle repeats. Use whatever activity tell you think is valid from this game on another game and I guarantee you I flip town there. I can't control when I have access. I can only control what I do in the times I have access.

If
that's
what you mean, then sure, I apologize for the rant above, but explaining this
literally every game
, town, scum, whatever, gets really old, really fast and yes I have been lynched for it as town and flipped town because of it.

now you know why veterans of mafia dont share notes and such; to hide themselves.
Why the hell do you think I prefer being a minimalist in the first place? :P :P :P

I know this! I use this!

you played good, but the cards were stacked against you. :/
<3 <3 <3
- RadiantCowbells |
- Plotinus
- usesPython
Game History
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1694 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:11 pm

Post by pisskop »

Okay.

You go do that thing where you take generic advice and spit on it and Ill do that thing where I continue to be a stellar scum player; but now ignores you.
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1695 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:11 pm

Post by pisskop »

In post 1693, Ranger wrote:pisskop, if this was your reasoning, you can burn in hell.

:(
pisskop
pisskop
Survivor
pisskop
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1696 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:14 pm

Post by pisskop »

I still think youd benefit from attacking more as scum, and to balance that out youd have to point out more lackluster play.
Ranger
Ranger
She/Her
{Top Tier}
Ranger
She/Her
{Top Tier}
{Top Tier}

Post Post #1697 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:44 pm

Post by Ranger »

You go do that thing where you take generic advice and spit on it
Wasn't attacking the advice.

Just VERY angry at the suggestion that my activity, which never ever changes, could be seen as alignment-indicative when it's not.

With the tip about not sharing notes being my default play and me joking about it.

The rest of your advice was actually valid and I'm taking note of it. <3
- RadiantCowbells |
- Plotinus
- usesPython
Game History
kirroha
kirroha
Mafia Scum
kirroha
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1698 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:05 pm

Post by kirroha »

In post 1673, pisskop wrote:kirroh~

-.-

wat issit
with a chainsaw.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1699 (ISO) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:25 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Pisskop, where are my notes on how to improve.
Now i am jelly.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown

Return to “Completed Open Games”