MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2250 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:00 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 2249, callforjudgement wrote:
In post 2235, MathBlade wrote:Mainly because I "knew" scum were trying to mislynch me and I think I was in a hurry that day for work or something.
I wonder if "I have a confirmable role" would work. It doesn't hard-clear you, and it doesn't really game-solve, but it makes players reluctant to lynch you without at least asking what it is. And as an Innocent Child, gambits you try are very unlikely to backfire.
Probably would have but like I said in a rush.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2251 (ISO) » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Post by bji »

@Math: reading the dead thread, I finally got what this supposed insult was about. It was about when I referred to you as he/she/it. My apologies, that was not meant to be insulting, it was just meant to me awkwardly not knowing how to address a 'they'. I still don't know how to do it, because using 'they' for a singular person just wrecks the grammar part of my brain. No offense was intended. I eventually decided to just stop using pronouns for you, which is what I will do in future. Sorry again.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2252 (ISO) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:58 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 2230, karnos wrote:I still can't believe that town saru and town nero let Thor escape with a no lynch. Come on! Even if you think he is town, he is obvious lynchbait the rest of the game, you don't just give scum a free night kill, you go ahead and reluctantly vote and hammer! Blah.
The idea of lynching a potentially town tracker b/c he would be lynchbait is a horrible idea.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #2253 (ISO) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:03 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

IMO Tracker's not powerful enough to refuse to lynch a player if the alternative's a no-lynch and you're on odds. A "free lynch" (which a lynch is, compared to a no lynch, while on odds) is worth more than a Cop shot is (less than two, but not by much). A Tracker shot or two is almost worthless in comparison (except with one scum left, when it's more powerful but still not worth it).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #2254 (ISO) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:04 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 2251, bji wrote:@Math: reading the dead thread, I finally got what this supposed insult was about. It was about when I referred to you as he/she/it. My apologies, that was not meant to be insulting, it was just meant to me awkwardly not knowing how to address a 'they'. I still don't know how to do it, because using 'they' for a singular person just wrecks the grammar part of my brain. No offense was intended. I eventually decided to just stop using pronouns for you, which is what I will do in future. Sorry again.
No worries. It is more the intent.

It is only people who don't try after I ask a lot that get on my nerves.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2255 (ISO) » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:49 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 2252, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 2230, karnos wrote:I still can't believe that town saru and town nero let Thor escape with a no lynch. Come on! Even if you think he is town, he is obvious lynchbait the rest of the game, you don't just give scum a free night kill, you go ahead and reluctantly vote and hammer! Blah.
The idea of lynching a potentially town tracker b/c he would be lynchbait is a horrible idea.
I agree with this - I was Schrodinger's scum, and the quality of lynching me versus no lynching me could not be assessed properly till after lynching me.
If I'd flipped town people would be justly complaining of them derp hammering a town read who was a PR and it would have painted them scummier and hurt town's chances.
karnos
karnos
Mafia Scum
karnos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2256 (ISO) » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:20 am

Post by karnos »

To Thor & Nero:

So scum who claim tracker always get a free ride in your games?

I've won as scum claiming a cop-ish role at L-1, and I've won as town lynching a claimed cop (who actually flipped cop) because it was the correct play, and at least by going through with the lynch we gained a lot of useful information (admittedly I was night-killed and the town won in my absence, but that is still a win). In that scum game, town has time to re-form a wagon and lybch someone else- if they resorted to a no-lynch it would have been an even easier scum win.

I'd bet overall you would do a lot better lynching last minute claimers, at least until the meta adjusts.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #2257 (ISO) » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:58 am

Post by MathBlade »

I think you have to measure the claim against play.

I genuinely thought Thor was a tracker mostly because of Tracer's play. However in the game you and I were scum there was no way you were a town neo and not lynching you was a crazy decision by Town.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2258 (ISO) » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:39 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 2256, karnos wrote:To Thor & Nero:

So scum who claim tracker always get a free ride in your games?
Hello straw man ;)

But, in a general sense, if I null read a lynch, and said lynch claims a useful PR, and it is not mylo or lylo - yeah, that gets a pass from me.
If I town read a slot, unless the claim is actually scummy - I also give it a pass.
If I scum read a slot, unless the claim is very provable - I do not give it a pass.

Do you operate under a different scheme than that and want to debate pros/cons of a given method?
In post 2256, karnos wrote:I'd bet overall you would do a lot better lynching last minute claimers, at least until the meta adjusts.
I fail to see particular logic in that - the timing of a claim is only suspect compared to the timing of the wagon. I had a last minute wagon on me so regardless of my alignment my claim was going to come late also, to be perfectly frank, I sort of think I wasn't going to be lynched regardless of a claim, and at the time I claimed if I'd been more awake and realized it was last minute I would have expressly not claimed just to leave more options open.
karnos
karnos
Mafia Scum
karnos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2259 (ISO) » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:47 am

Post by karnos »

In post 2258, Thor665 wrote: Do you operate under a different scheme than that and want to debate pros/cons of a given method?
Yes, and no. I guess I'm okay with the disagreement, it's just as likely that your current play style may help me in my next game, so I guess I shouldn't try too hard to change it.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2260 (ISO) » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:05 am

Post by Thor665 »

Which of my three lynch statements do you disagree with as a pro-town habit?
bji
bji
Mafia Scum
bji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2261 (ISO) » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:42 am

Post by bji »

In post 2257, MathBlade wrote:I think you have to measure the claim against play.

I genuinely thought Thor was a tracker mostly because of Tracer's play. However in the game you and I were scum there was no way you were a town neo and not lynching you was a crazy decision by Town.
What about Tracer's play led you to believe that she was a tracker?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2262 (ISO) » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Thor665 »

I have five bucks on 'lurking due to being a PR' as the answer :D
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2263 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:11 am

Post by Nero Cain »

^

but I'd argue that may or may not have been lurking and there's no way to tell if he was lurking scum or inactive due to being busy.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2264 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Post by Thor665 »

I'd actually tend to suggest that since he flaked, it shows it wasn't a strategy - but, yeah, I agree with your point.
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2265 (ISO) » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:39 am

Post by Nexus »

To nominate this game and any players or mods in it, please see the Scummies nomination thread.
Trans rights are human rights.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”