Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2025 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:16 pm

Post by davesaz »

I keep modding this and then remembering that I wanted to play it.
Guess I should resist the temptation next time in hopes someone else will run it first. :lol:
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2026 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:17 pm

Post by Iconeum »

In post 2025, davesaz wrote:I keep modding this and then remembering that I wanted to play it.
Guess I should resist the temptation next time in hopes someone else will run it first. :lol:
everyone just plays this for the draft part, which is like 95% of the fun to be had in the game anyway :lol:
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
#Town!Ico.never.does.that.
"paying to play mafia is like paying someone to punch you in the face" ~ Datisi
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2027 (ISO) » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:23 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 342, Hoopla wrote:i actually want to know.
ooh i never circled back to this!

number theory is a whole thing, yes. i also actually don't feel like tanking the draft process is actually necessarily a massive loss for scum? there's novelty in 'winning the draft' for sure, but i think messing around with pypx/y zeitgeist adds more value than top picks at shitty power roles.

i feel like the earlier times i played this setup, i was instinctively drawn to suspect players in the upper tier of the draft because i wanted to kill scum power roles - on the flipside, there are /town/ power roles (e.g. cop/unibackup tbh) who have a tendency to bottleneck in the top of the draft anyway. it feels like more fun to shoot at high ~~town power role equity~~ players without exposing highly-placing scum. so much more fun if those highly-placing scumspects are also town!

it's also not like, super difficult to outplay the draft to some extent. if you accept that you need to work around a cop (fine) and that you're not going to get the rolecop (i'd argue it's nearly useless), you can have a lot of fun scheming around less-popular role picks. i actually think scum probably had ... a right idea with their picks. it's just that their picks rely on powerdriving a n3 win, and their actual collective dayplay skill set was like... not compatible with this.

honestly not sure if messing around with tanking the draft actually wins the game in practice, but in the spur of the moment i would 100% be down to drown my teammates with the theory of it and see if they're down to have a good time with me. :P

pedit: i'd be down to run this sometime soon if u wanna play it, dave
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
word321
word321
Mafia Scum
word321
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2028 (ISO) » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:56 am

Post by word321 »

Oh, GG everyone! Sry for dropping from this; I was busy IRL
I dnt think it affected the development either way
Ya know, when Gypyx flipped red I actually felt somewhat bad for not noticing, and pushing for doc, but it seems I was right all along
Played in
Newbie 1992
Newbie 1997
Newbie 1999
Large Normal 227
Newbie 2006
Open 784
Open 787
Newbie 2019
, Open 790, Newbie 2022.
Currently playing in Open 794, Newbie2028.
Currently UTC-3.
word321
word321
Mafia Scum
word321
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2029 (ISO) » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:57 am

Post by word321 »

In post 2014, DrDolittle wrote:i thought the no kill was pretty good play, but it was foiled by dats checking word sigh
Im too scum for this to work HAHA
Played in
Newbie 1992
Newbie 1997
Newbie 1999
Large Normal 227
Newbie 2006
Open 784
Open 787
Newbie 2019
, Open 790, Newbie 2022.
Currently playing in Open 794, Newbie2028.
Currently UTC-3.
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2030 (ISO) » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:45 pm

Post by Iconeum »

scum pt

plz
Rawr!
#stopmodabuse
#Town!Ico.never.does.that.
"paying to play mafia is like paying someone to punch you in the face" ~ Datisi
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2031 (ISO) » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:36 am

Post by davesaz »

Should be visible now.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2032 (ISO) » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:48 am

Post by the worst »

I can't believe it's still d4
--
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2033 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:23 am

Post by the worst »

The game I was modding is over, so I'll likely queue this shortly. Dave, I'll operate on the assumption you'd like a pre in & pm you to confirm.

After talking to SS a fair bit about the last few runnings of this game, a devious plan is starting to form. This isn't a setup I would call townsided carte blanche. But it's a setup which rewards good play and good mechanical choices, and guess what? More people are getting better at town.

To boot, the sheer level of information available to town creates a huge potential for townsiding swing, depending on (to be brutal) the degree of skill of the scum players. There also isn't a whole lot of scope for manipulation which is, though common for an open setup, sad to see in such a spicy setup. (The greatest example of this I can think of is TheWizard's running of the other PYPX/Y setup; a couple of years ago, a scum 1s watcher claimed gunsmith and in the right era that could have swung endgame. Now we just wait until everyone is cleared and policy it :P)

So based on an evil idea SS had, and with a bit of a PYP-esque tweak which I couldn't resist, I would like to propose we run exactly the same setup, but including a scum pregame factional choice.

During the number draft phase (before order is revealed), EITHER:
  • After the draft is finalised, the mafia will be informed of ONE set of roles which have not been selected during the draft. OR
  • All members of the mafia will become multitasking.
The factional ability chosen will be confirmed publicly after the number draft, but before the role draft is finalised. Failing to select either would default to multitasking (to be blunt, I think a scumteam without a strong opinion on this is gonna need all the antiswing they can get).
--
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2034 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:02 am

Post by davesaz »

Couple minor tweaks needed to make it deterministic, otherwise the change sounds good to me:
If every role set has been selected, mafia will be told no roles went unselected.
If more than one role set has not been selected, the unselected role set the mafia is informed about is randomized.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2035 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:03 am

Post by davesaz »

What do you think about the tweak I ran with, where players have the option of selecting a specific role to save time in phase 2? Should that be formalized in the wiki page?
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2036 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:04 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 2034, davesaz wrote:Couple minor tweaks needed to make it deterministic, otherwise the change sounds good to me:
If every role set has been selected, mafia will be told no roles went unselected.
If more than one role set has not been selected, the unselected role set the mafia is informed about is randomized.
Yeah, definitely agreed on both fronts - that was in line with what I was *thinking* but indeed, good call formalising it up-front. I'll add that in to my /in to mod post. :p
In post 2035, davesaz wrote:What do you think about the tweak I ran with, where players have the option of selecting a specific role to save time in phase 2? Should that be formalized in the wiki page?
This should definitely be standard imo - the outcome of the draft only makes such a tiny difference to such a small number of players, the time saved is 100% worth it.
--
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2037 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:15 pm

Post by Menalque »

In post 2033, the worst wrote:All members of the mafia will become multitasking.
I think this would go a long way towards helping scum in this setup
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2038 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:27 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

That seems perfectly fine dave, it really isn't a tweak so much as a time-saver.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2039 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:15 pm

Post by petapan »

multitasking wasn't really standard in the Way Back When of when this setup was first made (it feels weird to talk about it that way), where now it seems to be pretty the default, change probably good
free crypto
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2040 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:25 pm

Post by the worst »

hmm multitasking definitely isn't the standard, standardising it probably ruins a lot of opens from the good ol' days
i think this is more of a rare occasion where i endorse it, rather than a meta level change tbh
--
Menalque
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Menalque
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2041 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:00 pm

Post by Menalque »

I feel like multitasking makes sense in setups like this that are so PR heavy that you can get a lot of clearing done just by who actually was able to perform an action in line with the role they claimed
"we knew everything... And we knew nothing."
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2042 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:02 pm

Post by the worst »

yeah, exactly - it's very much an intent thing tho.
was it explicitly intentional in this setup? hard to say because it's modified over the years and the current iteration is published anonymously. i kinda doubt they thought about multitasking when they designed it tbh.
--
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #2043 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:18 pm

Post by Hoopla »

In post 2042, the worst wrote:yeah, exactly - it's very much an intent thing tho.
was it explicitly intentional in this setup? hard to say because it's modified over the years and the current iteration is published anonymously. i kinda doubt they thought about multitasking when they designed it tbh.
i designed the original PYP X/Y setup, and don't recall whether or not multitasking was standard. quite likely it wasn't. the design ethos at the time for opens/normals tended to favour mafia performing single actions - i believe one of the theories being that interactions with trackers/watchers/RB's etc were more elegant when each player can only go one place, or perhaps that interesting situations arise when scum have to forgo a PR use to make a kill... but don't quote me on that. it could well have just been a holdover from the oldschool flavour argument of "people can't be two places at once!"

i'm sure PYP mods have probably used a mixed approach over time re: multitasking, but i think overall this setup would benefit from the change. it helps minimise some edge case scenarios where scum fall behind early and simply can't catch up without confirming a bunch of townies along the way. probably a wise adjustment given where town winrates are at these days.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2044 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Post by the worst »

Awesome, that makes a bunch of sense. :) Thanks for chiming in.

2042 sounded unintentionally snarky, sorry - more so (to steal your language a bit) i think open design ethos was a lot more consistent when it was designed. Again stealing from your point, it feels like it makes sense to revisit points like multitasking periodically to reduce 'townsiding swing' or 'scumsiding swing' depending on winrates and stuff. but the whole "what should we account for in 40 runs' time?" spectrum of considerations is really not practical to design a setup around
--
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #2045 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:36 pm

Post by Hoopla »

In post 2033, the worst wrote:To boot, the sheer level of information available to town creates a huge potential for townsiding swing, depending on (to be brutal) the degree of skill of the scum players. There also isn't a whole lot of scope for manipulation which is, though common for an open setup, sad to see in such a spicy setup. (The greatest example of this I can think of is TheWizard's running of the other PYPX/Y setup; a couple of years ago, a scum 1s watcher claimed gunsmith and in the right era that could have swung endgame. Now we just wait until everyone is cleared and policy it )
after all this time, it may be taboo to change the role pairings of such an established setup, but i think it's become obvious that fruit vendor and possibly 1-shot PGO are wasted slots. you could throw something fresh in there to make those pregame choices more of a dilemma,
and
also as a way to introduce more scum manipulation into the fray.

even without throwing in new roles to those slots, something like a Godfather 1-Shot PGO and a Miller Neighbouriser would be a cheeky way to balance those two role pairings, while also nerfing the cop somewhat.
In post 2044, the worst wrote:2042 sounded unintentionally snarky, sorry
i didn't detect snark;)
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2046 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:45 pm

Post by the worst »

that's a really cool idea as well, actually.

some other ideas that occurred to us were like, exactly that, tweaking the roles around a little so that they're more consistent with how their power is viewed today; we also thought of the idea of putting the roles into seven random brackets but on reflection i don't really know if i'd ever prefer to play that over just a normal pypx/y setup.
--
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #2047 (ISO) » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:03 pm

Post by Isis »

"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “Completed Open Games”